Mirage Speakers - Page 231 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
post #6901 of 6923 Old 02-02-2015, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I would like some advice on which speakers to use for my surrounds. I have 2 OMD-5 and was planning on using them for my surrounds but my concern is the positioning. The rear walls are not close to the side walls that the speakers will be mounted to. Plus, one of the walls has a hallway that is about a foot from the speakers. I am wondering how bad this will affect them in trying to deflect the sound.
An alternative speaker I was looking at are the Svsound Prime satellite speaker. This is a direct radiating speaker. It has a 41/2 woofer compared to the OMD-5 51/2.
Do you think I should stick with the OMD-5 or try the Svsound. My front speakers are the Def Tech SM55 and the center is the Def Tech CS8040-HD.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6902 of 6923 Old 02-02-2015, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner23 View Post
Hi, I would like some advice on which speakers to use for my surrounds. I have 2 OMD-5 and was planning on using them for my surrounds but my concern is the positioning. The rear walls are not close to the side walls that the speakers will be mounted to. Plus, one of the walls has a hallway that is about a foot from the speakers. I am wondering how bad this will affect them in trying to deflect the sound.
An alternative speaker I was looking at are the Svsound Prime satellite speaker. This is a direct radiating speaker. It has a 41/2 woofer compared to the OMD-5 51/2.
Do you think I should stick with the OMD-5 or try the Svsound. My front speakers are the Def Tech SM55 and the center is the Def Tech CS8040-HD.

Thanks,
Hi, this response might get a little long winded, but to answer your question, YOU SHOULD MOST CERTAINLY KEEP AND USE THE OMD-5's! The omnipolar design is going to spread around the rear channel mix of a soundtrack soooooo much better than direct radiating speakers. I've used both direct and omnipolar and I greatly prefer the OMD-5's for surround use. There is no comparison! OMD-5's crush a direct radiator for surrounds, I don't care what brand the speaker is. Also, if you look at my HT gallery, which I will post a link to at the end of this response, you'll see that my surrounds are pretty close to the rear wall, a great deal away from the side walls AND, on one side, I have an opening to another room about 1.5-2 feet away from a surround. The only thing I have to do is, using an SPL meter, bump up that surround speaker near the opening, an extra 1.0-1.5 db and it compensates pretty well for whatever sound I lose being close to an opening. Keep in mind, unless you have a dedicated theater room specifically built for HT, it's unlikely your room is going to be acoustically perfect. I think you'll find any decent AVR with room correction will do a fairly good job of compensating for room imperfections, like the one you describe. Don't overthink it too much. And being far from side walls is fine. Being too close is a much bigger problem when it comes to OMD's, IMO. Here is a link to my gallery so you can see what I'm referring to. Pictures of the surrounds are at the bottom of the gallery. http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...r=morbidcorpse

post #6903 of 6923 Old 02-03-2015, 02:22 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post
Hi, this response might get a little long winded, but to answer your question, YOU SHOULD MOST CERTAINLY KEEP AND USE THE OMD-5's! The omnipolar design is going to spread around the rear channel mix of a soundtrack soooooo much better than direct radiating speakers. I've used both direct and omnipolar and I greatly prefer the OMD-5's for surround use. There is no comparison! OMD-5's crush a direct radiator for surrounds, I don't care what brand the speaker is. Also, if you look at my HT gallery, which I will post a link to at the end of this response, you'll see that my surrounds are pretty close to the rear wall, a great deal away from the side walls AND, on one side, I have an opening to another room about 1.5-2 feet away from a surround. The only thing I have to do is, using an SPL meter, bump up that surround speaker near the opening, an extra 1.0-1.5 db and it compensates pretty well for whatever sound I lose being close to an opening. Keep in mind, unless you have a dedicated theater room specifically built for HT, it's unlikely your room is going to be acoustically perfect. I think you'll find any decent AVR with room correction will do a fairly good job of compensating for room imperfections, like the one you describe. Don't overthink it too much. And being far from side walls is fine. Being too close is a much bigger problem when it comes to OMD's, IMO. Here is a link to my gallery so you can see what I'm referring to. Pictures of the surrounds are at the bottom of the gallery. http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...r=morbidcorpse
That's a nice home theater you have. I will go ahead and use the OMD-5.
post #6904 of 6923 Old 02-06-2015, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all, newbie to AVS and this Mirage Thread. I discovered Mirage Speakers back around 2003. They sound so vivid and alive, I've had no desire to replace them with anything else over the past 10+ years. My advice is to use them in a large room well away from walls if possible, and prepare to be amazed. My mains didn't get fully open and holographic until I placed them at least 7 feet from any walls ( Large 22 by 24 foot room here). --- Steve ---

Yamaha RX-V377 AVR
Magnavox DVD/VHS Player
2 Mirage Omni 260 Main Speakers
2 Mirage Omni-FX Surround Speakers
HSU STF-2 Subwoofer
Samsung 25" CRT TV
post #6905 of 6923 Old 02-08-2015, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 398
I want four OS3's for Atmos!

Darn klipsch........
post #6906 of 6923 Old 02-12-2015, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi,

If anyone has or knows where I can find a couple of pairs of OC-65 or OC-55's, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #6907 of 6923 Old 02-13-2015, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthompson View Post
Hi,

If anyone has or knows where I can find a couple of pairs of OC-65 or OC-55's, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Try http://www.hifishark.com/
post #6908 of 6923 Old 02-13-2015, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
No dice but thanks for the site, have never heard of it. I'll keep an eye out there.
post #6909 of 6923 Old 02-13-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
I want four OS3's for Atmos!

Darn klipsch........
The OMD-5s are better speakers and can be had for a song on the Woot!

Klipsch (and its companies) were purchased by Audiovox, which became Voxx International:

http://www.voxxintl.com/brands/.

Just in case you're interested.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #6910 of 6923 Old 02-26-2015, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Mirage OS3 Surround Mounting Height

A friend recently let me borrow some mirage Nanosats to try as surrounds. Very interesting. If I go this route, I'll get the OS3s to XO a bit lower.

It seems to me that in a big open space where direct sound can be diffused, a direct radiating speaker will be perceived as diffuse by the time it hits the listener. In a smaller space, an Omnipolar speaker may create this effect since the direct radiator will be perceived as beaming. Is this a reasonable assessment?

Direct radiating surrounds are supposed to be 1-2' above ear level when seated. Does the same hold true for Mirage omni speakers? Or are they supposed to be mounted closer to ear level when seated if used for surrounds?
post #6911 of 6923 Old 02-26-2015, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyFive54950 View Post
Direct radiating surrounds are supposed to be 1-2' above ear level when seated. Does the same hold true for Mirage omni speakers? Or are they supposed to be mounted closer to ear level when seated if used for surrounds?
IMO the best position is upside down, 8-10 feet high. With their design, they fire forward and upward. So upside down, they fire forward and downward.

Mounting them high also reduces the problem of having people or furniture between listeners and the surrounds.

If you have to mount them near or above ear level, best to tilt them forward so they fire at the listeners, instead of above their heads.
post #6912 of 6923 Old 02-26-2015, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post
IMO the best position is upside down, 8-10 feet high. With their design, they fire forward and upward. So upside down, they fire forward and downward.

Mounting them high also reduces the problem of having people or furniture between listeners and the surrounds.

If you have to mount them near or above ear level, best to tilt them forward so they fire at the listeners, instead of above their heads.
Thanks for the input. Assuming mounting into a ceiling or wall is not possible, what height would they want to be on a stand?
post #6913 of 6923 Old 02-26-2015, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Thanks for the input. Assuming mounting into a ceiling or wall is not possible, what height would they want to be on a stand?
I think the recommendation was to mount upside down when higher than 6 feet. I would keep them high enough so that there is nothing interfering with the path to the listener's ear. They tend to direct sound upwards.

BTW Although my nanosats created a wall of sound around me, it was harder to pin point the surround effects. It depends on your tastes.
post #6914 of 6923 Old 02-26-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
According to the Mirage manual, the height should be, "above ear level, at approximately 2/3 the height of the wall." However, if they're going to sit more than 6 feet above the floor, they need to be mounted upside down. My OMD-5's sit on stands that are 37 inches tall. This height is perfect for me, as when seated, they sit above hear level and spread the sound around well.

post #6915 of 6923 Old 02-26-2015, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Morbid, nice setup. Love the look of mirage speakers. Wish I could hear the 28's. I went with all Martin Logan's. I used to have the 15's, C2, OMDR's. Sold them. I'm using motion 4's for height speakers. You should paint the plastic covers the same color as your wall.
post #6916 of 6923 Old 02-26-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
Morbid, nice setup. Love the look of mirage speakers. Wish I could hear the 28's. I went with all Martin Logan's. I used to have the 15's, C2, OMDR's. Sold them. I'm using motion 4's for height speakers. You should paint the plastic covers the same color as your wall.
Thanks for those very kind words. It's a work in progress. I actually just moved the height speakers further out about a foot on each side so they sit at a 45 degree angle from the listening position, as suggested by audyssey for DSX. I've been meaning to paint the covers, just have other projects that have kept me busy. Also trying to resist the urge to go Atmos before all the dust has settled on specifications.

post #6917 of 6923 Old 03-06-2015, 07:46 AM

Liked: 12
Is anyone here using OMD3's or OMD5's for the upper speakers in an Atmos system? If so, do you have them mounted upside down or right side up so the sound spreads along the ceiling? -John West
post #6918 of 6923 Old 03-06-2015, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by westworld View Post
Is anyone here using OMD3's or OMD5's for the upper speakers in an Atmos system? If so, do you have them mounted upside down or right side up so the sound spreads along the ceiling? -John West

Yes. I am using OMD5 for the overhead speakers in a 7.1.4 setup. I have them mounted upside down per mirage recommendations. I had the right side up originally to try to create more elevation but prefer them upside down.

I will say that if you are going to mount OMD 5 to the ceiling you may want to be sure they are in stud. I had them originally with a drywall anchor and they started to come loose. The 5s are a little heavy if mounted to ceiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6919 of 6923 Old 03-06-2015, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaucom View Post
Yes. I am using OMD5 for the overhead speakers in a 7.1.4 setup. I have them mounted upside down per mirage recommendations. I had the right side up originally to try to create more elevation but prefer them upside down.

I will say that if you are going to mount OMD 5 to the ceiling you may want to be sure they are in stud. I had them originally with a drywall anchor and they started to come loose. The 5s are a little heavy if mounted to ceiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you post some pics of your setup? I am debating the use of Omnicans vs OMD-5s for heights. I am going to wait until more info on DTS:X is available before I drill anything.
post #6920 of 6923 Old 03-06-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Can you post some pics of your setup? I am debating the use of Omnicans vs OMD-5s for heights. I am going to wait until more info on DTS:X is available before I drill anything.
These are pics of his setup. http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...postcount=7180

post #6921 of 6923 Old 03-06-2015, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post
Thanks, those pics were helpful. I'm leaning towards the omnicans.
post #6922 of 6923 Old 03-06-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Thanks, those pics were helpful. I'm leaning towards the omnicans.
You're welcome and I think you can't go wrong with either option. If you do decide to go in-ceiling and sell your OMD-5's, hit me up. I'm possibly looking to add another pair just to have until I eventually jump to 3d sound.

post #6923 of 6923 Unread Today, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 25
How about a pair of Omni 150's ceiling mounted upside down for Atmos? They seem larger than some of the other suggestions but they wouldn't be any larger FWIU than the Def Tech Promonitor 800's I've currently hung on the ceiling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page