Awesome sound and pressure levels!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1296 Old 01-10-2008, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The tweeter stopped working on one of my Modus 1.6 speakers. The other one is fine. Any recommendations for what to do with the dead speaker (or the speaker pair)? Anybody got a broken Modus 1.6 and need a second one? Or do you run front projection and want a third full size tower in the front?

Philip Hamm
post #183 of 1296 Old 01-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano_1 View Post

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and would like to ask some questions. I have the following setup.

Room size is 14' x 14'
Receiver-Onkyo TX-DS838
TV- Sharp Aquos LC37D62U
DVD- Toshiba SD 7990 (planning on upgrading to either Bluray or HD with receiver)
Front Speakers- in wall Wharfedale PI W8
Center Speer-In wall JBL HT155 ( might change to a B&W Cinema)
Rear Speakers- Wharfedale EVO DFS 20 Bipolar
Sub - JBL PB10

I have an idea for you, use 2 PI-6CSTs as your center and run them in parallel. They are 8ohm so it s/b ok for your receiver. Then run your receivers setup to lower the overall center a little to match the sound of the rest of your system. If you keep your speakers in the same line you'll keep the timbre much closer. Otherwise use another PI-W8 for your center.
The ceiling speakers would work well for your rear surrounds too I think.
post #184 of 1296 Old 01-13-2008, 05:06 AM

I Thought about another PI W-8 for the center in fact I purchased another pair. My problem is I already have a hole for the center and in order to use another PI-W8 I need drywall and paint. If I use the B&W Cinema I can make the hole just slightly larger and it will fit. I'm just not sure how it would sound against the Wharfedales. By the way the sound from the PI-W8's are almost as good as my PI40's I have in another room.
post #185 of 1296 Old 01-17-2008, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi, I just purchased a NOS pair of EVO 30's in maple finish. This is my first set of full range speakers I have had in quite a few years and I am very impressed. I am now in the market for a matching center and as these have been discontinued for a while I have not been able to locate one. Has anyone used the Diamond 9.CM with their EVO's? And if so what is your opinion. Any other suggestions for a good match would be appreciated.

Thanks.
post #186 of 1296 Old 01-30-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk highlander View Post

Hi, I just purchased a NOS pair of EVO 30's in maple finish. This is my first set of full range speakers I have had in quite a few years and I am very impressed. I am now in the market for a matching center and as these have been discontinued for a while I have not been able to locate one. Has anyone used the Diamond 9.CM with their EVO's? And if so what is your opinion. Any other suggestions for a good match would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You may find better luck going to the UK for your center channel.
I went to EBAY UK and got lucky. Shipping sucks but if you really want to match your 30's.....
post #187 of 1296 Old 01-30-2008, 08:31 AM

has anyone heard their Wharfedale DFS bipolar speakers rattle when playing loud. With a large good sub, things rattle when hung on the wall like the DFS speakers. I'm sure you heard of stories where picture frames fall off the wall, with people grinning from ear to ear with the bass impact. While I'm sure the Whafedale bipolar speakers would not fall off the mounts, I'm not sure if they won't rattle in their mounts. I would much rather have something bolted to the wall, but the hook behind the bipolar speakers makes this impossible.
post #188 of 1296 Old 01-30-2008, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

I wish i could find a pair of evo 10's in maple they are impossible to find.

HD-DVD COUNT:141
BLU-RAY:192
X360 GAMERTAG:trickygmoney80
post #189 of 1296 Old 01-30-2008, 09:39 AM

I purchased the 9.1 and SW150 but haven't connected them yet. So far they are doing well ;-) Hopefully this weekend. I have never owned any kind of audio equipment, unless you include my iPod Nano, so this is a big change. (I'm more of a bookworm)

Using a Sharp LC42D64U, Sharp Bluray and Onkyo SR605 which is supposed to arrive today.

It will be interesting to see how it goes, as I am hearing impaired and wear hearing aids (well, I'm supposed to wear them)
post #190 of 1296 Old 02-04-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Howdy,

I have a set of 4 Rubiance RB-21 Bookend speakers and 2 Rubiance RCs.

BTW if anyone has any of the RBs going spare that they want to get rid of, then PM me please. I'm trying to go from 6.1 to 7.1

Cheers

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #191 of 1296 Old 02-06-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khewa View Post

has anyone heard their Wharfedale DFS bipolar speakers rattle when playing loud. With a large good sub, things rattle when hung on the wall like the DFS speakers. I'm sure you heard of stories where picture frames fall off the wall, with people grinning from ear to ear with the bass impact. While I'm sure the Whafedale bipolar speakers would not fall off the mounts, I'm not sure if they won't rattle in their mounts. I would much rather have something bolted to the wall, but the hook behind the bipolar speakers makes this impossible.

I have a pair of these and I had the same worry. What I did was to find screws that had a good size for fit and a large head. I drilled 1 screw into a stud and another into a wall anchor. I than fit the speaker to the wall by tightening the screws as tight as possible with just enough clearance for the speaker to snuggling slide down over the screw head. It took a few extra minutes but no rattle.
post #192 of 1296 Old 02-12-2008, 01:30 PM

FYI - the AYSE vendor for Wharfedales was simply relocated to a new website - etailonline.com - the prices are still the same (excellent). Same guy, same service.
post #193 of 1296 Old 02-12-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellerbu View Post

FYI - the AYSE vendor for Wharfedales was simply relocated to a new website - etailonline.com - the prices are still the same (excellent). Same guy, same service.

Thanks for the info.

I didn't even know about this site. I had to grab some Evo 2 10's all the way from Bristol England.
post #194 of 1296 Old 02-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone with experience with the Diamond 9.6s? I currently have B&W CM1s, which are great, but have been itching to return to towers (had Energy C-9s before) because I'm missing that extra bass extension and dynamic oomph. I'm also after something just a bit warmer and more laid back. Since I'm financially tight (as always), I'm looking at options around the price I could get for selling my B&Ws, probably ~$650-700.

The Energy RC-30s are contenders, as well as the Rocket RS450s since both are on sale atm for $700. The 9.6s are attractive however because of 1) 4-way design, 2) impressive extension (even more so than my monstrous C-9s), 3) nice curves, 4) less than $600 a PAIR on that etail online site (is that for real?).

If anyone has any recommendations or advice I'd appreciate it. For instance the Evo2 10 is around the same price as the 9.6. Despite being much smaller (bookshelf) would the Evo2 provide a much improved sound?

edit: If I sold my sub as well I'd have around $1,000 to play with. That would cover the Evo2 30s on etail. Big step up?
post #195 of 1296 Old 02-13-2008, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

I would highly recommend the Evo2's. Are you wanting this for HT for for basic music listening? If for HT then I would go with the Evo2 10's and keep the sub. If for 2 channel music then go with the 30's w/o the sub. I like the Diamond series speakers, but the Evo's are definitely a step up in terms of sound quality.
post #196 of 1296 Old 02-13-2008, 07:43 AM

I used a pair of Valdus 500s for my L&R for some time, my dad currently has them. I couldnt find a center to match them.... I got the towers for free from a friend
post #197 of 1296 Old 02-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakar80124 View Post

I would highly recommend the Evo2's. Are you wanting this for HT for for basic music listening? If for HT then I would go with the Evo2 10's and keep the sub. If for 2 channel music then go with the 30's w/o the sub. I like the Diamond series speakers, but the Evo's are definitely a step up in terms of sound quality.

That's what I figured. This will be for roughly 80% music / 20% movies and games. Also, is the only difference between the 30 and 40 their height? The 40 is 42" while the 30 is 34". Looks like the 40 has a little more bass extension due to the increased cabinet volume. Would it be worth it to save for the 40? I'm just worried about the 30 being so short placing the tweeter kinda low. I suppose I could get some marble slabs or something to raise the speakers up a bit and also help reduce floor resonance.

And how different are the Evo2 and Opus lines? They look very similar except all the Opus' have the dome midrange, while only the Evo2 50 does. Would that be a bigger or smaller jump than from Diamond 9 to Evo2? Not that I could afford any of the Opus' right now, but would they be worth saving up for?

edit: Since they're so close in dimensions and specs, can anyone compare the Evo2 30's with the Energy RC-30s? Or, any comparisons between Wharfedales and other big brands like B&W, Paradigm, Energy etc. which I've heard.
post #198 of 1296 Old 02-13-2008, 10:08 AM

I have Evo 20s which I now use as surround speakers. I don't consider them short at all (83 cm not including spikes) -- they're at perfect ear level when I'm seated. My Opus 3s (115 cm) are certainly a bit taller, but overall they're just huge.

I'd recommend trying what you can afford now, which sounds like the Evo2 30 (currently $915 at AYSE). They're supposed to be an improvement over the Evo, maybe a half step closer to Opus quality. Evo2 50 is $1,400, and Opus 1 is $1,407.

If, later on, you can afford to save up for, say Opus 2 ($1,689), the Evo2 30 could be your surrounds. I don't know how long those prices will last, as I assume eventually the new Opus line that was released last year will be offered at AYSE and prices will go up accordingly. I don't think you can beat the value for the Opus series right now at those prices.
post #199 of 1296 Old 02-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastnbulbous View Post

I have Evo 20s which I now use as surround speakers. I don't consider them short at all (83 cm not including spikes) -- they're at perfect ear level when I'm seated. My Opus 3s (115 cm) are certainly a bit taller, but overall they're just huge.

With my seating, my ear level is around 35"-36" or ~89cm. The Evo2 30s are listed at 86cm but is that including the baseplate and spikes? At least the tweeter is nearly right at the top of the cabinet. I suppose the 30s will do fine. I mean I am (was?) considering the RC-30 which is 33.5" tall.

Can you describe the differences in sound between your Evo and your Opus? Obviously the Opus should have more bass and probably sound bigger and more dynamic, but with both at reasonable volumes, are there any glaring faults with the Evo?
post #200 of 1296 Old 02-13-2008, 10:39 AM

Maybe you need to slouch more on the couch like I do

The mid-low range of the Evo 20 is beautiful. I'd say it's main fault is the high end rolls off so it's not quite as crisp and detailed as the Opus 3 or my Rega R3. The Evo Center has a similar issue. I'm pretty confident that the Evo2 30 would fare much better, not sure about the Evo2 Center.

Opus can be a world of difference. It seems to have much more potential depending on the source. I think a higher end pre/pro and amp setup can make even more difference than what I currently use.

More:
What's Your Favorite Tower Speakers <$3,000?
Amps for Opus
post #201 of 1296 Old 02-13-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastnbulbous View Post

Maybe you need to slouch more on the couch like I do

The mid-low range of the Evo 20 is beautiful. I'd say it's main fault is the high end rolls off so it's not quite as crisp and detailed as the Opus 3 or my Rega R3. The Evo Center has a similar issue. I'm pretty confident that the Evo2 30 would fare much better, not sure about the Evo2 Center.

Opus can be a world of difference. It seems to have much more potential depending on the source. I think a higher end pre/pro and amp setup can make even more difference than what I currently use.

More:
What's Your Favorite Tower Speakers <$3,000?
Amps for Opus

The Evo 2 Center is certainly an improvement over the original Evo center but to me it still needs some massaging to get it staging properly.

I currently have a nimble EVO 2 front (a pair of EVO 2 10's with EVO 2 Center and a pair of original EVO' 8's as surrounds)

The 8's were originally in the front and I thought the Evo 2 center sounded like a better match with them than when I put the Evo 2 10's on.

I had to tweak the center settings on my Yamaha receiver pretty significantly to get things sounding more accurate.

I would think that pairing the Evo 2 center with Evo 2 30's or 40's would be even more difficult.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds friggin fantastic but I had to work for it a little.
post #202 of 1296 Old 02-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists_of_Legend View Post

I would think that pairing the Evo 2 center with Evo 2 30's or 40's would be even more difficult.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds friggin fantastic but I had to work for it a little.

How exactly does the sound differ between the center and your 10s? Also, what did you change in your receiver to "correct" for this?
post #203 of 1296 Old 02-14-2008, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have the EVO 30's and a diamond 9.CM center and I like the way they work together. The centers sealed 3 way design works very well for me. I have to keep my speakers close to the wall so the front porting of the towers and the sealed center is very important to me. I find the 9.CM to be very detailed but not harsh and it can produce enough bass to work well with an 80hrz crossover. I have found myself doing much more 2-channel listening with these EVO 30's. My Onkyo prepro has a direct mode which uses them full range and I think they really excel with acustic music and womens voices. Nora Jones has never sounded better.

The other bonus was I picked up the EVO's for 500/pr on epray and my local dealer only had one of the centers in stock which I was able to get under the price of AYS.
post #204 of 1296 Old 02-14-2008, 09:14 AM

I have a pair of Modus MFM-7 Towers and a Modus Center channel which I have had for years and I love. Now, I am looking for a pair of surround speaker that will match. What do you think I should go with?

Also, How are the Wharfedale subs?
post #205 of 1296 Old 02-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibbo View Post

And how different are the Evo2 and Opus lines? They look very similar except all the Opus' have the dome midrange, while only the Evo2 50 does. Would that be a bigger or smaller jump than from Diamond 9 to Evo2? Not that I could afford any of the Opus' right now, but would they be worth saving up for?

edit: Since they're so close in dimensions and specs, can anyone compare the Evo2 30's with the Energy RC-30s? Or, any comparisons between Wharfedales and other big brands like B&W, Paradigm, Energy etc. which I've heard.

I spent significant time comparing the Opus 1 speakers to the B&W 804S, Monitor Audio Silvers and PSB speakers. The Opus 1 only has the single woofer and the bass did not match the 804's, however imo, their midrange sounded as good if not better than the 804's especially with female voices. I liked the MA's too, but the Opus is more in league with the MA Gold GS series than the Silvers.
The mid on the Opus is what sold me the most on it, as well as the price. I would say overall the Opus 2 sounds about as good as the B&W 804S, but at half the price. Plus the finish and detail of the Opus line is very nice as they put several coats of lacquer on them. They do have cheap grills that I had to replace though.

I sold my Opus 1's and now have the Opus 2's which have the 2nd woofer.
So comparing the Evo2 10's - I think they sound very good as well. The biggest difference to them and the Opus line is the mid range and the nice Opus cabinets.
I also compared the Evos to some Dynaudio's and Quad 21L speakers that both cost hundreds more than the Evos but the Evo's definitely sounded better to me, and the dealer agreed with me. He thought the Evo's were his best sounding speaker other than his Quad ESL's (which are in a completely different category). So to sum it up, if all I had was a nice simple 2 channel stereo with the Evo2-10's, I could definitely live with that.
post #206 of 1296 Old 02-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakar80124 View Post

So to sum it up, if all I had was a nice simple 2 channel stereo with the Evo2-10's, I could definitely live with that.

Thanks. Also, it's probably safe to assume that the 30 has an improved midrange over the 10 because it's a 3-way?

Nice to hear that you thought the Opus 2 could play with the 804S because I've heard those and they were indeed fantastic.
post #207 of 1296 Old 02-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Their mid might be a little better, definitely the 30s would have better and deeper bass extension.
post #208 of 1296 Old 02-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

I noticed that TSTO has added the 8.1, 8.2 & 8.3 Wharfedales at good prices and a $250 subwoofer. I haven't seen these for sale in over a year.

I once ordered a pair of 8.2's from Amazon a couple of years ago, but they came back as backordered so I bought something else.
post #209 of 1296 Old 02-18-2008, 10:30 PM

Anyone have a set of pics of EVO Mk2s setup?

We need some Wharfedale love in here!

Toby

You can't take the sky from meÂ
post #210 of 1296 Old 02-19-2008, 01:45 AM

Hey guys, just registered to post here.

I just pulled the trigger on this setup:

Opus 2 Floor standing for the front (the 1 model, was gonna be hard, not to mention much more expensive, to get the 2 or 3. Almost regretting it already. Oh well, it will still be sweet)
Opus 2 M2 for the rear
Opus 2 Centre
SW300 sub

With a Pioneer VSX-LX70 receiver, which I will use to drive these until I find a good amp that I can afford.

Will let you know how it is, once things are setup and run in a bit. Hopefully get it all up this weekend (all new setup for this room, plus new TV. lots of work)
Reply Speakers

Tags
Sp870 Sp870 , Wharfedale Opus 2 3 Speaker Pair Piano Finish
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page