Mirage Speakers - Page 149 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4441 of 6783 Old 09-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
sid369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quick question about the Mirage nanosat prestige 5.0 . My friend and i went to best buy and listened to it and he liked it. Its for his new house in the family room. His room i approx 15X15

He will be using it with his yamaha v757 receiver. So is he spending $500 in the right speakers. Also he is planning to wall mount them. Where does he wall mount them I mean - what height is appropriate?

Thanks
sid369 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4442 of 6783 Old 09-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
irfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

Quick question about the Mirage nanosat prestige 5.0 . My friend and i went to best buy and listened to it and he liked it. Its for his new house in the family room. His room i approx 15X15

He will be using it with his yamaha v757 receiver. So is he spending $500 in the right speakers. Also he is planning to wall mount them. Where does he wall mount them I mean - what height is appropriate?

Thanks

higher up and upside down
irfan is offline  
post #4443 of 6783 Old 09-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
irfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapS View Post

For those who have the OMD line in rosewood... Would you say you find the color contemporary? Modern? Classic? Rich? Do they 'fit' in a more modern setup? Is the piano black much more modern? I have piano black, but adding a C1 and really like the rosewood look for it. Problem is all my other furniture is black so I'm trying to decide if it would blend ok or if I should stick with piano black.

Thanks.

i had both side by side.. the rosewood looked nice, but just didnt mesh with my dark wood finished and other black equipment. even my GF said the black fit the decor better. If I had a lighter color scheme rosewood may have looked better.
irfan is offline  
post #4444 of 6783 Old 09-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Member
 
versus21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm torn between Mirage's top end OS3 setup compared to 5 x OMD5. I have read opinions of the OS3FS vs the OMD15 but my room is 10' x 11', so it is rather small. So the OMD-15 would sadly be too imposing but they look oh so delicious.

It will mostly be used for video games but video game content varies so I would say 60% movies 40% music?. I currently have the Spherex 5.1 Xbox system made with Mirage speakers. Which I have enjoyed for about 4 years but think it is time for an upgrade since I just upgraded to a new Panasonic V25 plasma 3dtv. *below is link to more info on the xbox mirage system*

http://www.amazon.com/Spherex-51000-.../ref=de_a_smtd

I have access to a discount on the OS3 line so the entire setup of 2x OS3-FS, 1x CC, 2x OS3-SAT will cost me $760 + tax. This is about the same cost of 5 x OMD5 from Vanns.

I will be purchasing 2x OMNI s10s for subs (under $500 with discount) and have been looking at a Pioneer VSX820 receiver to power which ever system.

Any opinions or advice on the 2 different setups for my needs from experienced Mirage users would be of a great help! Thanks!

I'm guessing by looking at the specs the main difference would be of a single 5.5 inch driver compared to multiple 4.5 inch drivers. I prefer the aesthetics of the OS3 setup but I care more about sound quality then anything.


# OMD5 (Recommended Amplifier Power: 10- To 175-Watts (Unclipped))
# Impedance: 6-Ohm Nominal, 4-Ohm Minimum
# Tweeter: 1" Pure Titanium Hybrid Dome
# Woofer: 5.5" Titanium Deposit Polypropylene Cone With Butyl Surround
# Crossover Point: 2.3 kHz
# Frequency Response: 60Hz-20kHz, +/-3dB
# Room efficiency: 90 dB
--------------------------------------------------------------------
* OS3FS Power rating: 10W - 175W recommended amplifier power
* Nominal impedance: 8 ohms (4-ohm minimum)
* Tweeter: 1" pure titanium hybrid tweeter
* Midrange: 4.5" poly titanium deposit hybrid driver with phase plug and single 4.5" passive radiator in sealed sub-enclosure
* Woofer: Two 4.5" poly titanium deposit hybrid drivers with phase plug and four 4.5" poly titanium hybrid passive radiators
* Crossover: 900Hz, 2.5kHz
* Frequency response: 52Hz - 20kHz ┬▒3dB
* Room efficiency: 93dB

# OS3-CC Power rating: 10W - 175W
# Impedance: 8 ohms (nominal) / 4 ohms (minimum)
# Tweeter: 0.75" pure titanium hybrid tweeter
# Midrange: 3" poly-titanium-deposit hybrid driver
# Woofer: Two 4.5" poly-titanium-deposit hybrid woofers with neodymium motors, phase plugs, and patented Ribbed Elliptical Surround technology
# Crossover: 700Hz, 2.7kHz

* OS3-SAT Power rating: 10W - 150W recommended amplifier power
* Nominal impedance: 8 ohms (4-ohm minimum)
* Tweeter: 1" pure titanium hybrid tweeter
* Midrange: 4.5" polypropylene titanium deposit hybrid driver with phase plug
* Crossover: 2.7kHz
* Frequency response: 70Hz - 20kHz ┬▒3dB
* Room efficiency: 89dB
versus21 is offline  
post #4445 of 6783 Old 09-10-2010, 01:55 AM
Newbie
 
juksu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't have mirages but I like more to game with 5 same speakers. When you turn in the game you can hear if the sound changes when it goes trought every speaker. Like if a male speakers is speaking in the game and you turn your back to the speaker. Floorstanders goes lower and you can hear it. It depens on the listener how much does it disturb.
juksu is offline  
post #4446 of 6783 Old 09-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Newbie
 
pfmusician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for advice. Just bought a blu ray player. Want to add surrond sound in a 15' X 20' room. Have been looking at the Nanosat® 5.1 Home Theater System - any advice/opinions on this system. Not looking to blow the walls off - just good, crisp lifelike sound. What would be a suitable receiver to use with this system. Have a TV, Roku and Blu Ray player - all HDMI. Is 7.1 sound really necessary. Thanks in advance
pfmusician is offline  
post #4447 of 6783 Old 09-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dr. Spankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
versus21,

I, like you, were introduced to Mirage's omni-directional sound via the Spherex system.

When I started to crave a more substantial system, I bought 5 original Omnisats (styled just like the Spherex) and an S8 sub. This alone was a tremendous upgrade.

Then I wanted to get serious when outfitting my actual theater room. For 7.1, the V2 FS and V2 CC came onboard along with a eD A7s-450 sub and 4 Omnisats.

The OS3 FS and CC are very close in performance to the V2 line. You'll be quite pleased with the sound of that matched system. If there is a weak point, I'd say it's in the CC. It just doesn't dig low enough to blend well with my subwoofer and can sound a little boxy if pushed to loud levels.

Enjoy!

pfmusician,

I personally enjoy the "omni" sound as it really does create an engulfing "bubble of sound". It would be a very nice sounding, matched set for moderate listening levels.

As far as 7.1: it's fun, but not necessary. There is very little content that is specifically encoded for 7.1, so usually you'll be listening to your receiver's decoding of 5.1 to the rear surrounds. But it does give nice spacial "cues" to broaden the soundstage.

Plus, you'll want to have sufficient space behind you to accomodate such a set-up. You don't want them propped between the back wall and the couch you're sitting on!
Dr. Spankenstein is offline  
post #4448 of 6783 Old 09-17-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzy_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
pfmusician, go back to about here in the thread and read the thread. Nanosats aren't enough for that size room, and there's a great price on OMD5s right now.

FYI, for anyone with a smaller room interested in the Nanosats, Amazon has a decent deal on Nanosat 5.1 and a Pioneer receiver for $600 (you'll see the discount if you go to the checkout page). And a whole bunch of other deals on different stuff:
Amazon Wall of Bundles
buzzy_ is offline  
post #4449 of 6783 Old 09-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Member
 
versus21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply Dr. Spank.

While I was about to order the OS3 setup a co-worker talked me out of it due to new speaker lines coming from both Definitive technology and Klipsch.

I'm going to wait about a month and see if they are going to release accommodations for them as well.
versus21 is offline  
post #4450 of 6783 Old 09-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Member
 
Dermott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Wine Country, CA
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did not see in the thread, but has the OMD line been discontinued? If it says "On Order" for the status at Vann's does that mean they will not be getting them in again?

"What brings you to this nape of the woods, neck of the wape; How come you're here?"
Dermott is offline  
post #4451 of 6783 Old 09-19-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzy_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Most of the time "On Order" means they expect it will come back into stock at some point. That's why the page for each product says "Coming Soon."

But the only way to know if or when is to call Vanns.
buzzy_ is offline  
post #4452 of 6783 Old 09-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Member
 
Carny_Priest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question. I'm planning on putting together a multichannel HT system using OMD-5s for fronts and surrounds plus OMD-C1 center. Also including a Prestige S10.

The room is a den approximately L-17', W-11', H-8' (about 1,500 cu. ft.) with the TV mounted in about the middle of the long wall.

Any advantage with adding a second Prestige S10? Or even another sub with lower extension?

I expect the system to be used almost solely for HT although I do enjoy watching concert performances on HD cable and blu-ray.
Carny_Priest is offline  
post #4453 of 6783 Old 09-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Member
 
Carny_Priest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh, even though the main application is HT. I figured that having matching subwoofers would be good for stereo applications although I figure I'll have to do some creative wiring. My avr is an Onkyo TX-SR508.
Carny_Priest is offline  
post #4454 of 6783 Old 09-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: On Top
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carny_Priest View Post

Quick question. I'm planning on putting together a multichannel HT system using OMD-5s for fronts and surrounds plus OMD-C1 center. Also including a Prestige S10.

The room is a den approximately L-17', W-11', H-8' (about 1,500 cu. ft.) with the TV mounted in about the middle of the long wall.

Any advantage with adding a second Prestige S10? Or even another sub with lower extension?

I expect the system to be used almost solely for HT although I do enjoy watching concert performances on HD cable and blu-ray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carny_Priest View Post

Oh, even though the main application is HT. I figured that having matching subwoofers would be good for stereo applications although I figure I'll have to do some creative wiring. My avr is an Onkyo TX-SR508.

I have dual subs in my system and love it. 1 is S10 and the other is Energy ESW V10, same sub different name. Go for it especially if you are getting a good deal.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Spurrier Sucks is offline  
post #4455 of 6783 Old 09-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Member
 
Carny_Priest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post

I have dual subs in my system and love it. 1 is S10 and the other is Energy ESW V10, same sub different name. Go for it especially if you are getting a good deal.

Done! I've placed an order for another Prestige S10. Should be a pretty nice setup considering that I was originally looking at combining a couple of MX systems. Discounts are so deep right now on the OMD line that it was a no-brainer to upgrade. I've read through much of this thread, and I am glad I did.
Carny_Priest is offline  
post #4456 of 6783 Old 09-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Member
 
PDSway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just installed (1) Prestige S10 and it was a real PITA with wood floors. Basically don't even try those metal cone feet with the little metal "pads". Very difficult to get the pointed feet to land on the pads then then glued on "padding" just falls off if you move it even a cm. Bad/cheap design and very annoying.

They did include 4 rubber stick-on feet (not mentioned in the manual) so I just used them and so far so good but how long with they stick who knows. And how that affects sound quality also unknown.

That and the meager 1-yr warranty make me wonder if the Omni S10 is a better deal (in the long run).

Sound is good so far (can't crank it for awhile).
PDSway is offline  
post #4457 of 6783 Old 09-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: On Top
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carny_Priest View Post

Done! I've placed an order for another Prestige S10. Should be a pretty nice setup considering that I was originally looking at combining a couple of MX systems. Discounts are so deep right now on the OMD line that it was a no-brainer to upgrade. I've read through much of this thread, and I am glad I did.

Congratulations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSway View Post

I just installed (1) Prestige S10 and it was a real PITA with wood floors. Basically don't even try those metal cone feet with the little metal "pads". Very difficult to get the pointed feet to land on the pads then then glued on "padding" just falls off if you move it even a cm. Bad/cheap design and very annoying.

They did include 4 rubber stick-on feet (not mentioned in the manual) so I just used them and so far so good but how long with they stick who knows. And how that affects sound quality also unknown.

That and the meager 1-yr warranty make me wonder if the Omni S10 is a better deal (in the long run).

Sound is good so far (can't crank it for awhile).

I used the rubber feet also but I also put it on a subdude.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Spurrier Sucks is offline  
post #4458 of 6783 Old 09-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Member
 
PDSway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What are you using for your crossover value with this sub? (Mirage Prestige S10)

I use the bypass on the sub and have my receiver set to 100hz, though my Yamaha receiver "auto senses" 120hz.

I know it really depends on your fronts (how low they can go).
PDSway is offline  
post #4459 of 6783 Old 09-25-2010, 06:25 AM
b4z
Advanced Member
 
b4z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: chas.sc
Posts: 770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Boy did i ever mess up. I have Mirage M3s that i hve been storing in the garage for the last couple of years. These are the tower bipolar speakers that were $2500 originally.
Was in the garage last week and noticed that the base of the speakers have delaminated due to the moisture rising up from the concrete floor.
Should have put them on pieces of plywood.
I dont know if they are unfixable but they are certainly not worth much right now.
b4z is offline  
post #4460 of 6783 Old 09-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Member
 
Carny_Priest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick update -

Took delivery of the first set of speakers I ordered: two OMD-5 for front channels, OMD-C1 center channel and a Prestige S10 subwoofer. Outer boxes were a little beat up but intact. Factory boxes were fine. Everything sealed and new, as advertised.

The OMD-5s were factory perfect. The OMD-C1 had a small mark, about an inch long, on the cloth grill. You'd have to look carefully to see it. I'll just mount the grill so that the mark is in the back. No problem. The speaker itself looks great.

The subwoofer, however, was damaged. the unit has two rear-firing ports. One of them had come loose and the cylinder was just rattling around in the enclosure. I also didn't see the isolation feet included but frankly when I saw the damage. I just packed the unit back into it's factory box.

I contacted Vann's the following day. Customer service was helpful. They will schedule UPS to pick-up the faulty speaker in order to make an exchange. I don't know yet if they are going to do a cross-transfer. I had to delay the pick-up because I am unavailable until later in the week. I hope to have it completely scheduled with Vann's tomorrow.

In the meantime, this "second' sub will be coming in next week, so I'll be fine.

I'm "breaking in" as I type. I'm basically just running them in all channel stereo at low to moderate volume. When I am not watching TV I basically just tune in to music channels.

So far so good. Speakers sound sweet to me.

Right now, I have the center channel sitting on a TV bench, so it's blocking the bottom of the TV screen at the moment. I'm planning on mounting the C1 upside down from a shelf that is installed above the TV screen.

Quick question - I know the included mount works to mount on vertical surfaces. Has anyone used it to mount upside down (e.g., from a ceiling) or do people think that a separate, stronger mount is in order for mounting upside down.
Carny_Priest is offline  
post #4461 of 6783 Old 09-26-2010, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzy_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The enclosed mount should work the same whether it's mounted upside down or upside up on a wall - but IIRC, I don't think it works at all for mounting it upside down on a ceiling or the bottom of a shelf.
buzzy_ is offline  
post #4462 of 6783 Old 09-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Member
 
Carny_Priest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

The enclosed mount should work the same whether it's mounted upside down or upside up on a wall - but IIRC, I don't think it works at all for mounting it upside down on a ceiling or the bottom of a shelf.

To be more clear, I meant that I would mount the center channel speaker so that it would suspend from the bottom of a shelf that is attached to a wall. Seems like the little mount included with the speaker might work but it's not terribly secure for what I am describing. The speaker could slide off the mount and fall to the floor more easily than for the situation where the mount is used on a vertical surface, where gravity would keep the speaker in place.
Carny_Priest is offline  
post #4463 of 6783 Old 09-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Newbie
 
beisenla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can the Mirage OMD15s be used successfully with non Mirage surround speakers?
beisenla is offline  
post #4464 of 6783 Old 09-27-2010, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzy_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carny_Priest View Post

To be more clear, I meant that I would mount the center channel speaker so that it would suspend from the bottom of a shelf that is attached to a wall. Seems like the little mount included with the speaker might work but it's not terribly secure for what I am describing. The speaker could slide off the mount and fall to the floor more easily than for the situation where the mount is used on a vertical surface, where gravity would keep the speaker in place.

That's what I thought you meant. The included mount is kind of like a picture hook. Setting aside the minor issue that it would likely fall off - the other problem is that if mounted that way, the speaker would fire down at the floor.

You'd either need to add a little vertical piece to the bottom of the shelf, to mount the speaker on with the included mount, or get a mount that screws into the speaker mount on the back and then attaches to the bottom of the shelf.

BTW, how high would the speaker end up being if you mounted it there? You'd want it at least 6-7' up, if you can't do that get a mount that will let you angle the direction the speaker is aimed.
buzzy_ is offline  
post #4465 of 6783 Old 09-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Member
 
Carny_Priest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

That's what I thought you meant. The included mount is kind of like a picture hook. Setting aside the minor issue that it would likely fall off - the other problem is that if mounted that way, the speaker would fire down at the floor.

You'd either need to add a little vertical piece to the bottom of the shelf, to mount the speaker on with the included mount, or get a mount that screws into the speaker mount on the back and then attaches to the bottom of the shelf.

BTW, how high would the speaker end up being if you mounted it there? You'd want it at least 6-7' up, if you can't do that get a mount that will let you angle the direction the speaker is aimed.

Thanks, I see what you mean about the speaker firing down, and the bottom of the shelf is less than 6' up.

I had thought about looking for a piece of angle iron that I could attach to the shelf and then attach the included speaker mount. This would be pretty simple if I find the right piece of angle iron. I prefer to do something like this as it would raise the center speaker to about the same elevation as the front channel speakers.

Another option is to go to Ikea and find a riser or something of the same design and color as my existing TV bench and raise the level of the screen. I would just need enough width remaining on the TV bench to place the center channel speaker below the screen.

The angle iron seems the less expensive option to me.
Carny_Priest is offline  
post #4466 of 6783 Old 09-27-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzy_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The threaded hole on the OMDC1 is a readily available size, so if you did go the angle iron or L bracket route, you could bolt it to the speaker. You might need some spacers. That way you can leave the mount out of the setup, if you want.
buzzy_ is offline  
post #4467 of 6783 Old 09-27-2010, 07:07 PM
 
shodulik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post

Boy did i ever mess up. I have Mirage M3s that i hve been storing in the garage for the last couple of years. These are the tower bipolar speakers that were $2500 originally.
Was in the garage last week and noticed that the base of the speakers have delaminated due to the moisture rising up from the concrete floor.
Should have put them on pieces of plywood.
I dont know if they are unfixable but they are certainly not worth much right now.

Don't sweat it b4z...we've all done dumb things like that in the past. I've ruined so many good old toys, posters, electronics from storing them in attics, basements and sheds over the years. Live and learn. Now I keep all my boxes and store things in dry, temp regulated places.
shodulik is offline  
post #4468 of 6783 Old 09-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Member
 
NETPCTECH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can some of you Mirage fans help me out? I am interest in getting a set of OMD5's for the rear, OMD-C1 for center and OMD-15 or OMD-28 for fronts. My question is, how is the bass performance of the OMD-15? I would like a front speaker set that I can run without a sub. I live in an apartment and would really like to not have a sub (I put my current sub in storage). I am trying to be a good neighbor.

I currently use a set of Infinity Beta 50's which have dual 8" subs in each tower. The specs for the OMD-15 indicate that it can go down to 33Hz using one 5.5' driver. Is this true? I know these are audiofile level speakers with a bottom chamber for the speaker, but this is amazing to get this much performance from a 5.5" speaker if its true. I will be driving them with a Emotiva XPA-5 (5x200@8ohms and 5x300@4ohms). Any real world info would be appreciated.
NETPCTECH is offline  
post #4469 of 6783 Old 09-28-2010, 07:22 AM
Senior Member
 
monkuboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NETPCTECH View Post

Can some of you Mirage fans help me out? I am interest in getting a set of OMD5's for the rear, OMD-C1 for center and OMD-15 or OMD-28 for fronts. My question is, how is the bass performance of the OMD-15? I would like a front speaker set that I can run without a sub. I live in an apartment and would really like to not have a sub (I put my current sub in storage). I am trying to be a good neighbor.

I currently use a set of Infinity Beta 50's which have dual 8" subs in each tower. The specs for the OMD-15 indicate that it can go down to 33Hz using one 5.5' driver. Is this true? I know these are audiofile level speakers with a bottom chamber for the speaker, but this is amazing to get this much performance from a 5.5" speaker if its true. I will be driving them with a Emotiva XPA-5 (5x200@8ohms and 5x300@4ohms). Any real world info would be appreciated.

I have the same setup you are contemplating. In my opinion, while the 15's sound good in 2 channel with music and do a nice job reproducing the lower range, you really need a sub to "feel" the notes. I'd say it depends on what you listen to - if it is mainly music and you don't need a lot of thump from the lower end then the 15's are fine.
monkuboy is offline  
post #4470 of 6783 Old 09-28-2010, 07:49 AM
Member
 
NETPCTECH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkuboy View Post

I have the same setup you are contemplating. In my opinion, while the 15's sound good in 2 channel with music and do a nice job reproducing the lower range, you really need a sub to "feel" the notes. I'd say it depends on what you listen to - if it is mainly music and you don't need a lot of thump from the lower end then the 15's are fine.

Thanks for the reply. I am curious then about the specs since 33Hz should be pretty easily felt. Have you or someone else ever tried a frequency sweep using one of the AV calibration disc to see if the OMD-15s can actually reach that low? I position my current speaker in the corner to get the bass I need, which may not be an option for the OMD-15 since they rely on room reflections.
NETPCTECH is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off