Mirage Speakers - Page 233 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #6961 of 6971 Old 07-11-2015, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosuffly View Post
Does anyone here have an experience driving OMD-28 with Emotiva XPA-1 or XPA-2, or the NAD Master Series? I am considering a new amplifier (and maybe a preprocessor) because I have been using Yamaha RX-A2000, and it did not do the justice. Also, I need something with built-in voltage switches for 220V as I will be moving to Asia or Europe within a year (with all my gears shipped by sea). I like the idea of a class D amps because of how efficient they are but not sure if they have enough juice. The NAD M25, for example, is quoted 220 watts at 8Ω, 385 watts at 4Ω, and 485 watts at 2Ω, with all 7 channels simultaneously driven. It is essentially seven monoblocks inside a chassis.

For the XPA, I wonder if I should go with a pair of XPA-1 or an XPA-2 first? The XPA-2 also has a monoblock mode, so I can always get another XPA-2 and use them as monoblocks. My current room is ~12'x15'x9', and I am sitting about 10' from the speakers. I will probably leave in the same size apartment after moving.

--
Also, I did get my OMD-28 fixed by an Freeman-Tuell Speaker Service in Texas. They are Mirage authorized repair center. It turns out the terminals are busted inside, and because they are attached to the cabinet when the built the speaker before putting everything inside, there is practically no space to reach to the terminals from the inside. They had to invent some kind of tools to take the terminal out and replace it.
I have an xpa-2 amp and omd28 speakers they work fine together in my 20'x18'x7' room my ears would give out before the amp or speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6962 of 6971 Old 07-12-2015, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkalot2 View Post
I have an xpa-2 amp and omd28 speakers they work fine together in my 20'x18'x7' room my ears would give out before the amp or speakers.
Is the XPA-2 your first amp for the OMD-28? Can you comment on the sound quality? Also, do you still need a sub with properly driven OMD-28?
post #6963 of 6971 Old 07-12-2015, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 58
When I had my OMD-28's I used (2) Emotiva XPA-1 monoblocks, plenty of power. For 2 channel music you do not need a sub, for home theater that is a different story.
post #6964 of 6971 Old 07-12-2015, 04:31 PM

Thanks for all comments. I found this old post on Emotive lounge detailing the power draw of OMD-28. Based on this an all the comments here, I think I will try to get a pair of used XPA-1s.

How about the OMD-C2? Would something like an XPA-3 (200 watts at 8 ohm, 330 watts at 4 ohm) be able to drive the C2 and 2 surround speakers fine?

Which leads to another question ... (sorry, I really have to many questions.) Currently, I am using a pair of OS3-FS as my surround speakers. They are from the OS3 home theater set that I used before I upgraded the two front and the center speakers to OMD-28s and OMD-C2. I still own the two OS3-Sat and OS3-CC, but they just sit in a cabinet collecting dust. I am thinking of replacing the OS3-FSs with a pair OMD-5 and sell my 5 pieces OS3 set. Will the OMD-5s work better as surround speakers for OMD-28 and OMD-C2?
post #6965 of 6971 Old 07-12-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Thanks for all comments. I found this old post on Emotive lounge detailing the power draw of OMD-28. Based on this an all the comments here, I think I will try to get a pair of used XPA-1s.

How about the OMD-C2? Would something like an XPA-3 (200 watts at 8 ohm, 330 watts at 4 ohm) be able to drive the C2 and 2 surround speakers fine?

Which leads to another question ... (sorry, I really have to many questions.) Currently, I am using a pair of OS3-FS as my surround speakers. They are from the OS3 home theater set that I used before I upgraded the two front and the center speakers to OMD-28s and OMD-C2. I still own the two OS3-Sat and OS3-CC, but they just sit in a cabinet collecting dust. I am thinking of replacing the OS3-FSs with a pair OMD-5 and sell my 5 pieces OS3 set. Will the OMD-5s work better as surround speakers for OMD-28 and OMD-C2?
I used the XPA-3 to drive my C2 and surrounds, no problem. Went to the XPA-5 when I went with 4 OMD-5 surrounds and the C2, still not a problem. As for the surrounds you can use the OS3, surround duty is much less demanding.
post #6966 of 6971 Old 07-12-2015, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

I was one of the posters in that Emotiva thread. Not long after that I got a pair of the OMD-28's and a pair of XPA-1L's myself. The OMD-28's love a lot of power; the XPA-1's drove them just fine. I also had a C2 center that I connected to an XPA-3. That was fine for the C2; I don't think you need anything else.

I used a sub with the OMD-28's mainly because the location in the room was lousy for bass due to the nodes. The speakers go very deep so in the right location you wouldn't need a sub for music but I'd recommend one for HT use. If you run the OMD-28's at full range most definitely they would appreciate something like the XPA-1L's. They make the LED meter lights on the front dance a lot.
post #6967 of 6971 Old 07-13-2015, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I used 4 OMD-5's as surrounds for awhile with OMD-28. Currently using 2 OMD-15's and 2 OMD-R's. When I get a 9 or 11 channel pre-pro I'll bring at least 2 OMD-5's back as high or wide. I'm using a Parasound HCA-2200 II to power the 28's, 220 watts into 8 ohms. 385 into 4 ohms, 90 amp peak current capacity, 60 lbs. It drives the 28's effortlessly.
post #6968 of 6971 Old 07-14-2015, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice to see a little activity on this thread.

I use the omd-5's for surrounds (powered from receiver), along with my 28's and c2 (powered by pair of xpa-1 and xpa-100). It's a thing of beauty.

For you guys rocking the 28's with the xpa-1. You mention you don't need a sub for music. Do you actually get the punch of bass when it hits? Or more so that you can hear it is getting that low?

When i run them as 'Full' sized i am not getting the punch of bass like i would expect from this set up. I hear it is getting that low, but i am not impressed with the impact. Perhaps my placement? Im only a foot off wall, and i am using the little isolation feet (the metal things screwed into the bottom).

I find myself setting the size back to Small with frequency cutoff at 80 hz so the sub rejoins the party. (or sometimes i hook up my xpa-2 in mono mode to a pair of 10" MTX's that i used to have in my car for a real punch)
post #6969 of 6971 Old 07-14-2015, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jisleyjr View Post
Nice to see a little activity on this thread.

I use the omd-5's for surrounds (powered from receiver), along with my 28's and c2 (powered by pair of xpa-1 and xpa-100). It's a thing of beauty.

For you guys rocking the 28's with the xpa-1. You mention you don't need a sub for music. Do you actually get the punch of bass when it hits? Or more so that you can hear it is getting that low?

When i run them as 'Full' sized i am not getting the punch of bass like i would expect from this set up. I hear it is getting that low, but i am not impressed with the impact. Perhaps my placement? Im only a foot off wall, and i am using the little isolation feet (the metal things screwed into the bottom).

I find myself setting the size back to Small with frequency cutoff at 80 hz so the sub rejoins the party. (or sometimes i hook up my xpa-2 in mono mode to a pair of 10" MTX's that i used to have in my car for a real punch)
My two cents - it doesn't surprise me that you aren't getting that "punch" you desire. Unless your 28's are placed in a location in your room that is also optimal for bass, you will not be taking full advantage of their dual 8" woofers. That is what happened when I owned them, which is why I used a separate sub even though I was driving mine with a pair of Emotiva XPA-1's. The location just was not a good one for bass frequencies.

Also, I would advise trying to move your 28's further away from the wall. 1 foot is pretty close and I would see how they sound taking them out a few feet further.
post #6970 of 6971 Old 07-23-2015, 02:39 PM

I ended up buying an XPA-2 and XPA-3 to drive my Mirage, and a pair of OMD-R to replacement the OS3-FS as a surround. I could not afford a pair of new XPA-1 and did not find any used offering. But wow, they still sound so much better than my AVR. The clarity and dynamic are so much better, and those bass, wow.

Now, I am trying to find a better placement for the speakers. My room is very bad, and I do not think I can do much about it. I live in a tiny apartment, so I my couch have to be place on the back wall. The left wall is close but have a big glass windows covering half of the wall. The right wall is half open on the back wall side with a doorway opening on the back wall. The front speakers are place symmetrically from the front and the side wall, and the surrounds are put on the side of a couch at equal distances. But because there is no sidewall on the right, couple with a glass windows on the left, I ended up with too much reflection from the left and too little from the right. You can tell because the imaging is more thin on the left. Is there anything I can do like tilting or rotating the speakers, or using a room divider?
post #6971 of 6971 Old 07-23-2015, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
I ended up buying an XPA-2 and XPA-3 to drive my Mirage, and a pair of OMD-R to replacement the OS3-FS as a surround. I could not afford a pair of new XPA-1 and did not find any used offering. But wow, they still sound so much better than my AVR. The clarity and dynamic are so much better, and those bass, wow.

Now, I am trying to find a better placement for the speakers. My room is very bad, and I do not think I can do much about it. I live in a tiny apartment, so I my couch have to be place on the back wall. The left wall is close but have a big glass windows covering half of the wall. The right wall is half open on the back wall side with a doorway opening on the back wall. The front speakers are place symmetrically from the front and the side wall, and the surrounds are put on the side of a couch at equal distances. But because there is no sidewall on the right, couple with a glass windows on the left, I ended up with too much reflection from the left and too little from the right. You can tell because the imaging is more thin on the left. Is there anything I can do like tilting or rotating the speakers, or using a room divider?
Holy crap, you placed ALL that gear into a tiny apartment? Your neighbors must despise you? I had a similar problem as you in my room. The right side is closer to the side wall than the left side. Plus, on the left side, the speaker faces a large opening on the left of the back wall. So, the side wall was supporting the right speaker, but the opening on the left side was draining the left speaker simultaneously. So, I added a second sub to support low end on the left side of the soundstage (placed right next to the front left speaker) and this dramatically improved the bass and overall *fullness* of the sound in the room. Not perfect, but getting better and better. My room really needs acoustic treatments. It's an acoustical nightmare. Try adding a second sub and see what happens.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page