**Official RBH Owner's Thread** - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #721 of 733 Old 06-03-2017, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 29
i gave my emp towers and big center to my parents. they like them but didnt use them much.

i took the subwoofer away and set them to large. now they listen to the speakers all the time. i guess older people dont like the boom boom.

they sound pretty good without a sub. really good
they dont watch action movies so i think this is a perfect set for them. not too bright, not boomy, everything is balanced

im taking the surrounds as well.

should i run audyssey again?

Last edited by Luisfc1972; 06-03-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 733 Old 06-03-2017, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 2127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post
i gave my emp towers and big center to my parents. they like them but didnt use them much. i took the subwoofer away and set them to large. now they listen to the speakers all the time. i guess older people dont like the boom boom. they sound pretty good without a sub. really good. they dont watch action movies so i think this is a perfect set for them. not too bright, not boomy, everything is balanced
im taking the surrounds as well.
should i run audyssey again?
Damn, you're making me really want to order a pair of R55s myself!

Sure, no harm running audyssey but don't assume it will necessarily sound "better"---there is a significant chance it may sound worse. Ideal would be if the AVR has a one button "Audyssey off" and "Audyssey on" with last settings saved, so you can compare directly. Coin toss which would be the winner, IMO.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #723 of 733 Old 06-03-2017, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
I dunno, to my ears the R5Bi sounded like their roll off was more like 70Hz or even 80Hz. I pushed them within 2" in front of a wall and there was never any boominess or congestion despite being rear-ported, which to me is another indicator of very little mid-bass output.

Loved them as soon as I turned on my sub, but would never recommend them for anyone without a sub.
My audition of them was a while back and not under particularly controlled conditions, so I'd trust your assessment better than mine.
Zorba922 likes this.

post #724 of 733 Old 06-08-2017, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Just received a partial order today. Got the center speaker, goodness that thing is a beast. Getting my towers tomorrow.

Love that shiny black finish.
post #725 of 733 Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM

What stands would be good to use with the R5Bi bookshelf speakers?

They are 6-7/8" W x 12-3/4" H x 8" D and weigh 7.5 lbs.

post #726 of 733 Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post
What stands would be good to use with the R5Bi bookshelf speakers?
They're pretty light and compact, so anything will do. Best bang for the buck IMO are these:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-QDUPYR...er-Stands.html

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #727 of 733 Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

Quote:
They're pretty light and compact, so anything will do. Best bang for the buck IMO are these:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-QDUPYR...er-Stands.html
What do you think of these?

https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Adj...611G2V8YJ04KYD

Adjustable height which is nice since the back of my couch is about 28 inches (to make the rear speakers clear the height)
post #728 of 733 Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What do you think of these?

https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Adj...611G2V8YJ04KYD

Adjustable height which is nice since the back of my couch is about 28 inches (to make the rear speakers clear the height)
On paper, they should work fine...make sure you have some Blue Tack on hand.

The Sanus stands look more solid to me though. If you are worried about them elevating the tweeters too much, you can always put something under the speakers to tilt them downwards slightly.

post #729 of 733 Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM

Quote:
On paper, they should work fine...make sure you have some Blue Tack on hand.

The Sanus stands look more solid to me though. If you are worried about them elevating the tweeters too much, you can always put something under the speakers to tilt them downwards slightly.
I just want something that would clear the back of my couch.

I'm doing a 7.1

So i'm following this placement guide:

http://www.the-home-cinema-guide.com...cement-7-2.png
post #730 of 733 Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just want something that would clear the back of my couch.

I'm doing a 7.1

So i'm following this placement guide:

http://www.the-home-cinema-guide.com...cement-7-2.png
Looks good. Though their sub placement is a little odd.

Any way, either speaker stand would easily clear a 28" couch.

post #731 of 733 Old Today, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Looks good. Though their sub placement is a little odd.

Any way, either speaker stand would easily clear a 28" couch.
Where should I place the sub?

Since I need 4 stands, I should get a pair of the ones you mentioned for the L and R surround

Then get a pair of the adjustable one for the rear.

Will that look weird to have 2 different types?
post #732 of 733 Old Today, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Where should I place the sub?

Since I need 4 stands, I should get a pair of the ones you mentioned for the L and R surround

Then get a pair of the adjustable one for the rear.

Will that look weird to have 2 different types?
I'd always try corner placement first with any sub, to get maximum room reinforcement. If running 2 subs, using two diagonally opposite corners is usually recommended.

No, I don't think having 2 different types of speaker stands would look weird, esp. since they'll both be black.

post #733 of 733 Old Today, 08:11 AM

Now I am looking for a used sub to complement the HSU.

Can I use a smaller one? The HSU one is huge already. I have been browsing craigslist for a smaller sub around $250 or less. Maybe a 10" ported instead of sealed since the HSU is ported.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers