Forum Jump: 

post #2971 of 6724 Old 07-14-2009, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrider4ever View Post

Also - I'd recommend you look into an external power ampilfier, I just picked up a Emotiva LPA-1 and it did wonders for my bedroom 5.1 setup. Highly Recommend!

Amen! I know alot of ppl out there have their mirage setups hooked to receivers but when you mate the newer mirage speakers with a warm sounding amp it balances in the highs out, reduces the harshness and gives them a FULLER more open sound. I have gone thru so many receivers and returned them all until finally settling down with powering my stuff with NAD amps. I dont plan to stray away from this combo for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 6724 Old 07-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclark View Post

Amen! I know alot of ppl out there have their mirage setups hooked to receivers but when you mate the newer mirage speakers with a warm sounding amp it balances in the highs out, reduces the harshness and gives them a FULLER more open sound. I have gone thru so many receivers and returned them all until finally settling down with powering my stuff with NAD amps. I dont plan to stray away from this combo for a while.

Yep, these speakers will never know a receiver - poweramp or death!

Page 100 pwnage, w00t!
post #2973 of 6724 Old 07-14-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:

I really want a pair of OMD-28's, but now is def. not a good time for me. The OMD-15's are now 33" out from the back wall, so that's almost 3 feet. Anymore and I'm sure I'll get yelled at by the wife lol.

The 28's are about that far out from the wall. Thank god it's my office - got my pc and desk with all my crap. We have a spare bed as a day bed in there and my wife's orbital ski machine that collects dust, so no one can complain!!!
post #2974 of 6724 Old 07-14-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclark View Post

I noticed a big difference with my old OM-6's when I went from a denon reciever to Parasound New classics. The wattage was roughly the same, but the sound is night and day...
post #2975 of 6724 Old 07-16-2009, 09:58 AM

which is better omnisat v2 center or omni c150?
post #2976 of 6724 Old 07-16-2009, 10:44 AM

Liked: 11
hey all, long time lurker to this thread first time poster (i think)....

I'm running a 6.1 system comprised of Mirage Nanosats for my fronts, surrounds, and single surround rear. I have the Nano CC as my center channel and a Polk PSW10 sub.

I'm considering "upgrading" to tower speakers for my fronts, but I'm concerned about them blending in with the rest of my system.

Would something like Polk Monitor 60s or 70s blend well with Nanosats as surrounds?

Mancave: UN46D7000, Onkyo 818, Mirage OMD-C1, OMD-5 (2), HSU STF-2, PS3, XBox360, Wii, DirecTV, AppleTV v2

Den: LG 55LX9500, Onkyo 709, Polk RC85i (3), Polk PSW10, DirecTV, AppleTV v3

post #2977 of 6724 Old 07-16-2009, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Take a look at Vann's as they're selling some Mirage OMNI floorstanders for pretty short money.
post #2978 of 6724 Old 07-16-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

Take a look at Vann's as they're selling some Mirage OMNI floorstanders for pretty short money.

The cherry 550 had been at $150 for a while, then jumped up to $200 and is now at $180. If they get to $150 again, I'll probably jump on them.
post #2979 of 6724 Old 07-16-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
The cherry 550 5.0 package for $499 is an outstanding deal though!

Afro GT
post #2980 of 6724 Old 07-16-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Yes, I know. Trying to justify it right now.
post #2981 of 6724 Old 07-18-2009, 08:02 AM

Having recently purchasing a full OMD 5.0 system (15's, C1, and R's) I am now looking for a sub. What are your experiences with various subwoofers as far as "matching" the OMD line?

I am considering a HSU VTF-3 Mk3 because the room is so large and open on nearly every side. Has anyone used the Mirage Prestige S10? I have found a decent deal on that one.

I am open to any other suggestions. Thanks

(If anyone knows where two more OMD-R's might be available, I am interested if the price is right.)
post #2982 of 6724 Old 07-18-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

That looks like a sweet deal. I have a friend who's thinking about doing the HT thing. He liked my system with the OMD-15's. When more came around, I let him know about it, but he had to think about it and missed out on that short window.

I have never heard these speakers but own the OMD line and some older OM-even line. How does the 550's fit in? Does anyone have them that has either of the lines I have and how do they compare? I saw the reviews on Vanns and it seems like they're all new to the omnipolar soundstage. I'm looking for a more critical review... Build quality, sound, etc...
post #2983 of 6724 Old 07-18-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblopes View Post

That looks like a sweet deal. I have a friend who's thinking about doing the HT thing. He liked my system with the OMD-15's. When more came around, I let him know about it, but he had to think about it and missed out on that short window.

I have never heard these speakers but own the OMD line and some older OM-even line. How does the 550's fit in? Does anyone have them that has either of the lines I have and how do they compare? I saw the reviews on Vanns and it seems like they're all new to the omnipolar soundstage. I'm looking for a more critical review... Build quality, sound, etc...

i bought some from vanns, and I think that they are great speakers. The bass is very tight, and is not too load, or too quiet. The mid-range is also pretty good, everything is pretty clear. There is just 1 spot in the sound that seems to suffer, and it's to spot inbetween the tweeter and midrange speaker, but it's really hard to notice, as i can rarely hear a lag in the sound. Also, the wood finish looks a lot better than the one in the picture, as it is a darker shade. I did have problems with the top grill fitting properly, but with a lot of pushing and readjusting, it finally went in. the price (Around $150-200) is relatively cheap considering its performance so i would recommend that you get it

Quote:

My biggest complaint about the 550's is the lack of detail for music. For movies - it's fine, but if you enjoy 2.0/2.1 music - these speakers won't let you hear all of it. However, for the price - it's a no brainer.

i haven't noticed anything missing, but then again, i haven't heard the omd line speakers, maybe someday, i'll have to buy a pair to see what i've been missing out on
post #2984 of 6724 Old 07-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

My biggest complaint about the 550's is the lack of detail for music. For movies - it's fine, but if you enjoy 2.0/2.1 music - these speakers won't let you hear all of it. However, for the price - it's a no brainer. You can pay a lot more for a speaker that's just as 'non-detailed'
post #2985 of 6724 Old 07-18-2009, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdokc View Post

Having recently purchasing a full OMD 5.0 system (15's, C1, and R's) I am now looking for a sub. What are your experiences with various subwoofers as far as "matching" the OMD line?

I am considering a HSU VTF-3 Mk3 because the room is so large and open on nearly every side. Has anyone used the Mirage Prestige S10? I have found a decent deal on that one.

I am open to any other suggestions. Thanks

(If anyone knows where two more OMD-R's might be available, I am interested if the price is right.)

I have a Hsu ULS-15 -- I really like the sound of a sealed subwoofer coupled with the Omnipolar sound of Mirage.

I don't know if a performance comparison between the HSU VTF-3 Mk3 and the Mirage Prestige S10 is a fair match-up -- advantage to the VTF with its 12" woofer and extension down to 18 Hz, not to mention it's 50 lbs. heavier. Of course, preference and price can tip that scale.

The OMD-R is a nice speaker -- good luck in your search.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #2986 of 6724 Old 07-18-2009, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the opinions. He balked at the 15's at $500ea, so critical music might not be his bag. He'd probably be happier with nano's, but I thought the room was too big at the time for smaller satellites...
post #2987 of 6724 Old 07-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7r53l View Post

i haven't noticed anything missing, but then again, i haven't heard the omd line speakers, maybe someday, i'll have to buy a pair to see what i've been missing out on

My 'test' track for speakers is R.E.M. - Losing my Religion, grab a copy and go 2:00 minutes in. Right as the chorus starts - you will hear violins playing - well you *should* hear violins playing. On the 550's they are distant in the background and barely audible unless you are keen on the fact that it's their - and they don't sound like violins.

On the OMD-15's - they sound like they are in front of the music - almost startingly so, very in your face and not subtle. I jumped out of my listening position and had to make sure it wasn't music playing from another room (it wasn't!) when I first heard it. That's when I knew, OMD-15's 4life!
post #2988 of 6724 Old 07-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblopes View Post

Thanks for the opinions. He balked at the 15's at $500ea, so critical music might not be his bag. He'd probably be happier with nano's, but I thought the room was too big at the time for smaller satellites...

The OMNI550's will impress anyone who's never heard better or has a keen ear for detail Don't pass on them as they still throw a huge soundstage, I'm using them for my rear surrounds - and the background effects just dance around the room - sounds fantastic.
post #2989 of 6724 Old 07-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

I'm giving a link to my copy of R.E.M. - Losing My Religion in .flac so users can hear a non compressed (mp3) version of the song. As I said above, Roughly 2:00 minutes in, listen for the violin during the chorus - it should be very clean and foward sounding with a good DAC / speaker / amp combo. If it's in the background or just sounds like a noise that's blending into the music then the speakers aren't able to produce the detail to give the violin it's 'space'

Link - http://rapidshare.com/files/25772553...gion.flac.html
post #2990 of 6724 Old 07-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

My 'test' track for speakers is R.E.M. - Losing my Religion, grab a copy and go 2:00 minutes in. Right as the chorus starts - you will hear violins playing - well you *should* hear violins playing. On the 550's they are distant in the background and barely audible unless you are keen on the fact that it's their - and they don't sound like violins.

On the OMD-15's - they sound like they are in front of the music - almost startingly so, very in your face and not subtle. I jumped out of my listening position and had to make sure it wasn't music playing from another room (it wasn't!) when I first heard it. That's when I knew, OMD-15's 4life!

I read your post and pulled my CD, I listened to it on both 15's and 28's and I agree very clear to me.
post #2991 of 6724 Old 07-21-2009, 11:50 AM

I wish it were black 550's from Vanns, at those prices. I'm wondering if the cherry would be ok ...
post #2992 of 6724 Old 07-21-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang View Post

I wish it were black 550's from Vanns, at those prices. I'm wondering if the cherry would be ok ...

Okay with who?

Afro GT
post #2993 of 6724 Old 07-21-2009, 12:07 PM

I was thinking of bi-amping my OMD-28's. The plan was to use the two channel 250w amp for the bass and use two channels of the five channel 125w amp for the mid/high end. A friend of mine suggested if I bi-amp, the high end does not need as much power as the low end.

I will move the connecting plate that connects all three binding posts to the top two. The cable from the 250w amp will go to the bottom binding posts and the cable from the 125w amp will go to the middle binding posts. Do I need separate external crossover circuits if I move the connecting plates on the back of the 28's to connect the middle and top posts together?

The 2250 has a "loop out" connection next to the input connection (from pre-amp) so I can daisy chain amps to the same pre-amp connection. Not sure if that would introduce a noticable delay (ms) in signal between amps or not. The alternative would be to use some type of Y interconnect cable.

Does anyone think there is much to gain from this effort? This will consist of getting two new wall plates (8 connects) and running the two cables between the the walls in addition to cables from amp to wall and wall to speaker.

Currently the speakers are connected to the 250w amp. Both amps are Parasound New Classics (2250 & 5125).
post #2994 of 6724 Old 07-21-2009, 12:57 PM

That seems that like a good idea. But I have one guestion. Do your Parasound amplifiers have the same volum i DB when you loope them?

You could/would hear it if the Bass was 1+ dB over det mid/high. Simple to find out with a Radioshack if you have.

I have the 28 front my self and they do LOVE power. I have a SC-LX71(SC-05) in biamp modus and no problem with that as the MCACC fix the volume on each channel. But I do think that my LX71 is struggeling when my rear OMD28and OMDC2 arrive....

Rune
Norway
post #2995 of 6724 Old 07-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

I think a pair of Emotiva XPA-1's (1000wpc) for less than $2k would take care of those speakers needs quite well
post #2996 of 6724 Old 07-21-2009, 03:58 PM

Re: biamping 28's with 2 parasound amps -
That's the beauty of hifi! You must try it and listen for a difference, since you have the gear. Let us know, it sounds like fun. If those 2250's can run mono, you could also someday try adding another and running mono....
Re: Emotiva, I think the lower powered Parasound might sound better, given their rather good pedigree. It would be great to have both on hand to try though, since big power always sounds fun on a big speaker! looking forward to your post on the bi-amp experience
post #2997 of 6724 Old 07-21-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

I have a Hsu ULS-15 -- I really like the sound of a sealed subwoofer coupled with the Omnipolar sound of Mirage.

I don't know if a performance comparison between the HSU VTF-3 Mk3 and the Mirage Prestige S10 is a fair match-up -- advantage to the VTF with its 12" woofer and extension down to 18 Hz, not to mention it's 50 lbs. heavier. Of course, preference and price can tip that scale.

The OMD-R is a nice speaker -- good luck in your search.

Thanks for the input...will look into the ULS-15.

Found OMD-R's at one place but hard to spend over 1K for the pair when I got the first two for such a great deal!!
post #2998 of 6724 Old 07-21-2009, 07:56 PM

does anyone have opinions on the mirage omnisat v2 CC vs energy rc-mini cc ?

what if i use 3 of them for L/C/R?

I have some rc-mini ccs on backorder, and i'm trying to decide if i should pick up 3 of the omnisat v2 cc instead

thanks!
post #2999 of 6724 Old 07-22-2009, 12:05 AM

Liked: 12
Hey guys, i ended up getting the Vanns deal on the OMNIs, got the Cherry! they came to about $800 CAD with shipping/exchange/taxes

and they finally arrived! they look/feel a LOT better than i was expecting! I'm really happy with them

still breaking them in but from what i can tell so far they're a huge upgrade to what i was using

hey i want to put my 150's on stands i know its not prepared (holes on the bottom or anything) for that and i was going to use some 3m double sided tape to get them on the stands but my dad suggested drilling a few holes in them for screws!! i'm against it but i think if i dont come up with a solution first my dads gonna go ahead and do it even though they're my speakers -_-

i read through the thread and it looks like everyone with 150s either mounted them to the wall or just placed them on the table top, do you guys have suggestions for using stands?

post #3000 of 6724 Old 07-22-2009, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzou0 View Post

does anyone have opinions on the mirage omnisat v2 CC vs energy rc-mini cc ?

what if i use 3 of them for L/C/R?

I have some rc-mini ccs on backorder, and i'm trying to decide if i should pick up 3 of the omnisat v2 cc instead

thanks!

3 Omnisat CCs doesn't sound like a very good idea. The RC Minis could be set up vertically for L and R, but you couldn't do that with the Omnisats - you'd have to have 3 horizontal speakers.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page