Mirage Speakers - Page 232 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #6931 of 6959 Old 04-05-2015, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ooopps.....just noticed mfg. discontinued these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6932 of 6959 Old 04-05-2015, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandman2020 View Post
This is what I use for my OMD-5s. Works perfectly. Teflon ball allows for almost any angle and direction. Most speaker manufacturers suggest 2 feet from the ceiling, and 2 feet from the back walls in a 5.0 type speaker configuration. I have tried that position, but because of the omni-polar throw pattern of the OMD design I tried the putting them directly into the corners, again 2 feet from the ceiling. This seems to produce the most diffuse rear sound field, reflecting equally from two adjacent walls, which to me sounds best.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If I remember correctly, the Mirage manual says specifically not to place the speakers in a corner.

post #6933 of 6959 Old 04-05-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post
If I remember correctly, the Mirage manual says specifically not to place the speakers in a corner.
OMD-5 position suggestions by Mirage can be found here:

http://www.miragespeakers.com/docs/c.../OMD-5_OM.pdfu

Goes to show the importance of room interaction and how that will vary with different rooms using even the same speakers. As in anything, the suggestions by Mirage......are suggestions.

But you are right morbidcorpse, Mirage suggest trying to avoid the corners if at all possible. This is because Mirage believes that there needs to be approx. 2ft of "breathing" room on each side of the speaker. I think though, this more applies more to HT, and not music. Just a guess. Let me explain. In my system I have complete control over L/R balance and volume control over my rears (OMD-5s). I mostly listen to music in 2 channel. However, in the way that I can split the signal path in my system, I use the rears to only add enough ambient volume to barely be noticeable while listening to 2 channel music. I hardly ever watch movies, so side positioning could be better for that. But even with the few movies I've watched the surround sound effect with the OMD-5s in the corners does sounds really good.

In my case of using the OMD-5s in the corners I did add 10" extentions to the threaded post of the omni mounts to get the speakers about 12" from the corner. This also gives me 12" on each side of the speaker to breath. I think this has a lot to do with why they are working in the corners. (see pic below) I have thought about using an even longer extention maybe up to 2ft. The omni mounts are strong enough to do that, but it might just look a little strange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1210260.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	511.7 KB
ID:	649673   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1210259.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	493.1 KB
ID:	649681  
post #6934 of 6959 Old 04-05-2015, 02:31 PM

Oh, and just to be clear about how the extensions are used, the hex coupler screws 1/2 way onto the shaft of the omni mount. Then the threaded shaft also screws into the coupler. The other end of the threaded shaft screws into the OMD-5.
post #6935 of 6959 Old 04-05-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Oh, and just to be clear about how the extensions are used, the hex coupler screws 1/2 way onto the shaft of the omni mount. Then the threaded shaft also screws into the coupler. The other end of the threaded shaft screws into the OMD-5.
Those extensions are pretty ingenious. I've actually been thinking I will have to use something like that when I go to an atmos setup. I don't think ceiling mounting will be possible in my room. BUT the room is just narrow enough that I think if I mounted the 4 height speakers on the wall, as close to the ceiling as possible, but used wall mounts with 2 foot extensions like you were saying, that would get the height speakers high up enough and overhead/far enough away from the wall, to work fairly well for atmos. Nice suggestion! I just hope those type of mounts are strong enough for that application?

post #6936 of 6959 Old 04-05-2015, 04:12 PM

That seems like an idea worth pursuing. The omni mounts

(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

have a rating of 20lbs. The OMD-5s weigh 8lbs. You would be way within limits on the weight.

A couple of other suggestions:

* You might be able to run a small pipe left to right all the way across the listening area from left wall to right wall to mount the speakers to. You could also run the wire inside the pipe to hide it. You could drill a hole into the pipe at the speaker hanging spot for the place for the wire to exit. A pipe this long would sag the middle. But adding a T configuration would give support in the middle. It would look some like this:
^
| Ceiling
|
left wall |__________[]_________________ |__________________[]___________________| right wall
speaker speaker

If you used a 1/2 threaded pipe (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.,) not only would it be cheap, but you could use two pieces of pipe with a threaded T-connector for the middle. Then a short threaded piece say 6" to go to the ceiling from the T-connector. On the ceiling side of this short piece they make flanges with female threads that the short support piece can screw into. This flange piece is usually 2>3in in diameter with 3 holes in it for mounting with screws. It could be easily painted to blend in with your ceiling. Just a idea.

If you Google Millenium Park in Chicago

https://www.google.com/search?q=mill...x%3B1445%3B473

You will see a field in front of the stage with a criss-crossed metal tube array over the field. On this tube array is where the speakers are mounted. Kinda the same principle as what you're trying to achieve
post #6937 of 6959 Old 04-05-2015, 04:20 PM

Pay no attention to my diagram. It got totally screwed up in the transmission. Try again.

|
|
|
left wall=======[]========================[]========= right wall

Last edited by islandman2020; 04-05-2015 at 04:31 PM.
post #6938 of 6959 Old 04-05-2015, 04:26 PM

Ok, I give up. The two square brackets in the double dotted line are the speakers hanging from the pipe. Visually, move the vertical line to the center of the speakers and you will get the idea of the T support for the middle of the rod.
post #6939 of 6959 Old 04-05-2015, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You need to use [code] tags to get it to line up like that

Code:
                                      |
                                      |
                                      |
post #6940 of 6959 Old 04-05-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Ok, I give up. The two square brackets in the double dotted line are the speakers hanging from the pipe. Visually, move the vertical line to the center of the speakers and you will get the idea of the T support for the middle of the rod.
Or I could just go the super easy route and mount the atmos speakers on the wall but use those extensions to get them 2 feet out from the wall. The room is only 14 feet or so deep, so getting the height spears up by the ceiling, but extending two feet out from the wall in the front stage and back stage should work pretty nicely I would think.

post #6941 of 6959 Old 04-05-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaba1337 View Post
You need to use [code] tags to get it to line up like that

Code:
                                      |
                                      |
                                      |
Ok thanks Jaba. But just to be clear, if I had put the vertical line in a bracket like that [|] it would have stayed centered?
post #6942 of 6959 Old 04-06-2015, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Is there much demand for used Mirage speakers? I have five nanosats and an OMD C1 that I'm no longer using. The prices on ebay are all over the place, and it doesn't seem like anyone is bidding on them.
post #6943 of 6959 Old 04-06-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post
Is there much demand for used Mirage speakers? I have five nanosats and an OMD C1 that I'm no longer using. The prices on ebay are all over the place, and it doesn't seem like anyone is bidding on them.
I think there is still a demand, but mostly for the OMD line. Every time that Woot posts the OMDs they usually sell out fairly quickly. There has been some talk directly from Audiovox (owner of Mirage, I think?) that the OMDs may be put back into full production. BTW, I had the nanosats, and the were very superior to the Bose Cubes. Even thought about mounting then in my car at one time, lol
post #6944 of 6959 Old 04-06-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post
Definitely! But Woot crushed the resale value and dampened the demand by offering the OMD line at such low prices. If you want to move your speakers, you're going to have to sell them for substantially cheaper than people could buy them on Woot, I think. The only exception here being the OMD-R's, which woot hasn't sold. Those still fetch very high prices.

post #6945 of 6959 Old 04-11-2015, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hey guys, maybe you can help me out with a question regarding the Omni 150. I need some rears to accompany my Energy RC-70/RC-LCR. I'm debating on the Omni 150 ($140 for a pair at amazon), Fluance XLBP-DW ($200/pr), Fluance AVBP2 ($120/pr), or some matching RC-10's ($200/pr on sale). I'm wondering which will get me the best rear surround effects. The RC-10's are bookshelfs, so obviously they wouldn't give the best lateral dispersion. I was considering them because they'd match. But for surround, that really leaves me with the Omni 150 design, or fluance design.

Any opinions on this? Thanks
post #6946 of 6959 Old 04-11-2015, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent06 View Post
Hey guys, maybe you can help me out with a question regarding the Omni 150. I need some rears to accompany my Energy RC-70/RC-LCR. I'm debating on the Omni 150 ($140 for a pair at amazon), Fluance XLBP-DW ($200/pr), Fluance AVBP2 ($120/pr), or some matching RC-10's ($200/pr on sale). I'm wondering which will get me the best rear surround effects. The RC-10's are bookshelfs, so obviously they wouldn't give the best lateral dispersion. I was considering them because they'd match. But for surround, that really leaves me with the Omni 150 design, or fluance design.

None of those. Get OMD-5's

post #6947 of 6959 Old 04-11-2015, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent06 View Post

It depends. Read this.
post #6948 of 6959 Old 04-11-2015, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
None of those. Get OMD-5's
Thanks, I should've mentioned I'm trying to keep a $200 budget or so lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
It depends. Read this.
I'd read a little on this but not that article. Interesting. I was considering either bipole or direct. Some of the cooler Energy surrounds can switch between di- and bipole, but I haven't been able to find any
post #6949 of 6959 Old 04-11-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
But you are right morbidcorpse, Mirage suggest trying to avoid the corners if at all possible. This is because Mirage believes that there needs to be approx. 2ft of "breathing" room on each side of the speaker. I think though, this more applies more to HT, and not music.
It's really about reflections. Giving the Omni-directional nature of the speakers, they are sending more sound to the sides. If the room is set up in a way that the reflected sound reaches your listening positions - it will muddy the sound. Shorter distances mean more volume in the reflected sound, and often angles that reflect toward the listening position.

Though some may like that for HT, it's more a matter of personal preference than a general truism. I'm not a fan of it, even for HT and certainly not for music.

Allowing more distance from the speaker to a side wall will lessen the volume of the reflection, as well as often making it less likely the sound reflects to the listening positions.
post #6950 of 6959 Old 04-20-2015, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think the speaker terminals of one of my OMD-28 are broken. I noticed the woofer on one speaker was not working. At first, I though that my banana plug had loosen as it seemed to be a little loose even when I tightened the terminal screws, and sometimes the woofer started working if I push the plug in or to the side lightly. I replace the plug with a new one but the issue still persisted. After looking carefully, I noticed a little crack on the wood veneer near the terminals, and, once I removed all the terminal screws, it turned out that the base of female banana plug had a little crack that I manage to completely broke it off when I put the screws back in. (Dang it. ). I also tried bare wire connected to the spade lug slot in the terminals, and also connecting to the middle and the top terminals but also no luck. But the fact that the woofer start working when you applied force to the banana plug, and the fact that the bare wire connection does not work, imply that the connection between the terminals and the drivers is defective. Is there a proper way to check it?

In any case, I just submitted a warrantee claim to Klipsch, so hopefully they will agree to fix it. Though just thinking about a return shipping cost makes me depressed.

Last edited by aerosuffly; 04-21-2015 at 01:52 AM.
post #6951 of 6959 Old 05-10-2015, 05:10 PM

Liked: 11
I had been using 5.1 setup of Energy RC series (70, LCR, 10). When relocating recently, these got lost in transit.

For fronts, I found a pair of M7si on craigslist. Not comparing with my beloved RC-70s, but I am loving the sound of M-7si so far, especially because at new place, my sitting position is only at 10/11' from fronts, so bipolar design works best, i believe.

My area is a looong 13x50ft room, where first 12x12 is sun room, then 13x13ft HT/living room, then dining area, followed by kitchen. Consider four squares of 13x13 placed side-by-side in a length.. My TV+Projector are on long wall (50' wall). Sitting position is across width of 12'. Hard floor, and lot of small angles in entire room-train.

Need advise on purchasing center and surrounds now. I have found below options within my budget.

Center
Option-1) OM-C2, that i believe is a mighty center. will it go well with M7si fronts? Or OM-C3 will be better in this room.
Option-2) Energy C-C1 - i know this is an old line, but were very well-appreciated, placed somewhere between CB line that was brighter/harsher and RC line.

Surround
As i said, sitting position is approx 12' from screen, with back-wall exactly behind couch.
Option-1) Mirage OM-R2s, placed on one side wall, and other on a table. I also see there are OM-RS2... are they different from OM-R2?
Option-2) Energy RC-R or their older version C-R3.
Option-3) Energy RC-30 towers that are lying unused. I know this will be mostly not work, as surrounds will be just 3-4' away from ear, at same height.

thanks a lot in advance...
post #6952 of 6959 Old 05-10-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdori View Post
I had been using 5.1 setup of Energy RC series (70, LCR, 10). When relocating recently, these got lost in transit.

For fronts, I found a pair of M7si on craigslist. Not comparing with my beloved RC-70s, but I am loving the sound of M-7si so far, especially because at new place, my sitting position is only at 10/11' from fronts, so bipolar design works best, i believe.

My area is a looong 13x50ft room, where first 12x12 is sun room, then 13x13ft HT/living room, then dining area, followed by kitchen. Consider four squares of 13x13 placed side-by-side in a length.. My TV+Projector are on long wall (50' wall). Sitting position is across width of 12'. Hard floor, and lot of small angles in entire room-train.

Need advise on purchasing center and surrounds now. I have found below options within my budget.

Center
Option-1) OM-C2, that i believe is a mighty center. will it go well with M7si fronts? Or OM-C3 will be better in this room.
Option-2) Energy C-C1 - i know this is an old line, but were very well-appreciated, placed somewhere between CB line that was brighter/harsher and RC line.

Surround
As i said, sitting position is approx 12' from screen, with back-wall exactly behind couch.
Option-1) Mirage OM-R2s, placed on one side wall, and other on a table. I also see there are OM-RS2... are they different from OM-R2?
Option-2) Energy RC-R or their older version C-R3.
Option-3) Energy RC-30 towers that are lying unused. I know this will be mostly not work, as surrounds will be just 3-4' away from ear, at same height.

thanks a lot in advance...
Congrats on your M7's. I owned the M-790 that were about the same driver configuration. I loved the way they sounded and I miss them. As far as your questions go, what's your budget? If you can afford it, I would go with an OMD-C2 center. Another member here is selling his for a steal currently. I used an OMD-C2 with my m-790's and thought they blended better than when I used the M-series flagship center, the MC-Si. For surrounds, nothing wrong with.om-r2's, if you can find them in good working order. But I would say go with the OMD-5's. They have a smaller footprint and are fantastic surrounds for $300.

post #6953 of 6959 Old 05-10-2015, 06:52 PM

Liked: 11
Who's selling OM-C2?

Quote:
Congrats on your M7's. I owned the M-790 that were about the same driver configuration. I loved the way they sounded and I miss them. As far as your questions go, what's your budget? If you can afford it, I would go with an OMD-C2 center. Another member here is selling his for a steal currently. I used an OMD-C2 with my m-790's and thought they blended better than when I used the M-series flagship center, the MC-Si. For surrounds, nothing wrong with.om-r2's, if you can find them in good working order. But I would say go with the OMD-5's. They have a smaller footprint and are fantastic surrounds for $300.
Can you please let me know name of member selling OM-C2?
post #6954 of 6959 Old 05-10-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdori View Post
Can you please let me know name of member selling OM-C2?
Scroll down to see the lowest price
http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/t...-speakers-sale

post #6955 of 6959 Old 05-24-2015, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up Omni a pair 260 Lf 150 and FX surrounds from Craig's list need a center any suggestions ???
post #6956 of 6959 Old 06-14-2015, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Omnisat Omnipolar and Atmos?

I am thinking of picking up some Omnisat speakers to mount as height channels for Atmos/Auro 3D/DTS-X. How would they do in that application? Should I ceiling mount? Thanks
murphy_5 likes this.
post #6957 of 6959 Old 06-25-2015, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Does anyone know the difference between the OM-C2 and OM-C2-1?
post #6958 of 6959 Old Today, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/mon...ngdon-valle-pa
Cut and paste this link for a description of OM-C2-1, nothing like the OMD C2
post #6959 of 6959 Old Today, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post
Does anyone know the difference between the OM-C2 and OM-C2-1?
The "-1" is just a typo, IMO.

Note that the OMD-C2 (newer) and OM-C2 (older, circa 2000) are very different speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers