6Likes

post #6181 of 6789 Old 04-15-2012, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by loboblast View Post

Mirage Unitheater, it acts as my L/C/R channel. It's in my sig.

Hello loboblast, I too own a Mirage-Unitheater that I ran for a year with 4 nanosats. I decided to try a couple OMD 5's out to see how I liked them.

They are great, Today I run OMD 15's OMD C-1 and OMD 5's.
I guess I liked them a lot.

My Living Room  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I live in Colorado, Where I started out with nothing...and I still have most of it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6182 of 6789 Old 04-15-2012, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYKAT View Post

Hello loboblast, I too own a Mirage-Unitheater that I ran for a year with 4 nanosats. I decided to try a couple OMD 5's out to see how I liked them.

They are great, Today I run OMD 15's OMD C-1 and OMD 5's.
I guess I liked them a lot.

Thanks for the feedback. First time posting eh.

LG 32LE5400
Harman Kardon AVR1600
Mirage Unitheater soundbar
Mirage MM6
Sennheiser HDR 170
post #6183 of 6789 Old 04-16-2012, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loboblast View Post

Thanks for the feedback. First time posting eh.

Yes it is, I've been around for awhile just soaking up the knowledge and advice of those members that have been at this for a long time.
Arnie

My Living Room  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I live in Colorado, Where I started out with nothing...and I still have most of it.

post #6184 of 6789 Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 AM

Just pulled the trigger on a Open Box OMD-C2 Black for $539 from Vann's and was wondering how the timbre match will be.
I got the Lsi9s because of space limitations in my buildt-in HT bookshelf. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
post #6185 of 6789 Old 04-17-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunderbeck View Post

I'm buying 2 Mirage M5si speakers tomorrow, because I was told they'd match my other speakers tonally, and I wanted to make sure my Onkyo tx-nr808 has enough power for them and the other speakers I own plus a subwoofer.

Atlantic Technologies 254 SR Surround Speakers
Mirage OM-C3 center channel speaker
I'll be buying a PSB 5I
and I may still use the Mirage M-290s

Please let me know before I buy if you can.

sorry for the late post...

Not familiar with power output of onkyo. My buddy has a pair (not sure if si's) and he powers them with an adcom 200W amp and they sound sweet, in fact, that was the main reason I considered the Mirages when I bought the OM-6s 12 years ago. Might be hard to buy replacement cloth, if they need them. With that line, the smaller the number, the larger the speaker (M1, M3, M5, M7). For the M1s and M3s you probably need a dedicated amp, but also depends on what you're using them for...
post #6186 of 6789 Old 04-18-2012, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can anyone tell me how well the OMDR rear surrounds blend with other manufacturers front speakers? I have Paradigm Studio front 5 speakers. Mostly used for movies.

post #6187 of 6789 Old 04-20-2012, 05:10 PM

Just received my Open Box OMD-C2 from Vann's. Ordered it Monday they shipped it Tuesday and I received it in the Bay Area this afternoon Friday.
Vann's packaging was excellent! Not a scratch anywhere! Double boxed with styrofoam bumper pads all the way around. This center channel is a monster!
Here's my question has anyone placed this center above their HT screen?
The Owner's Manual says "this will cause less performance than below the screen".
Any feedback would be appreciated.
post #6188 of 6789 Old 04-20-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsufootball View Post

Just received my Open Box OMD-C2 from Vann's. Ordered it Monday they shipped it Tuesday and I received it in the Bay Area this afternoon Friday.
Vann's packaging was excellent! Not a scratch anywhere! Double boxed with styrofoam bumper pads all the way around. This center channel is a monster!
Here's my question has anyone placed this center above their HT screen?
The Owner's Manual says "this will cause less performance than below the screen".
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Congrats on getting a very nice center! I recently bought a C2 in black and I love it. Personally, I wouldn't recommend mounting it above your screen because the speakers face upward so if you mount it above the screen you're going to lose a lot of the sound and detail. Plus it is such a heavy speaker I would think you'd have to put it on a stand. Mine is on a stand out in front of the television (I feel it should not be too close to a wall or enclosed in any sort of cabinet).
post #6189 of 6789 Old 04-21-2012, 09:23 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkuboy View Post

Congrats on getting a very nice center! I recently bought a C2 in black and I love it. Personally, I wouldn't recommend mounting it above your screen because the speakers face upward so if you mount it above the screen you're going to lose a lot of the sound and detail. Plus it is such a heavy speaker I would think you'd have to put it on a stand. Mine is on a stand out in front of the television (I feel it should not be too close to a wall or enclosed in any sort of cabinet).

um.....you could mount it upside down, no?

Mancave: UN46D7000, Onkyo 818, Mirage OMD-C1, OMD-5 (2), HSU STF-2, PS3, XBox360, Wii, DirecTV, AppleTV v2

Den: LG 55LX9500, Onkyo 709, Polk RC85i (3), Polk PSW10, DirecTV, AppleTV v3

post #6190 of 6789 Old 04-21-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LansdaleHokie View Post

um.....you could mount it upside down, no?

Yes, but that seems kind of odd for a 32 lb speaker.
post #6191 of 6789 Old 04-21-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:

Monkuboy,
Thanks for your info I'll put it below my Panny Plasma GT30 or get a stand.
Any recs on a good stand?
Thanks!
post #6192 of 6789 Old 04-21-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Monkuboy,
Thanks for your info I'll put it below my Panny Plasma GT30 or get a stand.
Any recs on a good stand?
Thanks!

It's kind of tough finding a stand since the C2 is so big. Some people have it on their TV shelf with the TV mounted above it and some have purchased a stand. The problem I find is that most stands are too high except center channel stands, but those are either not large enough for a center like the C2 and/or they are angled. The C2 will slide right off. There is a Mirage discussion thread at the BluRay audio equipment forum where you can see some pics of members in that thread who have bought stands.

This is what I got from Amazon for my C2 - it's a riser:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W9TVJ0

It swivels but when I put it together I just put the swivel shelf on top instead of the bottom so it doesn't swivel or move. It's sturdy but is kind of low. I have mine sitting on top of an Auralex Gramma pad and also Auralex Mopads to raise it up. It looks a little odd but it's functional.
post #6193 of 6789 Old 04-21-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:

It's kind of tough finding a stand since the C2 is so big. Some people have it on their TV shelf with the TV mounted above it and some have purchased a stand. The problem I find is that most stands are too high except center channel stands, but those are either not large enough for a center like the C2 and/or they are angled. The C2 will slide right off. There is a Mirage discussion thread at the BluRay audio equipment forum where you can see some pics of members in that thread who have bought stands.

This is what I got from Amazon for my C2 - it's a riser:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W9TVJ0

It swivels but when I put it together I just put the swivel shelf on top instead of the bottom so it doesn't swivel or move. It's sturdy but is kind of low. I have mine sitting on top of an Auralex Gramma pad and also Auralex Mopads to raise it up. It looks a little odd but it's functional.

Thanks for your info, I'll keep looking. I may be able to put it on the shelf below the TV, but it will be slightly enclosed behind a speaker grill-like material. Not that would be a problem especially if I left the C2's speaker grill off. It would be a pity to hide such a beautiful speaker !
post #6194 of 6789 Old 04-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for your info, I'll keep looking. I may be able to put it on the shelf below the TV, but it will be slightly enclosed behind a speaker grill-like material. Not that would be a problem especially if I left the C2's speaker grill off. It would be a pity to hide such a beautiful speaker !

If it was above the tv, I would mount it upside down
post #6195 of 6789 Old 04-21-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd View Post

If it was above the tv, I would mount it upside down

Thanks, but not practical in my set-up.
post #6196 of 6789 Old 04-22-2012, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I don't think there is any practical way to mount a C2 upside down unless you want to start drilling into that beautiful cabinet. C1 on the other hand can be mounted on a wall upside down.
post #6197 of 6789 Old 04-24-2012, 07:11 AM

Liked: 11
I bought a VTI center channel stand for my C2, very solid construction.
post #6198 of 6789 Old 04-24-2012, 09:01 AM

Help me! I have a pair of OM-14 towers and love them.
Problem is I've managed to blow all 4 tweeters. Does anyone know where I could get some replacements that would fit these speakers?
They're listed as 3/4" (19mm) Pure Metal Hybrid Dome Tweeters.
post #6199 of 6789 Old 04-24-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzul View Post

Problem is I've managed to blow all 4 tweeters. Does anyone know where I could get some replacements that would fit these speakers?

if I was in your shoes, I would consider this as the finest excuse to buy a pair of OMD-15's for less than a grand,or the mighty OMD-28's for less than 3000....

it is called shopping therapy,and is very healing for old loves....

Proud owner of the biggest Mirage speakers collection in Greece...
The Mirage-plex is under construction...
post #6200 of 6789 Old 04-24-2012, 02:00 PM

Problem is my wife won't let me spend that much more $. Recently upgrade my receiver and subwoofer. I've got to make these last another year or so.
Besides, I'm not sure they would match my HDT center, which I love!! I would probably go for two more HDT's before the OMD-15's.
post #6201 of 6789 Old 04-24-2012, 02:24 PM

you didn't mention the waf factor.....
or that you would need a c-1 for center with the 15's....
on the other hand,I know how you feel as I own 7 OS-1 in grey-platinum color and made sure that I won't run out and bought another six from e-bay...
I have even painted my ceiling according to them...

good luck with your search....

Proud owner of the biggest Mirage speakers collection in Greece...
The Mirage-plex is under construction...
post #6202 of 6789 Old 04-24-2012, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Acoustic panels with Mirage speakers or not?

post #6203 of 6789 Old 04-24-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post

Acoustic panels with Mirage speakers or not?

Hey so we run into each other on this forum now! Personally, even though the OMD's use omnipolar technology that relies on reflections, any given room may need acoustic panels because of reflections in unwanted places, or reflections that need to be toned down. Even with conventional speakers, much of the sound you hear comes not directly from the speaker, but from reflections in the room which is why room treatments are so often necessary. A room may be too lively and thus really exaggerate the effects/character of the Mirage speakers to where the reflected sound became a hindrance.

I say try it and see!
post #6204 of 6789 Old 04-25-2012, 04:04 AM

Quote:

Hey so we run into each other on this forum now! Personally, even though the OMD's use omnipolar technology that relies on reflections, any given room may need acoustic panels because of reflections in unwanted places, or reflections that need to be toned down. Even with conventional speakers, much of the sound you hear comes not directly from the speaker, but from reflections in the room which is why room treatments are so often necessary. A room may be too lively and thus really exaggerate the effects/character of the Mirage speakers to where the reflected sound became a hindrance.

I say try it and see!

I agree. Also, for home theater applications, I highly recommend using an AVR with Audyssey XT32 calibration/correction. (I do no necessarily recommend any of Audyssey's lower level solutions. Only a few AVRs on the market, such as the Denon 4311ci, have XT32.)
post #6205 of 6789 Old 04-25-2012, 04:09 AM

Quote:

How did you blow all four tweeters in the OM-14s? If it was using your "upgrade" receiver, you might have a problem with that receiver.
post #6206 of 6789 Old 04-25-2012, 05:31 AM

Liked: 130
Quote:

I say try it and see!

I'm stalking you. I'm going to try some bass traps behind the front L and R, if it passes WAF, since they are so close to the wall. I may then try some in my rear corners. The side panels I wasn't sure of because of the omnipolar design but I may try some of those after the bass traps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbox View Post

I agree. Also, for home theater applications, I highly recommend using an AVR with Audyssey XT32 calibration/correction. (I do no necessarily recommend any of Audyssey's lower level solutions. Only a few AVRs on the market, such as the Denon 4311ci, have XT32.)

Right now I'm using ARC from my Anthem.

post #6207 of 6789 Old 04-25-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbox View Post

How did you blow all four tweeters in the OM-14s? If it was using your "upgrade" receiver, you might have a problem with that receiver.

I'm not exactly sure. Maybe it's not the tweeters but the crossovers? I actually hooked them up to a Marantz amp running at 150wpc which is within the ratings for the speakers.
After I did that for awhile, I got a new receiver and ran the Audessey setup without the amp, kept getting speaker errors on both OM-14's. So I read up on possible causes which point to tweeters. Ran CD with high frequency tones and sure enough nothing out of either speaker.
Just to test the receiver I hooked up another set of older bookshelf speakers in place of the 14's and completed the Audessey setup.
I keep asking myself that same question though, how in the world did both tweeters on each speaker go out at the same time?
post #6208 of 6789 Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:

I'm not exactly sure. Maybe it's not the tweeters but the crossovers? I actually hooked them up to a Marantz amp running at 150wpc which is within the ratings for the speakers.
After I did that for awhile, I got a new receiver and ran the Audessey setup without the amp, kept getting speaker errors on both OM-14's. So I read up on possible causes which point to tweeters. Ran CD with high frequency tones and sure enough nothing out of either speaker.
Just to test the receiver I hooked up another set of older bookshelf speakers in place of the 14's and completed the Audessey setup.
I keep asking myself that same question though, how in the world did both tweeters on each speaker go out at the same time?

Does that speaker have separate posts for low and high with a removable bar that's removed? I don't remember on the OM line if it has that or not. I know they have it on the OMD line. Maybe the bar is removed and you used to have multiple speaker wires connecting it... Did you pop the wood top and slide the cloth down to see if the tweeters are blown?
post #6209 of 6789 Old 04-25-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblopes View Post

Does that speaker have separate posts for low and high with a removable bar that's removed? I don't remember on the OM line if it has that or not. I know they have it on the OMD line. Maybe the bar is removed and you used to have multiple speaker wires connecting it... Did you pop the wood top and slide the cloth down to see if the tweeters are blown?

Yes, I have them linked with the bars. I pulled the cloth down on one and swapped the teeters front/back. They actually looked great and I noticed they're just wired in parallel so they're running of the same wires, swapping them made no difference.
I think tonight I'll try to test the actual tweeters with a multimeter to see if it's the speakers or the crossover. The more I think about it, that's more likely the problem.
I'll be sure to post my findings.
post #6210 of 6789 Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:

Yes, I have them linked with the bars. I pulled the cloth down on one and swapped the teeters front/back. They actually looked great and I noticed they're just wired in parallel so they're running of the same wires, swapping them made no difference.
I think tonight I'll try to test the actual tweeters with a multi meter to see if it's the speakers or the crossover. The more I think about it, that's more likely the problem.
I'll be sure to post my findings.

Well, tested both tweeters in one of my speakers tonight. Dead as a doornail, Ohm reading basically off the charts and then I did the battery test and nothing comes out. So basically, I somehow blew out all 4 tweeters in my OM-14's at the some time... Have no idea how that happened, I've been running clean power through them and haven't ever turned anything up to clipping. Oh well, I guess the shelf life of these is about 16 years. Not bad if you ask me.
So I now have a decision to make, I'd be looking at probably $160 just to replace the tweeters. I'd love to find a couple of the Mirage HDT speakers for sale. Just missed one last month of ebay. If anybody knows of a couple anywhere, please PM me.
Thanks!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page