3Likes

post #6751 of 6772 Old 08-21-2014, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post
I would have to find a way to get the C2, like my C1, wall mounted because with kids, stand mounting is not an option. So basically in order to wall mount the C2 you have to put it on a steady shelf above my TV? Has anyone done this?
Could you mount it from the ceiling? How high would it be if it was above the TV? If the TV was against a wall, you could just get some metal brackets from Home Depot and mount it on the wall using those. Could do it upside down as well.

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences."Robert Green Ingersoll

Noman74656's Martycube Builds
My Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6752 of 6772 Old 08-22-2014, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It would be very hard to wall or ceiling mount a C2 upside down without drilling & screwing into the cabinet. Mirage did not build in any provision to wall or ceiling mount the C2.
post #6753 of 6772 Old 08-22-2014, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On the topic of Mirage center channel speakers, I recently bought a used MC-si. This model from the 1990s has an unusual binding post setup, where an auxiliiary pair of binding posts is used to make some type of alteration to the frequncy response characteristics. (These extra posts are not for bi-wiring.)

The label on the back of the speaker says, "IMPORTANT. Do not connect these upper binding posts to your amplifier or receiver. For use, see 'Fine Tuning' in your owner's manual."

Of course I don't have a copy of the manual, and I can't find one online. Is there anyone here who has a copy of the MC-si manual and can post the text from the Fine Tuning section of the manual? Or maybe even post a PDF of the whole manual?
post #6754 of 6772 Old 08-22-2014, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbox View Post
On the topic of Mirage center channel speakers, I recently bought a used MC-si. This model from the 1990s has an unusual binding post setup, where an auxiliiary pair of binding posts is used to make some type of alteration to the frequncy response characteristics. (These extra posts are not for bi-wiring.)

The label on the back of the speaker says, "IMPORTANT. Do not connect these upper binding posts to your amplifier or receiver. For use, see 'Fine Tuning' in your owner's manual."

Of course I don't have a copy of the manual, and I can't find one online. Is there anyone here who has a copy of the MC-si manual and can post the text from the Fine Tuning section of the manual? Or maybe even post a PDF of the whole manual?
I don't have a copy of the manual, but I used to own this speaker. When having the little metal piece connected to those upper binding posts, my understanding is that it somehow cuts the bass out of the speaker. I found this made my MC-Si sound really tiny and hollow. Hope this helps.

post #6755 of 6772 Old 08-22-2014, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post
I don't have a copy of the manual, but I used to own this speaker. When having the little metal piece connected to those upper binding posts, my understanding is that it somehow cuts the bass out of the speaker. I found this made my MC-Si sound really tiny and hollow. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply. So in your system, the sound of the MC-si was preferable without the little jumper piece installed?

By the way, the reason I want to understand exactly what the extra binding posts do (rather than just listen by ear and say, "This way sounds better") is that the Denon AVR I'll be using has Audyssey MultEQ XT32 which will be adding its own layer of correction. I want to use the MC-si in whichever mode provides the speaker with its least-doctored sound, then let the AVR handle any correction.
post #6756 of 6772 Old 08-22-2014, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbox View Post
Thanks for your reply. So in your system, the sound of the MC-si was preferable without the little jumper piece installed?

By the way, the reason I want to understand exactly what the extra binding posts do (rather than just listen by ear and say, "This way sounds better") is that the Denon AVR I'll be using has Audyssey MultEQ XT32 which will be adding its own layer of correction. I want to use the MC-si in whichever mode provides the speaker with its least-doctored sound, then let the AVR handle any correction.
That is correct, I preferred the sound of the speaker more with the jumper removed. As I thought about it more, I think the jumper actually cuts out some mid bass frequencies, if I'm remembering correctly? I think removing it would result in a less colored sound, IMO.

post #6757 of 6772 Old 08-25-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
It would be very hard to wall or ceiling mount a C2 upside down without drilling & screwing into the cabinet. Mirage did not build in any provision to wall or ceiling mount the C2.

Then in that case, I would probably just put the C2 on a strong shelf above the TV.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
post #6758 of 6772 Old 08-28-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I can't believe this, but my six year old daughter pushed in the tweeters on both my OMD-28's and then tried to pin the blame on her little sister.

Is it even possible to get replacement parts for these speakers now?
post #6759 of 6772 Old 08-28-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Do you guys leave the grilles off with little kids around? I can't see how this would happen with the grille's on.

Afro GT
post #6760 of 6772 Old 08-28-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve71 View Post
I can't believe this, but my six year old daughter pushed in the tweeters on both my OMD-28's and then tried to pin the blame on her little sister.

Is it even possible to get replacement parts for these speakers now?
If they are not completely destroyed, try a little scotch tape to pull them out.
post #6761 of 6772 Old 08-28-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Of course the grills were off (they were bought as living room decor more than anything). My six year old is extremely mature & well behaved and has never done anything like this before. We've received nothing but complements on her manners and kind/sweet nature from her school and other parents. She's like the perfect kid.... which I like to think is the result of a TON of effort on our part as parents.

My three year old can't reach up to the tweeters and the carbon fiber woofers seem pretty robust.

If there are other children playing about, then the covers come on.

I'm way more upset about her behavior (lying) than the monetary value of the speakers.

Anyway, this is not about parenting, but about trying to locate some replacements tweeters.
post #6762 of 6772 Old 08-28-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen View Post
If they are not completely destroyed, try a little scotch tape to pull them out.
Unfortunately, they are way passed that.
post #6763 of 6772 Old 08-28-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Sorry to hear that, Steve71. That must be frustrating.

I'm afraid I can't help with your question about buying replacement tweeters, but as a last resort have you considered instead selling them on Craigslist?

I hear you can get a good price for well behaved kids there nowadays.

Sorry. Couldn't resist that opening.

We now return you to our regular programming ...
morbidcorpse likes this.
post #6764 of 6772 Old 08-28-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Of course the grills were off (they were bought as living room decor more than anything). My six year old is extremely mature & well behaved and has never done anything like this before. We've received nothing but complements on her manners and kind/sweet nature from her school and other parents. She's like the perfect kid.... which I like to think is the result of a TON of effort on our part as parents.

My three year old can't reach up to the tweeters and the carbon fiber woofers seem pretty robust.

If there are other children playing about, then the covers come on.

I'm way more upset about her behavior (lying) than the monetary value of the speakers.

Anyway, this is not about parenting, but about trying to locate some replacements tweeters.
Wasn't questioning your parenting skills, just thinking if I had these beautiful speakers I wouldn't want anyone to mess with them.

But you said they are more for decor than anything so maybe it was bound to happen eventually.

All you can do is call, hopefully they'll have some.
United States Customers
1-866-428-2122

Afro GT
post #6765 of 6772 Old 08-28-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
Wasn't questioning your parenting skills, just thinking if I had these beautiful speakers I wouldn't want anyone to mess with them.

But you said they are more for decor than anything so maybe it was bound to happen eventually.

All you can do is call, hopefully they'll have some.
United States Customers
1-866-428-2122
Thanks for the number! I thought mirage was out of business, but I don't really follow the audio market anymore....

Anyway, they actually had replacement tweeters for $74 each.
I thought for sure I was going to have to buy parts off ebay or something.

Honestly I thought the design was pretty kid friendly. We have a few expensive things in our living/dinning room that could be destroyed in an instant, but the kids have their own play area downstairs. They know the living room is not a place to go wild. Up until now, it's never been a problem.
post #6766 of 6772 Old 08-28-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post
Sorry to hear that, Steve71. That must be frustrating.

I'm afraid I can't help with your question about buying replacement tweeters, but as a last resort have you considered instead selling them on Craigslist?

I hear you can get a good price for well behaved kids there nowadays.

Sorry. Couldn't resist that opening.

We now return you to our regular programming ...
Hhahhaaa
post #6767 of 6772 Old 08-28-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You could also try contacting Klipsch or Audiovox. Good luck.

http://www.voxxintl.com/brands/klipsch/
post #6768 of 6772 Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Thanks for the number! I thought mirage was out of business, but I don't really follow the audio market anymore....

Anyway, they actually had replacement tweeters for $74 each.
I thought for sure I was going to have to buy parts off ebay or something.

Honestly I thought the design was pretty kid friendly. We have a few expensive things in our living/dinning room that could be destroyed in an instant, but the kids have their own play area downstairs. They know the living room is not a place to go wild. Up until now, it's never been a problem.
A question. How would you describe the sound of these in your space? I have a pair of M-3si speakers with no complaints, but try keeping up with possible successors should they die on me. Omnidirectional vs. bipolar seems an interesting comparison.
post #6769 of 6772 Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
A question. How would you describe the sound of these in your space? I have a pair of M-3si speakers with no complaints, but try keeping up with possible successors should they die on me. Omnidirectional vs. bipolar seems an interesting comparison.
I mainly use these speakers for background music and they do an awesome job of giving even sound in the living room, dinning room, kitchen and loft.

They are non-fatiguing at low-mid volume and the bass is exceptional, but not very extended (in my space). Imaging is somewhat diffuse, but the sound stage is huge.

Now I should explain that my space is not the norm though. These speakers have a huge space to fill (~ 40 x 30ft with 24ft ceiling) so it's understandable that they can't play loud and the bass rolls off in the 30's.

The walls and ceiling also have a lot of natural diffusion.

Here's a pic to give you an idea... pic is old and it doesn't show the speakers. Pic also only shows 1/4 of the space these have to fill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg House.JPG (119.0 KB, 4 views)
post #6770 of 6772 Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluvette View Post
You could also try contacting Klipsch or Audiovox. Good luck.

http://www.voxxintl.com/brands/klipsch/
Thanks. I was able to get new tweeters from the manufacturer.
post #6771 of 6772 Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
I mainly use these speakers for background music and they do an awesome job of giving even sound in the living room, dinning room, kitchen and loft.

They are non-fatiguing at low-mid volume and the bass is exceptional, but not very extended (in my space). Imaging is somewhat diffuse, but the sound stage is huge.

Now I should explain that my space is not the norm though. These speakers have a huge space to fill (~ 40 x 30ft with 24ft ceiling) so it's understandable that they can't play loud and the bass rolls off in the 30's.

The walls and ceiling also have a lot of natural diffusion.

Here's a pic to give you an idea... pic is old and it doesn't show the speakers. Pic also only shows 1/4 of the space these have to fill.
That's a very big space, and too big for the speakers for sure. But as you're using them, they fill the bill and that's what counts. My space is much smaller, 14 x 18.5, 10.5 ceiling, system along the long wall. They should fill my room with no problem. Here's a photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0135.JPG (200.0 KB, 3 views)
post #6772 of 6772 Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
That's a very big space, and too big for the speakers for sure. But as you're using them, they fill the bill and that's what counts. My space is much smaller, 14 x 18.5, 10.5 ceiling, system along the long wall. They should fill my room with no problem. Here's a photo.
You got some nice gear there. Gotta love the McIntosh amps.

Agree, I think the speakers will do better in your space. IMO they are a killer value at $899 a side.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page