Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #271 of 550 Old 10-24-2007, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just a feeler - if anyone is interested in a pair of RBH 61-SE/R and a single RBH 661-SE/R in a Walnut Burl/satin finish, feel free to PM or email me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 550 Old 10-25-2007, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dunno if I would consider them "full range" though they do put out some good accurate bass down in the 40hz area. They are a sealed 2 1/2 way design and they are bi-wireable/bi-ampable. If you have other questions I'll be happy to try and answer them,... though I am no expert, I do own some MC series speakers and am extremely happy with them.

Mark

post #273 of 550 Old 10-27-2007, 06:51 PM

Yes, these can be bi-amped.
I have a pair in my living room sitting next to what were Wharfedale's top of the line Emerald 99's. One thousand vs. two thousand dollar speakers.
The RBH's are connected while the Wharfedale's are ornaments.
Very satisfying connected to a Citation 25 preamp and Conrad-Johnson amp.
Also connected is an RBH TS-10AP sub. Only for extra oomph when playing Mahler.
post #274 of 550 Old 11-01-2007, 08:09 AM

Does anyone know what the difference is with the "reference" series of the signature series speakers?
For instance what is the difference between a 61-SE and a 61-SE/R?
post #275 of 550 Old 11-01-2007, 09:22 AM

The /R stands for reference speaker, which means the speaker drivers and crossover are upgraded. It's my understanding that the 61-SE/R uses a similar (if not the same set of drivers as the T-1/R, albeit a less number of drivers in total). RBH recently issued a press release which discusses the different in the two drivers when they announced the T-1/R series.

Per the RBH press release, "RBH Sound incorporated higher performance drivers and redesigned crossover networks to improve upon the award-winning platform of the Signature Series T System. The tweeters were upgraded with extremely high performance tweeters with a larger motor structure, increased power handling and improved resolution. The woofers which give the Signature Series its great bass to upper-midrange performance were upgraded to an exclusive RBH Sound aluminum cone woofer featuring a fixed phase plug. The use of a fixed-position phase plug extends the frequencies these drivers are capable of reproducing, resulting in increased sonic clarity. Crossover network components were then modified to manage the higher quality driver components, providing increased audio quality and power handling."

The whole T-1/R press release is posted on the RBH web site http://www.rbhsound.com/press/CEDIA_...elease_VPO.pdf.

The short answer is that the /R series should produce even better sound the the standard Signature line and should also be capable of handling more power. Obviously, this comes at a price.

Hope this helps.
post #276 of 550 Old 11-01-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA HDman View Post

The short answer is that the /R series should produce even better sound the the standard Signature line and should also be capable of handling more power. Obviously, this comes at a price.

Hope this helps.

Thanks VA HDman, that helps a lot. After hearing the 61-SE it is hard to believe they could get any better. I guess the /r is just icing on the cake.
post #277 of 550 Old 11-02-2007, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekPM19 View Post

I wonder if you even went through this thread or just stopped by to get an answer for your question. I not sure if this guy has the TK speakers or not. But if you would have gone back one page you would have found this post. This is the 3rd time I have posted this link in this thread because people don't look through threads for the information.

I'll add your link to the first post in the thread...that might help a little, and if folks still miss it you can reference that spot easily.
post #278 of 550 Old 11-03-2007, 08:28 AM

Hi guys! I am fairly new to the forum and like most noobs, very overwhelmed by all the info on this site. I have decided to use RBH speakers in my new HT and would really like to hear some feedback/suggestions on what I am planning. Like a lot of folks, I can't audition these so I need to rely a lot on the experience of the members on what I can expect. Anyway, here is my planned equipment and setup.

I have a dedicated 16x21 room with 9.5ft ceilings that is 100% light controlled, double drywall, greenglued, etc.. I will have two rows of sesating, first at 11' and second at 18'. The screen will be a 110" Stewart and a JVC RS-1. Receiver will probably be a Denon or Yamaha in the $2k range, so any suggestions here would be great as well.

Most of my HT use will be SatHD and Movies with maybe 10% or less being music. I watch a lot of sports, so this will be the main focus of the room along with primetime cable shows on HD. My biggest concern is to have EXCELLENT dialogue coming from the center.

For speakers, I am planning on using RBH T1s for LCR and 66s for the surrounds and rears. Sub will be a JL 13" Fathom.

Does anyone have this similar setup? Especially the T1s for LCR? I would like to know is it worth the extra cost to go with T1s vs. 661s for LCR.

Also, will I cover the full range with the T1s and the JL Sub? Will there be any gaps sound range from the T1s to the JL Sub?

Thanks for the help and again would appreciate any feedback on different options or specific equipment to drive the RBH speakers.

jason
post #279 of 550 Old 11-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Jason,

Sounds like a good way to go. Yes you will get outstanding dialog with a T1 center. Only you can decide if the price difference is worth the cost. My two concerns with what you are looking out would be;
First, the size of your room,....the T1's need a lot of room.
Second, I think I'd suggest 61-SE or 661-SE for the rear surrounds, and go with the 66-SE on the sides.
My opinion, you really cant go wrong no matter what speakers you go with in the Signature or Reference lines.

Mark

post #280 of 550 Old 11-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd7 View Post

Does anyone know what the difference is with the "reference" series of the signature series speakers?

I've explained it in page 9 of this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=rbh&page=9
post #281 of 550 Old 11-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd7 View Post

The biggest difference is the tweeter, the Signature series use a Vifa D27 and the Reference Series use a ScanSpeak 9500. The other big difference (though not as big IMO as the tweeter) is the 6 1/2" phase plug version of RBH's 6 1/2" aluminum mid-range driver.

Mark

post #282 of 550 Old 11-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

I'll add your link to the first post in the thread...that might help a little, and if folks still miss it you can reference that spot easily.

Thanks because my comments do look a little bad. I really didn't mean it the way it reads.
Allen
post #283 of 550 Old 11-04-2007, 07:47 PM

[quote=11427;12119561]Jason,

Sounds like a good way to go. Yes you will get outstanding dialog with a T1 center. Only you can decide if the price difference is worth the cost. My two concerns with what you are looking out would be;
QUOTE]

So, do you think the T1s are too much for this size room? Would 661SE/Rs as LCR be a better fit? Would I still get excellent dialogue from the center and an excellent HT experirence? I don't mind paying the extra $2500 if I will get the value out of the T1s in my HT.
post #284 of 550 Old 11-21-2007, 08:27 AM

I need some smallish tower speakers and found a good deal online for a pr of demo RBH 641-SE. I have already fought past "only if they are in-walls" and then "OK those lifestyle speakers are OK" to the last word..."Black small towers" in regards to WAF in the Living Room

Since I have not heard them, I would like some thoughts from here on what other speakers they compare with in terms of acoustic qualities. My HT has real wood Paradigm Studio 100v2 (still have not heard anything that makes me want to upgrade) and my current auditioned favorites (for my application and budget) are the Energy RC-30 new, B&W 704 used, and Vienna Acoustics Bach Grand used. From this list, you can probably tell that I like good dynamics, solid to slightly warm midrange, detailed highs, and decent bass.

Speaker brands I do not personally like as much for various reasons include Dynaudio, Def Tech, ACI, Martin Logan, Polk LSi.

So, if anyone has any insight I'd love to hear it. BTW, I do not have WAF approval for a sub (yet?) so if that helps...
post #285 of 550 Old 12-02-2007, 04:57 PM

[quote=jpterry;12125082]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11427 View Post

Jason,

QUOTE]

So, do you think the T1s are too much for this size room? Would 661SE/Rs as LCR be a better fit? Would I still get excellent dialogue from the center and an excellent HT experirence? I don't mind paying the extra $2500 if I will get the value out of the T1s in my HT.

I have the 1266's for LR and a 661 for a center channel and 66's for side surrounds in a similar sized room. Dialog on movies is crystal clean and dynamics are great. A major contributing factor for clear dialog is acoustic treatment to reduce reverb and echo. They are all run off separates (B&K amp which is what RBH uses last time I talked with Roger) and Rotel Processor. Out of all the amps I've tried with this setup the B&K was the perfect match.
post #286 of 550 Old 12-02-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_D View Post

I need some smallish tower speakers and found a good deal online for a pr of demo RBH 641-SE. I have already fought past "only if they are in-walls" and then "OK those lifestyle speakers are OK" to the last word..."Black small towers" in regards to WAF in the Living Room

Since I have not heard them, I would like some thoughts from here on what other speakers they compare with in terms of acoustic qualities. My HT has real wood Paradigm Studio 100v2 (still have not heard anything that makes me want to upgrade) and my current auditioned favorites (for my application and budget) are the Energy RC-30 new, B&W 704 used, and Vienna Acoustics Bach Grand used. From this list, you can probably tell that I like good dynamics, solid to slightly warm midrange, detailed highs, and decent bass.

Speaker brands I do not personally like as much for various reasons include Dynaudio, Def Tech, ACI, Martin Logan, Polk LSi.

So, if anyone has any insight I'd love to hear it. BTW, I do not have WAF approval for a sub (yet?) so if that helps...

The 641's are nice. I considered them before I bought the 1266's. I would consider them more neutral then warm like B&W, but that is usually based on source equipment too. IMHO I wouldn't consider them an upgrade to the Studio 100's, neither would I consider the Studio 100's 'smallish towers'.
post #287 of 550 Old 12-02-2007, 05:03 PM

I have a pair of 1266's for mains in my home theater which sees some critical music listening and was wondering how others have them setup? With the woofers facing out or in?
post #288 of 550 Old 12-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

I have set my 1266's up both ways,... What I have found is they generally sound better facing out (I have had them in a number of rooms and houses). That is as long as they are at least 2-3 ft away from a side wall.

Try 'em both ways, see what you like better

Mark

post #289 of 550 Old 12-04-2007, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon8christine View Post

The 641's are nice. I considered them before I bought the 1266's. I would consider them more neutral then warm like B&W, but that is usually based on source equipment too. IMHO I wouldn't consider them an upgrade to the Studio 100's, neither would I consider the Studio 100's 'smallish towers'.

No, I realize they not an upgrade...but they need to live in a living room as opposed to a family room thus the need for something with a smaller presence. Thank you for your reply...I ended up with a pr of Energy RC-30...and perhaps I can weasel keeping my 100's
post #290 of 550 Old 12-09-2007, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

After about 10 months of looking for an upgrade for my 14-year old M&K S-100Bs, I decided on the RBH 1266-SE/R tower speakers. On the Home Theater Cruise, I kept asking folks their favorite speaker (that can be afforded by mere mortals), and RBH was the most consistently mentioned brand.

The speakers should arrive tomorrow night. I hope my expectations are not too high, but I anticipate these speakers will keep me happy for another 14 years.

ISF Certified
post #291 of 550 Old 12-09-2007, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R. Anderson View Post

After about 10 months of looking for an upgrade for my 14-year old M&K S-100Bs, I decided on the RBH 1266-SE/R tower speakers. On the Home Theater Cruise, I kept asking folks their favorite speaker (that can be afforded by mere mortals), and RBH was the most consistently mentioned brand.

The speakers should arrive tomorrow night. I hope my expectations are not too high, but I anticipate these speakers will keep me happy for another 14 years.

Welcome to our little club!
post #292 of 550 Old 12-12-2007, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I've never bi-amped speakers before, but I've got some extra amps laying around and thought it would be worth the experiment. My thought is to run the L and R pre-amp outs from my Onkyo receiver to the external amp (a old B&K bad boy bridged for 250 watts per channel), and then run the extra speaker wire from the B&K amp to the top connectors on the 1266SE/Rs (I know to remove the gold strap between the speaker connectors).

Does this sound right? I assume I will need to do some tweaking to get a smooth sound level between the woofer and upper-end drivers

Any other tips or suggests to bi-amping? Does it make a noticeable difference? My main amp is the new Onkyo TX-SR805 THX Ultra2 receiver, so there is plenty of power on that end.

I'm still positioning the speakers, but I'm really bowled over by the detail and dynamic range. My initial comment would be "effortlessly powerful." Interestingly, they also blend better with my M&K tri-pole surrounds so that I hear more detail from the rear channels. The front sound stage is much wider and more detailed (the M&Ks tended to center most of the sound stage). Fortunately, my wife really likes the "tower" aspect of the speakers over the square-box look of the M&Ks, and she is glad to see the speaker stands gone.

So far so good.

ISF Certified
post #293 of 550 Old 12-14-2007, 05:45 PM

RBH just announced a price increase to be effective Jan. 1, 2008. Just in case anyone is looking to buy some speakers, you may want to accelerate the process.
post #294 of 550 Old 12-18-2007, 05:02 AM

To follow-up on the prior message, the recently announced RBH price change generally looks like a 5-6% increase. There was a slight shift in the pricing between the Signature series in-wall baffles and the enclosures, but the net result is still a 5-6% increase. The MSPR on certain speakers (e.g., T-30 LSE) remain unchanged. If you are looking to buy some RBH speakers, you may want to consider placing the order before year-end. If there is anyone in the DC/Northern Virginia area needing help acquiring RBH speakers, please PM me.
post #295 of 550 Old 12-19-2007, 08:52 PM

I know RBH didn't want to have a price increase but the cost of raw materials and shipping have gone through the roof (i.e. Copper, Aluminum, Wood, and Oil). I'm glad to hear that it is only 5%.
post #296 of 550 Old 12-19-2007, 09:39 PM

I agree 5% is pretty reaonable when you consider the increase in cost for material, labor and distribution. I think the PPI (Producer Price Index), which reflects the cost of raw materials at the manufacturer level, is looking like its is going to come in around 7.5% for the year. RBH is still a great bang for the buck.
post #297 of 550 Old 12-20-2007, 11:21 AM

Kevin,
Another way you can bi-amp your speakers is to use the LFE output from your receiver and run that to the amp. That will ensure that you are getting all of the low end info off of any 5.1 track. If you do this I would recomend setting your crossover a little bit higher (i.e 100-125 Hz).
post #298 of 550 Old 12-21-2007, 12:03 PM

Hi All,

Looking to upgrade my current LCR speakers which are the Kenwood LS-X1F THX Ultra vertical D'Appolito array LCRs. The RBH 661-SE seems to have similar specs, although it is rated a bit better on the low end (goes down to 50Hz instead of 80), although I'd probably keep the crossover on my preamp to 80hz as that's THX spec. Keeps a flatter curve as far as I know between the subs and the monitors.

Just wondering what kind of performance I can expect out of the RBHs. Also I've had the Kenwoods for over 10 years and they've worked great this whole time and have at least several more years on them, except for the center channel which has been dropped a few times, but still sounds great...just has some crunches and dings in it now, so am looking for a speaker package that will last a long time as well.

Any info people can give would be great.

Driving the Kenwoods with Integra Research RDC-7.1 preamp and B&K 200.7 amp.

Also looking at Outlaw LCR, Ascend CMT-340-SE LCR, AV123 x-cs LCR, Klipsch KL-650-THX and Atlantic Technologies 6200e LCR speakers.

Yeah, I have a thing for "D" array speakers. I mostly watch movies and play games on the system and the controlled directivity that a D array gives you just works better for this stuff, IMO.

Anyhow, looking for input. Thanks in advance.
post #299 of 550 Old 12-21-2007, 02:27 PM

You will probably have a hard time finding anyone on this thread that will have any negative comments about RBH speakers -- especially the Signature Series units.

I love them, they are very crisp sounding to me, they put out a very clear vocal and have plenty of low end. They can handle the power -- you don't have any distortion when you crank them up.

You really need to find a local dealer and listen to them for yourself. Go to the RBH web site and use the Dealer Finder program to find a dealer in your area. There are several of them here on this thread -- me included. Then take your favorite disk with you to the dealer's showroom and listen to the whole CD. RBH, like many other high-end speaker manufacturers, prohibit es dealers from selling their speakers on the Internet. If you ultimately decide to buy RBH, please go through an authorized local dealer, otherwise you will void the warranty. Some of the Internet sites claim that they provide you warrantied speakers, but in reality they don't -- protect your investment.
post #300 of 550 Old 12-21-2007, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've already contacted the local RBH dealer in the area.

Hopefully, they do in house trials/have a very liberal return policy as I don't put much stock in in-store listening.

The only way to truly tell how a speaker will perform in your home is to listen to it in your home, connected to your equipment, calibrated by you.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page