Mirage Speakers - Page 10 - AVS Forum
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last
Speakers > Mirage Speakers
pheezatron's Avatar pheezatron 06:49 PM 08-20-2007
Hey all,

As a longtime reader finally sitting down to type his first post, let me first take a moment to thank all of you (esp. you TDI Driver) for all your posts - this is such a useful resource. I plan on going through the various threads and post in all the areas I can so that I can hopefully help others in the same manner.

I currently own a pair of Omni 60's which I absolutely love (although they could use a bit more in the bottom end). These serve as my main speakers in my HT set up - my center and rears are Bose due to the fact that I have a family member who works for them and they cost me next to nothing, but I have long been disappointed in their sound and am finally seeking to replace them.

I went to purchase the C150 center channel from Crutchfield the other night and noticed the sale on the Omni 350s and 550s as well. With such a discount, my current thought is to buy a pair of one of the towers, and use my Omni 60s as surrounds. (I assume the C150 will match the newer Omni's better anyway). With this in mind, I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any advice you can all provide:

- I've read comments on this forum suggesting that the 550s would be a welcome upgrade to the Omni 60's (and 260s for that matter) - can I assume the same for the 350s? The change in tweeter/woofer material and overall weight definitely give me pause.

- My receiver is a 75 watt/channel Yamaha 6.1 receiver (nothing fancy, ~$350 new), is it enough to drive the 350s or 550s (they are 89 and 90db respectively while the old 260s were 93db)?

- Based on size and price, my preference would be for the 350s unless the 550s would be markedly better. Thoughts?

- Keeping in mind that I already own a pair of Omni 60s, and with the 550s currently selling for $199 each on both Vanns and Crutchfield, does it make sense to buy one of the few pairs of Omni 260s that Vanns has left (also for $199/each)?

Note: I do not currently own a subwoofer (I live in an apt)

Thanks in advance for all of your help! I'll post comments and photos of my setup (with my 40" 1080p Sammy LCD too) once I receive my speakers and get them set up.

-P from Boston

buzzy_'s Avatar buzzy_ 10:16 AM 08-21-2007
Kind of curious, some OM5 and OM7 are for sale at Vanns - free shipping!
Alex solomon's Avatar Alex solomon 11:12 AM 08-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

Kind of curious, some OM5 and OM7 are for sale at Vanns - free shipping!

Excellent deal I must say. Had I not bought the OM-9 last week, I would have jumped on the OM-7.
Macmediaman's Avatar Macmediaman 12:44 PM 08-21-2007
Hey all. I am about to pull the trigger on a set of 350's, 150's, c-150 and 8" sub.

Im planning on driving them with a Pioneer VSX-517-K.

My local a/v mirage dealer told me that if I buy the mirage speakers online, that mirage will not honor the warranty. Is that correct?

Also, do you think that pioneer receiver will power them just fine?
Alex solomon's Avatar Alex solomon 12:50 PM 08-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macmediaman View Post

Hey all. I am about to pull the trigger on a set of 350's, 150's, c-150 and 8" sub.

My local a/v mirage dealer told me that if I buy the mirage speakers online, that mirage will not honor the warranty. Is that correct?

Vanns and Crutchfield are authorized Mirage online dealers with full Mirage warranty.
Macmediaman's Avatar Macmediaman 02:24 PM 08-21-2007
Thanks Alex!!!!
Toeside's Avatar Toeside 02:44 PM 08-21-2007
I took the plunge and ordered a Uni-Theater. I'll arrive on Thursday or Friday.

I like the sound of Mirage when I've demo'd them at Ultimate Electronics and Magnolia (@ Best Buy). I hope that I like it at home. The Uni-Theater is replacing JBL E30s and an EC35 which are too big for our setup.
gus6464's Avatar gus6464 03:47 PM 08-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macmediaman View Post

Right now I am using a super old Sony receiver and it has no problems powering a pair of 550's, 150's, and C150. That pioneer shouldn't have a problem. Although I do recommend getting a different sub than the mirage. HSUs are very nice and great bang for the buck.
gus6464's Avatar gus6464 03:52 PM 08-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheezatron View Post

Hey all,

As a longtime reader finally sitting down to type his first post, let me first take a moment to thank all of you (esp. you TDI Driver) for all your posts - this is such a useful resource. I plan on going through the various threads and post in all the areas I can so that I can hopefully help others in the same manner.

I currently own a pair of Omni 60's which I absolutely love (although they could use a bit more in the bottom end). These serve as my main speakers in my HT set up - my center and rears are Bose due to the fact that I have a family member who works for them and they cost me next to nothing, but I have long been disappointed in their sound and am finally seeking to replace them.

I went to purchase the C150 center channel from Crutchfield the other night and noticed the sale on the Omni 350s and 550s as well. With such a discount, my current thought is to buy a pair of one of the towers, and use my Omni 60s as surrounds. (I assume the C150 will match the newer Omni's better anyway). With this in mind, I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any advice you can all provide:

- I've read comments on this forum suggesting that the 550s would be a welcome upgrade to the Omni 60's (and 260s for that matter) - can I assume the same for the 350s? The change in tweeter/woofer material and overall weight definitely give me pause.

- My receiver is a 75 watt/channel Yamaha 6.1 receiver (nothing fancy, ~$350 new), is it enough to drive the 350s or 550s (they are 89 and 90db respectively while the old 260s were 93db)?

- Based on size and price, my preference would be for the 350s unless the 550s would be markedly better. Thoughts?

- Keeping in mind that I already own a pair of Omni 60s, and with the 550s currently selling for $199 each on both Vanns and Crutchfield, does it make sense to buy one of the few pairs of Omni 260s that Vanns has left (also for $199/each)?

Note: I do not currently own a subwoofer (I live in an apt)

Thanks in advance for all of your help! I'll post comments and photos of my setup (with my 40" 1080p Sammy LCD too) once I receive my speakers and get them set up.

-P from Boston

The 550's use a larger driver than the 350's so the difference will be mostly in the bass response. I like to listen to music in 2ch with no sub so that's why I went with the 550's. If you already have a sub for HT I would go with the 350's as they have the same exact drivers and tweeter as the C150 (better tonal match).
wtpittman's Avatar wtpittman 11:13 PM 08-21-2007
I have a 15x18x8 room and upgrading my house's previous owners HT.

I need to purchase 4 surrounds and CC. The previous owner had a Bose Acoustimass 10 system, the sub went out so I purchased another brand sub and have since found that the surrounds need the Bose sub. I am not a Bose fan so I want to replace the surrounds. Here is my receiver and sub.

Pio 91 receiver

Boston Acoustic Sub PV500

Panny Blu

46XBR4

Are the Omnisats compatible with the BA?

Would the Pio drive the Omnisats efficiently?

Would the Omnisats be an improvement over a Bose system (not mine currently as I don't have the Bose sub). I just want a reference for what I had.

Would be interested in hearing opinions particularly anyone that plays DVD Audios through Mirage omnisats.
Alex solomon's Avatar Alex solomon 10:28 AM 08-22-2007
Anybody uses the Omni Fx for surround with the OM series? I am trying to decide between used OM-R2 vs. a new Omni Fx's? Which one is the better surround speaker?
Toeside's Avatar Toeside 08:35 AM 08-23-2007
My Uni-Theater is being delivered today. I'm keeping my JLB E250P sub. It can crossed over as high as 150Hz. The Uni-theater's low end is 80Hz (-3db).

Any recommendations on the cross-over setting I should use on the sub? I'm going to set the sub cross-over, set the LCRs to small on my Pioneer VSX-1014 and set all speaker levels to 0db for a few days for break-in. Then I'll run the Auto MCACC.
buzzy_'s Avatar buzzy_ 09:30 AM 08-23-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeside View Post

I'm keeping my JLB E250P sub. It can crossed over as high as 150Hz. The Uni-theater's low end is 80Hz (-3db).

Any recommendations on the cross-over setting I should use on the sub? I'm going to set the sub cross-over, set the LCRs to small on my Pioneer VSX-1014 and set all speaker levels to 0db for a few days for break-in. Then I'll run the Auto MCACC.

You'll want to experiment and/or use some test tones, see how high you can live with it. That is, does the possible sense that the bass is coming from the sub, not the speakers, bother you more than having a hole in the bass output? Personally I don't notice the directionality, but I do notice the hole.

At least 120, maybe 150. There's no way the unitheater goes down to 80 hz with any useful amount of output, given the small cones and the small enclosures. But that won't be a problem for most people with a sub.
Toeside's Avatar Toeside 03:25 PM 08-28-2007
I'm fairly happy after a few days with the Uni-Theater.

I had my Pioneer VSX-1014-tx-k set to 0db gain on the front 3 channels and the sub. I had the sub set to 150hz cross-over and the fronts, via the receiver, set to 100hz.

We don't have real furniture in the room yet--just a couple MovieSacs (5' LoveSac) until tomorrow when our sofa and loveseat will be delivered. As a result, my ears are lower than the Uni-Theater is is far from ideal.

I watched "I Think I Love My Wife" last night (Chris Rock movie), and decided to bump the center channel to +2db because I was missing dialog.

After the furniture is delivered tomorrow, I'm going to run through the Auto MCACC setup and see how it does.

Oh, I'm in need of black speaker wire. I have clear jacketed copper now, and it sticks out like a sore thumb where I have it run around my TV. (Uni-Theater is in front of my 52" Mits 1080p DLP.) It seems that no one sells black speaker wire around me.
fuzzatch's Avatar fuzzatch 03:46 PM 08-28-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtpittman View Post

Are the Omnisats compatible with the BA?

You don't have to match the sub with the speakers so your BA would be good for anything that you choose (except bose accustimass with the bass module requirement).

Quote:

Would the Pio drive the Omnisats efficiently?

Mirage speakers are fairly easy to drive so you should not have a problem here.

Quote:

Would the Omnisats be an improvement over a Bose system (not mine currently as I don't have the Bose sub). I just want a reference for what I had.

I don't know a whole lot about bose other than hearing them in a store, but an easy way to get a good feel for this is to visit a Best Buy/Magnolia store if there is one near by (or any shop that carries both bose and mirage) and demo both the bose setup and the Omnisat setup. I have a feeling that you would get better sound out of the Omnisats because of the option to manage the crossover between the sub and the speakers, but I can't make that decision for you. It is up to you to decide.
Macmediaman's Avatar Macmediaman 12:43 PM 08-30-2007
Well, i installed my mirage 150s and 8 inch sub powered by the 110 watt per channel pio and

THEY SOUND FANTASTIC!!!!! Im running the disco channel through overnight at low levels to give the speakers the 100 hour workout so i can calibrate the sound.

The mirage sub SHAKES THE FOUNDATION!!!! I highly recommend it. The phase switch and filter switch do wonders with the crossover on the sub. Excellent value.

The 150s sound so transparent that you cannot point to where a sound is coming from like a traditional speaker. the spaceship doesnt fly out of the rear surround, the spaceship FLIES OVER YOUR HEAD!!!!!!

i highly recommend the mirage 150 series. Excellent quality and value.

PS - I mounted them on speaker stands instead of upside down on the ceiling. im not sure if I will change my mind since the sound so good right now.
Toeside's Avatar Toeside 01:38 PM 08-30-2007
After about a week with the Uni-Theater I have calibrated it yesterday. We also have furniture in the room now (finally!) so I'm able to finally sit down and watch a movie (hopefully tonight).

I'm already itching for surrounds. I have a 7.1 receiver, but I may go with 5.1 or 6.1 because of room limitations.

Opinion request: Should I go with another Uni-Theater mounted upside down on the back wall to give us 6.1 or should I consider 3 OmniCan 5's mounted in our vaulted ceiling? The price is the same.
Toeside's Avatar Toeside 09:52 AM 08-31-2007
I'm also considering Nanosats, which are $75 less per speaker than the OmniCan 5.
Mainspring's Avatar Mainspring 02:57 PM 09-06-2007
How would the Omni CC match up with OM7?

My current set up consist of all original Omni series (250, CC, 60, S-10).

I'm thinking of upgrading the fronts to OM7 and move the 250 to rear, and use the 60 as back channels...

My main concern is of the CC matching with OM7 when running HT.

Thoughts?...

Thank you.
Kryptonick's Avatar Kryptonick 06:16 PM 09-06-2007
3 quick questions, if anyone wouldn't mind helping.

1. I am considering purchasing the Nanosats. I have heard the Omnisats, is there a large difference in sound?

2. Also, I currently have Acoustic Research HC4 series speakers for my 5.1 setup, if I purchase only two nanosats for my rear, am I completely in different leagues with my speaker setup in terms of quality (nanos in rear, ARs in front)?

3. Finally, how do you purchase a center channel that is acoustically matched to your front and rear speakers?
Alex solomon's Avatar Alex solomon 06:32 PM 09-06-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainspring View Post

How would the Omni CC match up with OM7?

My current set up consist of all original Omni series (250, CC, 60, S-10).

I'm thinking of upgrading the fronts to OM7 and move the 250 to rear, and use the 60 as back channels...

My main concern is of the CC matching with OM7 when running HT.

Thoughts?...

Thank you.

I used to have the Omni 60 and Omni CC for about three years. I have recently upgraded to OM-9s now. While Omni CC will match up with the OM line, you will want the the OM-C2. The Omni CC will sound like a tin can in comparison. The Omni CC is a very good center channel just not in the OM-C2 level. The OM-C2 is the best center I have owned. You can use the Omni CC till you can get the OM-C2.
Mainspring's Avatar Mainspring 04:39 PM 09-07-2007
Thanks Alex.
He said "tin can" lol! cool, I'll have to check out the OM-2C for sure.

How did your 60s match with the fronts when you had them?

I'm guessing the OM series sound lot warmer then the Omnis. I'm wondering if the difference would get in the way playing surround...

Thanks.
Alex solomon's Avatar Alex solomon 04:55 PM 09-07-2007
I don't have the Omni 60 anymore. Kind of difficult to hang the 60 on the wall. I am now using the Omni Mircos for surround. I am looking to buy OM-R2s. The OMs are warmer than the Omni's, which are a bit forward. The OM play beautifully at louder volume without losing composure. The Omni 60 will let you know when you push them hard. And of course given the size of the speaker and the driver, the OM's bass performance goes without saying. Do remember though all speakers form the OM series do require a lot of space around them. I have mine out 36" inches from the rear wall.
Mainspring's Avatar Mainspring 05:33 PM 09-07-2007
Thanks again Alex.

Well, if the Omni micros are working for you I guess my 250s and 60s will do fine for the rear channels.

I hope the slightly forward highs of the Omnis don't lend them to be noticed too much. I get a nice bubble effect right now. Sound is so engulfing.

I wonder how much more space I'd have to give the OM7s to do their thing...

Right now I have the 250s 2 feet out back and sides.

hkokko's Avatar hkokko 06:29 AM 09-08-2007
Hi

Purchased a set of omnisat v2 satellites and their stands. There was no manual or explanation how to attach the satellite to the top of the stands. Stand box contained 2 bottom plates, 3 small and 3 large screws per stand and two hollow tubes + 8 spikes, nothing else. There are no places in the speaker to attach any of the screws provided. I cannot figure out how to attach the satellite to the top of the stand. I would appreciate if anybody could give a hint... Am i missing parts?

--h
warpdrive's Avatar warpdrive 12:47 PM 09-08-2007
Quote:

Opinion request: Should I go with another Uni-Theater mounted upside down on the back wall to give us 6.1 or should I consider 3 OmniCan 5's mounted in our vaulted ceiling? The price is the same.

Ideally, the speaker's sound really "surround" you. because there will be soundtrack will have sounds that are supposed to come from the side. So going for separate speakers is going to be more ideal. If your ceiling is too high though, that is going to have the sounds above your head which is not ideal. You want the surrounds to be a few feet above your head, but not directly over your head.
SteveCoug's Avatar SteveCoug 01:14 PM 09-08-2007
I am thinking of upgrading my center speaker (Bose) to the Mirage OMNISAT v2 CC

Anybody use that speaker? Can you give me your reviews.

Please don't lecture me on needing a matched speaker set to get the best sound because that is not my question.

I just want to know if the Mirage OMNISAT v2 CC would be a significant upgrade over the Bose VCS-10 that I have now.

I have limited space for a center speaker so I need a low profile (less than 6" high) speaker.
Coheednme13's Avatar Coheednme13 07:46 AM 09-11-2007
I just ordered the 550's from Crutchfield. I will have one of them corner loaded because of the shortfalls of my placement options. I'll probably have them about 16" to 18" from the rear wall and about 12" from the side walls/entertainment cener. My question is for anyone who has or has heard the 550's corner loaded. Does corner loading them bloat the bass? I see that gus has his pretty close to the back walls. If the bass was bloated did anyone install the included port plugs? Did this help. Thanks for any help/opinions
buzzy_'s Avatar buzzy_ 03:51 AM 09-12-2007
Quote:

It seems that no one sells black speaker wire around me.

Car audio shop/section of big store, or online like cardomain.com
luclin999's Avatar luclin999 03:37 PM 09-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCoug View Post

I am thinking of upgrading my center speaker (Bose) to the Mirage OMNISAT v2 CC

Anybody use that speaker? Can you give me your reviews.

Please don't lecture me on needing a matched speaker set to get the best sound because that is not my question.

I just want to know if the Mirage OMNISAT v2 CC would be a significant upgrade over the Bose VCS-10 that I have now.

I have limited space for a center speaker so I need a low profile (less than 6" high) speaker.

I'm using an Omnisat for my center and it sounds great, however I don't have a Bose to compare it to so I can't really say how one would perform over the other.

I will say that I originally had a direct firing JBL speaker as the center which sounded very nice but once I went to the Omnisat there was no going back.
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop