Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 6724 Old 06-20-2006, 10:37 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there any info. on new Mirages, besides the OM series?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 6724 Old 06-22-2006, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

Is there any info. on new Mirages, besides the OM series?

No, except that they will be replacing the Omni line with something else (or at least a newer iteration) this fall, according to Martin at Mirage. I'm ignoring all impulses to add to the Mirage I have, and will wait to see what they offer. Might be worth it. They really need something to fill more of the middle ground.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #33 of 6724 Old 06-23-2006, 02:34 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVboy View Post

No, except that they will be replacing the Omni line with something else (or at least a newer iteration) this fall, according to Martin at Mirage. I'm ignoring all impulses to add to the Mirage I have, and will wait to see what they offer. Might be worth it. They really need something to fill more of the middle ground.

I don't see any 'Omni' series; are you talking about the 'Omnisat (v.2)' series or something else?

Any specific month for this replacement line?

BTW, by 'new' I was referring to 'replacements', as well.
post #34 of 6724 Old 06-23-2006, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post

I feel that Mirage has gone slightly downhill
it is no big loss.

down hill?????
these are down hill?

Quote:

What do you guys think of using:

Fronts- OS v2 'FS' and 'CC'
Backs- OS v2 'Satellites' ?

should be good, as long as you don't have a big! room or expect big spl numbers.

LastStarFighter

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

my gear
post #35 of 6724 Old 06-26-2006, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

I don't see any 'Omni' series; are you talking about the 'Omnisat (v.2)' series or something else?

Any specific month for this replacement line?

BTW, by 'new' I was referring to 'replacements', as well.

http://miragespeakers.com/omniseries.shtml

Looks like they aren't referenced on the new site though.

post #36 of 6724 Old 06-26-2006, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Direct from Martin (Mirage):

A new entry level OMNI Series is on its way...we are planning to ship the first products to stores in September. The series will consist of 2 Towers, 1 Satellite and 1 dedicated center channel...

More information is coming soon!

post #37 of 6724 Old 07-06-2006, 07:07 AM

I have to get a smaller replacement for my MCsi center speaker that I use with my M7si speakers. Has anyone tried to replace the center with a smaller Omnisat v2 center channel while retaining the M series main speakers? How has that sounded? The curse of a larger display!!!! Can't have the center speaker hitting the ceiling!
post #38 of 6724 Old 07-08-2006, 04:10 PM

*bump* one more try!
post #39 of 6724 Old 10-25-2006, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC View Post

IMHO - The old Mirage had some "big" and expensive groundbreaking products such as the M1 speaker which were highly regarded in the audiophile community. Since they were bought out by Audio Product International (the parent company for Energy, Athena and some others) years ago, their product line has shifted more to the mass market. Nothing wrong with that, I just think their products in general have slipped a few notches but they are also cheaper. IMHO, the last highly regarded product they made was the BPS-400 sub which I did own. I listended to their Omni Sats when they first came out. I was to use these in my second system. I came away very disappointed at the performance and then I heard what the price was and was further disappointed. I ended up with much cheaper Energy Take 5.1s which I felt better suited my needs.

I would like to Bi Amp my M-1's (Still one incrfedible speaker) and recall reading when I bought the speakers 15 years ago, that they were bi-ampable. I am planning to use an Audio Research Amp for the top (D-115) and an Ad Com 555 for the bottom. Can these amps be connected directly to the M-1's or do they need additional external crossovers?
post #40 of 6724 Old 10-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

The crossovers are already there. The only problem you will have is matching the gain for each amp.
post #41 of 6724 Old 10-25-2006, 06:58 PM
dm
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
post #42 of 6724 Old 10-27-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speters View Post

The crossovers are already there. The only problem you will have is matching the gain for each amp.

Many thanks - re balancing gain, I will use a high grade vol control on Record Out from the pre-amp.
post #43 of 6724 Old 11-01-2006, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I am fearful.

a) API was bought by Klipsch, and Klipsch wrecked Mondial Designs/Aragon/Acurus after they bought them.

b) Just looked at the new Omni series. Only available in black in the U.S.? What's with that?

c) I'm wondering about pricing. The old Omni towers topped out at $1k per pair. But the OMD series is really up there. Will they have anything in the $1500 to $3k/pair range?

I have 2 OM-7's, an OM-C2, and 4 Omni 60's. This is the best setup I've had. I started out with a Def Tech setup, then tried an all Vandersteen setup, but came back to the bipolar/omnipolar sound. I just feel that they do a better job of disappearing into the room and creating a soundstage, vs sounding like a box producing sound.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

post #44 of 6724 Old 11-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C Brown View Post

I am fearful.

a) API was bought by Klipsch, and Klipsch wrecked Mondial Designs/Aragon/Acurus after they bought them.

b) Just looked at the new Omni series. Only available in black in the U.S.? What's with that?

c) I'm wondering about pricing. The old Omni towers topped out at $1k per pair. But the OMD series is really up there. Will they have anything in the $1500 to $3k/pair range?

As a Mirage dealer, I too am fearful. I had a lengthy post addressing this back when the Klipsch purchase was announced. But so far everything has been transitioned smoothly without any indication of wreckage to API (knock on a very hard piece of wood).

Again, dismayed by the lack of cherry finish on the new Omni series, but according to my rep, the Omni series wasn't even supposed to be marketed here. Only after noticing that the OmniSat V2-FS floorstanding speakers haven't sold well or at all in the mid-west states did they decide to bring the Omni's to the US. I guess further market research led them to note that black sells better. It would be nice to offer a choice though given that people still want nice wood grain speakers and black ash (consider to be "timeless" by Mirage's description of the series) is so dated and "cheap" looking on a lot of speakers (my opinion).

As for the mid-priced high-end, the new OMD-15 retails for $2500/pr. but still a small speaker for that kind of money considering the price points satisfied by the old OM series. Would like to see a newly designed OM series but the price points would probably conflict with the OMD series making it not likely to happen.

By the way, very nice system you have put together. We have a pair of OM-5's still in our showroom that keep begging me to take home

"What's better? A great 2D movie or the worst 3D movie?" - Stephen Colbert
post #45 of 6724 Old 11-02-2006, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info!

I have flirted with swapping the front 3 for Energy Veritas (still in the API family), but after the last two big speaker swaps, I'm simply afraid that I wouldn't be getting better sound. But I do plan to investigate the new OMD-5's as rears.

Do you know what the list is for them, and for the 28's?

My set? All cherry finish. The OM's even match the Omnis pretty good.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

post #46 of 6724 Old 11-02-2006, 06:48 PM

I have the M5si. They really need room to breathe. Were perfect in my old 15 by 25 ft room, but the bass overloads my current 14 by 16 footer. 250 watts really gets them cookin'! Huge if somewhat diffuse soundstage.
post #47 of 6724 Old 11-03-2006, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do you know what the list is for them, and for the 28's?

I'll have to check those prices since I don't know them off the top of my head. I do believe the 28's list for $7000 (practically double the price of OM-5's). I usually get on this site in the mornings before opening the store and don't have all the price sheets on my home computer. Check this thread either later tonight or tomorrow and I'll put them up for you. Take care.

post #48 of 6724 Old 11-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mirage OMD series and new Omni series US RETAIL for Kevin and all interested
OMD-28 $7000 pair
OMD-C2 $2000 each
OMD-R $1000 each
OMD-15 $2500 pair
OMD-C1 $750 each
OMD-5 $375 each

Omni-550 $800 pair
Omni-350 $600 pair
Omni-150 $280 pair
Omni-C150 $250 each

Have a great weekend everyone!

post #49 of 6724 Old 11-03-2006, 03:08 PM

Thanks TDI,

If I remember correctly, didn't the original OMNIs retail for more then the new series? Does anybody know what has changed between the two series?
post #50 of 6724 Old 11-03-2006, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

TDI- Big gap between the 15's and 28's. I would imagine/hope they come out with an interval pair. They should also do one more center, about $1300 ea. I guess you could say there's a big gap in between the 15/C1 and 28/C2.

Original Omnis: 260 - $1000 a pair. (That one I know.)

post #51 of 6724 Old 11-03-2006, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

M760's here, circa 1989; $900/pair.
Still sound great after all these years.

Jack
post #52 of 6724 Old 11-04-2006, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Jack- I really like it when I see posts like yours. I've had my setup for about 3.5 years now. That's the longest I've had any multichannel speaker setup. Sometimes I think there's something wrong if I'm not hankerin' for something new. But then I think, that's upgradeitis talking, and it *is* possible to simply be happy with something you already have. Plus, I've made "upgrades" before ... that weren't. So I'm trying to learn from experience too!

post #53 of 6724 Old 11-04-2006, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jack- I really like it when I see posts like yours. I've had my setup for about 3.5 years now. That's the longest I've had any multichannel speaker setup. Sometimes I think there's something wrong if I'm not hankerin' for something new. But then I think, that's upgradeitis talking, and it *is* possible to simply be happy with something you already have. Plus, I've made "upgrades" before ... that weren't. So I'm trying to learn from experience too!

Thanks Kev.
I'm having a new house built, which will have a pretty big "great room" with an open floor plan typical of Florida construction. I'm quite confident that the 760's will do just fine in that room. Right now I'm considering new speakers ONLY because of appearances. The 760's look ok, but they are "black boxes". The finishes I see today are really beautiful and really tempting. But I'm a bit leary about replacing mine because they sound so good. I'll figure it out when we get into the new house in about 7 months.
BTW, when I bought the 760's (from a local dealer), they sounded better in my home than they did at the dealer. I soon added two pair of M260's (small bookshelfs) as front presence and rear surrounds. Mirage were sold as pairs back then, so the dealer picked another brand for a center channel; blended perfectly with the 760's. This was all run off of an Onkyo integrated amp rated at 80w/channel, two Yamaha power amps for the surrounds and center, and Yamaha's second stand alone DSP unit. This was when Dolby Pro Logic was just becoming available in home electronics. The Yamaha DSP only had Dolby Stereo, so they came out with a seperate unit just for Pro Logic, that could be used in conjunction with the DSP. This whole setup sounded terrific. The 760's are amazing with music or movie soundtracks. The bass absolutely rocks; tight, clean, fast and musical.

Jack
post #54 of 6724 Old 11-04-2006, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzatch View Post

Thanks TDI,

If I remember correctly, didn't the original OMNIs retail for more then the new series? Does anybody know what has changed between the two series?

New woofers (fiberglass composite cones instead of polypropylene titanium deposit hybrid cones).
New tweeter (aluminum dome instead of titanium).
New cabinet style (only available in black in the US).
The Omni-550 is essentially the direct replacement of the Omni-260
The Omni-350 is the replacement for the Omni-250
The Omni-150 replaces the Omni-50
The Omni-C150 does not incorporate the Omniguide so really "Omni" is incorrect since it is a direct radiating speaker.

The biggest reason for price difference I would suspect is that like most of the new Mirage product (OmniSat V2 series, Uni-Theater, NanoSat and Nano-Prestige) they are made overseas.

Wow - I just compared the Omni-260 to the new Omni-550 from the spec sheets on Mirage's site and the numer that really sticks out is weight.

original Omni-260 55 lbs ea.
new Omni-550 34.2 lbs ea.

post #55 of 6724 Old 11-04-2006, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

TDI...
Will you be carrying the OMD-15?
I'm giving serious consideration to that one, and I'd like to know how it sounds (no dealers where I am).

Jack
post #56 of 6724 Old 11-04-2006, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Driver View Post

The biggest reason for price difference I would suspect is that like most of the new Mirage product (OmniSat V2 series, Uni-Theater, NanoSat and Nano-Prestige) they are made overseas.

Do you know if the entire speaker (cabinets and drivers) are made over seas? I know that on my Omni FX speakers, the woofer was made in Canada, but the tweeter was made in China and asembly was done in Canada. Did Mirage move the assembly of most of their drivers over seas now also? The fact that they made their own drivers seemed to be a big selling point for them.
post #57 of 6724 Old 11-05-2006, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. I just checked and all of mine were made (assembled, at least) in Canada. Are the new Omnis made there, or ... somewhere else?

Quote:
New tweeter (aluminum dome instead of titanium).

This sounds like to me that they are cheapening them. The OMD's still have PTH tweeters, btw. TDI: I appreciate you being so honest about all this.

post #58 of 6724 Old 11-05-2006, 05:01 AM

Anybody know when the new Omnis will be available in the US? I would love to audition them againt my original Omnis to see what differences they have in sound. I do like the lower price points as I am looking for some new speakers for a 2 channel system and the 550s and 350s fall into my price range.
post #59 of 6724 Old 11-05-2006, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksmyname View Post

TDI...
Will you be carrying the OMD-15?
I'm giving serious consideration to that one, and I'd like to know how it sounds (no dealers where I am).

Jack

At the moment we have no plans on bringing them in since the price point is too high for our market. The people here are putting all of their money into their video display and audio is sadly secondary. It is really a shame and I agree it would be nice to hear these models

post #60 of 6724 Old 11-05-2006, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzatch View Post

Do you know if the entire speaker (cabinets and drivers) are made over seas? I know that on my Omni FX speakers, the woofer was made in Canada, but the tweeter was made in China and asembly was done in Canada. Did Mirage move the assembly of most of their drivers over seas now also? The fact that they made their own drivers seemed to be a big selling point for them.

All I can say is that the only current products we have recieved that physically say "Made in Canada" on them are the Omni-S8 and Omni-S10 subwoofers. The Uni-Theater, OmniSat V2/V2CC/V2FS, NanoSat, NanoSat Prestige, Nano Center, and I-6W all are labelled "Made in China." It can only be assumed that any forthcoming product will be the same. This change in manufacturing ocurred right around the time the original Omni series was phased out. It would be interesting to know where the OMD series is manufactured, but I honestly don't have high hopes that is is built in-house. Perhaps someone who owns them or has seen the label on the back can verify for us.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page