post #901 of 6842 Old 11-04-2008, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PannyMann View Post

Congratulations Alex !!! I am really really hoping they work out for you. Although my placement is not ideal, I'm really enjoying them. THe OMD-C2 has turned out to be nice as well. When are they due for delivery ??

They are due Nov 10. I won't be able to set them up until the weekend. Give another week or so for burn-in and we are talking at least two weeks. I am hoping they will work out in my current home. If they sound good but not perfect, I will keep them. I will be moving to a new house in a year or two and a better setup will sure improve their sound.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 6842 Old 11-04-2008, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet View Post

Just ordered 5 OMD5's for my living room HT setup. One of the e-tailers dropped the price another $50 bucks on the gloss black model. They are OOS but I can wait. I've waited almost a year to buy these speakers so what's a few more weeks.

Now I just need to get that Hsu sub!

Congratulations! Good thing happen for those who wait!

post #903 of 6842 Old 11-05-2008, 05:31 AM
b4z
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
which etailer dropped the price?
post #904 of 6842 Old 11-05-2008, 05:35 AM
b4z
Advanced Member

Which sub is better the Prestige S10 or the S10?
or should I go with a tighter sounding sealed sub?
post #905 of 6842 Old 11-05-2008, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Omnisat V2 CC or OS3 CC?

Good afternoon Mirage owners,
Over the past year I have been slowly piecing together a home theater system. I've added the Omnisat V2FS's for the fronts, then upgraded my receiver to a Yammy RX-V1800, and most recently added a SVS PB-12 for the low end. I'm getting close to finally adding a center channel, and had my eye on the Omnisat V2CC, which is perfect for the V2FS's. However, with the release of the OS3's, would it be better to add a OS3 CC or stick with the V2CC? Has anyone had any experiences with the OS3's yet? With the great deals on the V2's out there it's hard to pass up. Would I notice a substantial difference between the V2CC and the OS3? As always, thank you for your advice and input!
post #906 of 6842 Old 11-05-2008, 10:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post

which etailer dropped the price?

It was Crutchfield and they went $30 below the Vann's price. OneCall also has a run on Mirage speakers. I was bouncing back and forth between the three sites for the past few days checking prices. I guess it was karma because I went to pull the trigger at Vann's but the online ordering system wouldn't let me order 5 at one time. I even called and the rep said I would have to do five seperate orders even over the phone to get all 5 speakers. It wasn't until later that I jumped over to Crutchfield and saw the latest $50 drop in price...I didn't wait to pull the trigger!

As far as the sub, most of the forum would steer you towards something like an Hsu or Velodyne model. I plan to pick up an Hsu. If you must however, I'd think the Prestige S10 would be fine.

Wishlist - Emotiva amp, 2nd SVS sub, Panamax PC/SP...well, there is more!
post #907 of 6842 Old 11-05-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 64
seaners, the v1 to v2 changes were not dramatic, and no one seems to think the v2 to v3 changes are substantial, except in the cosmetics. Unless money is no object, the v2 seems the way to go, especially since you have some v2 already that you plan to keep.

You will like having a center, btw.
post #908 of 6842 Old 11-05-2008, 12:19 PM

So with the current prices for the Omnisat v2 FS's I was thinking of getting 2 more to use as surrounds. I currently have 2 Omnisat v2 FS's for FL & FR and Omnisat CC and 2 Omnisat for the rears. What does everyone think?
post #909 of 6842 Old 11-05-2008, 12:51 PM

Buco, I was thinking of doing the same thing once I was done adding the center channel. I remember reading a review of the V2 package and the reviewer mentioned that if money weren't an option, he would add a 2nd pair of FS's for the rears. I know it's not wise to post something like that without providing a link, but I've searched for 20 minutes looking for that frickin review and I couldn't find it.

Buzzy, thanks for the feedback. With such a good price, the V2 really is a no-brainer.
post #910 of 6842 Old 11-05-2008, 12:58 PM

Buco, found the review:

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...2_omni_s10.htm

Check out the paragraphs right above "The evolution of the Omnisat".
post #911 of 6842 Old 11-05-2008, 01:55 PM

Seaners, so did you end up getting some or are you also still considering it? I'm wondering if someone has and has it made a big enough difference to spend the $550. If it's not a noticeable difference I don't want to spend the money. Especially with all the new tax's I'll have in the VERY near future!
post #912 of 6842 Old 11-05-2008, 02:33 PM

Buco,

No, I have not made a decision yet. I'm about to buy the V2CC and after that, the rears will be the final purchase (for now, LOL). I'm leaning towards adding a 2nd pair of the V2FS for the rears because the price difference between those and the Omnisats + stands isn't that large of a price difference. But like you, I'm wondering if someone has any experience with doing so.
post #913 of 6842 Old 11-05-2008, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

seaners, if you've got money to spend it might be better put to buying OMD series stuff instead, if you want quality. IMO unless you listen to multichannel music, no point in overdoing the surrounds. Though if you want impact, the FS might be the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucoholic View Post

Especially with all the new tax's I'll have in the VERY near future!

Wow, I didn't know there was going to be a tax on people who can't STFU about politics where they don't belong?!
post #914 of 6842 Old 11-05-2008, 07:06 PM

Anyone have any thoughts on the OC3 sats or cc?

I'm trying to find some time to stop by BB to hear them in person...but is the 'Omnipolar' feature really all that amazing? Forgive my ignorance
post #915 of 6842 Old 11-05-2008, 10:44 PM

So, I've got my OMD-15's all set up. Still waiting on another $100 price drop on the black center channel but that might not happen. Anyways, receiver question for those that have used the OMD-15. Most info online states to set all speakers to small, this is because even if the floorstanders are "large" the center channel can't put out the same bass. I guess its also typical to not be able to set the center channel different than the fronts, but the Yamaha 663 recognizes the OMD-15 as large, and the center as small. So, should I leave it there, or put them back at small and let the sub do the work? IMO it sounds better with them at large, but that could be the placebo effect.
post #916 of 6842 Old 11-06-2008, 04:50 AM
b4z
Advanced Member

A full range tower type speaker is always going to sound better than a small speaker like the OMD-5. Which frequencies are going to the sub with LR set to large?
If the Yamaha allows you to set the center to small I'd go with that since most centers don't go very low.
post #917 of 6842 Old 11-06-2008, 04:51 AM
b4z
Advanced Member

What is your initial impression of the OMD15? How do they compare to other speakers you've owned.
post #918 of 6842 Old 11-06-2008, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

To my surprise, the OMD-C2 was delivered yesterday via Fedex Express. Can't imagine way they shipped it via express. The tape that used to secure the box reads " FACTORY INSPECTED " which leads me to believe that I got a refurbished unit and not a brand new one. I found two minor and tiny but deep scratches. They are visible at close range and are deep enough the wood beneath the rosewood finish is exposed. Second, the grill does not fit perfectly. It leaves a gap on the left side of the speaker. Very disappointed with Vanns. There is nothing I hate that packing and unpacking a speaker. Had I known these were a refurbished unit I would npt have paid close to $1K for a center speaker. I will call both Mirage and Vanns today.

post #919 of 6842 Old 11-06-2008, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Vanns isn't always on top of things the first time (as you can see) but they should readily trade it in for one that's actually new, and send you a shipping label to return that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohns4 View Post

Anyone have any thoughts on the OC3 sats or cc?

I'm trying to find some time to stop by BB to hear them in person...but is the 'Omnipolar' feature really all that amazing? Forgive my ignorance

Read some comments and reviews on the earlier Omnisat speakers to get a better idea. It's the real deal if you want to cover a large or irregular listening area.

BTW, you must mean OS3 - link to Mirage site. Since it's the 3rd generation of the Omnisat, with evolutionary changes, reading earlier articles is still useful.
post #920 of 6842 Old 11-06-2008, 01:10 PM

In regards to initial impressions, well first, I haven't turned them up very loud yet because of the break-in warning. But, the top part of the system though (same as OMD-5 I believe) is MUCH more musical. I was running nanosats and v2cc as my front system before and I wasn't getting room filling music, now I can play a CD and not cringe, it sounds like the music is in the room, not just coming from speakers at the other end. Cheap as they are, I still feel nanosats make great surrounds, but they just don't compare for 2ch listening.

In another week or so I'll jack up the volume some more and we'll see how they really perform.
post #921 of 6842 Old 11-06-2008, 02:26 PM
b4z
Advanced Member

Sounds like you made a good purchase. Audiophiles are always looking for better highs. Something about the way Norah Jones sounds on my 350s is either not right or different when compared to my M3s.
OMD15s might fit the bill.

Anybody running OMD15s and OMD5s as surrounds?
post #922 of 6842 Old 11-06-2008, 11:00 PM

Looks like i have missed out on the Deal on the OMD-28. i already have a Butler audio 5150 on the way. waiting to pull the trigger on integra 9.9 pre.

i am coming from onkyo 804 with av123 ref 1 all around and ref 100 for center channel. hope this is an improvement - if i can get my hands on the omd-28. if anyone can point me in the right direction.
post #923 of 6842 Old 11-07-2008, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I called Vanns and they said they have no more OMD-C2 in Rosewood and would not be getting any more. But when I went to Vanns website, it shows as a pre-order item. Don't know what to make of that!

post #924 of 6842 Old 11-07-2008, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Vanns' website often shows that kind of thing, products that show as on order then later become unavailable - unfortunately I'd bet that what you got via a phone call was the accurate info.
post #925 of 6842 Old 11-07-2008, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

Vanns' website often shows that kind of thing, products that show as on order then later become unavailable - unfortunately I'd bet that what you got via a phone call was the accurate info.

I guess I will call Mirage and try to get a replacement grill and live with the minor scratch if I like the speakers.

post #926 of 6842 Old 11-07-2008, 02:26 PM

You guys think this pairing / setup would sound ok? Due to my wife freaking out about 'large speakers' I'm planning on going for a smaller lineup...

7.1 (already have a sub)
front channels 2 OMD5's with the OMDC1
middle and rear channels: Omnisat v2

Would the OMD5's sound ok with the omnisats?

Also, other than the surround type, theres not really any difference between the Omnisat v2 vs OS3 is there?
post #927 of 6842 Old 11-07-2008, 04:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

To my surprise, the OMD-C2 was delivered yesterday via Fedex Express. Can't imagine way they shipped it via express. The tape that used to secure the box reads " FACTORY INSPECTED " which leads me to believe that I got a refurbished unit and not a brand new one. I found two minor and tiny but deep scratches. They are visible at close range and are deep enough the wood beneath the rosewood finish is exposed. Second, the grill does not fit perfectly. It leaves a gap on the left side of the speaker. Very disappointed with Vanns. There is nothing I hate that packing and unpacking a speaker. Had I known these were a refurbished unit I would npt have paid close to $1K for a center speaker. I will call both Mirage and Vanns today.

Interesting. Just an FYI both of my 28s had the Factory Inspected tape on the box. The speakers inside were wrapped in white sheets of thin foam material. When I got the replacement for the defective one, it had clear tape, no mention of fatory inspected. Also, the speaker inside was wrapped in YELLOW thin foam material. Not sure what the options are now that they are sold out.

I think, therefore I am single.
post #928 of 6842 Old 11-08-2008, 01:57 PM

Question on the finishes of the OMD speakers -

I have seen pictures that make it appear as though the OMD line of speakers come in two different versions - one matte finish and one gloss finish. This is more evident in the rosewood pictures. This is true even on Mirage's own website! - see the OM-5 product page where most of the pictures look nice, but the one of the two OM-5s sitting on a table are 1000% more stunning. What's the deal?
post #929 of 6842 Old 11-08-2008, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PannyMann View Post

Interesting. Just an FYI both of my 28s had the Factory Inspected tape on the box. The speakers inside were wrapped in white sheets of thin foam material. When I got the replacement for the defective one, it had clear tape, no mention of fatory inspected. Also, the speaker inside was wrapped in YELLOW thin foam material. Not sure what the options are now that they are sold out.

Looks like the Factory Inspected ones are refurbished. I would have expected Vanns to clearly identify the refurbished ones as such. Not sure if I want to keep the speakers anymore. I will decide once I had a chance to listen to the OMD-28. The fact that all of the speakers were not delivered at the same time doesn't give much time to audition the center along with the towers, with proper break-in, as my I have only 10 days left to return the center speaker and I haven't received the towers yet.

post #930 of 6842 Old 11-08-2008, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

Looks like the Factory Inspected ones are refurbished. I would have expected Vanns to clearly identify the refurbished ones as such. Not sure if I want to keep the speakers anymore. I will decide once I had a chance to listen to the OMD-28. The fact that all of the speakers were not delivered at the same time doesn't give much time to audition the center along with the towers, with proper break-in, as my I have only 10 days left to return the center speaker and I haven't received the towers yet.

I've found Vann's customer service to be pretty good. Figure out what they're worth to you, then tell them a lower number and give them a chance to make it right.
Reply Speakers