7Likes

post #541 of 6797 Old 02-12-2008, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutdi View Post

Yeah, they are a terrific deal right now.

Vanns has the Nanosat+nanosub in white for $500 right now, but it isn't in stock. If it comes back and I haven't ordered anything else yet I'll probably still jump on it, and pretend I had never heard of the omni's

I'm having a hard time finding reviews on the Athena center. I find plenty of reviews on the C1, but not so many on the LSC-100. Does anyone know if a C1 would match the speakers well? I may actually get my center first, as it is what is lacking most on my onkyo's... though I probably shouldn't wait around to have this deal on the omnis disappear either.

I regret not buying a Mirage Center last time they were being cleared out by Vanns. Once they're gone, they're probably gone until Mirage releases new models. With Athena, they're probably gone for good as all the inventory is being sold off as the brand is going away.

As long as the speakers aren't too big, you shouldn't have a problem getting rid of them on eBay for close to what you paid. I saw a set of Omni 150s go for well over the $150 that they were selling for a few months ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 6797 Old 02-13-2008, 12:58 PM

Well, I pulled the trigger on the 350's from Vanns, they should be here next week. However, in reading back over the thread I read something that PULLIAMM wrote about the 350's needing a 4-ohm stable receiver to do their best. I have an Onkyo TX-SR505, which is not "certified" for 4-ohm performance.

This worries me a little. I want the best sound I can out of the speakers, but the receiver is new and I don't intend on replacing it. I'm also fairly uneducated about all this stuff, so I don't know much about it.

I guess my question is: with my receiver staying the same, would I have done better to get speakers that don't depend on 4 Ohms? Or will I be better off with the 350's and the non-certified onkyo? Clearly the best option is to get a 4 ohm-stable reciever and the 350's, but that just isn't an option for me.

Thanks, quick replies are appreciated, I don't have a lot of time to cancel my order (nor do I want to!)
post #543 of 6797 Old 02-13-2008, 01:40 PM

I'm sure it should be fine. Just check the Onkyo periodically to make sure it's not overheating
post #544 of 6797 Old 02-13-2008, 01:41 PM

My Onkyo receiver only goes down to 6 ohms and the speakers sound amazing, let them break in a few days to open up and you will love them
post #545 of 6797 Old 02-13-2008, 01:42 PM

FYI, Vanns seems to no longer list the NanoSat's in white as becoming available in the near future, but they do seem to have gotten the 350s in Cherry.
post #546 of 6797 Old 02-13-2008, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. My receiver is certified for 6 ohms so I'm thinking it should be ok.

I considered getting the cherry 350's. Super attractive, but everything else of mine is black.

When you guys talk about a break-in period (they say 100 hours or so), do you just keep the volume low? I live in an apartment where I can hear the neighbor's phone ringing, so turning up the volume loud isn't really an option. Can you break in at normal volumes, such as typical TV watching volume (loud enough to hear, but low enough that one could have a side conversation in the same room).

I'm still breaking in my plasma, which is getting sort of annoying. Ah well, the price we pay for quality!

BTW, I ended up with the 350's in front, Athena Center, and 150's in the rear rather than the 350's, assuming I win them on eBay. Wish me luck!
post #547 of 6797 Old 02-13-2008, 03:35 PM
b4z
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I personally see no reason to buy the 550s. If you are going to use a sub anyway the extra bass response doesn't really help. The 550s are just physically too big and don't offer any real performance benefit.
I am using the 350s without a sub and they'll produce the heck out of a bass guitar.
The 550s have a larger midrange so I think vocal midrange would be worse than the 350s smaller speaker.
I did wish these speakers had more extension in the treble but I am extrememly happy with them. They are a true audio bargain.
I am listening to Mark Knopfler's Shang ri la right now and am happy as a pig in slop.
post #548 of 6797 Old 02-13-2008, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
i love my 550's...

"if your gonna be a bear, be a grizzly.!"

can never have enough bass
they are big, and beautiful
i can assure you that the midrange is very good on the 550's...

i could have gotten the 350's...but i also could have gotten a v6, but settled for a v8

just messin, i will probably get 350's for the rear sound.
post #549 of 6797 Old 02-14-2008, 07:03 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Well, I pulled the trigger on the 350's from Vanns, they should be here next week. However, in reading back over the thread I read something that PULLIAMM wrote about the 350's needing a 4-ohm stable receiver to do their best. I have an Onkyo TX-SR505, which is not "certified" for 4-ohm performance.

Should be fine. Onkyo amps are known for their high-current output. My 350s sounded fabulous with an Onkyo C315 mini-system receiver (of course, they sound better with my new Cambridge Audio Azurs, but those are just better electronics all around.)
post #550 of 6797 Old 02-14-2008, 12:56 PM

Not only did the Vanns deal on the White Nanosats disappear ($500), but the black nanosats are now marked at their normal price of $800, and they still aren't in stock.
post #551 of 6797 Old 02-14-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Not only did the Vanns deal on the White Nanosats disappear ($500), but the black nanosats are now marked at their normal price of $800, and they still aren't in stock.

Sigh, those white Nanosats would have been perfect for me . I suspect that maybe they did get a set of the White Nanosets in, sold it quickly, and the item lingered on their site? The Omni 260s were only there for a day or two before selling out.
post #552 of 6797 Old 02-14-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

got the ok from the wife for some mirage omni 150's

now...WHERE CAN YOU FIND THESE..??

called crutchfield (they had some 2 weeks ago for $120.00 pair) they are out, and not sure if going to get any.

none at vanns, frys, amazon.

some on ebay, but

any help.
post #553 of 6797 Old 02-14-2008, 09:50 PM

Oh no, you can't get the 150s, you'll just have to try and snag a pair of OMD-5s then

Seriously though, I believe that the Omni line is discontinued (someone correct me if i'm wrong), and those were all closeout models. Except for Ebay or maybe a local dealer (who can check if API still has any in stock) chances are slim you'll get a pair. The last NIB pair I saw on eBay went for considerably more than the $150 the owner probably paid.

Keep checking audiogon and videogon, considerably better signal to noise ratio than eBay.
post #554 of 6797 Old 02-15-2008, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

the 550's are the best speakers i have ever had.
but getting the rear surrounds are going to be a challenge.
i contemplated a center for to long, and lost an opportunity to get the 150's.
now i just want a nice 4.1 system, and getting the other 2 are going to be a pain.
if i cant find any 150's in a week, i will get something else. i know the rears do not have to match as well as the front three, so i will look for something i can mount on my walls, and black..
post #555 of 6797 Old 02-15-2008, 06:13 AM

I just won a pair of 160's last night on eBay: $195 + $25 shipping. So the scarcity is driving up the prices.
post #556 of 6797 Old 02-15-2008, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just won a pair of 160's last night on eBay: $195 + $25 shipping. So the scarcity is driving up the prices.

wow....

that was you, i was watching that one in my ebay. stopped bidding at 135.00
post #557 of 6797 Old 02-15-2008, 07:14 AM

Yup, I certainly didn't get a deal by any means, but it was still cheaper than getting another pair of 350's (which wouldn't have really worked in my room anyway).

I just really wasn't willing to risk mismatching my setup. My other option was to get Omnisats for the rears, but those are still going for over $200 a pop, so double what I paid for the 160's.

All told, I do feel I ended up on a fairly good deal on the whole set... 5 speakers, including shipping, came out to be US$637. It would have been $100 cheaper a few weeks ago, but c'est la vie.
post #558 of 6797 Old 02-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The white Nanosat system has been discontinued nearly as long as the Nanosat Prestige line has been in existence (close to 2 years if memory serves). Way back when the Nanosats first came out, they were available in a complete 5.1 package and came in black/platinum (still current), white, and platinum.

The reason that the white system showed up at Vanns, and also the reason that they have Omni-350's in cherry (a finish that was only available in European markets when the line was current) is because they have taken advantage of some of those close-outs I mentioned a little while back in this thread. As of January 1st this year, there were only 5 Nanosat systems in white even available, and I'm sure Vann's took them all.

Finally, the price adjustment on the black/platinum Nano system is because there was a promotion going on with the system to sell it at a reduced MSRP of $599 which has expired.

Hope this clears up any confusion and congrats on your Omni series purchases.

"What's better? A great 2D movie or the worst 3D movie?" - Stephen Colbert
post #559 of 6797 Old 02-15-2008, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intence View Post

Seriously though, I believe that the Omni line is discontinued (someone correct me if i'm wrong), and those were all closeout models. Except for Ebay or maybe a local dealer (who can check if API still has any in stock) chances are slim you'll get a pair. The last NIB pair I saw on eBay went for considerably more than the $150 the owner probably paid.

Keep checking audiogon and videogon, considerably better signal to noise ratio than eBay.

I won't correct you since you are absolutely right. The Omni series has been officially discontinued for some time now and is fast becoming long gone. Once Vann's and Crutch are out of models, the only means of purchasing would be through B&M dealers who may still be sitting on some models in inventory (like myself) and those others you have also mentioned.

As for what API still has in stock, as of January 1st this year, there were 433 individual Omni-550's in black in their warehouse. The only other Omni series items were very limited quantities of Omni-350's and 550's in cherry (a finish only available in Europe when the line was current). The cherry 350's as we all know are at Vann's right now. There were also 4 Omni-C150's in cherry at that time, and I'm sure those came and went so fast it wasn't even funny.

That's the official scoop guys! Let me know if you need anything else and I'll try to help.

post #560 of 6797 Old 02-15-2008, 08:20 AM

Has anyone seen the Cherry finish on the Omni Series? It it vinyled, or veneered? I remember seeing the OM9s in Cherry and that was really nicely done, but then again, that was a much pricier speaker

TDI Driver, anything left from the original OM series? I'm a sucker for the older Mirage stuff
post #561 of 6797 Old 02-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intence View Post

Has anyone seen the Cherry finish on the Omni Series? It it vinyled, or veneered? I remember seeing the OM9s in Cherry and that was really nicely done, but then again, that was a much pricier speaker

TDI Driver, anything left from the original OM series? I'm a sucker for the older Mirage stuff

As far I as know, the cherry finish on the Omni series is a vinyl wrap like the black ash finish is.

From memory - I have the stock report at home now due to all the AVS questions - the only OM series were some tight quantities on OM-R2 in white, OM-C2 and OM-C3. No towers unfortunately, but if there had, I would have a pair of OM-5's in my living room right now

post #562 of 6797 Old 02-18-2008, 05:35 AM

Liked: 14
Several people have mentioned wanting a pair of Omni 150s. I have a pair that I am no longer using. One has a small dent in the tweeter, but the sound is not effected.
PM me if interested.
(Note: I love my 350s, but it will be interesting to see how much I still love them after receiving my Cambridge Audio S30s, which match my electronics exactly. If I strongly prefer the CAs, the 350s may also end up being for sale, and they are mint.)
post #563 of 6797 Old 02-18-2008, 10:51 PM

Hey folks, looking to upgrade my surrounds after getting my Onkyo 705... so the Omni series is dead? Meaning that finding Omnican 5's or 6's in white will be challenging in the near future?
post #564 of 6797 Old 02-19-2008, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWV View Post

Hey folks, looking to upgrade my surrounds after getting my Onkyo 705... so the Omni series is dead? Meaning that finding Omnican 5's or 6's in white will be challenging in the near future?

The Omni series does not include the Omnican, but the Omnican line is going through a change/cosmetic update at the moment with a new model line-up shipping in May. Hope this clears things up.

post #565 of 6797 Old 02-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

Several people have mentioned wanting a pair of Omni 150s. I have a pair that I am no longer using. One has a small dent in the tweeter, but the sound is not effected.
PM me if interested.
(Note: I love my 350s, but it will be interesting to see how much I still love them after receiving my Cambridge Audio S30s, which match my electronics exactly. If I strongly prefer the CAs, the 350s may also end up being for sale, and they are mint.)

Dude you change speakers more than people change socks. You just got the Mirage not too long ago and you are already getting new speakers. What made you go for the Cambridge? If anything I would see that as a horizontal and maybe downgrade considering the Omni 350 are full range when compared to the small S30.
post #566 of 6797 Old 02-19-2008, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post

Dude you change speakers more than people change socks. You just got the Mirage not too long ago and you are already getting new speakers. What made you go for the Cambridge? If anything I would see that as a horizontal and maybe downgrade considering the Omni 350 are full range when compared to the small S30.

easy on mr pulliam.

he just sold me some mirage 150's.........awesome..!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #567 of 6797 Old 02-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch-digger View Post

easy on mr pulliam.

he just sold me some mirage 150's.........awesome..!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol I am just wondering about his purchase. Didn't mean to come out as an attack or anything, this is just pure curiosity.
post #568 of 6797 Old 02-19-2008, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Driver View Post

The Omni series does not include the Omnican, but the Omnican line is going through a change/cosmetic update at the moment with a new model line-up shipping in May. Hope this clears things up.

TDI, can you tell us what changes are being done to the Omnicans?
I'm VERY pleased with my 6's, but if, for example, they're getting a very noticable increase in frequency response, might be worth upgrading.

BTW, if the new 6's are indeed worth getting as compared to the current models, you've got the sale if you can ship to S.C.
post #569 of 6797 Old 02-19-2008, 04:47 PM
b4z
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
PULLIAM,

If you like Cambridge Audio try the audioadvisor.com sale on the 540R receiver. Only $499 and built like a tank .Sounds better than my old Sony ES.

What made you buy the Cambridge Audios? There is not much info on them. Did you listen to them, or just buy them mail order because of the low price point?
post #570 of 6797 Old 02-19-2008, 08:12 PM

I am still waiting on all my mirages, but I did get the Athena LS-C100. It's larger than I expected, but it looks good.

My concern is with how it sounds. It's far clearer, less muddy than my Onkyo. But today I noticed when moving around in my TiVo menus there is a gritty sound when the TiVo makes sound effects. I haven't really heard it when watching content yet, but it's totally apparent when making theses sound effects. It appears to come from the tweeter only. Changes in volume don't alleviate the problem, and I have tried swapping out the cables. It doesn't happen on my old CC. I guess I would describe the sound like an additional vibration, like someone had placed a little piece of plastic up against the tweeter. It appeared to diminish after running through audessy calibration, though it's not gone and I don't know what setting diminished it.

So what do you guys think? Defective center?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page