**Official RBH Owner's Thread** - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 536 Old 02-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sure that's not $1179? Sounds like you got quoted the price for the CT-MAX. Have a look at http://www.audioholics.com/productre...mShootout1.php for a review.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 536 Old 02-06-2007, 11:40 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11427 View Post

Sure that's not $1179? Sounds like you got quoted the price for the CT-MAX. Have a look at http://www.audioholics.com/productre...mShootout1.php for a review.

Yes I just check my email, I was quoted for the CT-Max.

Whats the diff, between the CT Series 5.1 & the CT-Max?
post #183 of 536 Old 02-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

The CT-MAX includes five C-4 speakers, the 5.1 includes one C-4 and four MM-4 speakers.

Mark

post #184 of 536 Old 02-06-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11427 View Post

The CT-MAX includes five C-4 speakers, the 5.1 includes one C-4 and four MM-4 speakers.

D'oh

I am sorry. I am at work and it is a risk to be on the internet at all.

Do you have any opinions on the CT Series 5.1?
post #185 of 536 Old 02-06-2007, 06:34 PM

Has anyone heard these little suckers?
post #186 of 536 Old 02-07-2007, 04:09 AM

Take that as a nah
post #187 of 536 Old 02-07-2007, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tase2 View Post

Has anyone heard these little suckers?

FWIW, there is a link to an informative review on the rbh web site.
post #188 of 536 Old 02-07-2007, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
DekPM19,

Thank you for your post, and it is ashamed that GreenMarine won't be able to listen to his system until NOVEMBER ! I am very close to purchasing a MC-414C sight unseen and of course unheard, just to see what it can do. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used three of these across the front rather than the 414C at center and MC-4's L/R ... it seems to me that three identical speakers across the front would be preferable. I'm just trying to imagine how such an arrangement would compare to the 414 at center and MC-6's L/R. Thank the Lord that there are people here willing to share their experiences !

Kenny, I think I mislead you before into thinking that I am interested in the in-wall models and that's because I left off the C (thinking that it meant CC). Anyway, I meant to say the MC-414C is the one that I am wondering about. I can't wait to hear what you think of your system.
post #189 of 536 Old 02-07-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomboyter View Post

Kenny, I think I mislead you before into thinking that I am interested in the in-wall models and that's because I left off the C (thinking that it meant CC). Anyway, I meant to say the MC-414C is the one that I am wondering about. I can't wait to hear what you think of your system.

Ahhh...yes, I did think you were referring to in-wall speakers.

The only thing I am a tad disappointed in is that due to the large binding posts on the rbhs I have had to swap out all the 1/4 spade connectors for 5/16. Of course if you are a bare wire fan or use bananas this will not be an issue.

I'll let DekPm19 report on the overall balance of the setup. He is scheduled to visit soon.
post #190 of 536 Old 02-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Kenny, I'll be checking in often looking for that report.
post #191 of 536 Old 02-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomboyter View Post

Thanks Kenny, I'll be checking in often looking for that report.

I plan on meeting Kenny this saturday after lunch I cann't wait. I will report to evryone. I have never heard RBH speakers but I have been looking for some where to hear them.
Allen

P.S. I may also go saturday night and hear a friend of a freind H/T which has a 100" screen some of the big B&W speaker (somewhear around $10,000.00 for the pair)with matching center and a couple of big subs. Don't know much more than that but I hope that works out too.
Sould be a great afternoon.
post #192 of 536 Old 02-08-2007, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekPM19 View Post

I plan on meeting Kenny this saturday after lunch I cann't wait. I will report to evryone. I have never heard RBH speakers but I have been looking for some where to hear them.
Allen

P.S. I may also go saturday night and hear a friend of a freind H/T which has a 100" screen some of the big B&W speaker (somewhear around $10,000.00 for the pair)with matching center and a couple of big subs. Don't know much more than that but I hope that works out too.
Sould be a great afternoon.

That will be a full day. Good luck to the fellows playing basketball in the AM on Saturday.
post #193 of 536 Old 02-11-2007, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KShep View Post

I'll let DekPm19 report on the overall balance of the setup. He is scheduled to visit soon.

Well, yesterday afternoon was a fun day. I went to meet Kshep at his house to hear the RBH 661 se speakers that he is using as LCRs. I have never seen or heard rbh speakers but have read a lot about them and have wanted to hear them. So Kenny invited me over for a listen. The first thing that jump out at me was the size of them. I have seen pictures of them but I didn't realize how big they where. I am using M6 for my LCR and they are W8.25 x H20 x D10.25 but to me the 661 seem a lot bigger. I looked the 661 up on line and they are W8.75 x H22 x D11.5 so they are only a little bit bigger than my m6. Kenny has them recessed in a build in entertainment cabinet with them above you which might have made them look bigger. Kenny is using great equipment to drive the rbh system. He has all Arcam gear the AVR 350 for processing and power with an Arcam DVD player. The 350 is a great receiver and does fine job driving the rbh speaker system which includes the 66se for rear surrounds to complete his 5.1 system. Kenny is a music lover first and H/T is second and I have to say the 661 fit that just right. I really liked the way they sound, they are just so smooth there is no other way to explain it. They will play loud but stay just as smooth when they are playing low. Movies are the same way they just don't sound harsh at all. The other thing I got to hear at Kenny's was the JL F-113 sub. This thing is just the opposite of the RBH 661 speakers it was so small compared to something like a velodyne DD-18. But it sounds great we didn't even push the sub that hard but you could just fill it all over the room. I had a great time listening to this system. All I can say is thanks Kenny for a good time. Speaking of Kenny if you ever get a chance to meet him you will find out how great of a guy he is. To let a total stranger in to his home, which is a beautiful home at that, and take the time to talk music, systems and movies speakers for his passion. From the moment I stepped out of my car and his dog ran up to me to be petted, to the second I shook his hand for the first time I felt I had know him for a long time.
Thanks Kenny and I look forward to seeing you again.
Allen
post #194 of 536 Old 02-11-2007, 06:19 AM

Speaking of which....

Is there anyone in NJ that has an RBH HT set-up willing to share? I have been wanting to hear these speakers but every dealer in my proximity "carries" RBH speakers....but only on special order. I can find a shop with demos on the floor.... :-(

Thanks.
post #195 of 536 Old 02-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmosmen View Post

Speaking of which....

Is there anyone in NJ that has an RBH HT set-up willing to share? I have been wanting to hear these speakers but every dealer in my proximity "carries" RBH speakers....but only on special order. I can find a shop with demos on the floor.... :-(

Thanks.

Kmosmen I hope you find someone because they are worth a drive to hear them.
Allen
post #196 of 536 Old 02-11-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:

Well, yesterday afternoon was a fun day. Thanks Kenny and I look forward to seeing you again.
Allen

+1....could not have said it better. You are certainly welcome anytime.

The rbh right & left fronts got the passive bi-amp treatment this morning. I hooked up the 2 idle surround channels to them, and aside from hitting a nail while drilling through the built-in, the process was worthwhile imo.

The separation seems more defined and detailed at all volumes. Especially the higher frequencies. Subtle vocals passages became easy to analyze.

For anyone wanting to bi-amp the 661-SEs, the binding post require a 5/16 spade and the room in the pod is tight. I used WBT bananas up top and spades on the bottom posts. The WBT spades are tall. No way to use them on top & bottom as far as I can tell.

The rbhs were cranked up all day again today and are still exceeding my expectations. As Allen mentioned, I listen to music primarily. To date, the 2Ch audio side or dynamic cans have garnered 90% of the time I have to spend listening to Cds.

That is about to change. If anyone has a link to above average 5.1 music recordings with or without video they can post up I would be appreciative.

Cheers
K
post #197 of 536 Old 02-11-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:

Kmosmen I hope you find someone because they are worth a drive to hear them.
Allen

I would LOVE to hear them. Right now, they are up against the James Loudspeakers! I heard the Def Tech 7002's and was not impressed.....NOT like the James!
post #198 of 536 Old 02-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I tried the MC-414C with my Orbs over the weekend, and I must say it was a learning experience. The RBH is a quality piece of gear without question, and is does sing beautifully, however it doesn't reach as deep as I was hoping and therefore didn't add as much to the soundfield as I had anticipated.

I guess I don't know what the "human voice" frequency range is...does anyone out there know? I also noticed that this speaker is crossed over at 3500 hz whereas the other speakers in the family are crossed at 300 hz. What significance is that to the sound?

My subwoofer is being repaired, so there is no way to really evaluate the RBH or the Orbs without an essential piece of the system design, but listening to the other speakers without the sub does give one an idea of what they are designed to do. Hopefully the sub will be returned to me this week, and I can really get down to the critical listening. One thing that I know needs to be done is some acoustical foam at the rear of my bookcase, cause I think that I am getting some resonance from the cabinet that may be contributing to the "hollow" sound that I'm hearing. I definitely need some base trap in the bottom cabinet for the sub...the whole unit buzzes if the base is cranked up.
post #199 of 536 Old 02-14-2007, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Well,

I Googled the frequency range of the human voice, and it turns out that the male frequency range is from 85hz to 155 hz and the female voice from 165 hz to 265 hz...considerably lower than I had thought. But guess what, the MC-414 bottoms out at 85 hz and tops out at 20khz, so theoretically the speaker shoud cover to human voice frequencies very nicely, assuming that the area around 85 hz is produced with sufficient authority. I am becoming convinced that in order to reproduce something like theater sound in the home, one should consider the 6 1/2" drivers to be a minimum. I may change my mind when the sub-woofer is returned and factored into the equation, but I will be very surprised.

That being said, the MC-414C seems to improve with time and use...it is playing very sweetly and when they speak about the hallmark of their product being "clarity", it is obvious what they mean, and it is very noticeable. If I decide to change the front L&R, I feel certain at this point that it will be the MC-6 that gets tapped for the job. I would love to hear what some of you other owners think.
post #200 of 536 Old 02-14-2007, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

I have an MC-414C and think it is one of the better centers I have ever heard. Does not have the bass that many people like/want but the clarity of dialog more than compensates.

As to the MC-6, hmmm.... I have listened to the MC-616C and find it to be a much better speaker than the MC-6. In fact, my opinion, three MC-616C's and a pr. of MC-44C (maybe MC-66C soon?) is one of the best values in HT, it is also one of the most under rated/unknown systems out there. The MC-616C is a great speaker, I'd put it up against my 661-SE any day.

Mark

post #201 of 536 Old 02-14-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:

+1....could not have said it better. You are certainly welcome anytime.

The rbh right & left fronts got the passive bi-amp treatment this morning. I hooked up the 2 idle surround channels to them, and aside from hitting a nail while drilling through the built-in, the process was worthwhile imo.

The separation seems more defined and detailed at all volumes. Especially the higher frequencies. Subtle vocals passages became easy to analyze.

For anyone wanting to bi-amp the 661-SEs, the binding post require a 5/16 spade and the room in the pod is tight. I used WBT bananas up top and spades on the bottom posts. The WBT spades are tall. No way to use them on top & bottom as far as I can tell.

The rbhs were cranked up all day again today and are still exceeding my expectations. As Allen mentioned, I listen to music primarily. To date, the 2Ch audio side or dynamic cans have garnered 90% of the time I have to spend listening to Cds.

That is about to change. If anyone has a link to above average 5.1 music recordings with or without video they can post up I would be appreciative.

Cheers
K

Are all of the RBH MC and Signature series biampable?

post #202 of 536 Old 02-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the input 11427...

I wish that I had room for the MC-616C in my cabinet, but the space is only 17" wide. If I remember correctly the MC-616C is 19 1/2" wide. Since I already have the MC-414C, do you think that it could stand up to the MC-616C at the L&R positions, or would it be seriously overmatched? They say that all of the MC series are timbre matched, but I'm not sure I know what that means. My intuition tells me that the 414C should be matched with either the MC-4 or two more MC-414C's to be even across the front, but I don't think that even three 414C's are going to give me the depth and resonance that I'm looking for. I seriously hope that I am wrong.
post #203 of 536 Old 02-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhelo View Post

Are all of the RBH MC and Signature series biampable?

Iknow the Signature speakers are because Kshep just bi-amped his 661-se.
Allen
post #204 of 536 Old 02-14-2007, 04:00 PM

Looked at their website and not a lot of details other than basic specifications.

I contacted RBH for a dealer in the Dallas area and was routed to an installer that had access to the MC line but was not authorized to purchase the Signature series. Its been several weeks since he was going to get me a quote on the MC series and never heard from him again.

Makes it hard to consider purchasing when you have a hard time getting a quote.
post #205 of 536 Old 02-15-2007, 04:01 AM

Quote:

Looked at their website and not a lot of details other than basic specifications.

I contacted RBH for a dealer in the Dallas area and was routed to an installer that had access to the MC line but was not authorized to purchase the Signature series. Its been several weeks since he was going to get me a quote on the MC series and never heard from him again.

Makes it hard to consider purchasing when you have a hard time getting a quote.

Agreed. RBHs dealer network could use some 'weeding out'. The closest dealer contact I was given never called me back either. I ended up calling rbh for a dealer in another area.

Worth the efffort imo. Made the deal over the phone and he had the speakers drop shipped to my business two weeks later.
post #206 of 536 Old 02-15-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:

Agreed. RBHs dealer network could use some 'weeding out'. The closest dealer contact I was given never called me back either. I ended up calling rbh for a dealer in another area.

Worth the efffort imo. Made the deal over the phone and he had the speakers drop shipped to my business two weeks later.

Please pm me with the name of the dealer you purchased through and I will give them a call.

Thanks

post #207 of 536 Old 02-15-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:

Please pm me with the name of the dealer you purchased through and I will give them a call.

Thanks

I am on the way to a Blues Festival and the invoice is at my office.

If you call RBH and ask for East Coast dealers, Atlanta, GA, they will give you two phone numbers.

One will be a Marietta, GA number...ATL Acoustic Consultants I think. The fellows name is Phillip....he is seldom in the office but will return you call in a timely fashion.

If you prefer to wait until Monday I will pm you the info when I get back in the office.

The shipping from ATL to TX might be kinda high. As far as I know they won't ship direct to you from rbh. I'm only 200 miles from ATL so the shipping wasn't too bad.

Cheers
K
post #208 of 536 Old 02-15-2007, 06:53 PM

K

Have a good time at the BF. My favorite music.

I have to admit this is one of the best threads on the forum.

From what I read RBH has a good product line as no one has had any negative comments.

My biggest decision now is whether I use the 1266SE's or 661SE's.

Should I use SVS Subs or use something from RBH?

Anyone using SVS Subs with their setups.

post #209 of 536 Old 02-16-2007, 05:45 AM

Hey guys! It looks like I waited too long to post my impressions of my full RBH setup since I have had it for about 4 months now. I am using an Arcam AVR300 as a Pre/Pro with a Gemstone amp and a Sony DVD player for source. My setup consists of 1x441SE for CC, 2x661SE's for L/R mounted on Atlantis Reference 28" stands and 2x66se's for surrounds. I couple all of this with an SVS PB12+ and have exceptional synergy and impact for my smallish room. (15x17 with open adjoining rooms)

For those wondering, in my mind the 441 does keep up with the 661's for center channel duty and I think it provides convincing male dialogue as well. I was limited on space so that is why I chose to go this route for CC. The 661's are amazing, they are not bright or laid back and they sound perfect to my abused ears. These speakers are excellent in every regard as they do everything well, they don't just excel at one thing like other brands. I am no audiophile by any means but more of an audionut constantly looking for the better product and I am by no means looking for an upgrade now. (Except when I return to the states and find some T-1's).
I listen to a lot of music of every variety and watch movies about 2-3 times per week and I am constantly amazed by my system. For anybody considering RBH I believe it is definitely worth the time and effort. Also check Audiogon as there is always a good deal on the SE gear for those trying not to overspend.

Also for excellent surround music with video check out the DTS website. My wife got me the new BT DTS DVD This Binary Universe, it makes excellent use of surrounds and has nice visuals to go with it. It is music no vocals but will exercise your system well. Another great one is Blue Man Groups The Complex also in DTS. The drums go all around the room and the energy is awesome, it will also exercise your system and some tracks have vocals.
post #210 of 536 Old 02-16-2007, 09:16 AM

Talked with Brian at RBH and he gave me a couple of local dealers in Texas.

Is there a reason to order the SE/R over the standard SE speakers?
Looking at a set in basic black veneer. 3 661SE/R's, 2 66SE/R Surrounds and 2 61SE/R Rears.

Is the upgrade worth the added cost?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page