Mirage Speakers - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #991 of 6780 Old 12-02-2008, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My OMD 15s and the OMD C1 center got delivered yesterday. Man, they are much more beautiful in person. Much better than the pictures online.

I hooked them to Onkyo 706 and played some music and am happy with the results so far. Haven't had tiem to calibrate it much.

I do have an issue with the grills however. Both of the main grills on the speakers have dents in them. Not sure if they are banged up in shipping or not. What should I be doing? Should I ask Vanns to replace the grills?

-Sunil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 6780 Old 12-02-2008, 12:11 PM

Hello,
I am thinking of picking up some Mirage Speakers for my living room. Its an open setup connected to the kitchen. I plan on only playing games and watching movies/TV on this small setup. What are your recomendations. These are the setups I was thinking of...

OS³-Sat 5.1 Home Theater System
(4) OS³-Sats Front LR, Surround
(1) OS³-CC Center
(1) MM-8 Subwoofer

Nanosat® Prestige 5.1 Home Theater System
(4) Nanosat Prestiges Front LR, Surrounds
(1) Nano CC Center
(1) Prestige S8 Subwoofer

MX 5.1 Home Theater System
Includes five palm-size speakers and a compact subwoofer cube

I have been told the MX 5.1 is a really good system. I think I would prefer the Nanostat Prestige 5.1, but the Omnistat 3 seems like the best of all 3. I am looking for best bang for your buck deal. Also does anyone have any hookups on good prices for one of these setups? I have 1 hookup, but want to see what other deals there are.
Thanks for your input!!! :-)

post #993 of 6780 Old 12-02-2008, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

Have you thought about wall or ceiling mounting the satellites?

You can pick up the Omni S8 on eBay now from wwstereo, an authorized dealer, for $225, and if you link to eBay through live.com you can get 30% of that back in 60 days. Search the web or search here, there's a thread on it. It's fine if you're looking to just fill in the low end, rather than knock the pictures off your walls.

The Prestige version of the S8 is $300 at Vanns and Crutchfield now, that's a newer, better looking and more powerful version of than the Omni S8.

no, I don't want to make any hole and fish the speaker wires through the wall.... thus I'm looking for a speaker stand...

or the Prestige S8 is better than the Omni S8?? at least it looks prettier sitting in the living room than the Omni S8, that's for sure!

~ Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

)

post #994 of 6780 Old 12-03-2008, 05:15 AM

Has anyone used any floor stands for OMD 5s? If so, coulld you post what you are using?
post #995 of 6780 Old 12-03-2008, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

I'm trying to decide between OMD-5s or Omnisat v2 FS. I know they'll both be sold out soon, but have heard different opinions on if the v2 FS's really sound much better than the OMD-5s. Anybody have experience with both? Opinions?

Bump in the hopes someone might have an opinion on the SQ of the OMD-5s compared to the v2 FS. I need to decide between these asap before they are sold out, so any input appreciated!

post #996 of 6780 Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilpg View Post

My OMD 15s and the OMD C1 center got delivered yesterday. Man, they are much more beautiful in person. Much better than the pictures online.

I hooked them to Onkyo 706 and played some music and am happy with the results so far. Haven't had tiem to calibrate it much.

I do have an issue with the grills however. Both of the main grills on the speakers have dents in them. Not sure if they are banged up in shipping or not. What should I be doing? Should I ask Vanns to replace the grills?

-Sunil

I have to agree with you that promotional pictures do not do justice to the gorgeous finish on the 15s.

I assume you bought these from Vanns and if that is the case, you might want to read through Alex Soloman's adventure with Vanns a page or two earlier in this thread. It appears that Mirages they are currently clearing out may not all be brand new. I'd call them up ASAP and I would probably call Mirage directly as well. Others have reported Mirage shipping parts to them. Haven't heard of any grills though.

I hope it works out for you.

I think, therefore I am single.
post #997 of 6780 Old 12-03-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy1477 View Post

Hello,
I am thinking of picking up some Mirage Speakers for my living room. Its an open setup connected to the kitchen. I plan on only playing games and watching movies/TV on this small setup. What are your recomendations. These are the setups I was thinking of...

OS³-Sat 5.1 Home Theater System
(4) OS³-Sats Front LR, Surround
(1) OS³-CC Center
(1) MM-8 Subwoofer

Nanosat® Prestige 5.1 Home Theater System
(4) Nanosat Prestiges Front LR, Surrounds
(1) Nano CC Center
(1) Prestige S8 Subwoofer

MX 5.1 Home Theater System
Includes five palm-size speakers and a compact subwoofer cube

I have been told the MX 5.1 is a really good system. I think I would prefer the Nanostat Prestige 5.1, but the Omnistat 3 seems like the best of all 3. I am looking for best bang for your buck deal. Also does anyone have any hookups on good prices for one of these setups? I have 1 hookup, but want to see what other deals there are.
Thanks for your input!!! :-)

BUMP for unbiased opinions? Anyone?

post #998 of 6780 Old 12-03-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:

BUMP for unbiased opinions? Anyone?

I don't know how many have heard the OS3 series yet, why not score a deal on leftover OS2 as it's been discounted heavily? I don't think OS3 vs. Nanosat Prestige would make a huge difference as the design principal is the same, only expect more bass and perhaps fully sound from the OS3 setup, but with a good sub i'd expect the Nanosats to be close.

I'd also take an OmniSat over the NanoSat for the larger tweeter on the Omni (you should verify this as i'm going on memory) but I believe the tweeter on the Omni is 1" vs. 3/4" on the nano. Overall i'd pick the Omnisats, especially if you score a sweet deal on v2s.

I'm not sure about the other speaker you've mentioned though.
post #999 of 6780 Old 12-03-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intence View Post

I don't know how many have heard the OS3 series yet, why not score a deal on leftover OS2 as it's been discounted heavily? I don't think OS3 vs. Nanosat Prestige would make a huge difference as the design principal is the same, only expect more bass and perhaps fully sound from the OS3 setup, but with a good sub i'd expect the Nanosats to be close.

I'd also take an OmniSat over the NanoSat for the larger tweeter on the Omni (you should verify this as i'm going on memory) but I believe the tweeter on the Omni is 1" vs. 3/4" on the nano. Overall i'd pick the Omnisats, especially if you score a sweet deal on v2s.

I'm not sure about the other speaker you've mentioned though.

Any ideas on places to score a good deal on the OmniSat V2s?

post #1000 of 6780 Old 12-03-2008, 03:51 PM

Is anyone using OMD-R's in a 7.1?

I currently have 4 OMD-5's in a 7.1 setup. Does anyone know if switching a pair of the 5's for OMD-R's would be beneficial?

Thanks in advance.
post #1001 of 6780 Old 12-03-2008, 10:08 PM

sunilpg,

I recently received my OMD-15's from Vann's as well and had the same issue with the grills. I considered calling them but it was minor enough for me to roll the bumps out with a short metal pipe. But yeah, not entirely happy that I had to do my own fixing, so I ordered my OMD-5's from Crutchfield instead.
post #1002 of 6780 Old 12-03-2008, 11:09 PM

Yeah, I've been busy with work and haven't had a chance to call them yet. But, I think I will anyways just to see what kind of customer service they have. If they are ignorant, I'll take my business else where next time.

What are you running your OMD15s with. Mine are powered by Onkyo tx-sr706.
post #1003 of 6780 Old 12-04-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Bump in the hopes someone might have an opinion on the SQ of the OMD-5s compared to the v2 FS. I need to decide between these asap before they are sold out, so any input appreciated!

i have compared them prior to my decision on what to use in both my family room and ht room. i use the v2fs as l/r mains only because they look better there, and use the omd-5's as surrounds in my bigger ht room due to being smaller and mountable. despite the size difference you'd be surprised that the SOUND difference between them is minimal. the omd-5' are much better with dialogue at low listening levels, but as volume increases its advantage moves more toward the v2fs because the frequency range is broader. i can tell you that comparing bass on either of them is a mute point as neither could hold me on fullness on their own. both need the help of a sub to sound good. if i had to rate the bass between them the v2's can go lower by not by much. i had them both hooked up to a sony 5es and will add, the omd-5s are much more power hungry, probably due to the ohm being lower on them (6 compared to 8 for the v2's). same goes with the db level (90 compared to 93 for the v2's). so you need to crank the volume up a bit for the omd-5 to sing. i felt the omd-5's were clearer, but when i added in the sub the v2's blended in the room better. i say make your decision on aesthetics thats what i did. i took how my room looked and decided what would work better.
post #1004 of 6780 Old 12-04-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Thanks much for your feedback, kclark. All other things (i.e. SQ) being equal or very close, I prefer the 5s for the WAF and general reduction of visual clutter in this shared use family/media room, so I'll probably go in that direction for the fronts. I may even consider some Omnican OC45s or 55s for the surrounds.

I appreciate your input.

post #1005 of 6780 Old 12-04-2008, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
good choice.
post #1006 of 6780 Old 12-04-2008, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Any ideas on places to score a good deal on the OmniSat V2s?

try your local BestBuy! I just grab a pair of OmniSat V2 FS, and OmniSat V2 CC from them for discontinued price (50% off retail) + open box (another $35 off for each). I paid $425 for the pair of the FS, and $165 for the CC!!

~ Gary

)

post #1007 of 6780 Old 12-04-2008, 04:01 PM
b4z
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
This vann's liquidation should really be disclosed as a "B" stock or factory remanufactured sale like Apple does with their ipods they sell at a discount(or how any other heavily discounted merchandise is advertised).
I don't think I will be buying the Om-15s. the economy is awful and we've been hammered in the stock market and it just doesn't seem prudent.
I did find some really cheap non stop flights to London and a $108 night 4 star hotel deal for late March 2009, so we may do that instead.LOL.
post #1008 of 6780 Old 12-04-2008, 07:28 PM

I'm running 15-C1-15 in the front and 5-v2cc-5 in the back. Running them with a Yamaha RX-v663, I'm in a small room though, in a larger room I'd throw another 800 or so bucks at another amp because the 663 doesn't come anywhere near the max input on the speakers.
post #1009 of 6780 Old 12-05-2008, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

try your local BestBuy! I just grab a pair of OmniSat V2 FS, and OmniSat V2 CC from them for discontinued price (50% off retail) + open box (another $35 off for each). I paid $425 for the pair of the FS, and $165 for the CC!!

Wow! this is kinda the same deal I got, but I ended up buying the 3 floor model units they had, all for 50% off.
post #1010 of 6780 Old 12-05-2008, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PannyMann View Post

I assume you bought these from Vanns and if that is the case, you might want to read through Alex Soloman's adventure with Vanns a page or two earlier in this thread. It appears that Mirages they are currently clearing out may not all be brand new. I'd call them up ASAP and I would probably call Mirage directly as well. Others have reported Mirage shipping parts to them. Haven't heard of any grills though.

I hope it works out for you.

Thats why ppl should be getting their Mirage thru Crutchfield. TRUST ME, you wont have any of those problems like Alex had! They are a WAAAAY better company as a whole. You have to keep going on the site regularly if you got your eye on something, eventually it comes up at discount.

HANESIAN: go there for those OMD-5's you want, dont get them from vanns.
post #1011 of 6780 Old 12-05-2008, 06:02 AM

Crutchfield is now out of stock on the OMD-5's

Vanns is also out of stock. Any suggestions on where to purchase OMD-5's?
post #1012 of 6780 Old 12-05-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benamaster View Post

Crutchfield is now out of stock on the OMD-5's

Vanns is also out of stock. Any suggestions on where to purchase OMD-5's?

shopaudiovideo.com
post #1013 of 6780 Old 12-05-2008, 09:17 AM

So I went to the local magnolia inside of best buy and lucky me they had the omnisat v2 FS for 50% off. I figured to score an open box discount too since they had some scratches and one of the grills didn't fit exactly flush.

The sound was good and I took off the cover to check the woofers and I found the tweeter in the omniguide somewhat collapsed or like someone pushed it with there finger. Is that something easily replaceable or that can be fixed? I'm sure I could haggle them down on the price because of it but if the repair or replacement cost is more than the savings I might as well take a drive to another store.

Hoping to score an upgrade on my nanosat system. Love the mirage sound.
post #1014 of 6780 Old 12-05-2008, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclark View Post

shopaudiovideo.com

That has to be a joke.
post #1015 of 6780 Old 12-05-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:

That has to be a joke.

I agree, I called their number and it said box full. I will try to find a local dealer. Electronics-Expo and some local dealers said they can still order them but not at the good price.
post #1016 of 6780 Old 12-05-2008, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Just received a pair of the OS3-FS in gloss black. These are beautiful, solid and look well made...however, I was extremely disappointed that they are not made in Canada, but (as usual now) in freakin China.
Upon initial testing...they sound very good: clear in the hi's and mid's, but really need a SW for serious sound.
BTW...able to buy these beauties, brand new, for not much more than what some folks are paying for those banged up V2-FS's from BB.

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
post #1017 of 6780 Old 12-05-2008, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello Guys,
I was able to get a replacement grill from Mirage. But I have since returned the speakers back to Vanns though and the return was hassle free. So those of you who need grills should contact Mirage instead of Vanns.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #1018 of 6780 Old 12-05-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:

That has to be a joke.

did you even goto the site!
http://www.shopaudiovideo.com/miromd-5.html

i got a s8 sub from them with no issues when i ordered from them.
post #1019 of 6780 Old 12-05-2008, 08:21 PM

Liked: 12
Petrovy where did you get those OS3-FS from? Also as the price is the same is the OS3 surrounds are they any better than the OMD5
My decision tonight is between these and both choices run 1200.00 US so any help is appreciated.
Choice one (I already have the Mirage SUB) Both of these choices are the same price.

Mirage V2 FS X2 and v2 CC center channel,and v2 satellites,
· frequency response 55-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
· Omnipolar technology creates a larger, more realistic soundstage
· 1" PTH™ tweeter
· 4-1/2" Titanium Deposit Hybrid polypropylene midrange in sealed sub-enclosure
· two 4-1/2" Titanium Deposit Hybrid polypropylene woofers with four 4-1/2" passive radiators
· impedance: 8-ohm nominal, 4-ohm minimal
· sensitivity 94 dB surrounds better or worse than the OS5
· handles up to 175 watts
· binding posts
· 5-9/16"W x 45"H x 5-15/16"D
· warranty: 5 years
·
OR: Mirage OS3 FS ONLY X2 for front and save for the rest (I already have the Mirage sub) I did audition these speakers and they were awesome. Good bass, excellent mid, and outstanding highs, but warm and full. Did not audition the FS V2 as I can’t find anyone with them still in stock to listen to.
Power rating: 10W - 175W recommended amplifier power
• Nominal impedance: 8 ohms (4-ohm minimum)
• Tweeter: 1" pure titanium hybrid tweeter
• Midrange: 4.5" poly titanium deposit hybrid driver with phase plug and single 4.5" passive radiator in sealed sub-enclosure
• Woofer: Two 4.5" poly titanium deposit hybrid drivers with phase plug and four 4.5" poly titanium hybrid passive radiators
• Crossover: 900Hz, 2.5kHz
• Cabinet design: Extruded aluminum cabinet reinforced with Medium Density Fiberboard
• Magnetic shielding: Yes
• Mounting options: Designed for floor placement / Elegant glass base
Additional Specifications
• Patented Ribbed Elliptical Surround technology on all drivers
• Onmipolar® technology with Omniguide module
• Frequency response: 52Hz - 20kHz ±3dB
• Room efficiency: 93dB
• Inputs: High-quality 5-way binding posts

There are two holes in Daddys head where all the money goes.
post #1020 of 6780 Old 12-06-2008, 04:37 PM

Got some new Mirage OMD15's from Vanns. From the experience I've had with Vanns they have been excellent.. so far.

Anyway, the speakers are hooked to a new Onkyo 876 and I am really not impressed with the sound. (Beautiful looking speaker though) They seem awfully 'shrill' to me and the sound in general is not much better, if any, than my old JBL j325a's (1985)!

I know the manual says they need a 100 hours to break in and I haven't experimented with speaker placement too much but was wondering what other's experiences were/are with them. I have them bi-amped which helped, but not enough.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page