post #6871 of 6890 Old 01-13-2015, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post

Doesn't it seem like an OMD-5 could work great for this if we can figure out the angle?
Due to the omnipolar design, I think mounting the omnisat on the ceiling would be the only realistic Atmos option.

Everything I have read so far on these upward firing Atmos options has indicated to go in-ceiling instead or don't bother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6872 of 6890 Old 01-13-2015, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I think mounting some OMD-5s upright tight against the ceiling so that they are facing the opposite wall would work fine for Atmos. Unless you hav a very wide room.

buytme
post #6873 of 6890 Old 01-13-2015, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Due to the omnipolar design, I think mounting the omnisat on the ceiling would be the only realistic Atmos option.

Everything I have read so far on these upward firing Atmos options has indicated to go in-ceiling instead or don't bother.
Agreed. Look for the Audioholics ATMOS speaker tests. The ones aimed at the sealing have been underwhelming to date.
post #6874 of 6890 Old 01-13-2015, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post
I mean for a non in-ceiling setup.

A number of companies have been releasing 'Atmos Enabled' speakers that have an upward (angled) firing speaker on the top meant to reflect the sound off the ceiling. They are meant to be bi-amped and used as your L/R (either front or surrounds) as well as Atmos channels

More notable, some have brought out standalone angled, upward-firing modules that are meant to be used if you don't want to replace your L/R. They can either be placed on top of another speaker or even on the ground. In both cases, it's conceptually quite similar to what Mirage does.

Doesn't it seem like an OMD-5 could work great for this if we can figure out the angle?
Might be difficult to place onto an existing OMD speaker.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #6875 of 6890 Old 01-13-2015, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post
Might be difficult to place onto an existing OMD speaker.
lol
post #6876 of 6890 Old 01-15-2015, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was listening to some classical guitar today on my OMD 15 fronts and was thinking that maybe I should upgrade these along with my OMD C-1 and OMD-5 surrounds. These are connected to a Yamaha RX-V765 receiver. Have any of the posters retired their Mirage OMD-15s? After another post on here and more research today, the Ascent Sierra-2 speakers sounded like a good upgrade. Any thoughts on this from the Mirage owners both present and past?

Thanks
post #6877 of 6890 Old 01-15-2015, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrynKy View Post
I was listening to some classical guitar today on my OMD 15 fronts and was thinking that maybe I should upgrade these along with my OMD C-1 and OMD-5 surrounds. These are connected to a Yamaha RX-V765 receiver. Have any of the posters retired their Mirage OMD-15s? After another post on here and more research today, the Ascent Sierra-2 speakers sounded like a good upgrade. Any thoughts on this from the Mirage owners both present and past?

Thanks
It's really not a fair comparison. One speaker is a floorstander, the other, a bookshelf. Both speakers are also a completely different design. I think the bookshelves will probably image very well, but more than likely, you're soundstage is going to drastically shrink. What's your goal, here? I personally found the OMD-15's to be tiny and hollow sounding. So I upgraded to the 28's and found them to be on a whole different level. Massive soundstage, massive bass, but also very articulate and lifelike. Nothing wrong with going to a well designed bookshelf, if that helps you achieve a specific goal.

post #6878 of 6890 Old 01-17-2015, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The 550's are on sale today only (Amazon) for $75 less/pr than the Polk Monitor 60 II's. Any opinions on which is the better option?
post #6879 of 6890 Old 01-17-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 444
It's probably a completely different sound due to the omnipolar design of the omni 550.
http://electronics.woot.com/offers/o...ref=cnt_wp_0_5

Polk Monitor 60's aren't anything special to me as they can be a little bright sounding.

Is this for a stereo music setup or home theater? If for HT you'll want the matching center too for the Mirage. Polk centers are easy to find.

Afro GT
post #6880 of 6890 Old 01-17-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
It's probably a completely different sound due to the omnipolar design of the omni 550.
http://electronics.woot.com/offers/o...ref=cnt_wp_0_5

Polk Monitor 60's aren't anything special to me as they can be a little bright sounding.

Is this for a stereo music setup or home theater? If for HT you'll want the matching center too for the Mirage. Polk centers are easy to find.
Home theatre; problem is finding a centre. I'm in Canada and the best I can do on the C150 is $170
post #6881 of 6890 Old 01-17-2015, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Mirage available on Woot again. Quite a few models this time. OMD-28 has come down in price too.
post #6882 of 6890 Old 01-19-2015, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Recommendations on a system please

Hi guys,

I just bought some speakers from Woot during the weekend sale. I am replacing a 15 year old PSB Image system and I'm hoping this will be a worthy upgrade. My family room is 15' by 18.25' (the latter is the room depth). I ordered the following and would greatly appreciate your opinions as to:

- Is it "too much" for the room, especially since it's our family room and not a dedicated home theater?
- Will there be a notable difference between a 5.1 vs 7.1 setup for my room.
- which make better surrounds in a 5.1 setup, the OMD-15's or the OMD-5's? If it's the 15's, would you consider the $500 premium for the pair over the OMD-5's worthwhile?

What I got:
2 OMD-28's
1 OMD-C2
2 OMD-15's
2 OMD-5's

Thank you for any help you can offer.
post #6883 of 6890 Old 01-20-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxphillips View Post
Hi guys,

I just bought some speakers from Woot during the weekend sale. I am replacing a 15 year old PSB Image system and I'm hoping this will be a worthy upgrade. My family room is 15' by 18.25' (the latter is the room depth). I ordered the following and would greatly appreciate your opinions as to:

- Is it "too much" for the room, especially since it's our family room and not a dedicated home theater?
- Will there be a notable difference between a 5.1 vs 7.1 setup for my room.
- which make better surrounds in a 5.1 setup, the OMD-15's or the OMD-5's? If it's the 15's, would you consider the $500 premium for the pair over the OMD-5's worthwhile?

What I got:
2 OMD-28's
1 OMD-C2
2 OMD-15's
2 OMD-5's

Thank you for any help you can offer.
That sounds great! While the OMD-15's are probably overkill for surrounds (you don't really need the base extension compared to the 5's) that is what I'm using too. I started out with 15's for front left & right and four 5's for surrounds & rears. Then I got the 28's for the fronts and moved the 15's to surrounds then got OMD-R's for the rears and now have a C2 for the center as well. I think the biggest question is do you have the room for 4 floor standing speakers. If they fit then go for it. I do think 7.1 is worth it over 5.1. I've got four OMD-5's waiting for the day I can upgrade the receiver and go 11.1.
post #6884 of 6890 Old 01-20-2015, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have to totally agree with the above statement. Room was an issue with me, so I replaced the 15's with 5's. I am now running 11.2. Totally awesome! Hope to replace the rears with R's someday.....
post #6885 of 6890 Old 01-23-2015, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Mirage Omni 550 towers

I am interested in Mirage Omni 550 for 99 each. Does it have good detail/resolution? Are they on the laid back or on the bright side? I am considering them mainly for 2 ch music. Does any one know how the omni 550 compare to Energy RC 70 (I owned them for a few weeks). I returned them because I didn't' like the RCs mid-bass emphasis and recessed highs...
post #6886 of 6890 Old 01-24-2015, 06:52 AM

I think I may pick up a pair of Omni 150s for my HT. I'm in the process of upgrading from Energy Take Classics, and I've already picked up Energy RC-10s and an RC-LCR for the front in the last couple of weeks. I've never had the chance to hear Mirages (or any omnipolar speakers for that matter), but I figure for $130 it's not too much of a loss if I'm not impressed. They just seem like a really interesting concept for surrounds, so I'll give it a go and hopefully be happy!
post #6887 of 6890 Unread Yesterday, 08:00 PM

Hello, first I want to say thank you for you guys. I asked here for help on getting a woofer replacement for my OS3 center speaker awhile ago, and you suggest me to call Kilpsch. I have my woofer fixed now.

Now for the question, how much better would the OMD-15 benefit music playback? I currently have the OS3-FS home theater set with HSU STF-2 woofer. My receive is Yamaha RX-A2000. After a few years of using, I found that I play music a lot more than watching movie, and I really enjoy listening to music on my headphone (Sennheiser HD600, Beyerdynamic DT990 and Audio Technica ATH-A900X). I found a guy near my area who are selling a pair of used OMD-15 for $800, so I am thinking about upgrading. Would the improvement worth the price?

Also, why is the OMD-28 so much more expensive than the OMD-15 even used? Is it that much better?
post #6888 of 6890 Unread Today, 07:12 AM

OMD-28 is physically much bigger, weighs twice as much and the woofers use more exotic carbon fiber cones. OMD-28 has two 8" woofers vs. OMD-15 has only one woofer and a passive radiator (If I'm reading the spec sheet correctly).

I personally would want 15's over 5's for mains but there is at least one member here who is not a 15 fan. I would not pay $800 for a used pair since you can get new from Woot for not much more. Their sales come and go but happen with surprising frequency.
post #6889 of 6890 Unread Today, 12:16 PM

Oh wow. That's good to hear. I didn't know those sales exist. I will wait then. Too bad I miss the sale last month. How did Woot obtain those speakers? I remember that Vanns was the only Mirage retailer, and they had a huge discount to clear all stocks when Mirage got bought by Kilpsch, and the new speakers are no longer made.

Also, can someone comment on the sound improvement from OS3 to OMD please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page