**Official RBH Owner's Thread** - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 536 Old 12-27-2005, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just love my new RBH speakers! Given the flush of excitement over how much I am enjoying them, I though it would be nice for those of us who own RBH speakers to have a place of our own. They are clearly a great, but well hidden brand.

Profile:

HT wannabe (or HT trainee)...components below

HP md6580n 65" 1080p DLP (Yes - DLP - Dinosaur Light Processing) ;-)
Pioneer VSX-1020-K receiver (new 11/2010)
Sony DVP-CX995V 400 CD mega changer
SA8300HD DVR (TWC)
RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel
RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts)
RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds
RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub

RBH web site:

http://www.rbhsound.com/

EMP web site (EMP carries RBH closeouts/discontinued stock at excellent prices):

EMP home page: http://emptek.com/EMPOn-linestore/ca...2c4c9b0e6bab25

RBH search on EMP: http://emptek.com/EMPOn-linestore/ca...6bab25&x=0&y=0

Ask RBH a question:

info@rbhsound.com

RBH review:

http://www.avrev.com/equip/rbhmcseries/

Excellent feature on RBH on Audioholics (background on the RBH company and info on some key products):

http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/RBHSOUND.php

Looking for an RBH dealer?

From DekPM19:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen/DekPM19 View Post

Give this guy a call - Media Design Center owner Brent (http://www.mediadesigncenter.com/). He is here somtime, but is on in the HT Guide Club Halo/Parasound (http://www.htguide.com/forum/forumdisplay.php4?f=21) a lot. I have talked to him a couple of times. I have been told he has great prices. Allen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 536 Old 12-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes, they do seem to be a well hidden brand. I also love mine,... both sets

Set 1 is:
2 RBH 1266-SE Towers
1 RBH 661-SE Center
2 RBH 66-SE Di-pole / Bi-pole
1 RBH 1212-SE Sub
1 Sony 50" KF-50WE610
1 Sony DVP-NS725P
1 Denon 3805

set 2 for the bedroom is:
1 RBH MC-414C Center
4 RBH MC-4C Bookshelfs
1 RBH TS-10AP Sub
1 Mitsubishi CS-32207 32"
1 Sony STR-DE995

Mark

post #3 of 536 Old 12-28-2005, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Alright, that's two of us! Now if the other two show up we'll have a quorum and can vote on officers and design our secret RBH handshake.

I have a buddy who is considering the "4" series for his den as well...he's heard my setup and was very happy with them, and should pull the trigger soon!

Wish I had the space (and WAF) for the towers...you're fortunate.

My next change is likely the sub...did you compare the RBH sub to others before you got it, or were you focused on a matched RBH system?
post #4 of 536 Old 12-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

I really like the MC-4C,.... that is the system I had first. I should imagine your buddy will be pleased with them, especially if he has a good receiver/amp.
I have compared the RBH sub to some others,.... for less money you could probably get a comparable or maybe better sub than the 1212-SE. I got a deal on it that I could not pass up
On the other hand I feel the TS-10AP holds it's own against any other sub in it's price range.

Mark

post #5 of 536 Old 12-28-2005, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

They are clearly a well hidden brand.

Boy, is that an understatement! Hard to research, even harder to listen to, but rewarding for the persistent seeker. Now that all 4 of us owners have shown up, what's next ?

My HT:

T-1 - Left/Center/Right
66se X 4 - Side and Rear Surrounds
1010 SEN x 2 - Passive Subs
SA-400 X 2 - 400W Sub Amps
Velodyne DD-12 - Used to EQ all 3 subs

Arcam AVP-700 pre
Monster 3250 3-channel amp
Parasound Halo A23 X 2

Panasonic AE700 Front Projector
Samsung Upconverting DVD Player
Dalite 106" Diagonal Screen

I heard my dealer's demo set-up and bought them on the spot. Couldn't be happier

John

"What happens in Vegas..."
post #6 of 536 Old 12-28-2005, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robert View Post

Boy, is that an understatement! Hard to research, even harder to listen to, but rewarding for the persistent seeker. Now that all 4 of us owners have shown up, what's next ?

My HT:

T-1 - Left/Center/Right

Arcam AVP-700 pre
Parasound Halo A23 X 2

I heard my dealer's demo set-up and bought them on the spot. Couldn't be happier

John

Between you and Mark, I'm feeling pretty HT-small at the moment... That T-1 is a beautiful beast...

But, you asked:

Quote:

Now that all 4 of us owners have shown up, what's next ?

We take over the world!! (Shhhh...it's a secret.) And it's just 3 so far...1 short of quorum!

Actually, we smile sadly about the many, many people who've never had the opportunity to hear an RBH setup...and if you're me, start counting pennies again until the $$ is set aside for the next upgrade. The wife is trying to take away my credit cards!!
post #7 of 536 Old 12-29-2005, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

That T-1 is a beautiful beast...

I actually heard the T-1 stacked on top of the sub initially in a configuration RBH calls the T-2p. Didn't work as well in my 12' wide HT that way so I moved the subs to the mid-point of the side walls and bought Sound Anchors stands for the left and right T-1's. Huge improvement (at least for me) in smoothing out the bass response and much nicer for music that way. Last time I checked, the T-1 set-up was Audioholics "reference" speaker and they have had nice things to say about the entire line:

http://www.audioholics.com/about/sta...ms/system1.php

Hey, Mark - Living in Northern Utah, are you anywhere close to the RBH factory?

John

post #8 of 536 Old 12-29-2005, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

John,....

Yes,... it is about 15 miles from me. I have visited on a number of occasions. Great staff, really good people. The new facility and demo room is very cool.

Mark

post #9 of 536 Old 12-29-2005, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I had the pleasure of meeting Shane Rich, RBH's speaker designer, at CES last year and spent some time talking to him. Here is an interview with him from Audioholics website:

http://www.audioholics.com/FAQs/RBHT...hinterview.php

They were nice enough to invite me out to tour the facility in Utah but I haven't had a chance to make the trip yet. Maybe this year...

John

post #10 of 536 Old 12-29-2005, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Very jealous...would be cool to see/hear a full RBH HT setup.

The person I got mine through is a distributor who handles various speaker brands, a friend of a friend who got me some nice pricing on the RBH's (otherwise they would have been a bit out of the price range I had set for myself). Interestingly, he chose RBH for his own home setup as well...
post #11 of 536 Old 12-31-2005, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Really too bad more people do not have a chance to listen to some of the RBH offerings, if so I'm sure there would be more than three of us

Mark

post #12 of 536 Old 12-31-2005, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11427 View Post

Really too bad more people do not have a chance to listen to some of the RBH offerings, if so I'm sure there would be more than three of us

Agreed. Even the dealers they point you to (you have to call them to find dealers, there is no "dealer locator" on the website) don't feature the speakers prominently; they are usually stuck in a corner somewhere. I bought my speakers from a Custom Installer with minimal display space. Not the speaker world's highest profile...

John

post #13 of 536 Old 01-02-2006, 06:22 PM

I have recently been reading about the RBH speakers online and the reviews sound impressive. I have been trying to find out where the dealers are and if there are any in North Carolina. I sent RBH an email but haven't gotten a response. You mentioned that you need to call RBH for a dealer list.
post #14 of 536 Old 01-02-2006, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unctarheelhtb View Post

I have recently been reading about the RBH speakers online and the reviews sound impressive. I have been trying to find out where the dealers are and if there are any in North Carolina. I sent RBH an email but haven't gotten a response. You mentioned that you need to call RBH for a dealer list.

You can contact them here:

http://rbhsound.com/contactrbh.shtml

John

post #15 of 536 Old 01-03-2006, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the thread. I'd not heard of RBH before. Audioholics seems to think highly of the Signature series.

I'm looking to build a bookshelf HT. What are the prices I should expect to find for the MC-6C and MC-4C per pair?

To those who own/have heard the MC-4C, does it suffer from the typical shortcomings often associated with smaller (4 inches in this case) drivers?

Lastly, what are the sound characterics of RBH speakers? Do they tend towards neutral sound, warm or bright?

Thanks for the input.
post #16 of 536 Old 01-03-2006, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afuturestrader View Post

Lastly, what are the sound characterics of RBH speakers? Do they tend towards neutral sound, warm or bright?

I have not heard anything but the Signature series, so my comments would be limited to that line (you had asked about the MC speakers). Simply put, what sold me on the RBH speakers I heard was that they retained the strengths of other speakers I have owned or heard but did not have the nagging weaknesses. Good, solid (but not over-powering) bass; clear, dimensional mid-range and a tweeter that retained the detail of some other speakers but without the sibilance or fatigue. To me, they have a sonic character similar to Focal/JMLabs or Dynaudio (though not quite as laid back as the latter). I bought them because, to me, they seemed to do a lot of things well. Hope this helps...

John

post #17 of 536 Old 01-07-2006, 05:52 PM

I've read the good reviews but can't find anyone that carries them in Maryland...I am considering the SVS new SBS-01's but will not be able to listen to them since they sell direct over the internet.

"A better tomorrow takes your best today"....Rik Emmett
post #18 of 536 Old 01-14-2006, 12:13 PM

Hi everyone.

I guess I must be number 5. I too love my RBH's. I recently completed a new home and after having fallen in love with my brothers 4410's, I just knew I would put RBH through out my house.

To date I have installed 18 MC6 inwalls and 1 MC616 in 6 differant rooms. They are the best sounding inwalls I have heard under $600 a pair. I was worried at first if they would keep their imaging and spaciality, I was not disappointed.

I am also in love with my 1010SEP, I feel it is one of the most musical and deep subs on the market. Not to mention how cool they look. As others have mentioned, the little 8" & 10" subs are quite the performers in their own right. They are great for discrete applications, while thumping their little hearts out.

And finally, I have 3 of the MC616's in my HT. I went in looking for the Signature series 661's but after talking with the experts at the factory I was persuaded to go with the MC's. Everyone I spoke with sincerely felt the new MkII MC series were going to force the Signature's into a redesign and I have to agree they are about as transparent as my brothers 4410's.

I have tried to get my local dealer to carry even part of the line, but they are committed to Klipsch. It just makes me sick to think how much money is thrown at BOSE by peolpe who think that they are buying the "best". I know a few friends who had to rethink that one over after experiencing what RBH's sound like.

I don't know about any of you, but I would rather have an amazing sounding speaker in my wall than those goofy looking cubes all over my house.

I hope to see more of get in on the thread. We can surely help this great company get the word out. If I can help in any way, please drop me a line.

My Gear:
HT Room-
BenQ8700+
124" SilverStar
Yamaha 2500 receiver
3x MC616 MKII
4x MC61 MkII (inwalls)
1010 SEP

Game Room-
Samsung 50" HDTV
Onkyo Integra 810Pro
3x Sound Dynamics 616
4x MC61's MkII
12" Custom sub

Family Room-
Pioneer 43" Plasma
Sony ES50
4x MC61 MkII
1x MC616 MkII
TS-8AP 8" sub

1 Pair MC61's in Garage, Master Bath, and Master Bedroom

Would really like to upgrade to the new CinemaSITE in-walls for my main theater. I am sure they would sound and look great. If any one has seen or heard them, please drop me a line. I would love to hear what you think.

- Kery

My Momma always said......Hanging in there beats Hanging from there any day.
post #19 of 536 Old 01-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

T
I'm looking to build a bookshelf HT. What are the prices I should expect to find for the MC-6C and MC-4C per pair?

You should expect to pay about $750 pr. for MC-6C and about $420 pr. for the MC-4C,... but I think the best value is the MC-616C at about $950 pr.

Quote:

To those who own/have heard the MC-4C, does it suffer from the typical shortcomings often associated with smaller (4 inches in this case) drivers?

Ummm,.. a little bit. Funny thing though, hit them with a powerful amp (these are a sealed speaker and really like the juice) and they do a little thumping,.... I was rather impressed when I tried them full range, I had to giggle a bit when I saw those little 4" drivers move. These are a touch forward sounding and the mids are very good,...bass,... for 4" they are better than most.

Quote:

In general, Signatures I would call them neutral (with a good 200 wpc amp), but with low power like my 3805 they get brighter as the volume goes up. MC's I'd characterize as slightly forward with fast, tight mids and good bass.

Mark

post #20 of 536 Old 01-14-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robert View Post

My HT:

T-1 - Left/Center/Right

Arcam AVP-700 pre
Parasound Halo A23 X 2

John

John,

I notice you have the Parasound A23 mated with the Arcam AVP700. I'm considering an A21 with the Arcam. How do you like this combination? Do you have any descriptions of the sound you get from these components? Thanks.
post #21 of 536 Old 01-14-2006, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avguy78 View Post

John,

I notice you have the Parasound A23 mated with the Arcam AVP700. I'm considering an A21 with the Arcam. How do you like this combination? Do you have any descriptions of the sound you get from these components? Thanks.

Since I only use the A23's to drive the surrounds, I hesitate to give much feedback. I'll just say that, whether with movies or multi-channel music (I use my system about 50/50), the sound is full, dynamic and detailed. What I like about the Arcam/RBH combo (regardless of amp) is the total lack of shrillness, harshness or fatigue - I just feel that I can listen for hours! Much different than most of the other speakers I've owned...

John

post #22 of 536 Old 01-18-2006, 07:07 PM

I got a great deal on SI760 (front), 441 SE (surround), and TA-12AP sub. They are driven by the Yamaha RX-V2500 and sound incredible. They are power hungry so I will need to get an amp soon.

I am looking a good deal on SI 760 or 661 SE to be used as center. Please PM me if anyone can help.

Tom
post #23 of 536 Old 01-18-2006, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taql92 View Post

I am looking a good deal on SI 760 or 661 SE to be used as center.
Tom

I would keep an eye on Audiogon. There are a couple of Utah-based dealers that post RBH speakers with significant discounts...

John

post #24 of 536 Old 01-18-2006, 10:34 PM

John - can you please PM me several of the above mentioned dealers. Thanks.

Tom
post #25 of 536 Old 01-23-2006, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

taql92 - you have a PM...

John

post #26 of 536 Old 02-14-2006, 05:48 PM

I am residential builder and I swear by RBH for all my whole house audio applications. The RBH speaker line is a fantastic product that is not mainstream. I do all my own audio installations, so if you are in need of some RBH speakers and can't find someone to help you, give me a yell. The MC-615 and MC815 are some Fantastic ceiling speakers!!!

My audio enthusiasm has spilled over into the video realm and two houses I have going right now are getting RBH'd out. Both have whole house audio. One will also have a 5.1 setup in the living room with a 50 inch Panasonic plasma, MC series in-walls and a MS10.1 dual sub. The second will also have a dedicated theater room with a Panasonic AE900 FP, 110" vutec screen, 3 661 SEs for LCR, 2 66SEs for surround, and a MS10.1 dual sub.

Each system will utilize an Onkyo TX-NR801. I might end up using a couple of ONKYO MS-282 amps in the dedicated home theater. I'm going to see how it sounds without 'em first. The FP theater definitely has me excited!

Steve
post #27 of 536 Old 02-19-2006, 09:55 PM

Hi There,

I've had my RBH's for a couple of months now. They are sleeping in storage as I havent had the funds to purchase all the hardware. 3 more weeks to go yaaaaaaayyyyeee!!!!!!

I'll probably get my hand smacked for this, but to tell you the truth, I havent even heard the RBH product. I work for a corporate AV install company and I have access to dealer pricing.

I plan to purchase the following components:
-Denon 4306 (Receiver)
-Denon 3910 (DVD)
-Crown XLS602' all channels (These are proamps)

Im so excited!!!
post #28 of 536 Old 02-20-2006, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypesconst View Post

series in-walls and a MS10.1 dual sub. The second will also have a dedicated theater room with a Panasonic AE900 FP, 110" vutec screen, 3 661 SEs for LCR, 2 66SEs for surround, and a MS10.1 dual sub.
Steve

Steve,...

I tried three times not to reply but,..... that MS10.1 is really not in the same class as the Signature subs, or even the MC subs, and as much as I hate to admit it, there are better subs out there for less. Right now I have a 1212SE in my HT and a TS10AP in the bedroom,.... I used to have an A-10S and feel that it was a better sub than the MS10.1
Just a little food for thought.

Mark

post #29 of 536 Old 03-08-2006, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just checking back in...had my RBHs in place for two months now, using them for TV/DVD about 75%, music 25%, and absolutely loving them.

This brand really deserves more attention/interest than it gets...it's right up there with lots of "mainstream" brands that are more commonly considered.

Do yourself a favor, if you're looking into a new set of speakers add RBH to your short list.

Krisso...got your system up and running yet?
post #30 of 536 Old 03-08-2006, 05:28 PM

No not yet, bit of a delay I know. 3 more weeks and counting!!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page