**Official RBH Owner's Thread** - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #691 of 720 Old 03-08-2017, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Anyone have any experience with the single 12 subwoofers from the SV line? I'm seriously considering the SV-12N, as I already have an amp I was using to run my sub (Adcom GFA-555) and it would be more cost effective. I've never heard any of their products though, so a little personal experience would go a long way.

At this point, my choices are basically go the DIY route and build a 15" Dayton cab or the like, or something along the lines of thus RBH, but it's the only one I have found that isn't internally amplified.
tracerit likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 720 Old 03-09-2017, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by feeshta View Post
Anyone have any experience with the single 12 subwoofers from the SV line? I'm seriously considering the SV-12N, as I already have an amp I was using to run my sub (Adcom GFA-555) and it would be more cost effective. I've never heard any of their products though, so a little personal experience would go a long way.

At this point, my choices are basically go the DIY route and build a 15" Dayton cab or the like, or something along the lines of thus RBH, but it's the only one I have found that isn't internally amplified.
I have experience with the RBH SV line of speakers and subs. I use the SV-1212 when for demo purposes (I'm an RBH dealer). The SV-12 is certainly a good subwoofer. From a quick Google search, it looks like the Adcom is rated at 200WPC. The SV-12 can handle that - and more.

Consider the SV-12NR. That upgrades you to the reference 12" driver to get a few more dB output.

I just ordered dual SX-12PRs for a customer. Performance is the same as the SV line but the cost is a but less due to the cabinet finish on the SV vs SX line.

Do you have a dealer in your area? You can't order the SX or SV series online. If you have a dealer nearby, they should be able to let you see/hear the subs.

post #693 of 720 Old 03-09-2017, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismarck View Post
I have experience with the RBH SV line of speakers and subs. I use the SV-1212 when for demo purposes (I'm an RBH dealer). The SV-12 is certainly a good subwoofer. From a quick Google search, it looks like the Adcom is rated at 200WPC. The SV-12 can handle that - and more.

Consider the SV-12NR. That upgrades you to the reference 12" driver to get a few more dB output.

I just ordered dual SX-12PRs for a customer. Performance is the same as the SV line but the cost is a but less due to the cabinet finish on the SV vs SX line.

Do you have a dealer in your area? You can't order the SX or SV series online. If you have a dealer nearby, they should be able to let you see/hear the subs.
I do have a dealer on paper, but they have not responded to an email inquiry and do not appear to have a showroom. It's a company that seems to specialize in home theater room renovations, and other "high end" electronic upgrades like home automation, at least from what I can gather from their website. No other dealership shows up within the 100 mile limit for a search on RBH's website. I live north of Baltimore MD.

The Adcom is 2x200 at 8 Ohm, or in this case 1x700 at 8 ohms bridged. Should be plenty of power.

Can you compare the RBHs to anything else you have heard? If there is something that is in the same vein that I might be able to listen to, then it could give me more confidence in ordering something without a listening session. Provided the local dealer is actually willing to order a product that they are not going to earn an install fee on.

The big thing is I have slightly more confidence in the sound of something like this than a DIY Dayton solution, and I know I can't replicate the quality looks at all, so it could be worth the extra cash. Most of the other alternatives are simply stupid-expensive for what they are or not up to the task if the price is right.

Last edited by feeshta; 03-13-2017 at 11:54 AM.

post #694 of 720 Old 03-11-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I do have a dealer on paper, but they have not responded to an email inquiry and do not appear to have a showroom. It's a company that seems to specialize in home theater room renovations, and other "high end" electronic upgrades like home automation, at least from what I can gather from their website. No other dealership shows up within the 100 mile limit for a search on RBH's website. I live north of Baltimore MD.

The Adcom is 2x100 at 8 Ohm, or in this case 1x700 at 8 ohms bridged. Should be plenty of power.

Can you compare the RBHs to anything else you have heard? If there is something that is in the same vein that I might be able to listen to, then it could give me more confidence in ordering something without a listening session. Provided the local dealer is actually willing to order a product that they are not going to earn an install fee on.

The big thing is I have slightly more confidence in the sound of something like this than a DIY Dayton solution, and I know I can't replicate the quality looks at all, so it could be worth the extra cash. Most of the other alternatives are simply stupid-expensive for what they are or not up to the task if the price is right.
If your local dealer isn't responsive, you can give RBH a call. Shane Rich is their head engineer. He could tell you anything you need to know about the sub and how it would pair with that amp.

RBH uses a 500w RMS amp with the reference version of that sub, and from what I hear, it can handle more than that. Audioholics has a review of the 10" powered/reference version of what you're looking at. You can get an idea of the driver, cabinet, and crossover quality your dealing with in that review. http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer...-sx10r-and-s10

As for sound quality, have no concerns there. It's not like speakers where people tend to like certain curves and you need to demo a bunch of models/brands. If there's one criticism, it's that RBH subs roll off more quickly than they need to so they don't play as low as they could. That doesn't bother me too much, as I'd rather have a quicker/steeper roll-off than hear distortion.

I'm not sure where you could find a similar passive sub from a brick and mortar manufacturer. It's pretty unique than you can order powered/passive and standard/reference versions of each of their subs.

post #695 of 720 Old 03-28-2017, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 40
So, I just started this thread with this very question, but in retrospect I realized that maybe it was better to ask this question in here.

I recently got a good price on a discontinued RBH 441-SE to use as a center channel on my HT setup, so I bought it. My original plan was to use R55ti towers alongside it, but I didn't know about the timbre match.

Now I have the opportunity to pick up a set of SX6300's (not /R)m, but the problem is that googling around, while there are plenty of reviews of the sx-6300/R's I can't find any reviews what so ever for the non-/R versions.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these?

Also, they'll be my first 4 ohm speakers. My Denon AVR-x1300w only has wattage specs for 8 and 6 ohm (but it does state that it can handle 4 ohm speakers on all channels). I hope it has enough output to sound good at 4 ohm with these, which suggest a 100-300W amp.

I appreciate any input.

Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x1300w, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box

Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,
Headphone Amp: Schiit Jotunheim, Heaphones: Sennheiser HD650 and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro
Speaker Amp: Emotiva UPA-200, Speakers: RBH 41-se, Sub SVS SB12-NSD
post #696 of 720 Old 03-29-2017, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey guys my RBH speakers finally arrived here is a look of the SV-831 on top of the SV-1212NR. Very exited. The speakers look way better in person they are massive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Danabw, gingus, bismarck and 2 others like this.
post #697 of 720 Old 03-29-2017, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
They are big. I have the signature t2 and they are about as tall as me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
post #698 of 720 Old 03-31-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
So, I just started this thread with this very question, but in retrospect I realized that maybe it was better to ask this question in here.

I recently got a good price on a discontinued RBH 441-SE to use as a center channel on my HT setup, so I bought it. My original plan was to use R55ti towers alongside it, but I didn't know about the timbre match.

Now I have the opportunity to pick up a set of SX6300's (not /R)m, but the problem is that googling around, while there are plenty of reviews of the sx-6300/R's I can't find any reviews what so ever for the non-/R versions.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these?

Also, they'll be my first 4 ohm speakers. My Denon AVR-x1300w only has wattage specs for 8 and 6 ohm (but it does state that it can handle 4 ohm speakers on all channels). I hope it has enough output to sound good at 4 ohm with these, which suggest a 100-300W amp.

I appreciate any input.
My demo system has SV-6500 towers and I think they sound incredible. I went from Klipsch to Def. Tech to Polk Audio to Martin Logan and finally to RBH. Of all of them, I like the SV towers the best, but I'm an RBH dealer so take that for what it's worth .

The reference versions of their subwoofers yield significant upgrades in driver and amp quality, but speakers are more subjective. The SX6300 will sound very similar to the SV-6500. RBH uses the same drivers across the SX, SV, and SI lines. So, you don't have to demo the 6300 vs the 6300/R to get an idea of the difference. You could listen to some of their other speakers using the same drivers - or find reviews online.

Also, you're fine with the AVR-x1300W. A better AVR or separate amp might get you better sound out of those speakers, but they won't hurt your AVR.

post #699 of 720 Old 03-31-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
My demo system has SV-6500 towers and I think they sound incredible. I went from Klipsch to Def. Tech to Polk Audio to Martin Logan and finally to RBH. Of all of them, I like the SV towers the best, but I'm an RBH dealer so take that for what it's worth .

The reference versions of their subwoofers yield significant upgrades in driver and amp quality, but speakers are more subjective. The SX6300 will sound very similar to the SV-6500. RBH uses the same drivers across the SX, SV, and SI lines. So, you don't have to demo the 6300 vs the 6300/R to get an idea of the difference. You could listen to some of their other speakers using the same drivers - or find reviews online.

Also, you're fine with the AVR-x1300W. A better AVR or separate amp might get you better sound out of those speakers, but they won't hurt your AVR.
Tha k you for your input, it is very valuable.

I was less worried about damage to the AVR-x1300w (I know it has overcurrent protection and will shut down if worse comes to worse)

My concern was that with the 88db sensitivity of these speakers it might not be powerful enough. On paper the amp is only 80W per channel but that's with 8ohm speakers. I I have no idea what the wattage output would be at 4ohm. I understand the wattage goes up as impedance goes down, but I wasn't certain it would be a enough to meet the RBH recommendation of 100-300w for these speakers.

I Iive in a household of less technically minded people who will also use the system. My concern was that they might drive it too high to clipping while I'm not around and cause damage to the speakers. These will be my first really nice speakers and I want them to survive a long time.

(Right now I am using a set of Infinity Primus 360 towers and a infinity beta c250 as my center, and I picked up all three of those for $80 total on Craigslist)

Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x1300w, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box

Headphone Amp: Schiit Jotunheim, Heaphones: Sennheiser HD650 and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro
post #700 of 720 Old 03-31-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Tha k you for your input, it is very valuable.

I was less worried about damage to the AVR-x1300w (I know it has overcurrent protection and will shut down if worse comes to worse)

My concern was that with the 88db sensitivity of these speakers it might not be powerful enough. On paper the amp is only 80W per channel but that's with 8ohm speakers. I I have no idea what the wattage output would be at 4ohm. I understand the wattage goes up as impedance goes down, but I wasn't certain it would be a enough to meet the RBH recommendation of 100-300w for these speakers.

I Iive in a household of less technically minded people who will also use the system. My concern was that they might drive it too high to clipping while I'm not around and cause damage to the speakers. These will be my first really nice speakers and I want them to survive a long time.

(Right now I am using a set of Infinity Primus 360 towers and a infinity beta c250 as my center, and I picked up all three of those for $80 total on Craigslist)
Upgrading your AVR isn't a bad idea, but don't let it stop you from getting the speakers. Sure, it's possible that you could drive the AVR so hard that it goes into clipping and damages the speakers, but that's very unlikely. That would only be a possibility if you really crank it up during a movie so your receiver is running near or at full power. Even if clipping occurs, as long as you turn it down, you should be fine.

I often times set a volume limit on receivers so customers don't accidentally turn the volume up to 100%. Also, you should set the speakers to small with a crossover of 60Hz or 80Hz, assuming you have a sub to handle the bass. That will relieve some stress on your AVR.

If you get the speakers, post some pictures!

post #701 of 720 Old 04-03-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Upgrading your AVR isn't a bad idea, but don't let it stop you from getting the speakers. Sure, it's possible that you could drive the AVR so hard that it goes into clipping and damages the speakers, but that's very unlikely. That would only be a possibility if you really crank it up during a movie so your receiver is running near or at full power. Even if clipping occurs, as long as you turn it down, you should be fine.

I often times set a volume limit on receivers so customers don't accidentally turn the volume up to 100%. Also, you should set the speakers to small with a crossover of 60Hz or 80Hz, assuming you have a sub to handle the bass. That will relieve some stress on your AVR.

I pulled the trigger!

Pretty soon I'll be rocking an all RBH (except the subs) HT system:

Main L/R: sx-6300 Towers
Center: 441-se
Surrounds: 41-se

I've kind of been scraping the barrel for good deals on new old stock of discontinued parts, and I think I hit the jackpot, but it wasn't cheap.

Bass will be provided by a pair of SVS PC13-Ultra's if I can get their stupid webpage to place the order. Whenever I click "add to cart" nothing happens. Going to have to contact them tomorrow during business hours.

Hopefully I didn't make any mistakes with these discontinued models. After all, things get discontinued for a reason

Once everything is set up, there WILL be pictures!

post #702 of 720 Old 04-04-2017, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I'm thinking if getting three R5bi speakers for my front but disappointed to see that they charge tax in my state of California even though they don't have a location or service center here. Is there a time when they have sales or has anyone been able to get a discount for ordering say three or more speakers?
post #703 of 720 Old 04-07-2017, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New member here and I just ordered a pair of gloss black SV-61r with the ATM tweeter. I wanted to thank everyone on here who give their opinions and comparisons. I am a sucker for reviews so threads like these have really provided a lot of incite.I have been researching for several months looking to upgrade from my current system (SVS prime towers, Sony STR-DN1030). Very much looking forward to receiving them

Now its time to start planning to add on a amp. Hopefully that will not take me as long to decide
post #704 of 720 Old 04-12-2017, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti_101 View Post
New member here and I just ordered a pair of gloss black SV-61r with the ATM tweeter. I wanted to thank everyone on here who give their opinions and comparisons. I am a sucker for reviews so threads like these have really provided a lot of incite.I have been researching for several months looking to upgrade from my current system (SVS prime towers, Sony STR-DN1030). Very much looking forward to receiving them

Now its time to start planning to add on a amp. Hopefully that will not take me as long to decide
Great Freudian slip/auto-correct:

"I am a sucker for reviews so threads like these have really provided a lot of incite."

I'd agree, you were incited to buy! Congrats on your new setup.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. FAQ is frequently (often daily!) updated, check back often! || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
post #705 of 720 Old 04-13-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Got all my speakers yesterday. Wow are those SX-6300's heavy and difficult to get out of their boxes! They forgot to include the feet in the box though, and they seem unstable without them. I don't want them falling over and crushing a stepson, so I am waiting to set them up until they send me the feet. Small mishap. I'm not upset. Jayce at RBH was great help. (seriously, I have a 70 email chain with him, and not short emails either. He was very helpful and very patient with me trying to get the best deal I could on discontinued models.) A real model for customer service, so I'm not going to let the feet thing upset me.

In total I ordered:
-2x sx-6300 towers
-1x 441-se as a center channel
-4x 41-se bookshelves, two for my surrounds and two for the desktop in my office.

While I wait for the feet, here's a shot of the 41-se's in my office:

(click for bigger)

Bummer, my speaker stands wound up being ~2" too short. The woofer seems to pretty much clear the screens though, and I'm not sure I can tell the difference, so I am not concerned. They are also VERY close to the corners of the room. I was worried the rear ports would be a problem, but they don't seem to be.

I got a used Emotiva UPA-2 amp for a good price on craigslist to power them, and they sound great! Deceptively good bass out of these small speakers. When I first powered them on, I didn't even notice that I had forgotten to plug in the sub. Of course, then I remembered, and the added bass was clear.

Sub is handled by my SVS SB12-NSD that I used to use on my HT:

I'm liking the nice powerful midrange compared to most speakers I've heard which can be a bit V-shaped. Also unlike many other speakers I've used, the treble is very clear without being harsh or sibilant. I could listen to these all day without them being fatiguing.

Very happy with these, and really excited to hear the sx-6300's on my HT system when

post #706 of 720 Old 04-16-2017, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Liked: 1377
What's the street price on a pair of SV-61R bookshelves?

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
post #707 of 720 Old 04-20-2017, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of TK-5CT towers, with a TK515C center and PC10 sub. I read a glowing review of the towers but there isn't too much else written. So, if anyone has a general comment I'd appreciate hearing it. I will be using the system for movies only, in a 21x15x9 room. So, I need to get a set of surround speakers to go with this. Should I stick to RBH/Emptek and if so, should I try to pick up from any particular series.

Many thanks for any responses.
post #708 of 720 Old 04-20-2017, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvinps2626 View Post
Hey guys my RBH speakers finally arrived here is a look of the SV-831 on top of the SV-1212NR. Very exited. The speakers look way better in person they are massive.

I've owned cars smaller than those speakers!
Danabw likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #709 of 720 Old 04-23-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
I've owned cars smaller than those speakers!
can't wait to listen to them

post #710 of 720 Old 04-23-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Here we go.

I'm not super happy with these pictures, as it was getting darker, my flash is broken, and I didn't have enough light to take good shots, so I'll probably take more at another time, but here they are for now:

Click for larger:

Visible are my RBH SX6300 towers, my RBH 441-se center, and my two SVS PC13-Ultra subs in the corners.

Out of the shot are my surrounds which are RBH 41-se's.

Here is a closer shot of the one on the left:

bismarck and Transmaniacon like this.

post #711 of 720 Old 04-25-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Here we go.

I'm not super happy with these pictures, as it was getting darker, my flash is broken, and I didn't have enough light to take good shots, so I'll probably take more at another time, but here they are for now:

Click for larger:

Visible are my RBH SX6300 towers, my RBH 441-se center, and my two SVS PC13-Ultra subs in the corners.

Out of the shot are my surrounds which are RBH 41-se's.

Here is a closer shot of the one on the left:

Nice looking set up I bet it sounds amazing congrats

post #712 of 720 Old 04-25-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvinps2626 View Post
Nice looking set up I bet it sounds amazing congrats

Thanks, Yeah it does sound pretty awesome.

I have an odd issue though. Audyssey complains that the polarity is reversed on my two SX6300's. I've checked and double checked that isn't the case.

I emailed RBH and asked if they could be wired wrong, but they seem to think it's the way the sound reflects in my room.

Right now, I'm intentionally running them with the polarity reversed, so I can get through Audyssey without an error message, and it sounds awesome, just feels a bit weird.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

post #713 of 720 Old 04-28-2017, 06:20 AM

Ugh. I wrote up a long reply and lost it. :|

In short - great looking system. I like the subs in the corners. Now you need source material worthy of the speakers. I really like this Ray Charles CD: https://www.amazon.com/Ray-Charles-G.../dp/B000BPFBVW

Audyssey gets polarity wrong all the time. You can figure out the truth by listening to two-channel music and swapping the wires a few times. Out of phase speakers sound diffuse (poor imaging), with less bass, and generally just kind of "weird." Sit in the sweet spot, listen to music, swap the wires a few times, and you'll figure it out.

Welcome to the RBH group!
mattlach likes this.

post #714 of 720 Old 05-02-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Ugh. I wrote up a long reply and lost it. :|

In short - great looking system. I like the subs in the corners. Now you need source material worthy of the speakers. I really like this Ray Charles CD: https://www.amazon.com/Ray-Charles-G.../dp/B000BPFBVW

Audyssey gets polarity wrong all the time. You can figure out the truth by listening to two-channel music and swapping the wires a few times. Out of phase speakers sound diffuse (poor imaging), with less bass, and generally just kind of "weird." Sit in the sweet spot, listen to music, swap the wires a few times, and you'll figure it out.

Welcome to the RBH group!
UGH, I hate when that happens.

If you use Chrome as your browser, may I recommend a plugin named Lazarus Form Recovery? It has saved my butt in similar situations many times, allowing me to rescue posts I thought I had lost. (It may be available for other browsers as well)

Thank you for the reassurance regarding the polarity. It helps put my mind at ease!

In order to get Audyssey to stop complaining about the polarity, I intentionally hooked up the speakers with reversed polarity. Was this the wrong thing to do? Should I keep the wires hooked up correctly and just ignore the polarity warning message instead?

Since I took that picture I no longer have the center 441-se standing on yoga blocks. Not only was that ugly, but I also needed the space.

Now the center is standing on top of an Emotiva UPA-2 2 channel amp I'm planning on using to better power the sx6300's. (Apparently Denon receivers have pretty poor THD's at 4ohm, and I also don't want to risk clipping)

I got some half inch thick rubber feet to put between the amp and the center speaker, both to isolate it and to provide enough space so that the amp can vent the heat it will put out once I start using it.

Now I just need a receiver with pre-amp outs. (Wish I knew I'd want this before I bought my current receiver.)

I am currently looking at the Denon AVR-x3300w, as it both has Multeq XT-32 which will allow Audyssey to measure both the subwoofers separately, but it costs a pretty penny. The x3200w also has pre-amp outs, but it lacks the XT-32 dual subwoofer measurements. (It has two subwoofer outs, but they are electrically identical).

The Emotiva MC700 looks very attractive, but it lacks Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, and I'd need to pick up another amp for my remaining three channels (center and rears) so I'm leaning against it.

Are there any other models I should be looking at? I'm leaning towards another Denon, because I finally got everyone in the house used to the Denon idiosyncrasies, and how to use Zone 2, and it would be better to just keep the user interface mostly the same. (though I do see that it uses a different remote)

Anyway, thanks again,
Matt

post #715 of 720 Old 05-08-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
UGH, I hate when that happens.

In order to get Audyssey to stop complaining about the polarity, I intentionally hooked up the speakers with reversed polarity. Was this the wrong thing to do? Should I keep the wires hooked up correctly and just ignore the polarity warning message instead?
Hook the speakers up properly and ignore Audyssey. That's the standard advice. A listening test should confirm that the RBH speakers are wired properly internally.

I'm partial to Denon receivers. They've been pretty reliable for me, and tend to balance features, prices, and build quality well. The X3300w is a solid receiver. You could get a refurb X4200 from accessories4less for $799 and get the pre-outs and get MultEQ XT32. I would recommend getting one with Sub EQ HT (the two-subwoofer calibration) if you can swing it.

Personally, I stay away from Onkyo, Pioneer, Integra, and Sony. Yamaha is a good choice as well, but I've never found a big enough reason to switch from Denon to Yamaha. Emotiva makes great amps, but they can't keep up with the features of modern AVRs, as you pointed out with the lack of Atmos as DTS:X.
mattlach likes this.

post #716 of 720 Old 05-09-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Hook the speakers up properly and ignore Audyssey. That's the standard advice. A listening test should confirm that the RBH speakers are wired properly internally.

I'm partial to Denon receivers. They've been pretty reliable for me, and tend to balance features, prices, and build quality well. The X3300w is a solid receiver. You could get a refurb X4200 from accessories4less for $799 and get the pre-outs and get MultEQ XT32. I would recommend getting one with Sub EQ HT (the two-subwoofer calibration) if you can swing it.

Personally, I stay away from Onkyo, Pioneer, Integra, and Sony. Yamaha is a good choice as well, but I've never found a big enough reason to switch from Denon to Yamaha. Emotiva makes great amps, but they can't keep up with the features of modern AVRs, as you pointed out with the lack of Atmos as DTS:X.
Thank you for the advice.

I could have sworn I read in the manual of the AVR-x3200w that it could handle multiple sub calibration, but I did not know to look for the term "Sub EQ HT", so I will check again. Someone had tsuggested to me that "Multeq XT 32" (the 32 being the key part) implied the inclusion of multiple sub calibration, but maybe they were wrong. I will definitely check out the AVR-x4200w as well.

Now the question will be what to do with my old x1300w. I guess I could try to sell it, but I'll have to sell it for less than the refurb model ($299 at this point) which won't even get me enough to pick up an Emotiva 2 Channel power amp... Maybe I'll try to use it for my 2 channel setup in my office? I've been using a vintage NAD Integrated Amplifier, but it has some problems, so I might need something else.

Is there any reason not to use the Denon AVR-x1300w as a 2.1 channel amp for my RBH 41-SE and SVS SB12-NSD combo in my office?

post #717 of 720 Old 05-09-2017, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Question

Is there any feedback on the all new SV6500R's yet?
post #718 of 720 Old 05-09-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for the advice.

I could have sworn I read in the manual of the AVR-x3200w that it could handle multiple sub calibration, but I did not know to look for the term "Sub EQ HT", so I will check again. Someone had suggested to me that "Multeq XT 32" (the 32 being the key part) implied the inclusion of multiple sub calibration, but maybe they were wrong. I will definitely check out the AVR-x4200w as well.
So, I downloaded the pdf manuals for the x3300w and the x4200w and it turns out they both have "SUB EQ HT" which is good. I'll probably go for the x3300w on Accessories4less, as it costs $150 less, and I don't see anything the 4200 has on top of it that I need. Sure the 4200 has higher wattage output, but I'm offloading the two main channels to a power amp, (that's why I'm upgrading the receiver) so power for the remaining 3 channels (center, and two surround) should definitely not be a problem.

Again, appreciate the suggestions!

post #719 of 720 Old 05-09-2017, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just looking - a couple questions

I'm shopping for a decent LCR HT setup - but focusing on the mains first and foremost. Of the few speakers I've actually been able to audition, I liked the B&W 685 S2... but I didn't like the price! So I'm shopping for alternatives. This will be used with a sub but I'd like them to be able to stand on their own for music and TV without the sub.

R5Bi is interesting... At the price maybe worth a shot.
I was wondering about using a 3rd one for a center channel -
Or there's a $90 E3c - or a $350 R56Ci - I assume the R56Ci is the "match" for R5Bi? Would a R56Ci overpower L/R R5Bis?
Odd though there is nothing in between $90 and $350...

Can the R5Bi really crank up and handle it for intense movie passages? I'm using a Yamaha RX-A550 in a mid size room 16x20 w 12'H ceilings. We use the audio system mostly only for movies but this may change.
post #720 of 720 Old Today, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGirl View Post
I'm shopping for a decent LCR HT setup - but focusing on the mains first and foremost. Of the few speakers I've actually been able to audition, I liked the B&W 685 S2... but I didn't like the price! So I'm shopping for alternatives. This will be used with a sub but I'd like them to be able to stand on their own for music and TV without the sub.

R5Bi is interesting... At the price maybe worth a shot.
I was wondering about using a 3rd one for a center channel -
Or there's a $90 E3c - or a $350 R56Ci - I assume the R56Ci is the "match" for R5Bi? Would a R56Ci overpower L/R R5Bis?
Odd though there is nothing in between $90 and $350...

Can the R5Bi really crank up and handle it for intense movie passages? I'm using a Yamaha RX-A550 in a mid size room 16x20 w 12'H ceilings. We use the audio system mostly only for movies but this may change.
They used to have a smaller R5Ci that was really the match for the R5Bi's, but they discontinued it. The R56Ci should still work, and sound good with them though, but it is more money.

Not sure how happy you'd be with the R5Bi's on their own without a sub. For the news and stuff like that certainly, but they won't ave much bass below 60hz. There will be a good amount of midbass though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers