14Likes

post #811 of 6853 Old 10-04-2008, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFR View Post

I've been trying to reach the Mirage website to read up on the Nanosats and Omnisats, but I keep getting time outs. Funny, because I've tried several times over the last couple of weeks with no luck.

Try this one:

http://www.miragespeakers.ca/v2/products.php

I think, therefore I am single.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 6853 Old 10-05-2008, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by PannyMann View Post

Try this one:

http://www.miragespeakers.ca/v2/products.php

That's the old web site. None of the new line is on it, like

The new OS³-Sat Omnisats:
http://www.miragespeakers.com/na-en/...-sat-overview/

Or the new OS³-CC Center Channel:
http://www.miragespeakers.com/na-en/...s-cc-overview/

And here's the Mirage forums:
http://community.miragespeakers.com/forums/

Seth-o-Plex featuring Atmos 7.2.4! - LG | Onkyo | Mirage | SVS
post #813 of 6853 Old 10-05-2008, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I was able to reach the site tonight no problems, so I don't know what was up yesterday.

I'm leaning toward the Nanosat Prestige Rosewood with the stands for surrounds. A local dealer carries the Nanosats and I'm hoping he'll let me take a pair home to try in my apartment.
post #814 of 6853 Old 10-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclark View Post

Dr.S: Is that OS3CC supposed to be better than the v2cc or is it just the new replacement model?

I believe they are supposed to be comparable, but they do have the added features as described before. (updated driver, ribbed elipticals, increased cabinet volume)

I just put it into my system last night along with the V2 floorstanders. Still in awe of how coherent the front soundstage has become in comparison to the 3 Omnisats! The biggest improvement came from the CC, so much wider in it's sound. Still running the Audyssey setup from the previous speakers and it still sounds great. Can't wait to ge some time to tweak!
post #815 of 6853 Old 10-10-2008, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 64
A lot of the OMD stuff is back in stock at Vanns - which blows my theory that they were just clearing out their own stock.
post #816 of 6853 Old 10-11-2008, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

My Mirage/Klipsch rep was just in on Thursday and the OMD series is officially discontinued, thus the good deals going on right now. When they are gone, they are gone. There is no plan to replace OMD.

"What's better? A great 2D movie or the worst 3D movie?" - Stephen Colbert
post #817 of 6853 Old 10-11-2008, 10:43 AM

post #818 of 6853 Old 10-11-2008, 11:58 AM

I know the OMD-C1 is supposed to be the matched center to the 15's, but what are your thoughts on using a C2 with 15's in a large room? I am thinking it might better anchor the dialog to the screen.
post #819 of 6853 Old 10-11-2008, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletHead View Post

on sale. good deal?
http://www.vanns.com/sitesearch/search?q=mirage+om

Excellent deals.
I have the Omnisat v2 floorstanders and cc in a second system; they're VERY nice (even with less than perfect placement).
I have Energy RC-70 mains in my main system, and I'm really very happy with them.
But at the price of the OMD-28's now, I really came very close to grabbing a pair.
Decided that with the economy the way it is right now, I'm holding on to my money.
post #820 of 6853 Old 10-11-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksmyname View Post

Excellent deals.
I have the Omnisat v2 floorstanders and cc in a second system; they're VERY nice (even with less than perfect placement).
I have Energy RC-70 mains in my main system, and I'm really very happy with them.
But at the price of the OMD-28's now, I really came very close to grabbing a pair.
Decided that with the economy the way it is right now, I'm holding on to my money.

When the OMD-28s get back in stocl, I'm just going to HAVE to pull the trigger. I've been thinking it over since the sale started and I've come to the realization (justification) that there are certain purchases that will never be within your reach outside of exceptional curcomstance. Well I'll going to have to stretch it a bit but, I'll be really sorry for a long time if I let this pass by.

post #821 of 6853 Old 10-12-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdokc View Post

I know the OMD-C1 is supposed to be the matched center to the 15's, but what are your thoughts on using a C2 with 15's in a large room? I am thinking it might better anchor the dialog to the screen.

I have had the OMD-C1 for about a week now and also have owned the OM-C2. I feel that the OMD-C1 does a great job with placing the dialogue to the screen. Over the week the C1 has been really opening up and the detail is amazing. I have it matched with OM-7's and I also just bought two pairs of OMD-5 for surrounds for a complete 7.2 set up (two Omni S10s). I was pleasantly surprised to hear a nice match with the OM-7s and the OMD-C1. The front three channels blend very well and there really seems to be no gaps in tonal balance. I think you would be happy with either one. If you already own a OM-C2 I think it should sound great with the OMD-15s but if you don't, getting the OMD-C1 at the current price brand new may be a nice way to go instead of trying to find a used OM-C2.
post #822 of 6853 Old 10-12-2008, 01:18 PM

Thanks Pratts. That is exactly the sort fo feedback I was looking for.

The current sale prices on the OMD line are hard to pass up. But I still wouldn't mind saving $500 by getting the C1 vs the C2. That would pay for a couple of surround speakers.
post #823 of 6853 Old 10-12-2008, 01:47 PM

I have a similar question regarding surround and rear speakers in a system based on OMD-15's.

All the OMD-15 based HT systems I have seen use / recommend OMD 5's as the reasr channel speakers. The OMD-R's are targeted for use with OMD 28 based systems.

Are there any real advantages to using the OMD-R's in a mid-level system like the OMD 15 and C1 systems? Other than significantly larger than the 5's, they are also quite a bit more expensive. I could have a 7.1 system wih OMD5's for the same price of a 5.1 system using OMD-R's.

I am pretty sold on the OMD15's at the current prices available. I'm sure the 28's are even better, but I've listened to the 15 and like them quite a bit. The Omnipolar design will work well in my large open living room and I am trying to finalize my purchase plans.

Thanks again for any input.
post #824 of 6853 Old 10-12-2008, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1074721

hey guys I've never heard any Mirage speakers and don't know much about them but can you take a quick look at the thread I just made and let me know if the Omnisat v2 surrounds would be a good choice for my room and setup?

stinks that the v2 don't come in shiny black. are there any other brands of surrounds that aren't direct radiating this size w/ 4.5" woofers that come in shiny black?

thanks!
post #825 of 6853 Old 10-13-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdokc View Post

Thanks Pratts. That is exactly the sort fo feedback I was looking for.

The current sale prices on the OMD line are hard to pass up. But I still wouldn't mind saving $500 by getting the C1 vs the C2. That would pay for a couple of surround speakers.

dwdokc, if you are pretty settled on getting the 15s I think you couldn't go wrong with the C1 and 4 of the 5s for surrounds. I think that this would be an amazing set up and you can get all that at such a bargin. The C1 has been getting better each day I listen to it. Mirage recommends 100 hours of break in and I can see why. I am really beginning to enjoy this set up and I would also give a very strong recommendation to the OMD-5s for surrounds. I have had at some point all of the versions of the Omnisats, OM-R2, and others for surrounds and I feel that the 5s are easily the best, aside from a full range tower and even that is very close. They are very detailed yet smooth with all the weight and body I need in a musical speaker. I have been a Mirage fan for years and can say that this line, although not popular with the masses, is their best since the M series. They can easily fill you surround needs. Save the extra money and use it elsewhere, maybe a top line sub IMO.
post #826 of 6853 Old 10-13-2008, 09:17 AM

I would like to get a recommendation on which type of system I should buy. The choices are between having two OMD 15 as the left and right fronts or having two V2FS and the V2CC, both systems will have the Omni S10 sub. I mainly will use it for television and movies. The layout of my family room does not allow me to have speakers in the back. Also, the fronts will be about six feet apart.
With the fronts not that far apart, will this making going without a center speaker easier ? As for the center speaker, if I go that route, I can place it either in front of the television, ( with this type of speaker does it need to be a certain distance from the tv. ?) or on a shelf that is about 8 inches below that point. It would be in cabinet, I am not sure with these speakers
pointing upwards if that would be a good idea.
I haven't be able to listen to these speakers, the store only carries the Nanosats, and I like the sound of them and the design of them to make the sound stage larger.

Thanks for your help.
post #827 of 6853 Old 10-13-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner23 View Post

I would like to get a recommendation on which type of system I should buy. The choices are between having two OMD 15 as the left and right fronts or having two V2FS and the V2CC, both systems will have the Omni S10 sub. I mainly will use it for television and movies. The layout of my family room does not allow me to have speakers in the back. Also, the fronts will be about six feet apart.
With the fronts not that far apart, will this making going without a center speaker easier ? As for the center speaker, if I go that route, I can place it either in front of the television, ( with this type of speaker does it need to be a certain distance from the tv. ?) or on a shelf that is about 8 inches below that point. It would be in cabinet, I am not sure with these speakers
pointing upwards if that would be a good idea.
I haven't be able to listen to these speakers, the store only carries the Nanosats, and I like the sound of them and the design of them to make the sound stage larger.

Thanks for your help.

Banner23, If I were in your shoes I would go with the OMD-15s (if you have the needed space) for several reasons. 1st, they are a much better speaker flat out. They sound like a true FS speaker should where the V2 will not (better base and tonal balance). 2nd, The 15s in a 2 channel set up will be amazing for movies, TV, and music. Thrid, if you ever move to a larger listening area you will have a speaker that will make the move very well. They will only sound better. The v2 FS is a thin, flat sounding speaker compared to the full bodied sound of the 15s. I have heard both and the V2FS is not even as good as the OMD-5, especially when the 5s are paired with a good sub like the S10. You could also consider the 5s as they can be mounted and take up even less space and are less sensitive to placement. Back to the 15s, the only problem with the 15s may be the lack of space to place them (distance from rear and side walls). Mirage speakers need some space around them so if you don't have it they may not sound their best. What is your distance from rar and side walls? As for the V2cc I have owned it and it is an average center speaker at best and I usually love Mirage products. If you do go with the V2FS I would still go two channel and drop the cc. Hope this helps.
post #828 of 6853 Old 10-13-2008, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
nevermind. just pulled the trigger on nanosat prestige from ebay for $190.33 for the pair with the microsoft 30% cash back!
post #829 of 6853 Old 10-13-2008, 07:23 PM

Pratt91, I have about two feet from the rear and about four feet from the side walls. I looked at the OMD 5, would speakers that small sound better than the v2fs ?
post #830 of 6853 Old 10-13-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner23 View Post

Pratt91, I have about two feet from the rear and about four feet from the side walls. I looked at the OMD 5, would speakers that small sound better than the v2fs ?

Banner23, In my experience with placement for Mirage speakers you should have enough room for the 15s. IMO the OMD-5 is much better than the V2 FS but that is to my ear. I prefer a more smooth and lush sound with good detail which is what I hear from the 5s. The specs show that they extend to 60Hz on the low end which is not as low as the V2 fs, but you will be using a sub anyway. The driver on the 5s is a 5 1/2" which is bigger than the the 4 1/2 of the V2 and IMO the mids and highs are much sweeter and more detailed with the 5s. There is review of the 5s in Home Theater Sound in which the reviewer says the 5s are better than his Omni 260s which is an excellent older FS mirage speaker. I was close to buying the V2 fs a couple of years ago but I just didn't feel they sounded much better than the V2 Omnisat. The 5s on the other had are MUCH better than all the Omnisats and I have owned and listened to them all. They have a more full and dynamic sound. The detail is easy to hear and sounds just have more solid placement. I have two pairs of the 5s for surrounds and can say that, when combined with a nice sub, easily makes an excellent 5.1 set up. The price on the 5s make them a complete steal when compared to the Omnisats and that includes the FS IMO.

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...restiges10.htm
post #831 of 6853 Old 10-13-2008, 08:15 PM

Pratt91, thanks for your replies. About the 5's, if I went with them for my two fronts do you think I should get another one for the center ? If I did get one for my center, I don't know where I could put it, there is about 7" from the bottom of my television to the stand, so the speaker would be in the picture. I have a shelf that's below that but the speaker would be in a enclosed area and I don't think that would be good.
post #832 of 6853 Old 10-14-2008, 05:44 PM

Banner23, IMO, I would think since you will not have surround speakers you should run basically everything in 2 channel so no center is needed. The 5s will put up a real nice soundstage in 2 channel stereo and you already have a nice sub to pair with it.
post #833 of 6853 Old 10-15-2008, 01:50 PM

I currently have a 7.1 system comprised of M5 fronts, Omni 350 rears, Omni 150 sides, Omni C150 center, Omni S10 sub driven by a Denon 2807.

I saw the OMD series is on sale now and was wondering if I would benefit from swapping the Omni 350, 150 and C150 for OMD5's and an OMD-C1.

How much better are the OMD5's than the older 150? 350? The 350 has 2 5" drivers while the OMD5 has only 1. The OMD's are supposed to be great and the black gloss finish would match my M5's.
post #834 of 6853 Old 10-15-2008, 10:50 PM

I am not familiar with Mirage and am curious how they sound. I currently have and like Paridigm Titan V2, but need to make the system surround. I was looking at HDT-WM7 (L & R), OMDC1 center and Omnican 6 for the rear. This would hook to my Pio Elite 84 and HSU vtf mk3 sub. My room is open & 2 stories. Just curious on others opinion of if this is a good setup. Thanks.
post #835 of 6853 Old 10-16-2008, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarQuad View Post

I currently have a 7.1 system comprised of M5si fronts, Omni 350 rears, Omni 150 sides, Omni C150 center, Omni S10 sub driven by a Denon 2807.

I saw the OMD series is on sale now and was wondering if I would benefit from swapping the Omni 350, 150 and C150 for OMD5's and an OMD-C1.

How much better are the OMD5's than the older 150? 350? The 350 has 2 5" drivers while the OMD5 has only 1. The OMD's are supposed to be great and the black gloss finish would match my M5si's.

The OMD series is much better than the most recent Omni series. The Omni x50 series was sort of a budget line; the OMD series was their top end line. (The Omnisat fit in between those two.) Whether it's worth the money to you, hard to say. Especially since you're really just using them for surround duty, other than the center.

Read post 830, a few above yours, where Pratts91 has this hometheatersound.com link.

The only question is whether you / your room needs the bass output of the 350s. The Omni 350s and the OMD5s both have about the same power handling and sensitivity, so in theory they have the same overall sound output capability.

If you're really not sure you could buy the center and maybe a pair of OMD5s and give it a listen. I would at least give it a try, if you really like your M5s. The center seems like a pretty sure bet if you're keeping the M5s.
post #836 of 6853 Old 10-16-2008, 10:10 AM

I have had my S8 since Feb or so. It was working fine, never had a problem, same set up from the start. Now when I am watching TV, the S8 gets really loud and abnormally bassy for no reason. I even unhook the subwoofer cable and it still humms loud. Another wierd thing is that when I take off the grill it stops, but when I put it back on it starts again. Any help would be appreciated.
post #837 of 6853 Old 10-17-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

The OMD series is much better than the most recent Omni series. The Omni x50 series was sort of a budget line; the OMD series was their top end line. (The Omnisat fit in between those two.) Whether it's worth the money to you, hard to say. Especially since you're really just using them for surround duty, other than the center.

Read post 830, a few above yours, where Pratts91 has this hometheatersound.com link.

The only question is whether you / your room needs the bass output of the 350s. The Omni 350s and the OMD5s both have about the same power handling and sensitivity, so in theory they have the same overall sound output capability.

If you're really not sure you could buy the center and maybe a pair of OMD5s and give it a listen. I would at least give it a try, if you really like your M5s. The center seems like a pretty sure bet if you're keeping the M5s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarQuad View Post

I currently have a 7.1 system comprised of M5 fronts, Omni 350 rears, Omni 150 sides, Omni C150 center, Omni S10 sub driven by a Denon 2807.

How much better are the OMD5's than the older 150? 350? The 350 has 2 5" drivers while the OMD5 has only 1. The OMD's are supposed to be great and the black gloss finish would match my M5's.

I would agree with buzzy. The OMDs would be a better match to the M5si. The older omni series were more bright in tone in comparison to your M series. The OMDs will be slightly cleaner (more detail) but equally smooth as the Ms but not as laid back. I would look at two options. First get yourself the OMD5 and OMD-c1 or use the money to get an external power amp for the M5sis. Those speakers would sound so much better with a good power amp driving them vs the Denon. You are only scratching the surface with what they can put out performance wise. If you can afford to do both then you would have a top line setup for years to come. Good luck.
post #838 of 6853 Old 10-17-2008, 08:26 AM

After hearing about the good reviews of the OMD 5 speakers I was thinking about using them for my fronts. Instead of buying a stand for them I was thinking about placing them on my tv stand, the stand is 19 " from the floor. I know this is not the normal height for fronts, but would this be okay for these speakers ? The design of these speakers look like they cause the sound to fire upward, is this the case ? If so this shouldn't be a problem for there low position ?

Thanks
post #839 of 6853 Old 10-17-2008, 08:33 AM

Could some one measure the height of this speaker with out it's grill on.
I have a clearance of 7 " from the bottom of my tv to the stand that my tv is on. Can this speaker be adjusted when it's on it's holder to aim either higher or lower ? and one last question about it, can it be placed in an enclosed cabinet and still sound good ?

Thanks
post #840 of 6853 Old 10-17-2008, 02:18 PM

Not having any fun today guys. Ordered my OMD-28s Tuesday. One got here Thursday and the other one today (Friday). Moved the OMD-15s to the sides (350s in the back).

Ran setup and as soon as it sent the tones to the right front, it immediately sounded "sick". Dull sound, not nearly as sharp as the left one. Upon commpetion, I listened to some music, watched a little 'Dream Girls" in HD off the cable (5.1) and I'm getting little to no detail and the treble sounds "shrill" for lack of a better description. Checked setup on the receiver and sure enough, it had set the level on the right one 11db higher than the left. A sick speaker at a higher volume is still a sick sounding speaker.

Short of it is Vann's is having UPS come and pick up this puppy today or Monday which I suspect is going to be Monday since the truck aready went by once. Maybe he'll come back when the truck is empty. Replacement will be sent when they receive the ill one.

Dang it, and they are so PURDY !

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page