Wharfedale Owners Thread - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #1651 of 1656 Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post
They look in great condition and according to seller work great . He is asking $175 for the pair.

Looking to use them for surround. Good deal or no?
I agree with Zorba. These speakers are easily good enough to be used as mains or a separate 2.1 setup. You can get much cheaper speakers for surround duty, but if you can get them for $100-120, you should get them. You can always re-purpose them to a starring role later on.

What other speakers do you have?

Kef Q100 FL/FR, Kef Q200c center, JBL Loft 40 surrounds , JBL SP 150 & Bic F12 subs, Denon AVR710Ws, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Samsung cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1656 Old Today, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
I agree with Zorba. These speakers are easily good enough to be used as mains or a separate 2.1 setup. You can get much cheaper speakers for surround duty, but if you can get them for $100-120, you should get them. You can always re-purpose them to a starring role later on.

What other speakers do you have?
He came back and said final price at $140 for the pair. the person is about 1 .5 hour drive from me in Connecticut.

I currently just bought 2 RBH towers and 1 RBH center speaker which i have not installed yet. I was hoping to pair these wharfedales with my 3.1 setup to make it a 5.1.
post #1653 of 1656 Old Today, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2981 Post(s)
Liked: 2064
Quote:
I currently just bought 2 RBH towers and 1 RBH center speaker which i have not installed yet. I was hoping to pair these wharfedales with my 3.1 setup to make it a 5.1.
That would make more sense if you do a lot of native surround music, or use all-stereo mode during parties. For HT I would choose the aforementioned Klipsch speakers for their smaller size, higher sensitivity and treble energy. (Not to mention them being $50 cheaper, or rather $70 cheaper once you factor in gas for the 3 hour drive.)

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)

post #1654 of 1656 Old Today, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
He came back and said final price at $140 for the pair. the person is about 1 .5 hour drive from me in Connecticut.

If you have no other plans for the Wharfedales other than surround duty, maybe consider getting a used pair of speakers from you local pawn shop for $25-30 or For about the round trip + speaker price you can get 2 RBH R5Bi bookshelf speakers without ever leaving your living room and have full matching 5.1 setup.
https://rbhsound.com/bstock-r5bi.php
Zorba922 likes this.

Kef Q100 FL/FR, Kef Q200c center, JBL Loft 40 surrounds , JBL SP 150 & Bic F12 subs, Denon AVR710Ws, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Samsung cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #1655 of 1656 Old Today, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
If you have no other plans for the Wharfedales other than surround duty, maybe consider getting a used pair of speakers from you local pawn shop for $25-30 or For about the round trip + speaker price you can get 2 RBH R5Bi bookshelf speakers without ever leaving your living room and have full matching 5.1 setup.
https://rbhsound.com/bstock-r5bi.php
I purchased a full Wharfedale setup, 225 220c 210, for a surround set and now am conflicted as to using the 210's for rear surround duty. they are so much better than just for that.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

GOD Is Good
post #1656 of 1656 Old Today, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingnubian View Post
I purchased a full Wharfedale setup, 225 220c 210, for a surround set and now am conflicted as to using the 210's for rear surround duty. they are so much better than just for that.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
My point exactly! Seems a complete waste of their talent.
In your case it makes more sense since your surrounds won't be better than your mains. Matching surrounds to your fronts isn't that critical, but is always a good idea whenever possible.
FWIW, I'm not really missing anything with my inexpensive surrounds. If anything, I'll upgrade the subs long before the surrounds get considered.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Sp870 Sp870 , Wharfedale Opus 2 3 Speaker Pair Piano Finish
Gear in this thread