**Official RBH Owner's Thread** - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #691 of 694 Old 03-08-2017, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Anyone have any experience with the single 12 subwoofers from the SV line? I'm seriously considering the SV-12N, as I already have an amp I was using to run my sub (Adcom GFA-555) and it would be more cost effective. I've never heard any of their products though, so a little personal experience would go a long way.

At this point, my choices are basically go the DIY route and build a 15" Dayton cab or the like, or something along the lines of thus RBH, but it's the only one I have found that isn't internally amplified.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 694 Old 03-09-2017, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by feeshta View Post
Anyone have any experience with the single 12 subwoofers from the SV line? I'm seriously considering the SV-12N, as I already have an amp I was using to run my sub (Adcom GFA-555) and it would be more cost effective. I've never heard any of their products though, so a little personal experience would go a long way.

At this point, my choices are basically go the DIY route and build a 15" Dayton cab or the like, or something along the lines of thus RBH, but it's the only one I have found that isn't internally amplified.
I have experience with the RBH SV line of speakers and subs. I use the SV-1212 when for demo purposes (I'm an RBH dealer). The SV-12 is certainly a good subwoofer. From a quick Google search, it looks like the Adcom is rated at 200WPC. The SV-12 can handle that - and more.

Consider the SV-12NR. That upgrades you to the reference 12" driver to get a few more dB output.

I just ordered dual SX-12PRs for a customer. Performance is the same as the SV line but the cost is a but less due to the cabinet finish on the SV vs SX line.

Do you have a dealer in your area? You can't order the SX or SV series online. If you have a dealer nearby, they should be able to let you see/hear the subs.

post #693 of 694 Old 03-09-2017, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismarck View Post
I have experience with the RBH SV line of speakers and subs. I use the SV-1212 when for demo purposes (I'm an RBH dealer). The SV-12 is certainly a good subwoofer. From a quick Google search, it looks like the Adcom is rated at 200WPC. The SV-12 can handle that - and more.

Consider the SV-12NR. That upgrades you to the reference 12" driver to get a few more dB output.

I just ordered dual SX-12PRs for a customer. Performance is the same as the SV line but the cost is a but less due to the cabinet finish on the SV vs SX line.

Do you have a dealer in your area? You can't order the SX or SV series online. If you have a dealer nearby, they should be able to let you see/hear the subs.
I do have a dealer on paper, but they have not responded to an email inquiry and do not appear to have a showroom. It's a company that seems to specialize in home theater room renovations, and other "high end" electronic upgrades like home automation, at least from what I can gather from their website. No other dealership shows up within the 100 mile limit for a search on RBH's website. I live north of Baltimore MD.

The Adcom is 2x100 at 8 Ohm, or in this case 1x700 at 8 ohms bridged. Should be plenty of power.

Can you compare the RBHs to anything else you have heard? If there is something that is in the same vein that I might be able to listen to, then it could give me more confidence in ordering something without a listening session. Provided the local dealer is actually willing to order a product that they are not going to earn an install fee on.

The big thing is I have slightly more confidence in the sound of something like this than a DIY Dayton solution, and I know I can't replicate the quality looks at all, so it could be worth the extra cash. Most of the other alternatives are simply stupid-expensive for what they are or not up to the task if the price is right.

post #694 of 694 Old Today, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by feeshta View Post
I do have a dealer on paper, but they have not responded to an email inquiry and do not appear to have a showroom. It's a company that seems to specialize in home theater room renovations, and other "high end" electronic upgrades like home automation, at least from what I can gather from their website. No other dealership shows up within the 100 mile limit for a search on RBH's website. I live north of Baltimore MD.

The Adcom is 2x100 at 8 Ohm, or in this case 1x700 at 8 ohms bridged. Should be plenty of power.

Can you compare the RBHs to anything else you have heard? If there is something that is in the same vein that I might be able to listen to, then it could give me more confidence in ordering something without a listening session. Provided the local dealer is actually willing to order a product that they are not going to earn an install fee on.

The big thing is I have slightly more confidence in the sound of something like this than a DIY Dayton solution, and I know I can't replicate the quality looks at all, so it could be worth the extra cash. Most of the other alternatives are simply stupid-expensive for what they are or not up to the task if the price is right.
If your local dealer isn't responsive, you can give RBH a call. Shane Rich is their head engineer. He could tell you anything you need to know about the sub and how it would pair with that amp.

RBH uses a 500w RMS amp with the reference version of that sub, and from what I hear, it can handle more than that. Audioholics has a review of the 10" powered/reference version of what you're looking at. You can get an idea of the driver, cabinet, and crossover quality your dealing with in that review. http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer...-sx10r-and-s10

As for sound quality, have no concerns there. It's not like speakers where people tend to like certain curves and you need to demo a bunch of models/brands. If there's one criticism, it's that RBH subs roll off more quickly than they need to so they don't play as low as they could. That doesn't bother me too much, as I'd rather have a quicker/steeper roll-off than hear distortion.

I'm not sure where you could find a similar passive sub from a brick and mortar manufacturer. It's pretty unique than you can order powered/passive and standard/reference versions of each of their subs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page