AVS Forum banner

Mirage Speakers

998K views 7K replies 829 participants last post by  eab6287 
#1 ·
I want start this thread to focus on discussing Mirage speakers. It appears that Mirage has started to go small in recent years, promoting OmniSat or some new variation of it. I would like to hear from people familiar with the Mirage brand of speakers on their opinions on comparing Mirage floorstanding OM series of speakers with these OmniSat speakers. Reading Mirage website, they seem to suggest that OmniSat performs almost to the level of OM speakers. It is hard to believe that the alumnium cased little speakers could perform to the level of wood cabinet of the OM speakers. The OM series speakers referred here are OM-6, OM-5, and OM-9.

Hopefully, we can have a lively discussion here.

#452 ·
The smallest bookshelf in the old line vs. the biggest floorstander in the newer line is something of an apples and oranges comparison.

I haven't heard the new line, but you'd think the old drivers (if they're still working fine) would as you say have a bit of an edge.

And it sounds like you love the old speakers, which I can understand completely as it's a very nice sound. Read this love letter to the Omni 50:
http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/mirage_omni50.htm

It really might be a sideways move unless you're clear what you're trying to accomplish.

What is it you're trying to accomplish? Do you need more sound? Then it might be necessary, though you might want to look at the amplification side. With 91db sensitivity and 100 watts of power handling, it should put out a pretty good amount of sound.

More bass? Do you have a sub now? It not, it wouldn't be hard to integrate a sub as long as your receiver/amp has some basic crossover features.

Would the time/money be better spent upgrading something else or improving the way the system interacts with the room and your listening position?

#453 ·
I do currently have a sub. A HSU TN1220, which is a very capable sub at that.

I am considering the C550's since they have more bottom end and then I could set my amp to "large". for the front speakers. I will be getting a Panny XR57 soon and it supports LPCM over HDMI, but it does not support base management in such a configuration. So the subwoofer will unfortuneltly have it's LFE signal -10db down when running in this config from some sources. (a known LFE bug of the XR57)

Having the C550's running full range over my current omni 50's set to SMALL will give me additional bass management/cross over choices and flexibility in my setup.

#454 ·
Anyone have a recommendation for a center speaker to go with a pair of 350's?. I haven't been able to find C150's in stock or on ebay, etc.

I'm also unsure which direction to go with the surround speakers. I could pick up a pair of nanosats or another pair of 350s? or would they be too much for rear speakers?

#455 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by g79 /forum/post/12856758

Anyone have a recommendation for a center speaker to go with a pair of 350's?. I haven't been able to find C150's in stock or on ebay, etc.

I'm also unsure which direction to go with the surround speakers. I could pick up a pair of nanosats or another pair of 350s? or would they be too much for rear speakers?

350's all around including the center channel would be pretty killer. Perfect for movies as well as multi channel audio.

#456 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by g79 /forum/post/12856758

If you can't accomodate a tower in the center, you could try to find a 150 (the regular bookshelf, not the center.)

#457 ·
Anyone here have a chance to compare the OMNI 350's and 550's to the Polk RTi10's? I've torn between these two speakers. I like the sound of the Polks, but I have yet to hear ANY Mirage speaker and the concept of the omnipole speaker really intrigues me. Can anyone provide a brief comparison?

#458 ·
I took advantage of the blowout pricing on the 350's and was SOOO impressed that I decided to fish around for a deal on OMD-15's. Put up a saved search on fleabay and BAM, 48hrs later, platinum seller, NIB right at half price.

Just unpacking these jewels was a joy because the workmanship is just top notch. The piano black is so high gloss it almost looks plastic but is much too rich looking to be mistaken for plastic. You can move them around a lot more easily too with the supplied rubber gloves. Gives you a good grip without fingerprints.

Placement is less than optimal but I expected good results anyway since the 350's performed so well in the same spot. Mirage recomends 100 hour break in but I ran Audyssey anyway on my SR705, only measured 3 locations though instead of 8.

All I can say is that I am just stunned at the width of the sounddstage, the depth of the tight bass and the details within the music that I just wasn't hearing before. They sound so clean, I listen at slightly lowered volume levels now because I can still get such detail - they just peform at all listening levels.

The 350's are moved to the rear surrounds with another pair at the sides sides. I picked up an OMD C1 from the same seller and now am the proud and very pleased owner of an all mirage 7.1 system.

I can't wait for it all to pass the 100 hour break in point so I can re-run the set-up for all 8 room locations. I'm going to have to go through my whole DVD and CD colection all over again.

#459 ·
well i did it..

i ordered my omni 550 from crutchfield this morning. $339.00 for pair. free shipping.

blind purchase for me. have not heard them but have read some pretty good reviews.

this is the beginning of my new home theater.

had my cambridge soundowrks bookshelf's for about 9 years, hoping to hear some improvement.

edit now i need a center. a few posts up someone said to use the 150 if the c150's are not available. any one else on that subject.?

#460 ·
I still love my 350s, but not as much as I did before last weekend. What happened last weekend is that my mom stopped using my old Athena Audition F1s and gave them back to me. It turns out that I still prefer those overall (though the Mirages remain far superior in the imaging department.) Interestingly, the Mirages and Athenas are "family" (both API.)

#462 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ /forum/post/12958392

Pulliam, your posts are often interesting, but - you change speakers like other people change socks. Or hats maybe. Or something. Maybe you should add that to your sig? Fair disclosure.

Technically, listening to the Athenas again doesn't qualify as "changing" speakers since I have owned them for years. I merely hadn't heard them lately as my folks were using them.

#463 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM /forum/post/12750918

I have just ordered the Omni 350s (leaves me with about $40 until next payday, LOL.)

It will take a week to get them, and I am already champing at the bit. If my 150s are any indication, they will sound awesome!

I was right, they sound awesome. The Already amazing imaging of the 150s is enhanced even more, and the bass will have peaople searching for a hidden sub! Not merely a steal at $300, they sound like they should cost well over $3000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM /forum/post/12957305

I still love my 350s, but not as much as I did before last weekend.

You had them for 2 weeks, tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ /forum/post/12958392

Pulliam, your posts are often interesting, but - you change speakers like other people change socks. Or hats maybe.

They're not interesting. They're a sad joke.

#464 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/12963764

You had them for 2 weeks, tops.

Turns out I was driving them with the wrong amp. My old amp, while powerful, is not 4 Ohm stable. The Mirages are 8 Ohm nominal, but actually 4 Ohm throughout much of their range (especially the bass.) My new amp has less power, but is 4 Ohm stable and that makes all the difference. The 350s are now my favorites again.

#466 ·
OM-C3 or Omni V2 CC?

I have the OM-C3 right now to match up with my OM9s, but i'm thinking of getting the Omni V2 CC, since the OM-C3 is bulky and really doesn't sound great. I should have bought an OM-C2 when I still could have gotten my hands on one, but it seems that without ponying up a lot of cash for the OMD center channel, the Omin v2 CC looks like a good bet?

#467 ·
Not having heard the CC, I would advise to look long and hard for an OMC2 off of audiogon or something. I did the same thing about 1.5 years ago, went from an OMC3 with my OM9's to an OMC2 and the OMC2 timbre matches almost perfectly with the 9's. Supposedly it matches better with the 9's then the 7's or 5's if I recall reading that somewhere correctly. Something about having the same cross over frequency with the tweeter (1.9 khz versus 2.0 on the 7's and 5's) and same size drivers.

#468 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc /forum/post/12967602

Not having heard the CC, I would advise to look long and hard for an OMC2 off of audiogon or something.

This would be the wide consensus. Especially since you have a center you can use while you wait.

If the OMC3 isn't enough for you, I don't know that the Omnisat would be any better.

Though I've never heard anyone say the OMC3 didn't sound good - only that it didn't have enough power for their tastes. You might want to check the settings on your receiver.

And you didn't say where you were putting it - the 3 speakers you've mentioned all have different placement requirements, with the OMC3 being the only one that can really handle being in a shelf/tight space.

#470 ·
Yeam, the OMC3 doesn't sound bad, it's just underpowered, I probably should have been more clear on that. Actually, I like the wallmounting ability of the Omni CC v2, the OMC3 is a bit bulky. I wouldn't mind the bulk of the OMC2 since it's such a pretty speaker

On the other hand, does anyone know what direction Mirage will take now that they're owned by Klipsch? Are Andrew Welkner and Ian Paisley still designing for them, or will design go in-house at Klipsch (that would suck).

#471 ·
Don't know the direction they are heading, but I have been putting ideas for new products in the inboxes of both the new national director of sales and my rep (both Klipsch group staff). Just an FYI, I received a long fax of what were listed as "closeouts" this morning. Pretty much everything current is on the list. Could be inventory reduction or it could mean that new product is due this year. Only the powers that be know where they are going with this, but I was assured that the unique design of Mirage speakers are attractive to Klipsch group and the brand is not going away like the Athena brand did a week ago. Don't know about the involvement of Andrew and Ian but I've been in this business long enough to suspect the worst.

#474 ·
TDI Driver, it sounds like you've been in the business for a while, i'm hoping the API brands get to keep their identity. In a way Athena replaced Sound Dynamics, but now it appears to be more of restructuring from Klipsch's input. I'm really hoping that API's brands get to keep their identity.

#475 ·
"Just an FYI, I received a long fax of what were listed as "closeouts" this morning. Pretty much everything current is on the list. Could be inventory reduction or it could mean that new product is due this year. " You're talking about Mirage there, not Athena? If so, that's big news.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.