Wharfedale Owners Thread - Page 50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #1471 of 1479 Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
I've always been skeptical of audiophile esoterica like bi-amping, but recently I discovered that I had some extra banana plugs and speaker wire lying around, so I decided, oh what the hell, why not.

Wasn't expecting anything dramatic, but I could swear that my Diamond 10.1s are now a good bit livelier, the highs especially but also the mid-bass seems more solid...I use them for music usually without a subwoofer, playing full range, not at reference levels or anything, but sometimes I do like to turn up for some of my favorite tunes.

Anyway, I should add that my receiver is a 10 year old digital switching Panasonic SA-XR55, which in bi-amp mode actually uses 2 amps per woofer and 1 per tweeter. It also has digital phase correction controls as well as allowing you to adjust how much power you want to go into the tweeters vs the woofers; have yet to really play around with this yet but am planning to do so this weekend.

When I previously owned the Ascend 340s with this receiver, I also bi-amped them but didn't notice more than minor differences. Was wondering if the Wharfedales being 6 ohm speakers and with their warm, laid back characteristics (the Ascends were much more neutral, bordering on clinical, 8 ohms and at least 4-5db higher in sensitivity) benefit more from the extra power?
There is passive bi-amping and active bi-amping. Your 10 year old receiver has an active bi-amp feature. That means, as you said, it has another or additional amp powering the woofer. This is no gimmick and is very much so used in powered speakers and in your case, a receiver.

The Seaton Catalyst is a Internally powered, tri-amplified design.
Three (3) ICEpower channels of amplification with 24-bit/96kHz DSP executing the crossover design and response contouring.
300W powering the coaxial 1" Neodymium compression tweeter
700W powering the 8" midrange (coaxial with tweeter)
1000W powering the pair of 12" sealed woofers.

Passive bi-amping is the "skeptical of audiophile esoterica" as you described.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review
Receiver : Denon x4100
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s/Motion 15 (center)/HTD Level 2 (surrounds)
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1479 Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
If you're happy with the voice clarity of your current Axiom center, I'd recommend hanging on to it. Especially since you already use 2.0/2.1 for music anyhow...Wharfedale tweeters are great for music, but you may find them not as forward or lively for HT.

Wharfedales will generally benefit from good quality power, so your Rotel amp should work very well with them.

If you were planning on upgrading your Axiom sub eventually, I would get the smaller less expensive Wharfedale tower and put the savings into that subwoofer budget.
Yes, I noticed they are 4 ohms and go down to 3 ohm minimum so my rotel 1075 should do fine (at least better than most avrs). I was planninng on keeping the axioms anyway but if the 220c or 240c center channel is better than my vp150s (bad horizontal axis off center) then I may change it out. And I would change the center only if I decide to sell my axioms and I'm sure someone would want the axiom center as a set with the towers for timbre matching (you know how people with OCD are). I'm quite happy with my EP500 subwoofer and it does the job wonderfully for movies and its very articulate with music which I'm very surprised cause of my huge floor plan. I would say the ep500 is the better speaker out of my whole axiom 3.1 setup in my room. I could probably find another ep500 used for sale to improve the HT experience which would be cheaper than buying new subs. Mainly just looking for better 2.0 experience. Don't get me wrong I love my axioms and everyone who hears it think my system is better than what they have heard. But sometimes I just feel like I'm not emotional into the music and I want to be drawn into the music rather than having it thrown out at me.

I thought about cheaper 230 series but since I'm used to having 4 drivers in my axiom towers I'm afraid I'm going to lose the presence of the larger tower if I do music in 2.0 and not use the sub especially in a large space (18 feet x 22 x 9 feet ceilings (18 feet x 14 feet HT space)) and it opens up to the hall and the loft upstairs. And then I saw the 250. Any idea how the 200 series compares to 10 series in sound? I've only heard the 9 series but that was over 5 years ago. I need to go audition them.

Zorba, have you heard your wharfies compared to emp teks, which is a more forward speaker between the two?

Axiom M60, VP150, EP500
Panasonic 60-S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
Rotel 1075 Amp & Rotel 1068 Processor
Monster power conditioner
post #1473 of 1479 Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
There is passive bi-amping and active bi-amping. Your 10 year old receiver has an active bi-amp feature. That means, as you said, it has another or additional amp powering the woofer. This is no gimmick and is very much so used in powered speakers and in your case, a receiver.

Passive bi-amping is the "skeptical of audiophile esoterica" as you described.
Huh, I thought I read somewhere that you have to remove the speaker's internal crossover in order to have "active" bi-amping...or something like that? It sounded awfully complicated.
post #1474 of 1479 Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Huh, I thought I read somewhere that you have to remove the speaker's internal crossover in order to have "active" bi-amping...or something like that? It sounded awfully complicated.
It does sound complicated....that's why I stick with bi-wiring instead. lol
Zorba922 likes this.

Axiom M60, VP150, EP500
Panasonic 60-S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
post #1475 of 1479 Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM

I just happened to be at best buy's website browsing around and I see they have wharfedale speakers at magnolia store! Is this new? I swear I've never seen wharfedale at my best buy magnolia store. Gonna check it out this weekend!

Axiom M60, VP150, EP500
Panasonic 60-S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
post #1476 of 1479 Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

New update! I got too excited and actually drove to best buy which is 5 min from my house. They don't have the wharfedales in the stores yet but they will in 2 weeks according to the magnolia store employee. I can not wait to audition these speakers! Does anyone on here have the 230, 240, or 250 towers? Would love to see pictures instead of online pictures.

Axiom M60, VP150, EP500
Panasonic 60-S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
post #1477 of 1479 Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Yes, I noticed they are 4 ohms and go down to 3 ohm minimum so my rotel 1075 should do fine (at least better than most avrs). I was planninng on keeping the axioms anyway but if the 220c or 240c center channel is better than my vp150s (bad horizontal axis off center) then I may change it out. And I would change the center only if I decide to sell my axioms and I'm sure someone would want the axiom center as a set with the towers for timbre matching (you know how people with OCD are). I'm quite happy with my EP500 subwoofer and it does the job wonderfully for movies and its very articulate with music which I'm very surprised cause of my huge floor plan. I would say the ep500 is the better speaker out of my whole axiom 3.1 setup in my room. I could probably find another ep500 used for sale to improve the HT experience which would be cheaper than buying new subs. Mainly just looking for better 2.0 experience. Don't get me wrong I love my axioms and everyone who hears it think my system is better than what they have heard. But sometimes I just feel like I'm not emotional into the music and I want to be drawn into the music rather than having it thrown out at me.

I thought about cheaper 230 series but since I'm used to having 4 drivers in my axiom towers I'm afraid I'm going to lose the presence of the larger tower if I do music in 2.0 and not use the sub especially in a large space (18 feet x 22 x 9 feet ceilings (18 feet x 14 feet HT space)) and it opens up to the hall and the loft upstairs. And then I saw the 250. Any idea how the 200 series compares to 10 series in sound? I've only heard the 9 series but that was over 5 years ago. I need to go audition them.

Zorba, have you heard your wharfies compared to emp teks, which is a more forward speaker between the two?
What??? I thought the Wharfies are 6 ohms, probably with dips down into 4?

WhatHiFi? gave the 220 a perfect 5 star rating vs the 3 or 3.5 star rating they'd given to the 10.1 previously, but I find that magazine quite unreliable...a couple years ago they claimed that the iPod Touch has "authoritative bass" and rated it the best SOUNDING (best GUI, that I could understand) player around, which is absolutely hilarious.

On the other hand, Steve G from CNET wrote that he didn't think the new ones were any big improvement over the 10.1 which he had previously raved about and recommended getting the 10.1 due to their spectacular closeout pricing.

Me, I ruled out the new series due to the hideous blingy metal rings that surround the drivers...ugh, pure teenager-pandering aesthetic! But I have to say, if you don't have a good foot of rear clearance for the old rear-ported models, then the downfiring new models might be worth that ease of placement.

From what I've read, the EMPTek R55ti is slightly warm (possibly due to the MTM design up top) while the R5Bi bookshelf is apparently very neutral. So generally I would still expect the Wharfies to be warmer and more laid back.

Your experience with your Axioms parallels mine with the Ascends I used to own...they were great for HT and certainly no slouch for music, but once I heard my favorite tunes play on a couple of "warm" speakers, I knew that change was in the air!

Didn't know that about the Wharfedales getting picked up by Magnolia/BB ... will have to go visit one in the next few weeks, then! Just checked their website and they're listing Feb. 12 as the availability date.

Last edited by Zorba922; Yesterday at 11:04 PM.
post #1478 of 1479 Old Today, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
To bi-wire, you simply remove the jumpers.

If the crossover is poop, then there isn't a point to active bi-wire. Either way, most of us use subs and the price to have a noticeable difference isn't something that makes bi-wiring any interesting.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review
Receiver : Denon x4100
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s/Motion 15 (center)/HTD Level 2 (surrounds)
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey

Last edited by bgtighe23; Today at 09:45 AM.
post #1479 of 1479 Old Today, 03:46 PM

Quote:
What??? I thought the Wharfies are 6 ohms, probably with dips down into 4?

WhatHiFi? gave the 220 a perfect 5 star rating vs the 3 or 3.5 star rating they'd given to the 10.1 previously, but I find that magazine quite unreliable...a couple years ago they claimed that the iPod Touch has "authoritative bass" and rated it the best SOUNDING (best GUI, that I could understand) player around, which is absolutely hilarious.

On the other hand, Steve G from CNET wrote that he didn't think the new ones were any big improvement over the 10.1 which he had previously raved about and recommended getting the 10.1 due to their spectacular closeout pricing.

Me, I ruled out the new series due to the hideous blingy metal rings that surround the drivers...ugh, pure teenager-pandering aesthetic! But I have to say, if you don't have a good foot of rear clearance for the old rear-ported models, then the downfiring new models might be worth that ease of placement.

From what I've read, the EMPTek R55ti is slightly warm (possibly due to the MTM design up top) while the R5Bi bookshelf is apparently very neutral. So generally I would still expect the Wharfies to be warmer and more laid back.

Your experience with your Axioms parallels mine with the Ascends I used to own...they were great for HT and certainly no slouch for music, but once I heard my favorite tunes play on a couple of "warm" speakers, I knew that change was in the air!

Didn't know that about the Wharfedales getting picked up by Magnolia/BB ... will have to go visit one in the next few weeks, then! Just checked their website and they're listing Feb. 12 as the availability date.
Yes, the 240 model I was most interested in is 4 ohms nominal and 3 ohm minimal and the 230 model is 8 ohms nom and 3.7 min and the 250 is 6 ohm nom and 3 ohm min. (all this according to music direct website) I hear from reviews that its easy to drive and has 89-90db sensitivity. My rotel 1075 should be just fine.

Was gonna order from music direct but I'm gonna wait 10 days to check it out at best buy (feb. 14th) and do a week trial at home to see if I like it. If it turns out I don't like it then I have some other speaker options in mind.

I understand the metal rings looking weird but I believe they have it on 10 series as well (at least you can cover it with the grill). The white gloss metal grills doesn't stand out like black does and it will go well with my modern decor (and the wife thinks upgrading to another black speakers is nothing more than keeping same speakers I have now. LOL) I watch my movies in the dark and I'm hoping the white gloss doesn't reflect much light from my plasma or anything.

I wonder if the 250 is an imrovement over the 240 model with 8 inch drivers in music? I dont mind paying more if its bigger improvement for 2.0 setup without a sub. Still trying to decide if I want full range in 240/250 compared to 80hz crossover to my subwoofer. By the way I thought about 230 tower to save money like you suggested but I feel maybe the extra midrange driver will be an improvement? I will find out soon.

And I see there is bigger center channel called 240c but its only available in UK. Same speaker as 220c but with 2 extra woofers. I wonder if I could order one from UK and have it delivered here to usa or would that cost way too much? But I will be trying out the 220c from best buy if they have it.

Axiom M60, VP150, EP500
Panasonic 60-S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Sp870 Sp870 , Wharfedale Opus 2 3 Speaker Pair Piano Finish
Gear in this thread