14Likes

post #6721 of 6853 Old 07-06-2014, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottleflow View Post
Overall I am surprised at how well the OMD-15's sound. Not as good as the M series nor as good as my older Mirage 750's but they are interesting. The bass goes quite low but seems to lack a bit of definition/impact, spikes installed. At times there is a bit of a hollow coloration but I hear this from a lot of the newer mini-towers. These are good for sound effects though with the low frequency information. The lower midrange is my biggest gripe. Weak in this area and the mid mids are not as fleshed out as they could be. The upper mids/lower highs are clear and smooth but a bit over emphasized. This can be exacerbated by placing the speakers so the tweeters are reflecting off a TV screen. This speaker has very good macro-dynamics but not a lot of detail so micro-dynamics are limited. I am at hour 100+ and some have said that they will continue to improve in detail presentation.

Next is the stage and that is the reason I took a shot at these. They are pretty good in a 2 channel music environment but I got them for 2 channel HT. Here they work pretty darn well but set-up is important. Just as in the music system these guys need to be toed in. A decent amount of toe and the center fill will appear. Placed properly, the sound effects watching a movie is quite fun. The speakers will not 'disappear' but the width and depth can add to the excitement with sounds going outside the enclosure itself.

A bit over-priced at $850 but they do the space thing, sounding quite big even in a large open room, and they go quite deep in the lower frequencies. You can hear changes you make upstream and will overall 'tell it like it is'. By the way, I can be a rather harsh critic. My son really likes them for games on his PS3 and the wifey has been fairly impressed with them. Appearance wise I think the gloss black looks a little cheap but the binding posts are very nice and well spaced. I give the OMD-15 speakers a 7/10 so far.
Does anyone know if woot will be selling the omd-15's again.
I just bought a house and have a basement I can make my own , and it is far enough away from my wife to have her complain. I currently have 4 omd-5 and a omd center Chanel and a mirage sub for a 5.1 powered by a marantz 8001. I just bought a samsung 65" 8550 so I need to start hooking up my system. I really want to add 2 omd-15,s to make it 7.1 before I have a electrician come in to do the wires. Hopefully woot has them for $400 each again..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6722 of 6853 Old 07-06-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedcl View Post
Does anyone know if woot will be selling the omd-15's again.
I just bought a house and have a basement I can make my own , and it is far enough away from my wife to have her complain. I currently have 4 omd-5 and a omd center Chanel and a mirage sub for a 5.1 powered by a marantz 8001. I just bought a samsung 65" 8550 so I need to start hooking up my system. I really want to add 2 omd-15,s to make it 7.1 before I have a electrician come in to do the wires. Hopefully woot has them for $400 each again..
They currently have the OMD-15 available in black.

http://www.woot.com/offers/mirage-om...ef=cnt_wp_7_34
post #6723 of 6853 Old 07-09-2014, 09:28 AM

It looks like I missed it . I just opened the link and it says SOLD OUT.. Can someone please let me know it they pop up on WOOT again..

Right now I am running a 5.1 with 4 omd-5's and omd c1 and really wanted to make it a 7.1 adding 2 OMD-15's to the mix!
post #6724 of 6853 Old 07-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Pair of OMD-15's for local sale near Chicago. Gloss black.
post #6725 of 6853 Old 07-13-2014, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
There are some Black OMD-15's for sale at Woot $399 for 5 days or untill sold out.

http://electronics.woot.com/offers/m...f=cnt_wp_10_25

My Living Room  

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=CRAZYKAT

I live in Colorado, Where I started out with nothing...and I still have most of it.

post #6726 of 6853 Old 07-15-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYKAT View Post
There are some Black OMD-15's for sale at Woot $399 for 5 days or untill sold out.

http://electronics.woot.com/offers/m...f=cnt_wp_10_25

Crazykat , your setup is SICK!! I would hate to be your neighbor!!

I just picked up 2 OMD-15's to finish my setup.. I know have 4 OMD-5 for surrounds and back and a OMD c-s center and now 2 OMD-15's for the front. I was running a 5.1 with 4 OMD-5's and know I am set. Is there going to be a big difference from 5.1 to 7.1? Are most movies 5.1 not 7.1? Is it worth going 7.1 over the 5.1?
post #6727 of 6853 Old 07-15-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 282
I have a pair of Omni 60s. One speaker has a bad driver (I think). Anybody have an idea of the likelihood that it can be repaired given this model has been discontinued?
post #6728 of 6853 Old 07-15-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Crazykat , your setup is SICK!! I would hate to be your neighbor!!

I just picked up 2 OMD-15's to finish my setup.. I know have 4 OMD-5 for surrounds and back and a OMD c-s center and now 2 OMD-15's for the front. I was running a 5.1 with 4 OMD-5's and know I am set. Is there going to be a big difference from 5.1 to 7.1? Are most movies 5.1 not 7.1? Is it worth going 7.1 over the 5.1?
Thank You for the kind words. I do need to update my gallery since I've added a second PSA sub. and a custom stand for my OMD-C2 center.

Congratulations on picking up the OMD-15's they are great performers.
You should be very please with the sound of a 7.1 system. The Mirage Omds speakers will fill your HT with room filling sound.
If your receiver has a good room calibration system for your speaker set-up and you can plug in a 7.1 system try it out using using the different listening modes that are built into the receiver such as Dolby/DSX/DTX and All Channel Stereo, but it's all a matter of personal preference.
Some people prefer a 2 channel system, some 5.1 or 7.1 only and since I'm crazy I run a 9.2 set-up, but I have a couple of buddies on another Forum that run 11.2 set-ups.

Good luck and enjoy.

My Living Room  

I live in Colorado, Where I started out with nothing...and I still have most of it.

post #6729 of 6853 Old 07-15-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbcueducated View Post
I have a pair of Omni 60s. One speaker has a bad driver (I think). Anybody have an idea of the likelihood that it can be repaired given this model has been discontinued?
Have you tried taking the driver out to see if it might have a loose wire connection? I had to get into my 60 once to re-glue the pcv port tube, it's not to hard to take the driver out.

Also you might try calling 1-800-554-7724 it's Kipsch's number and ask for parts for Mirage speakers. I think it's a 6.5 woofer and a 1" tweeter they might even have one???? Also ask the parts guy if the same driver was used in any of the other Omd speakers. Good Luck.
The OMD 60 is a great speaker that you need to get back on its performance capability.
Hbcueducated likes this.

My Living Room  

post #6730 of 6853 Old 07-15-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Have you tried taking the driver out to see if it might have a loose wire connection? I had to get into my 60 once to re-glue the pcv port tube, it's not to hard to take the driver out.

Also you might try calling 1-800-554-7724 it's Kipsch's number and ask for parts for Mirage speakers. I think it's a 6.5 woofer and a 1" tweeter they might even have one???? Also ask the parts guy if the same driver was used in any of the other Omd speakers. Good Luck.
The OMD 60 is a great speaker that you need to get back on its performance capability.
Excellent advice and very much appreciated. Judging from your setup, you are well versed in Mirage products.
post #6731 of 6853 Old 07-15-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbcueducated View Post
Excellent advice and very much appreciated. Judging from your setup, you are well versed in Mirage products.
Your Welcome.
I started late with Mirage Omd line of speakers, Nanosats to 5's and C-1 and continued on from there and I would love to learn more and maybe own some of their excellent Vintage Speakers they produced someday.

My Living Room  

post #6732 of 6853 Old 07-19-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
There are a pair of used OMD-R's on fleabay right now but the seller must be out of his mind. Asking $1999!!!!!

While I'd like a pair, that is more than twice what I would pay for a new pair. Come on Woot, build us a batch.
post #6733 of 6853 Old 07-28-2014, 08:25 AM

There are some OMD-28"s & 15"s back on sale at Woot. It may be only a one day sale.

http://www.woot.com/plus/mirage-home-theater-speakers-3

My Living Room  

post #6734 of 6853 Old 07-28-2014, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a full infinity primus speakers 7.1 set up currently.. How big of an improvement would the 15s be in this set up? How would they sound if I keep everything else the same(or if I upgraded the center when they're available)
post #6735 of 6853 Old 07-28-2014, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
There are some OMD-28"s & 15"s back on sale at Woot. It may be only a one day sale.

http://www.woot.com/plus/mirage-home-theater-speakers-3
No center channel speakers and no burled maple =
post #6736 of 6853 Old 07-28-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post
No center channel speakers and no burled maple =
Here's a quote from the discussion thread at Woot.

davidl81 wrote:
Will there be a rep from Mirage on this board? I have been looking at these speakers for a while, but I really want the center channel to go with them. A month or so ago the Mirage rep stated that they would release some center channel speakers for Woot in the fall. I just wanted to see if that is still the plan or not.

Yes the centers are on order now. We will have both Rosewood and black C1's and C2's. They should run in October/November.

From Huntsette1 ( Woot Verified Vendor Rep)

Link
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5908421

My Living Room  

post #6737 of 6853 Old 07-28-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Here's a quote from the discussion thread at Woot.

davidl81 wrote:
Will there be a rep from Mirage on this board? I have been looking at these speakers for a while, but I really want the center channel to go with them. A month or so ago the Mirage rep stated that they would release some center channel speakers for Woot in the fall. I just wanted to see if that is still the plan or not.

Yes the centers are on order now. We will have both Rosewood and black C1's and C2's. They should run in October/November.

From Huntsette1 ( Woot Verified Vendor Rep)

Link
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5908421
I want the C2 in burled maple though.
post #6738 of 6853 Old 07-28-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I want the C2 in burled maple though.
Ha, so do a few other Mirage enthusiasts. Right now any of the Mirage Burled Maple Speakers that someone has, should be valuable.

My Living Room  

post #6739 of 6853 Old 08-09-2014, 08:08 PM

What is everyone powering the mirage speakers with?
I need a new reciever and am thinking marantz 7007 or denon 4000.
I want to tray and keep it under $1000?
What a/v recievers are you guys useing....
post #6740 of 6853 Old 08-11-2014, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I have a Denon X4000 powering a OMD-C1, 2 OMD-5 and 2 OMD-15. They sound great but the top of the receiver gets quite hot.
post #6741 of 6853 Old 08-12-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Depends upon what mirage speakers you have? I powered a set of 5's and 15's on a Pioneer Elite receiver for awhile with decent results, but when I stepped up to external amps for the front stage, I noticed a giant leap in performance. If you have 28's and a C2, no question, you must go externals or you'll never get close to having them reach their full potential. I would also encourage everyone, if woot sells the Mirage centers, forego the C1 and get the C2 no matter what L/R you have. It's a much more substantial speaker and will blow the C1 away in every respect. for home theater your center channel is your most important speaker....don't skimp and you'll be happy.

post #6742 of 6853 Old 08-12-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Depends upon what mirage speakers you have? I powered a set of 5's and 15's on a Pioneer Elite receiver for awhile with decent results, but when I stepped up to external amps for the front stage, I noticed a giant leap in performance. If you have 28's and a C2, no question, you must go externals or you'll never get close to having them reach their full potential. I would also encourage everyone, if woot sells the Mirage centers, forego the C1 and get the C2 no matter what L/R you have. It's a much more substantial speaker and will blow the C1 away in every respect. for home theater your center channel is your most important speaker....don't skimp and you'll be happy.

I have 4 OMD-5's as surrounds and 2 OMD 15's as fronts and a OMD C-1..
Are you saying the OMD c-1 will not do the job with the 15's?
I had a 5.1 system in my condo (4 omd 5 and a omd c-1) and just bought 2 OMD 15's on woot.

I am waiting on a electrician to run my speaker wires and want a new receiver (currently have a Marantz 8001) before I hook everything up..
post #6743 of 6853 Old 08-12-2014, 06:30 PM

I don't know if morbidcorpse is saying not to buy the C1 more then suggesting that the C2 is so much more of a speaker than the C1. He would have to expand on his comment.

The OMD-C1 is a great speaker and I used mine with my 15's for quite awhile ( it was the original match with the 15's ). When I had the chance to buy my C2 from Vanns before all their financial problems happened I jump on it. The C2 is the Flagship OMD Center that Mirage produced and used it with my 15's until the right deal came along for my eventual purchase of the OMD 28's.

The C2 will put you 1 step ahead in you system if you get it, but the C1 is no slouch. Like I said it is a great speaker and performer that you will be happy with, but the C2 is way ahead of it. There is no way to compare the 2 but to have owned and listened and tested them in your room and system.

My Living Room  

post #6744 of 6853 Old 08-13-2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
I have 4 OMD-5's as surrounds and 2 OMD 15's as fronts and a OMD C-1..
Are you saying the OMD c-1 will not do the job with the 15's?
I had a 5.1 system in my condo (4 omd 5 and a omd c-1) and just bought 2 OMD 15's on woot.

I am waiting on a electrician to run my speaker wires and want a new receiver (currently have a Marantz 8001) before I hook everything up..
I'm not saying the C1 is a bad speaker, ime saying the C2 trumps it in every respect....greater clarity with vocals, smoother, more prominent highs and TONS of depth and bass that the smaller drivers and cabinet of the C1 can't replicate. When you consider that the majority of a movie soundtrack is mixed to be played through your center speaker, why not get the biggest, baddest center available to you? I'm sure most would be happy with the C1, but why have a hotdog when you can have lobster? (sorry if this analogy is weird, I'm a vegetarian )

post #6745 of 6853 Old 08-13-2014, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just remember the c2 is HUGE and doesn't fit all rooms. Main reason I haven't got one.
CRAZYKAT likes this.
post #6746 of 6853 Old 08-13-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapS View Post
Just remember the c2 is HUGE and doesn't fit all rooms. Main reason I haven't got one.
I agree, it's Huge and somewhat Heavy.
I had a custom stand made for mine but I haven't had time to update my photo galley.

My Living Room  

post #6747 of 6853 Old 08-13-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapS View Post
This is true. The C2 is a behemoth. But if you can make it work, it's worth the price of admission, IMO.

post #6748 of 6853 Old 08-13-2014, 09:44 PM

This discussion does not mean anything if you can not get the speaker..
You say woot will have them but who knows how true that is..
Btw how much bigger then the c1 is it , double the size?
post #6749 of 6853 Old 08-13-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
This discussion does not mean anything if you can not get the speaker..
You say woot will have them but who knows how true that is..
Btw how much bigger then the c1 is it , double the size?
Which is why I said, "if."

post #6750 of 6853 Old 08-16-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I would have to find a way to get the C2, like my C1, wall mounted because with kids, stand mounting is not an option. So basically in order to wall mount the C2 you have to put it on a steady shelf above my TV? Has anyone done this?

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page