Wharfedale Owners Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes
post #1531 of 1549 Old 06-17-2016, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
No harm in trying, though bi-amping is widely dismissed around here.

Hope you didn't overspend on the speaker cable; you can get generic 16 gauge cable from Amazon for about $7 for 50ft or $11 for 100ft, it makes zero difference.

Nah, i spent about 90GBP on 20 meters of 4mm cable ( for me and my brothers ). I checked prices of other cables and it's amazing that what i paid for 20 meters, i would pay the same amount for ... 2 x 2m of cable of more "well known" brands and with less section ( 1.5mm )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1549 Old 06-17-2016, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Sombreireiro View Post
Nah, i spent about 90GBP on 20 meters of 4mm cable ( for me and my brothers ). I checked prices of other cables and it's amazing that what i paid for 20 meters, i would pay the same amount for ... 2 x 2m of cable of more "well known" brands and with less section ( 1.5mm )
yep, beware the "audiophile cables" snake oil scams.

Read #1 from the article:
http://www.biline.ca/audio_critic/ma...ritic_26_r.pdf

~ Are you [a] a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you [b] more of a typical "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science nor does it need to cost an arm and a leg---esp. if you ignore [a] the vocal minority. Above all, remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. ;)
post #1533 of 1549 Old 06-17-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
yep, beware the "audiophile cables" snake oil scams.

Read #1 from the article:
http://www.biline.ca/audio_critic/ma...ritic_26_r.pdf
That i know ... that's why before i bought the Van Damme Hifi cable i searched what was the overall opinion of users that had this cable.

Since users really liked this cable and since i knew i would not spend some astronomic cash on cables that i still think it's worthless in many cases ( we just need to understand how electrons behave and what type of cable we're buying ) it was a easy decision all and all the cable cost me around 5 euros a meter ( give it or take it )
Zorba922 likes this.
post #1534 of 1549 Old 06-18-2016, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Sombreireiro View Post
Zorba, thanks for the reply.

After talking with my brothers ( he too was in search for some speakers ), i decided to take the plug on new Diamond 240's and already got my Sony DN1070 , still need to connect everything, but i'm waiting for the speakers cable ( btw, got some van damme hifi's ) to arrive. The 10.6's and the Sony DN550 is going to my brother's.

One quick question, do you guys think the 240's will gain with bi-amping? I'm eager to try it ... i know that 2.5 / 3 ways usually have better results with bi-amping then the two ways, but i'm kind of tossed between bi-amping or just leave it.
Looking forward to hearing how the Diamond 240's sound & work out for you.
post #1535 of 1549 Old 06-18-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbefound View Post
Looking forward to hearing how the Diamond 240's sound & work out for you.
Next week i'll post my results. I just went to the store to pick them up ... and damn ... the boxes are huge ... i almost had to leave one behind
post #1536 of 1549 Old 07-03-2016, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm interested in Jade 3 bookshelf speakers and a Jade C2 Center speaker. I found the bookshelf speakers with a cherry finish on musicdirect, but they only had the center in piano black. Are there any other U.S. distributors of Wharfedale speakers where I may be able to find a Jade C2 with cherry finish?
post #1537 of 1549 Old 07-31-2016, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So after getting all ecxited and going up to Fry's Electronic's in San Diego today to get a pair of Energy RC-70. I became disappointed that the only pair they had in stock was a display pair that were actually a return from a customer who apprently doesn't care about speakers at all. They had these $2000 speakers marked down to $179 because the grills were missing, the tweeters were pushed in, and one speaker had a big chunk of wood missing from the corner!
Since I was set on bringing home a new set of speakers today, I kept looking around the store for an alternative. Fry's much have special contracts with Klipsch, Polk, and JBL, because this like all they have to choose from, and I wasn't seeing anything of interest within those brands.
After I returned home I started looking at Wharfedales. They appear highly respected and have mostly positive reviews for many of thier recent speakers so I decided to check out thier current product lines. I had been eyeballing the Diamond 10.7 for a while, but today my attention focused on the Diamond 250. I can't find any reviews anywhere. Cosmetically they look pretty sweet, and Spec wise they are closer to the fuller range of sound I had been looking for. 32hz-24khz-6db, and 35hz-20khz+/-3db. The whole point is to replace my Focal Chorus 807vw Bookshelf speakers, and hopefully eliminate the need for my Dayton 12" subwoofer. I don't do movies, but I'm a big fan of 2 channel music. I always felt that the 12" sub is too big for my room and not entirely necessary for my music if I can find decent full range speakers. Something that can hit low to mid 30hz range should be fine.
To make a long story short, I took a leap of faith and ordered a pair of Diamond 250s. It was mostly out of fustration at what happened to at Fry's today. But did I make a mistake? Is there a reason noone talks about the Diamond 250?

Last edited by Leroy Bad; 07-31-2016 at 10:57 PM.
post #1538 of 1549 Old 08-01-2016, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post
The whole point is to replace my Focal Chorus 807vw Bookshelf speakers, and hopefully eliminate the need for my Dayton 12" subwoofer. I don't do movies, but I'm a big fan of 2 channel music. I always felt that the 12" sub is too big for my room and not entirely necessary for my music if I can find decent full range speakers. Something that can hit low to mid 30hz range should be fine. I took a leap of faith and ordered a pair of Diamond 250s. It was mostly out of fustration at what happened to at Fry's today. But did I make a mistake? Is there a reason noone talks about the Diamond 250?
Well, the Diamond 2xx line is still relatively new, replacing the 10.x line. The 5.25" TM bookshelf models, the 220 and 10.1, are much more popular due to their low price, and also have more professional reviews. The sound signature of the tower versions is not going to be much different aside from the larger cabinets and more numerous drivers obviously being capable of playing a lot lower and louder.

However, be aware that Wharfedale and Focal are going to have very different sound signatures. Focal is known to be more forward and detailed, whereas the Wharfedale Diamond series is usually described as laid back and warm. (Some reviewers like What HiFi magazine have said that the 2xx line is a tad more neutral than the 10.x)

I have heard both and prefer the Wharfedales for prolonged listening sessions, but my taste in music runs mainly towards the mellow side of jazz, classical and acoustic/voice-dominated alternative rock...if I were still a headbanger like in my teenage years or if I listened to more uptempo dynamic music, I might lean more towards a Focal type of speaker.

So it really is a matter of personal preferences. I will be very curious to hear your impressions once you get the 250s! And out of curiosity, what made you decide against the 10.7 especially given that it's $800/pair vs. $1300/pair for the 250s?

~ Are you [a] a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you [b] more of a typical "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science nor does it need to cost an arm and a leg---esp. if you ignore [a] the vocal minority. Above all, remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. ;)

Last edited by Zorba922; 08-01-2016 at 06:17 AM.
post #1539 of 1549 Old 08-01-2016, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
So after getting all ecxited and going up to Fry's Electronic's in San Diego today to get a pair of Energy RC-70. I became disappointed that the only pair they had in stock was a display pair that were actually a return from a customer who apprently doesn't care about speakers at all. They had these $2000 speakers marked down to $179 because the grills were missing, the tweeters were pushed in, and one speaker had a big chunk of wood missing from the corner!
Since I was set on bringing home a new set of speakers today, I kept looking around the store for an alternative. Fry's much have special contracts with Klipsch, Polk, and JBL, because this like all they have to choose from, and I wasn't seeing anything of interest within those brands.
After I returned home I started looking at Wharfedales. They appear highly respected and have mostly positive reviews for many of thier recent speakers so I decided to check out thier current product lines. I had been eyeballing the Diamond 10.7 for a while, but today my attention focused on the Diamond 250. I can't find any reviews anywhere. Cosmetically they look pretty sweet, and Spec wise they are closer to the fuller range of sound I had been looking for. 32hz-24khz-6db, and 35hz-20khz+/-3db. The whole point is to replace my Focal Chorus 807vw Bookshelf speakers, and hopefully eliminate the need for my Dayton 12" subwoofer. I don't do movies, but I'm a big fan of 2 channel music. I always felt that the 12" sub is too big for my room and not entirely necessary for my music if I can find decent full range speakers. Something that can hit low to mid 30hz range should be fine.
To make a long story short, I took a leap of faith and ordered a pair of Diamond 250s. It was mostly out of fustration at what happened to at Fry's today. But did I make a mistake? Is there a reason noone talks about the Diamond 250?
I think you are going to like the 250s fine .I own both Energy, and just got a pair of 220 s.They both are fine speakers sound a lot alike, but I prefer the 220s due to the fact that the 220s highs are a little more detailed.They are going to sound quite different than the focals that you are use to.They may be harder to drive than the focals , so without a sub you are going to need a decent amp or AVR. to drive them to really high vol.I bet you really like them keep us informed.I just looked at the specs, on those monsters they are better than my 220s you should be fine.Those suckers weigh 65lbs each. Should be able to go low.

Last edited by Banks1; 08-01-2016 at 07:10 AM.
post #1540 of 1549 Old 08-01-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:

... And out of curiosity, what made you decide against the 10.7 especially given that it's $800/pair vs. $1300/pair for the 250s?
It was within my budget, plus its's newer, more refined in the crossover section, bigger magnets and the stated specs seemed more reliable. The 10.7 states it goes as low as 30hz but doesn't state any decible offset, so 30hz at what? -3 , -6, -10db? The 250s at least tell us 35hz ±3db and 32hz -6db.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks1 View Post
I think you are going to like the 250s fine .I own both Energy, and just got a pair of 220 s.They both are fine speakers sound a lot alike, but I prefer the 220s due to the fact that the 220s highs are a little more detailed.They are going to sound quite different than the focals that you are use to.They may be harder to drive than the focals , so without a sub you are going to need a decent amp or AVR. to drive them to really high vol.I bet you really like them keep us informed.I just looked at the specs, on those monsters they are better than my 220s you should be fine.Those suckers weigh 65lbs each. Should be able to go low.
Do your binding post take Banana plugs?
post #1541 of 1549 Old 08-01-2016, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
It was within my budget, plus its's newer, more refined in the crossover section, bigger magnets and the stated specs seemed more reliable. The 10.7 states it goes as low as 30hz but doesn't state any decible offset, so 30hz at what? -3 , -6, -10db? The 250s at least tell us 35hz ±3db and 32hz -6db.

Do your binding post take Banana plugs?
Yes they will.
post #1542 of 1549 Old 08-08-2016, 04:52 PM

Question What to do with the boxes?

According to the inside of the boxes, the warranty will be void if returned without the original packaging. Since the boxes are about the size of small coffins and theres a lot of packaging material on the inside. It seems impractical to have to save these for 5 years. Does this rule apply if I bought the speakers from Music Direct and not Wharfedale directly?
What have you all done with your boxes and packaging material?
post #1543 of 1549 Old 08-16-2016, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Just happened to see music direct has Wharfedale Reva line. Looks like new Diamond 200 series line but cost much more. I'm assuming higher quality components??? From what i read is that Reva is trickled UP Diamond series? I'm thinking its an improved Diamond with much higher cost. Anyone heard the difference or compare them to each other? Reva is same price as Jade series on Music Direct so I wonder which one is the better speaker between the two?

Living room theater
Axiom M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
Panasonic S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
Rotel 1075 Amp & Rotel 1068 Processor
Monster power conditioner
post #1544 of 1549 Unread Yesterday, 09:51 AM

Liked: 0
I have Diamond 220 LCR in HT. But I feel that the dilogues are not coming as loud as I feel should come. After measuring by YPAO in Yamaha RXV677 I increased level of centre but still I am not satisfied. And it is just 8 feet from MLP. Is it because it has soft dome twitter? Should I replace centre with some other brand having other type of twitter? I am from India.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
post #1545 of 1549 Unread Yesterday, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Turn off all processing and audennsey and manually set all speakers to small at 80hz crossover. You may need to turn your center level up a db or two. Get spl meter and set it all to 75db once you get the master volume up to 75db. See if that makes any difference. I personally have not heard the wharfedales but the soft domes are not as forward sounding to metal tweeters but you should still be hearing clearly. If not, it could be your room or you just don't like the speakers.

Living room theater
Panasonic S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
post #1546 of 1549 Unread Yesterday, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruShra View Post
I have Diamond 220 LCR in HT. But I feel that the dilogues are not coming as loud as I feel should come. After measuring by YPAO in Yamaha RXV677 I increased level of centre but still I am not satisfied. And it is just 8 feet from MLP. Is it because it has soft dome twitter? Should I replace centre with some other brand having other type of twitter? I am from India.
Experiment with a higher crossover for the center speaker only, such as 100Hz or even 120Hz. Some people report this can result in clearer mids (dialogue).

If that doesn't work, then yes you may have to look around for a mismatched center---I personally use a BIC FH-6LCR with my Wharfedale mains very successfully...not sure if that make/model of speaker is available to you in India though.

PS. You are not the first person to find the voice clarity of the Wharfedale center speaker to be lacking. My theory is that the same warm laid back sound signature that we love for music does not provide optimal voice clarity during HT.

post #1547 of 1549 Unread Yesterday, 10:13 PM

Liked: 0
@ereed and zorba922 thanks for quick reply.
I used YPAO just to get an idea. Then I set all speakers manually as small , xover at 80. Increased the level of centre and also midrange gain in some graph setting. I have sub SVS PB1000. But I am afraid Yamaha does not have separate xover setting for each speaker.
I do not have SPL meter so far but may get it if required for measurement.
My room size is 9x18x9 feet and the system with tv is presently arranged at width or along longer side wall which I am going to arrange along shorter wall after getting tv unit furniture so that viewing distance shall be around 15 feet. The walls are hard brick walls.

post #1548 of 1549 Unread Yesterday, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm, in that case experiment with the 100Hz and 120Hz crossover for all the speakers anyway. The PB1000 should be able to fill in the gaps, and maybe you'll get an improvement out of that center.

post #1549 of 1549 Unread Today, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruShra View Post
@ereed and zorba922 thanks for quick reply.
I used YPAO just to get an idea. Then I set all speakers manually as small , xover at 80. Increased the level of centre and also midrange gain in some graph setting. I have sub SVS PB1000. But I am afraid Yamaha does not have separate xover setting for each speaker.
I do not have SPL meter so far but may get it if required for measurement.
My room size is 9x18x9 feet and the system with tv is presently arranged at width or along longer side wall which I am going to arrange along shorter wall after getting tv unit furniture so that viewing distance shall be around 15 feet. The walls are hard brick walls.

Your avr does. If you set each speaker to small and 80hz individually then that means each speaker is crossed over at 80hz. Just means it plays 80hz and up only. Make sure sub is set at same in the avr and on your subwoofer amp itself turn your crossover at highest point or bypass. That means your sub will take 80hz and below and play it. The meter just adjust each speaker levels one db at a time so they are all equal all around when you are doing your test tones. Looks like you're on right track. You can try 100hz like Zorba suggested....but if you are able to localize the subwoofer at 100 then you can fix it back to 80hz. Its all about trying different settings to see whats right for your system and room. Reason we suggest 80hz normally is cause that is THX suggestion but it depends on your speakers as well. Let us know how it sounds and maybe a picture showing your system. You would be suprised we can make extra few changes such as pulling center out further from cabinet, etc and it makes big difference.

Living room theater
Panasonic S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Sp870 Sp870 , Wharfedale Opus 2 3 Speaker Pair Piano Finish
Gear in this thread