Mirage Speakers - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1171 of 6773 Old 12-31-2008, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It looks like the OmniSat v2s are discontinued and are pretty rare to find. I'm looking for a pair of v2s in white at a nice discount. Has anyone ran across a retailer with some remaining stock? Google did not help me out.

Much thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 6773 Old 12-31-2008, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Nanosat 5.1 system and it does HT very well. But it really does not do to good with music -at least certain types. Some stuff yes, like Chicago or REO but if I put on Daughtry or Def leppard the Nanosats mush everything into a sonic mess.

Has anyone upgraded to the bigger versions and has it helped with music? I really want to keep these because I love what they do with surround sound but the front 3 are just not working for music. The Mirage towers are not an option at 1,000/pair although I am looking at some Take TWR towers for half that price and am wondering aloud if they would match up ok with the Nanosats used as rears and side surrouds......
post #1173 of 6773 Old 12-31-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roknrol View Post

It looks like the OmniSat v2s are discontinued and are pretty rare to find. I'm looking for a pair of v2s in white at a nice discount. Has anyone ran across a retailer with some remaining stock? Google did not help me out.

Much thanks.

If you mean the silver V2s, vanns has lots of them in the clearance section.
post #1174 of 6773 Old 12-31-2008, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
For the person who has the omd 15, do you use the spike feet? My guess is the spike feet is meant for wood floor?

Also, is there a higher chance of the speaker tilting, etc when installed on spike versus non-spike.

Tony
post #1175 of 6773 Old 01-01-2009, 03:36 PM

According to the Mirage site,
Prestige S8 sub: "bass reflex with rear firing port"
Omni S8 sub: "powered front firing subwoofer with down firing port."
http://www.miragespeakers.com/na-en/...ids=25%3b23%3b

Does this mean there's a difference in how they should be placed in a room?

The Prestige S8 is only $30 more than the Omni S8 on Amazon. Since the Prestige is a little smaller, & higher on Mirage's product line, I'd be inclined to get it . . . but is it possible there are reasons that would be a bad idea? (I expect to run a 3.1 system with a Denon receiver.)
post #1176 of 6773 Old 01-01-2009, 03:38 PM

So I've been enjoying my Omni 550's for a couple weeks now and I have to admit that I am hooked on the Omnipolar sound. I liked it enough to order a pair of OMD-5's and mount them on the walls in my bedroom system. Now question for you guys who own the OMD-5s. Is it safe to mount these using the supplied brackets to just the dry wall? I've checked to see where my studs were located and found that they wouldn't be in the most ideal locations. Thanks!
post #1177 of 6773 Old 01-01-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlim123 View Post

So I've been enjoying my Omni 550's for a couple weeks now and I have to admit that I am hooked on the Omnipolar sound. I liked it enough to order a pair of OMD-5's and mount them on the walls in my bedroom system. Now question for you guys who own the OMD-5s. Is it safe to mount these using the supplied brackets to just the dry wall? I've checked to see where my studs were located and found that they wouldn't be in the most ideal locations. Thanks!

I would get screws with dry wall anchors and not take the chance of them falling.
post #1178 of 6773 Old 01-01-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahl View Post

According to the Mirage site,
Prestige S8 sub: "bass reflex with rear firing port"
Omni S8 sub: "powered front firing subwoofer with down firing port."
http://www.miragespeakers.com/na-en/...ids=25%3b23%3b

Does this mean there's a difference in how they should be placed in a room?

The Prestige S8 is only $30 more than the Omni S8 on Amazon. Since the Prestige is a little smaller, & higher on Mirage's product line, I'd be inclined to get it . . . but is it possible there are reasons that would be a bad idea? (I expect to run a 3.1 system with a Denon receiver.)

If the price is close I'd go for the Prestige. It has better components and a bit more flexibility in adjustments, which should help with placement. With most subs you'll want to leave some space from the wall, so the rear port shouldn't matter unless you are forced to back it into the wall due to your room layout. The room & placement will have a very large effect on the sound of your sub, so be prepared to try it in several different places to get the sound right. It should pound in your avg size room!
One goofy sounding but effective way to decide on placement, if you have a few options, is to put the sub on your sofa, on top of a chair at ear height. Play it and listen from the spots you'd like to place the sub in until you find the best sounding spot. The room enhances certain frequencies quite a bit, so it never hurts to try a few different cd's. Then, place the sub there. Also, very small changes in the controls make a big sonic difference so you may want to fool around a fair bit and take your time adjusting it.
Have fun!!
post #1179 of 6773 Old 01-01-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCATUCCI View Post

I have the Nanosat 5.1 system and it does HT very well. But it really does not do to good with music -at least certain types. Some stuff yes, like Chicago or REO but if I put on Daughtry or Def leppard the Nanosats mush everything into a sonic mess.

Has anyone upgraded to the bigger versions and has it helped with music? I really want to keep these because I love what they do with surround sound but the front 3 are just not working for music. The Mirage towers are not an option at 1,000/pair although I am looking at some Take TWR towers for half that price and am wondering aloud if they would match up ok with the Nanosats used as rears and side surrouds......

Right now you've got a 2.75" mid/woofer in each front speaker and on music, they just run out of puff. With movies these work well but on music there is no place to hide since we know what a drum/piano/guitar should sound like and can easily discern the differences.
The take twr has four 4.5" drivers per side, a similar family voicing, and should be able to relay some of the oomph that you're now missing. I sold Energy years ago and they are a good product. Also, if you can still find some larger Mirage OMD-5's, the OS tower or sats on sale, they are very good and will let you have fun with your music again - especially the omd-5's, damn good with the sub. You will also enjoy much better sound for HT.

Since your problem is with how they replay music, you may want to just get the best L/R fronts you can find for the $$ and keep the centre. Happy hunting.
post #1180 of 6773 Old 01-02-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runel View Post

Is this only i The USA? When I talked with Mirage here in Norway they said that OMD was NOT discontinued. But I am hoping to get enough money to buy on pair of OMD28 to 10000 USD as the price is her in the "North"

The OMD15 cost "only" 2500 USD is the OMD28 so much better? You could take one pair of OMD15 and two JL Audio F112 for the price of OMD28 here i Norway....

Happy New Year to every one!

Regards
Rune
Norway, Trondheim

Hello Rune,
I had a pair of the 15's and they sounded great. I am receiving a pair of 28's on Monday so I will let you know what I think of the difference once I get them set up and give them a listen. There is a real big price difference, I'll see if that translates to the listening experience.

As for the OMD line, I can only tell you what I was told by a technician at Mirage. He said that was it for the OMD line. With you getting a differing opinion overseas, I have no idea what to believe. Maybe they keep it going over there but not here? I do know that the prices were slashed over here by the online sellers. That usually means Mirage is dropping the line.

Also, you can get a pair of OMD15's for about $1200 USD at Vanns, I'm not sure if they ship overseas, nor the cost to ship that far, but it might be worth looking into before plunking down full price where you live.

Good luck
post #1181 of 6773 Old 01-02-2009, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I checked Vann's, and they have the black, black/silver, and white/silver available -- but no all white. Too bad though -- the prices are great. Since these will be going up as corner surrounds next to the ceiling, I need the white.
post #1182 of 6773 Old 01-02-2009, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
From October-11-08, 09:30 AM :
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Driver View Post

My Mirage/Klipsch rep was just in on Thursday and the OMD series is officially discontinued, thus the good deals going on right now. When they are gone, they are gone. There is no plan to replace OMD.

Click on the little arrow thingy after TDI Driver to see the original post.
post #1183 of 6773 Old 01-03-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

taichi, the sweet spot in terms of sound quality for money would be to get the Omnisat V2s at crutchfield or vanns. half price, very similar performance, to the os3. the other stuff you list is only if you want to compromise sound quality for size (which many want to do, due to small room size, or whatever, but no question it's something of a compromise due to the limited low end realities of the small satellites). they will all sound pretty good in the midrange and treble, as long as you don't need it really loud.

a lot of the other questions asked lately are already covered in the last few pages of this thread, or could be answered with an easy google search.

taichi, I second this opinion. I just bought the whole 5.1 omnisat v2 FS, CC, and SS for ~1250. But you have to act quickly because these speakers have been discontinued and only a few dealers still have them. They sound great for both home theater and music. Bottom line is you get a very nice system for half the price, save yourself ~700
post #1184 of 6773 Old 01-03-2009, 08:21 PM

I have question regarding the sorround speakers, Omnican 5s to be specific. My fronts sound great (OMD15s + OMD C1), but I am not even hearing the sorround speakers while watching the movies. I know that they are working 'coz if I pay attention or go close to them I could hear the sounds.

Is it possible that my fronts are overpowering the tiny Omnican 5s? I also dont' have any walls to the back and to one side which typcially is a requirement for omnipolar speakers. I calibrated my setup with the Pioneer's auto calibration. Any suggestions as to how I can improve my sorrounds without having to upgrade them?

thanks,
-Sunil
post #1185 of 6773 Old 01-04-2009, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

There was a thread along the lines of "how come no sound comes out of my surrounds". There are two answers.

First, there just isn't a lot of sound in the surround channel on most soundtracks. From an Atlantic Technology manual.
Quote:

IMPORTANT NOTE: The surround speakers are primarily used to re-create the ambient sounds taking place in the movie scene. Throughout part or even most of a movie, you may not be aware of the surround speakers presence. Do not panic. This is OK. Try to avoid the trap of turning the surrounds up so loud that you hear them all the time. The result will be a much less believable surround sound experience and constant distraction from the prime action taking place on the screen.

Second, the calibration may need to be adjusted to your tastes. Probably better to ask in the Receiver forum about calibrating your receiver. A quick and dirty way to do it is to play the test tone (noise) and listen as it cycles around the speakers, and just adjust the surround volume up. It's usually very easy once you figure out which buttons to press. And adjust the surrounds during a movie to suit that movie.
post #1186 of 6773 Old 01-04-2009, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post

For the person who has the omd 15, do you use the spike feet? My guess is the spike feet is meant for wood floor?

Also, is there a higher chance of the speaker tilting, etc when installed on spike versus non-spike.

I thought you were confident that your toddler would never mess with the speakers?! Maybe adding the spikes and threatening to make a "kid-kabob" out of him if he messes with them is exactly the added incentive he needs to live up to your expectations!

JK, Tony. How are you liking your 15s? Haven't heard you talking about 28s lately, but knowing you ...

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #1187 of 6773 Old 01-04-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Tony

Those spikes are meant to be banged into exspensive wooden floors so that speakers don't topple over................................
.......................................NOT

You can use the spike feet if you desire the speakers to dance along the wooden floor with the music, thereby leaving interesting scratch patterns..........................
.............................................NOT

Spike feet only on carpet

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
post #1188 of 6773 Old 01-04-2009, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

I thought you were confident that your toddler would never mess with the speakers?! Maybe adding the spikes and threatening to make a "kid-kabob" out of him if he messes with them is exactly the added incentive he needs to live up to your expectations!

JK, Tony. How are you liking your 15s? Haven't heard you talking about 28s lately, but knowing you ...

Hey there. I have spent the last 3 or 4 days rearranging the living room, rewired, etc. I even had to tint the windows (tv is now behind the windows) Took forever to assemble the tv console purchased from bestbuy (no time to build). The tv stand only fits the omdc1. So I might keep the omdc1 .

The 15 came with bent grills (very gorgeous speakers), but something that can be fixed.

They sound great. I haven't watched a movie yet, but have listened to Eagles and The Police in concert.

Tony
post #1189 of 6773 Old 01-04-2009, 06:22 PM

Hello everyone, I saw a great deal on Vanns on the Mirage 5 speaker fr 249 (w/o sub - thought I would get a velodyne).. I have never heard the Mirages before nor do I have one today.

Thoughts ? Is this a good deal ? I am looking for small speakers for my bedroom. Is it an overkill for a bedroom ?
post #1190 of 6773 Old 01-04-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafan View Post

Hello everyone, I saw a great deal on Vanns on the Mirage 5 speaker fr 249 (w/o sub - thought I would get a velodyne).. I have never heard the Mirages before nor do I have one today.

Thoughts ? Is this a good deal ? I am looking for small speakers for my bedroom. Is it an overkill for a bedroom ?

It sounds like a great deal to me, as long as your bedroom isn't too large.

I recently got a pair of OMD-5's (also on special at Vann's btw) for my bedroom paired with a cheapie Velodyne sub (room is about 14 X 17 X 8) and I am very satisfied with the sound I am getting there. I wish I had more space to go for a full surround setup, but I don't think the wife would allow that.

I would definitely check it out before buying though, as the sound is a little different than what you would expect from a normal box speaker. Is there a Best Buy with a Magnolia near you? They may still have some on display there. I love the way these sound.
post #1191 of 6773 Old 01-05-2009, 09:26 AM

Well,
My OMD-28's arrived a few minutes ago. I have unpacked them but not set them up yet.
Damn they are big. I returned the 15's and got these and they make the 15 look like their children. These are huge.

I've checked each and they have no issue (these were returned to Vann's). They were packaged perfectly.

The Rosewood is very nice. I loved the black Omd15's but the the Rosewood is shiny and very good looking.

I'll give them a listen later and try to give a review between the 15 and 28's.
post #1192 of 6773 Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvair61 View Post

Well,
My OMD-28's arrived a few minutes ago. I have unpacked them but not set them up yet.
Damn they are big. I returned the 15's and got these and they make the 15 look like their children. These are huge.

I've checked each and they have no issue (these were returned to Vann's). They were packaged perfectly.

The Rosewood is very nice. I loved the black Omd15's but the the Rosewood is shiny and very good looking.

I'll give them a listen later and try to give a review between the 15 and 28's.

Pics please .

tony
post #1193 of 6773 Old 01-05-2009, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anybody have pics? I placed the omdc1 under the bottom shelve, in which half of the speaker is covered up.

I stuck my head in/around the shelve and can hear sound in the back.

Post pics of how you place your center channel.

Should i build a base to lift the tv up so I can place it in front of it? It will be an 3" inch base needed.

tony
post #1194 of 6773 Old 01-05-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Mirage 5

Mirage 5.1?
edit:OMD5?

Frank
post #1195 of 6773 Old 01-05-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Does anybody have pics? I placed the omdc1 under the bottom shelve, in which half of the speaker is covered up.

I stuck my head in/around the shelve and can hear sound in the back.

Post pics of how you place your center channel.

Should i build a base to lift the tv up so I can place it in front of it? It will be an 3" inch base needed.

tony

I haven't done it yet but I plan to either mount the TV on the wall or buy a TV stand that has the ability to get the TV off the top shelf. I would not want to bury my center. Something like I've listed below would do it. Those types of stands allow the TV to be above the stand. You can then use the top shelf for the center speaker.

My room is a mess so no pics forthcoming. There are hundreds of pictures of the Rosewood OMD28 on the web. Mine look the same.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1215217299880
post #1196 of 6773 Old 01-05-2009, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafan View Post

the Mirage 5 speaker fr 249 (w/o sub - thought I would get a velodyne).. I have never heard the Mirages before nor do I have one today.

It's the Nanosat 5.0 set. Good choice, good deal.
post #1197 of 6773 Old 01-05-2009, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvair61 View Post

My room is a mess so no pics forthcoming. There are hundreds of pictures of the Rosewood OMD28 on the web. Mine look the same.

You dare to expose new 28s to a messy room?! I am shocked! Now where in the world did I leave that phone number for the Society for the Prevention of Speaker Abuse?

I hope you at least followed your mother's old advice to always wear clean underwear in case you get in an accident and have to go to the emergency room.

P.S. I'm going to blame Tim Hanian and post #1023 for this sorry state of affairs where people are reluctant to post photos of their set ups. Once Tim posted his Taj Mahal house/set-up that pretty much killed the buzz for the rest of us riff-raff.

Just to show how big I am, here's a photo of my humble abode, even though it's a bit messy:
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/00/0f/8d/1a/taj-mahal.jpg

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #1198 of 6773 Old 01-05-2009, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You dare to expose new 28s to a messy room?! I am shocked! Now where in the world did I leave that phone number for the Society for the Prevention of Speaker Abuse?

I hope you at least followed your mother's old advice to always wear clean underwear in case you get in an accident and have to go to the emergency room.

P.S. I'm going to blame Tim Hanian and post #1023 for this sorry state of affairs where people are reluctant to post photos of their set ups. Once Tim posted his Taj Mahal house/set-up that pretty much killed the buzz for the rest of us riff-raff.

Just to show how big I am, here's a photo of my humble abode, even though it's a bit messy:

You are right. I was going to post my setup but since Tim has out done all of us, it is hard to post anything good .

tony
post #1199 of 6773 Old 01-05-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:

I hope this helps sate the picture fix y'all seem to have.
LL
LL
LL
post #1200 of 6773 Old 01-05-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Sheesh, Corvair, that room is filthy! I wish you wouldn't have posted photos of such a pig-sty!! I don't think I can take much more of this ...

The Un-Theater Un-Build

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page