AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post

WhskyTangoFoxtrt,

For the Omnisat V2 SS, it is listed as "black". How noticeable of a difference between the omd5 gloss black and Omnistat V2 SS. They will be about 20 feet apart.

Look at Zanorath's photos in post #1071 above. That compares an OMD5 to a Nano, but the V2 SS looks the same as the Nano, just bigger. There is also the all black one without the silver trim, but the black surface material is the same.

Quote:

I am still debating about the Omnisat V2 SS and omd5 for the surround. I probably will determine once the omd5 arrived. If I am impressed, then I go with it or else just go with the lesser cost model.

Just factor in that the 5s will not be available long. They were discontinued and were already once out of stock, and will be again soon. Once they're gone, the biggest available Mirage bookshelf speaker will be the Prestige, which is selling for the same as the 5s, and then the V2 ss. Seems like the market is demanding smaller, but not necessarily better.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 6808 Old 12-17-2008, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Look at Zanorath's photos in post #1071 above. That compares an OMD5 to a Nano, but the V2 SS looks the same as the Nano, just bigger. There is also the all black one without the silver trim, but the black surface material is the same.

Just factor in that the 5s will not be available long. They were discontinued and were already once out of stock, and will be again soon. Once they're gone, the biggest available Mirage bookshelf speaker will be the Prestige, which is selling for the same as the 5s, and then the V2 ss. Seems like the market is demanding smaller, but not necessarily better.

I just ordered the omdc1. Now you have me thinking about another set of omd5.

Tony
post #1083 of 6808 Old 12-17-2008, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

V2 SS looks the same as the Nano, just bigger. There is also the all black one without the silver trim, but the black surface material is the same.

Very similar, but maybe not the same. To me, the OS V2 SS is a hybrid between the two. For instance, the V2 and the Nano share similar cabinet finishes while the V2 and the 5 have the magnetic removable grill and maybe share more similar performance characteristics.

Is this true? The Prestige is a Nanosat speaker and is not the next biggest size or performance option, that would be the Os3 which has replaced the V2s. No?

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #1084 of 6808 Old 12-17-2008, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Bell View Post

Tony,
Like you I was looking for a smaller footprint after I moved into an apartment. Sold my beloved Paradigm speakers which were too large for an apartment. Last week I bought the last two OMD-5s(front mains) that my dealer had in stock along with 2 of the Omnisat V2 for the surrounds. I was able to find a OMD-C1 from Crutchfields for a fantastic price. The OMD-5s are on 30 inch speaker stands. With my Denon 3808 receiver I am very happy with the performance of these speakers.

What stand did you use for the omd5?

I just order another set. I hate to wait . Looks like I have 3 different shipment from each order from usps (i hate their tracking system). I did my share to help the economy. My hsu will go into my room.

Tony
post #1085 of 6808 Old 12-17-2008, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

Is this true? The Prestige is a Nanosat speaker and is not the next biggest size or performance option, that would be the Os3 which has replaced the V2s. No?

I'm afraid you might be reading more into my response than I intended. I was not including the new Os3 since Tony's question had to do only with the 5s vs. the V2 SS, and in particular the appearance of the black surface material. I mentioned the Nanos because they were alredy in a photo. That's also all I was referring to in making comparisons - again, just responding to Tony's question about how they would look together.

Sorry for any confusion.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #1086 of 6808 Old 12-17-2008, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

What are people crossing the omd5 at? 80hz? I have a hsu ho and mbm.

I purchased the sanus 31 inch stand for the front and bring the center underneath the lcd. The current setup in the pic didn't have a clean lookup. I think I can teach my 2.5 year boy not to break them.

Can somebody confirm the base of the omd5. I saw the spec but just want to make sure since its an odd shape. I am hoping it is greater than 5x5 (greater than the sanus plate at least).

Tony
LL
post #1087 of 6808 Old 12-17-2008, 05:44 PM

Liked: 14
Tony,

The stands are Paradigm Premier Speaker Stands #S30 They put the tweeter at my seated ear height.
post #1088 of 6808 Old 12-17-2008, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm afraid you might be reading more into my response than I intended. I was not including the new Os3 since Tony's question had to do only with the 5s vs. the V2 SS, and in particular the appearance of the black surface material. I mentioned the Nanos because they were alredy in a photo. That's also all I was referring to in making comparisons - again, just responding to Tony's question about how they would look together.

Sorry for any confusion.

No worries.

Tony,

I have the Sanus Systems EF-SATB Euro Foundations Adjustable Satellite Speaker Stands. Since you mentioned finish, the stands that I have are powder coated and look better with the V2s in my opinion. If you can live with the finish, they will fit the 5s as well.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #1089 of 6808 Old 12-17-2008, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Bell View Post

They put the tweeter at my seated ear height.

That's too high for Mirage Omnipolars IMO, unless you're very close to it, since the tweeter fires upward. Tweeter at ear height is meant for forward firing directional speakers.
post #1090 of 6808 Old 12-18-2008, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Can you guys give me suggestion. I am not sure about whether I should mount the front left and right speakers of the omd5 using the included bracket or use a sanus 31 inch speaker stand.

Which one will yield a nicer look?

From the bottom edge of the lcd to the floor is 38" inch.

Attach pic shows my proposed location with the oval shape of the locations. I really don't want to mount in the same locations as the current hsu I have right now (it just looks too clutter for a 8 ft ceiling).

speaker stand I ordered.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...1BF31B&g=15810

Btw, I do have a 2.5 year boy, but i think at this age, he knows not to play with them , He still rides his bike around the house so the stand might be a problem. I can always glue down the stand, etc.
TIA,
tony
LL
post #1091 of 6808 Old 12-18-2008, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I personally would mount them on the wall (especially when you have hardwood floors). I still have sizable dents on my fwood loor from my Athena sorrounds on stands. They got tipped over way too many times and I my kid wasn't even born by then.

I don't think its worth the risk to the speakers and to the floor when you have kids.
post #1092 of 6808 Old 12-18-2008, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilpg View Post

I personally would mount them on the wall (especially when you have hardwood floors). I still have sizable dents on my fwood loor from my Athena sorrounds on stands. They got tipped over way too many times and I my kid wasn't even born by then.

I don't think its worth the risk to the speakers and to the floor when you have kids.

Thats what I am thinking too.

Tony
post #1093 of 6808 Old 12-18-2008, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

On the OMD5, what are you guys setting the crossover at? I am running a seperate sub.

Tony
post #1094 of 6808 Old 12-18-2008, 01:57 PM

Liked: 14
Tony,

Mirage list the frequency response as 60 HZ-20 KHZ (+/-3db) for the OMD-5. I bought a Denon 3808 on the same day I bought the OMD-5s. It has Audyssey MultEQ. When I ran the auto setup, it set the OMD-5s at 110hz, the OMD-C1 at 100hz and the Omnisat V2s at 90 hz. These crossovers are probably higher than I would have set them if I had done a manual setup w/ my SPL meter, but the Audyssey settings sound good so I am leaving them as is. In another room the Audyssey calculations might come up different.

Andy
post #1095 of 6808 Old 12-18-2008, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Btw, I do have a 2.5 year boy, but i think at this age, he knows not to play with them ,

If so, he may be the world's first - and perhaps only - two year old that fits that description!

My kids (all now well past that age) could never keep away from anything so temping. But I admire your optimism!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #1096 of 6808 Old 12-18-2008, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If so, he may be the world's first - and perhaps only - two year old that fits that description!

My kids (all now well past that age) could never keep away from anything so temping. But I admire your optimism!

I am convinced now to mount the speakers to the wall eventhough he still can reach them (better than tilting them over).

Tony
post #1097 of 6808 Old 12-18-2008, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Guys,

I went to BB and listened to the OS2, nanostat, and prestige. They all sounded great playing jazz.

Originally, i was planning to go just 5.1 (I currently have hsu 7.1) to reduce the size. Since I have listened to the small mirage and like the size, I might just go with 7 speakers.

I have already ordered 4 omd5 and 1 omd1. I might order 2 more speakers, the smallest size possible (nano or prestige). Would it sound right if I have the nano/prestige as the surround side and keep 2 omd5 for the surrond back?

I don't really want to put the omd5 as surround side (it would look too big plus I am hooking them at 7.5 foot height cause one wall has a window).

Proposed:

omd5 L/R
omd1 C
nano/prestige - Surround L/R
omd5 - surround back L/R

This is for 50/50 movies and music.

Tony
LL
post #1098 of 6808 Old 12-19-2008, 01:04 AM

YPAO crossed my 5's at 110 as well, though I dropped it manually to 80. The db dropoff is too high to cross at 60 but I didn't want my crappy sub any higher than it needed to be. I can still hear 80hz freq's from the 5's.
post #1099 of 6808 Old 12-19-2008, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Guys,

I went to BB and listened to the OS2, nanostat, and prestige. They all sounded great playing jazz.

Originally, i was planning to go just 5.1 (I currently have hsu 7.1) to reduce the size. Since I have listened to the small mirage and like the size, I might just go with 7 speakers.

I have already ordered 4 omd5 and 1 omd1. I might order 2 more speakers, the smallest size possible (nano or prestige). Would it sound right if I have the nano/prestige as the surround side and keep 2 omd5 for the surrond back?

I don't really want to put the omd5 as surround side (it would look too big plus I am hooking them at 7.5 foot height cause one wall has a window).

Proposed:

omd5 L/R
omd1 C
nano/prestige - Surround L/R
omd5 - surround back L/R

This is for 50/50 movies and music.

Tony

Again, I think that this is a personal preference for you. You're ultimately trying to find the best compromise for a number of your concerns such as speaker size, your listening space, childproofing, and enjoyable sound.

While form and function are ideally equal, I will almost always decide in favor of function in the end. After all, that's what you're paying for in regards to quality speakers.

So, my choice would be to put your OMD-5s in front and as surrounds, since they get utilized a bit more. And if you like the nanos, place them as your backs. Ideally though, I would go OMD-5 all the way around to match your C1 for the best sound and also for the best look.

post #1100 of 6808 Old 12-19-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Seems I'm not getting all the sound I expect out of my newly acquired Omnipolar OmniSat V1 speakers.

Is this a speaker characteristic or do I need to play with my settings? Voices come in loud and clear, the rest seems to be lower than I would expect.

Here is more on my question if you happen to run these on a 45tx

Mike
post #1101 of 6808 Old 12-19-2008, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
you guys find the Omni series speakers slightly bright sounding??
post #1102 of 6808 Old 12-19-2008, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

I have the Omnisat V2s and don't necessarily find them bright for their size. I would suspect that most, like myself, would normally use them as surrounds in a x.1 setup crossed with a sub. I use them now as stereo speakers (with a sub) and have no complaints.

I will say though, that I prefer the sound of the OMD-5s a bit more. Better Frequency Response and Room Efficiency are noticeable in my opinion.

post #1103 of 6808 Old 12-20-2008, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

For the people that has the omd5 and used the bracket from the factory, how sturdy is it?

I am might mount mine 7.5 feet high (reverse per their direction) so I have some concerns.

What about the center channel (omdc1). It looks like its 14lbs with one screw (not tilting)?

Tony
post #1104 of 6808 Old 12-21-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

Rooms or setups that allow for a lot of reflections (hard surfaces) can make them seem that way, especially since they send sound waves off over such a wide range. Maybe think about whether that's going on in your room. Move them and aim them so that doesn't happen if possible.
post #1105 of 6808 Old 12-21-2008, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For the people that has the omd5 and used the bracket from the factory, how sturdy is it?

I am might mount mine 7.5 feet high (reverse per their direction) so I have some concerns.

What about the center channel (omdc1). It looks like its 14lbs with one screw (not tilting)?

Tony

I think the mounting brackets for the 5s are sturdy and designed to hold the weight of the speakers.

I don't own a C1 so I can't really comment on it.

post #1106 of 6808 Old 12-21-2008, 03:49 PM

Hey!!
So I have an opportunity to buy a Mirage set up at a steal of a price here in Canada. The package is the Omni 350's up front, a C150 and Omni 150's in for rears. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these speakers and what they think. I used to have Mirages back in 2001 and I liked them. My only concern was the center not sounding full/deep enough. Could I upgrade to the Omd C1 or would that not match the 350's? They will be used for movies through a PS3 and set up with a Denon 1909. We were sold on the Klipsch reference series but also liked the Mirage sound. Any input would be fantastic on the speakers, receiver, etc!!
post #1107 of 6808 Old 12-21-2008, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

What is the difference between Mirage Nanosat Prestige & Mirage Nanosat besides the finish?

Crutchfield has the Prestige at 199 and the nanostat 125. These will be my surround if I decide. They will couple with 4 omd5.

Btw, the Mirage MX is really attractive too

Tony
post #1108 of 6808 Old 12-21-2008, 05:37 PM

I'm looking to set up a visually-small 3.1 system, with a budget for speakers + center + sub of $1000.

I love the look of the Nanosat Prestiges. Would those work in a 3.1 setup?

Second choice in terms of looks are the Omnisat v2 satellites & center, esp. since they're at attractive prices these days. Question on the floor versions: they're 45" tall, but where along that height does sound project from? (I might have a piece of a chair in front of the bottom 24" or so.)

Room is about 15' wide by 20' deep from TV, with main viewing position 10' from TV. I listen at low to medium volume. The sofa isn't centered on the TV, and the speakers will have to be within a couple feet of the back wall . . . so the omnidirectional approach of Mirage sounds like a good idea, though I'm a total novice at all this.

FYI, I've been thinking of the Yamaha RX-V565. Needs to be an AVR that won't run hot (since I'm not sure that the cabinet's well-ventilated) & that has some HDMI inputs.
post #1109 of 6808 Old 12-22-2008, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaMike View Post

Seems I'm not getting all the sound I expect out of my newly acquired Omnipolar OmniSat V1 speakers.

Hard to know what you expected but ... I'd check the polarity (+/- connection) on all the wires and reset the receiver settings to make sure there's nothing unexpected going on there. If they sound OK in straight stereo, that suggests it's the receiver settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintchris View Post

Hey!!
So I have an opportunity to buy a Mirage set up at a steal of a price here in Canada. The package is the Omni 350's up front, a C150 and Omni 150's in for rears. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these speakers and what they think.

For comments, search this thread and read this other thread.

You might also want to do a quick check on what you can get the Omnisat V2 sats and FS for now, since they are on clearance in the US. Eg look at Vanns.com to get an idea. Better quality and more compact, and lots easier to resell if you decide to try something else.
post #1110 of 6808 Old 12-22-2008, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Guys,

I am thinking of going with 2 omd15 for the front now. I have originally ordered 4 omd5 for the front and back.

My order hasn't arrived yet. I wonder how the process (to return) work with Vanns.

Tony
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page