**Official RBH Owner's Thread** - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 535 Old 09-04-2006, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Richard,
Hold out for the 66se's for surrounds. I've seen numerous pairs on Audiogon in the past months. Unless you have one of the more uncommon finishes it might be worth the wait. I congratulate you on your T-1's, I just missed out on buying a pair for an extremely good price a few weeks ago. Oh well good things come to those who wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 535 Old 09-04-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarine View Post

BTW: Scenaria did you receive your new T-2 setup yet? That will be my next setup when I move back to the states.

No! And im going CRAZY over the wait..

Fedex has them set to be delivered on the 6th BUT im hoping that because ground service uses saturdays as part of their regular schedule there might be a small chance of delivery tomorrow.. 8 cartons @ over 500 pounds so it wont be some whimpy delivery

I really wished I had ordered the piano finish but I just couldnt justify the added cost. I would have done it for another $500 but no more than that.

I have a sweet 661 that I was using as a center channel with my 1266's. The 661 has status drivers and croossover. Im hoping to find a buyer for it.. if anyone in here has intrest in it just give me a buzz..
post #93 of 535 Old 09-04-2006, 09:01 PM

"Fedex has them set to be delivered on the 6th"

Sometimes I wish I wasn't able to track my shipments because it drives me absolutely insane to know that they are sitting somewhere a short drive away and I won't get them until days later!

As for the shipment itself, you better invest in a good back brace or con some local teenagers into helping you. I just hope you don't have stairs!

I know what you mean about the piano black finish, it looks so nice but costs so much more. Good luck and good listening.
post #94 of 535 Old 09-06-2006, 08:52 AM

There are too many people on this thread waiting for speakers!

I don't know what you are going through because RBH is just down the street from my house. Hehehe.
post #95 of 535 Old 09-10-2006, 08:38 AM

Just bought a T2 system with a T1 center and SE66 surrounds for my future 24x20 theater room. I am looking for a pair of rear speakers to make it 7.1. Any suggestions I was thinking the SE61 or the SI 760 inwall. Do I need more Subs for the rear? If so another pair of 1010 SE with the SA 400 amps or inwall SI 12. Also what power amps work well with this configuration. I was thinking Bryston sst amps 3 - 7bs for the Left center and right and a 9b 4 channel for the surround. Any help would be appreciated. I want to make the room rock
thanks Z_man
post #96 of 535 Old 09-10-2006, 12:10 PM

Welp they finally arrived! Im really happy with them though I need to spend more time with some small adjustments....

They can take everything I can throw at them thats for sure

a 24X20 room is pretty huge.. a few more subs wouldnt hurt I have an ep500 in the rear corner and helps quite a bit... im probably going to add another ep500 once I move into my new place.

I will say this though.. so far im more impressed with the tweeters that were on my 1266LSE's... I might opt to install the status upgrades and corssovers one day in the future.. though im sure it will be really expensive :\\

the weight isnt that bad.. each cabinet is a hair under 90 pounds.. moving them wasnt much of an issue.. I had a 1010 powered sub that seemed to weigh ALOT im assuming because the amp was in it.

the bigger issue for me is figuring out where to store the cartons (im going to be moving soon and do not want to dispose of the packing materials) can make a small cardboard city with the number of cartons I have
post #97 of 535 Old 09-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What is the price of the T2 or the break down of the top ans bottom. I want to hear some RBH's but there is no where for me. I think I would like to have the 1266SE/R for L/R with a 661se/r up front.
Allen

I will say the new T-30lse for 15k look sweet but out of my price range.
post #98 of 535 Old 09-10-2006, 03:28 PM

Figure around the $7k-$9k range for a pair of T2's (depending on the finish)

plus you would need to add some cash if you wanted a T1 for the center channel (which is massive by the way) another $2k-$2500.

If you look around you can get some price breaks but were not talking 50% or anything

yea the 30's look nice but the price is way to rich for my blood.. plus the hefty weight of them being a single unit rather then two pieces is something not very attractive to me.
post #99 of 535 Old 09-10-2006, 04:06 PM

Z-man,
I plan on using two sets of 66-se's, one set for side surround and one set for rears, I think others have done the rears either way, direct radiating or bi/dipole.

Scenaria,
I was wondering if an owner could upgrade the tweeters himself to the Scanspeak 9500 which is what I believe is in the the Status upgrade or if RBH also changes the crossover points. However the sum of the whole is probably provided by the entire driver complement.
Also you could rent a small storage unit for the time being to keep all of the cartons out of the way. Shouldn't be too much money $25-$50 a month.
post #100 of 535 Old 09-10-2006, 05:01 PM

yea the upgrades would have to be across the board... drivers, tweeters and crossovers (to be effective) I would wager the price being around $1400 - $1700 per T1 (not sure on the price of the crossovers but the 9500's arent terribly expensive... and I dont think the drivers would be too bad) but then again... that times THREE and its not chump change...

maybe in a few years
post #101 of 535 Old 09-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

What amps are you useing to drive them with.
Also thanks for thr price information.
Allen
post #102 of 535 Old 09-10-2006, 11:01 PM

Liked: 14
Good to see other happy owners out there of RBH systems. I personally have been through several complete systems in the past, along with setting up at least 10-15 more of their systems for friends. Here's what I've been through over the past several years:

System #1 in black & gloss finish
2x 1266-SE
1x 661-SE
2x 61-SE

#2 above plus
Upgraded surrounds to 2x 661-SE
Added 1 SA-400 Subwoofer amp to power woofers on 1266-SE

#3 added 1010-SEP to all of the above

#4 all in South American Rosewood (Brochure twins)
3x T1 L/C/R's (1st official T2P system in production)
2x 1010 SEN with 2 SA-400, 400 watt mono amps
2x 66-SE surrounds, plus 2 more that are still factory sealed
1x 661-SE

My last system (The T2P system) was used in conjunction with a B&K Ref 50, and a Rotel RMB-1095 amp, and a Denon 2900 Universal player, etc. It was a fantastic system and it saddened me to sell it a while back while I await construction of my new home theater. Who knows what's next from RBH They're a good group of guys and a pleasure to visit with.

Incidentally, I have a brand new factory sealed pair of 66-SE speakers in South American Rosewood along with a used 661-SE also in South American Rosewood if anyone is looking any in this more exclusive finish.

I heard the Wasatch(?) speaker from their status line at CES this past year and at their factory--I never thought I'd own a bigger, heavier speaker than the T2P combination, but maybe someday
post #103 of 535 Old 09-11-2006, 02:47 AM

Hey FraggleRock (great name BTW!)
Was that your setup on Audiogon? If so that was a steal in my book.
Also the new Status speaker, is that the one that resembles a guitar? If so those are beautiful! They are going to wear the Titus name I believe and I think they are about $50k a pair.
post #104 of 535 Old 09-11-2006, 07:10 AM

Yeah, I was the original owner of that setup. About a year ago I sold them to a friend in our audiophile society who likes to rotate through speakers fairly often--he's the guy who sold them on audiogon. Someone got a great deal! If that someone is reading this post and would like the second pair of 66-SEs in matching South American Rosewood (still factory sealed) let me know.

Yeah, that speaker you reference as the Titus is the one I'm talking about. They hadn't quite decided what whether they were going to name it the Wasatch or the Titus 2 last I talked to them (which has been a while). Long time fans of RBH Sound and their top tier Status Acoustics line will remember that they have already had a Titus in the past as shown on the statusacoustics website (see what happens when you can't get your old account recovered... You have to create a new one, get labeled a newb, and can't post URL references until 5 posts).

The new version is previewed on their homepage. The T2P was supposed to offer 95% of the performance of the much more expensive original Titus. That said, I've still always wanted a pair of the original Titus. Also, I think the 1266-SE and 1044-SE are fantastic for the money when used in combination with plenty of quality amplification. I really like the Atlas though for their superior cabinets and lack of resonance that occasionally can be found on the 1266-SE if not treated.
post #105 of 535 Old 09-11-2006, 02:30 PM

Once again that new Status line is amazing but just a bit too much to afford with what I get paid. Nevertheless I am happy (for the time being) with what I can afford to buy which are no slouches in the audio world. I am looking at a Gemstone amp and trying to find a deal on a great Universal disc player right now.

Fraggle you seem to be pretty familiar with RBH's offerings, do they make or recommend any specific speaker stand for their 661's? I am looking at using a pair with Atlantis reference stands for the FL and FR. Any thoughts?
Also I am using an Arcam AVR-300 that ouputs 100x7 or 120x2, will I benefit greatly from going to a higher wattage amplifier? The Gemstone I was looking at will output 400x7 into 4 ohms which should provide enormous headroom for my system with it's max input of 200watts.
post #106 of 535 Old 09-11-2006, 02:31 PM

How much for the se 66 pair I need another set .
post #107 of 535 Old 09-11-2006, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_man View Post

how much for the set of SE 66 Z_man

I'm open to reasonable offers on any of the speakers, but please send me a private message so this thread doesn't get cluttered. I've also got a pair of stands that can be used with the 661-SE or 66-SEs. Thanks.
post #108 of 535 Old 09-11-2006, 06:16 PM

Quote:

Once again that new Status line is amazing but just a bit too much to afford with what I get paid. Nevertheless I am happy (for the time being) with what I can afford to buy which are no slouches in the audio world. I am looking at a Gemstone amp and trying to find a deal on a great Universal disc player right now.

Fraggle you seem to be pretty familiar with RBH's offerings, do they make or recommend any specific speaker stand for their 661's? I am looking at using a pair with Atlantis reference stands for the FL and FR. Any thoughts?
Also I am using an Arcam AVR-300 that ouputs 100x7 or 120x2, will I benefit greatly from going to a higher wattage amplifier? The Gemstone I was looking at will output 400x7 into 4 ohms which should provide enormous headroom for my system with it's max input of 200watts.

Congrats on your system GreenMarine. I still think that the 661-SE has to be once of the greatest bang for the buck systems around. 5 of them and a 1010 SEP or a combination of 661-SEs and 66-SEs sound fabulous for the money in my opinion and it's one of my favorite systems to recommend to friends and family.

I've never had the opportunity to try out an Arcam amp, but I can tell you that I ran my old 1266-SE, 661-SE, and 1010 SEP with outboard SA400 system on the woofers of the 1266-SEs using my Rotel RMB-1095 for the top half of the 1266-SE and 661-SEs and it pumped out a minimum 330 watts continuous x 5. The most noticeable difference at most dramatic difference came from just freeing up the Denon from having to power the 12" woofers in the towers. The bass became so much more solid and the mids and highs seemed to clean up quite a bit without the added stress on the Denon.

Adding the Rotel as main amplification and just using the Denon as a pre-amp was another marked improvement, as was replacing the Denon with the B&K Reference 50 pre/pro.

The biggest thing the big amplification did for me was just making the sound so effortless--no compression even at loud volumes. I used the same pre/pro and amp with my full T2 system and it never broke a sweat

As for the GEM, I'd say it would be great I'm sure if money isn't an issue. Of course, I'm still a big fan of the saying that "the first watt is the most important" though--meaning sound quality above all else. I'd check the tonal characteristics of the GEM and see how they are typically described as brilliant, smooth, laid back, etc., as I've never heard a GEM either. Gotta run for now... but more later on hopefully.
post #109 of 535 Old 09-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraggleRock View Post

Congrats on your system GreenMarine. I still think that the 661-SE has to be once of the greatest bang for the buck systems around. 5 of them and a 1010 SEP or a combination of 661-SEs and 66-SEs sound fabulous for the money in my opinion and it's one of my favorite systems to recommend to friends and family.

I've never had the opportunity to try out an Arcam amp, but I can tell you that I ran my old 1266-SE, 661-SE, and 1010 SEP with outboard SA400 system on the woofers of the 1266-SEs using my Rotel RMB-1095 for the top half of the 1266-SE and 661-SEs and it pumped out a minimum 330 watts continuous x 5. The most noticeable difference at most dramatic difference came from just freeing up the Denon from having to power the 12" woofers in the towers. The bass became so much more solid and the mids and highs seemed to clean up quite a bit without the added stress on the Denon.

Adding the Rotel as main amplification and just using the Denon as a pre-amp was another marked improvement, as was replacing the Denon with the B&K Reference 50 pre/pro.

The biggest thing the big amplification did for me was just making the sound so effortless--no compression even at loud volumes. I used the same pre/pro and amp with my full T2 system and it never broke a sweat

As for the GEM, I'd say it would be great I'm sure if money isn't an issue. Of course, I'm still a big fan of the saying that "the first watt is the most important" though--meaning sound quality above all else. I'd check the tonal characteristics of the GEM and see how they are typically described as brilliant, smooth, laid back, etc., as I've never heard a GEM either. Gotta run for now... but more later on hopefully.

FragglerRock Do you think it is worth the extra money to get a pair of 1266 instead of a pair of 661. I can only do a 5.1 system at this time so I have been thinking about 3 x 661 across the front first then go back and get a pair of 1266 for the L/R and move the 661 to the back cornners.

I am glag you said the Rotel amps match up well because I plan on getting a 1090 for the L/R if I go with the 1266 and the 1095 to run the rest of the system.

Also what are you using for a system now since you sold your T2 system.

Allen
post #110 of 535 Old 09-11-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekPM19 View Post

FragglerRock Do you think it is worth the extra money to get a pair of 1266 instead of a pair of 661. I can only do a 5.1 system at this time so I have been thinking about 3 x 661 across the front first then go back and get a pair of 1266 for the L/R and move the 661 to the back cornners.

I am glag you said the Rotel amps match up well because I plan on getting a 1090 for the L/R if I go with the 1266 and the 1095 to run the rest of the system.

Also what are you using for a system now since you sold your T2 system.

Allen

IMO, I think it depends on whether or not you have a subwoofer to go with all of those 661s. For example, 5 661-SEs combined with a 1010 sub will give similar sound to 2 1266-SEs and 3 661-SEs (Center, Surrounds). I would describe the 1010 sub as slightly faster and tighter for music than the 12" woofers on the 1266s; however, I really liked the kick on the 1266-SEs when bi-amping them (running the woofers off the RBH SA-400 sub amp and the top half with and the 661-SEs with the Rotel 1095. If space is tight for a subwoofer, then going with the 1266s is a good option, because you can just run the subs on the towers as the .1 LFE channel.

I really liked my 1266-SEs, but starting off with 3x 661-SEs is a good option if you want to grow into the system over time. Again, what are you using for a sub for the .1 channel? Also remember to factor in the cost of stands for the 661-SEs if you don't already have them--that is money that can go a little ways towards the 1266-SEs.

As for my current system, I have sold most of my gear until my new house and home theater is done. It's been painful without the T2s, but once everything is ready it will be worth it if I can decide what to put back into it

I've toyed with putting a CinemaSite in one room and dedicated music in another. You can get the CinemaSite basically configured just like the T2P system, but I'm not sure I want to loose the tweakability and placement of floorstanders...
post #111 of 535 Old 09-11-2006, 09:48 PM

Quote:

trying to find a deal on a great Universal disc player right now.

I forgot to address these points GreenMarine--what are you considering as far as a Universal player?

As for stands, RBH has frequently used a line of stands that work well with the 661-SE and 66-SE speakers (if you don't want to wall mount them). I'm not sure of the exact manufacturer, but I'll see if I can find out and perhaps send you a picture of an extra set I have that I used with my last system. They are black powdercoat, with spikes, and can be filled with lead shot, etc. There are a lot of good stands out there though. I'll have to check out the Atlantis reference stands and see how they compare.
post #112 of 535 Old 09-12-2006, 04:31 AM

Fraggle,
Thanks for giving your feedback I appreciate it a lot, especially from someone who has dealt with RBH for a while. My system has been undergoing a major facelift this past year and I have a forgiving wife who actually drove 2 1/2 hours with me to hear our first set of 66-se's.

I will be using an SVS PB12 plus for all of the bass duties so the receiver shouldn't be as taxed as if it were driving a set of full range speakers. However I have noticed that I have to turn the volume up quite a bit past my normal listening level(about 15-20db more) to get all of the detail out of a movie in 5.1. The problem is that I am limited in volume because I currently live in a multiplex and will for another 2 years. (I really miss my house in NC)! I was thinking, and I could be wrong, that going with a higher power amp and using my receiver as a Pre/pro then I might be able to resolve some of that lower volume detail and feed my new set of mains.

The Gemstone has been described as smooth, musical, uncolored, airy and detailed lacking harshness or brightness. Others have raved about its quality and excellent sound which turned me on to it initially. That is the main reason I went with my Arcam over the flagship Pioneer last year, I favored sound quality over bells and whistles.

As for a universal player I was interested in the new Arcam but it apparently has a few bugs to be worked out and I don't think I am quite up to spending that much on a player yet. I was looking at the Marantz 7600 but am always open to ideas.

Also here is a link to the Atlantis stands Here
I am also open to suggestions on these as well, my only concern is the size of the top plate as I will have a baby crawling around soon and don't want them to fall off and crush his head!

I apologize to all for my lengthy response!
post #113 of 535 Old 09-13-2006, 02:33 PM

Fraggle,
I would also be interested in the stands you have and also the brand of stand that RBH uses if yuo have the time to find out.
Jamie
post #114 of 535 Old 09-15-2006, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Fraggle,
I would also be interested in the stands you have and also the brand of stand that RBH uses if yuo have the time to find out.
Jamie

The stands I have gotten from RBH look very similar to the ones you referred to on AudioAdvisor. My first set had four square posts like the ones pictured, the second more recent set has 3 square posts (One in front and two in back, but all close together like the one pictured). If I remember correctly they listed for about $220 back when I originally acquired them.

I'll try and get some pics of them to you over the weekend. Thanks.
post #115 of 535 Old 09-15-2006, 09:49 AM

I am considering the MC-616 speakers as LCR for my home theater but am also looking at Sonance, NHT, and Atlantic Technologies. Any feedback on the MC-616's...has anyone had to opportunity to compare to any of the others I am considering?

Thank!
post #116 of 535 Old 09-15-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchav View Post

I am considering the MC-616 speakers as LCR for my home theater but am also looking at Sonance, NHT, and Atlantic Technologies. Any feedback on the MC-616's...has anyone had to opportunity to compare to any of the others I am considering?

Thank!

I've heard the MC-616Cs and the MC-616C Mk II many times. I think they're a great speaker--especially the new Mk IIs given their price point. I don't know which models you've been comparing them to, but I preferred them over a pair of NHT SuperOnes. One thing I would suggest though is considering the MC-6CT MK IIs for the front L/R pair if you don't already have stands. If you already have good stands then I'd say MC-616C MK IIs all around is an excellent combination. If you don't have stands (or a subwoofer for that matter), then I would highly recommend 2 MC-6CTs for the front L/R and a MC -616C for the center channel (and surrounds if you need them).

RBH has worked hard to make the MC MK II series speakers even better--narrowing the gap between the MC line and comparable speakers in the current Signature line (without the status driver upgrades).
post #117 of 535 Old 09-15-2006, 04:08 PM

I've heard that the MC series is getting so good that RBH may be forced to redesign their Signature line. Any truth to that? I myself have not heard them.
post #118 of 535 Old 09-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

The set I got from Audiogon was someone else's then -- mine are gloss black.
post #119 of 535 Old 09-18-2006, 09:22 AM

The speakers would actually sit in niches in the front wall which is why I am limited to an in wall, sealed, or front ported option. Not sure if/how this changes the recommendation?
post #120 of 535 Old 09-19-2006, 11:24 AM

Has anyone on this thread heard the RBH SI-6100's. I'm looking at mounting 3 behind an acoustically transpearent movie screen.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page