Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdv5 View Post

Here's a recommendation from Owner's Manual, Page 3:

The OMNI 150 is designed to be used as a front left or right speaker, or as a
rear channel speaker.When installing the OMNI 150 bookshelf speakers to a
wall, there is an insert built into the back of the speaker, located above the input
terminals.The threaded insert is designed specifically for the MIRAGE®
Macromount bracket, which is available from your local authorized MIRAGE®
retailer. Please see diagram 4.

Thanks sdv5. I'm actually looking to place the speaker above head height on the wall, with the binding posts pointing up towards the ceiling and the port pointing downwards. Mirage recommends this orientation for the Omnisat series when mounted above head height on the wall. The way the Macromount is described on the product page, it appears to be designed to affix the Omni 150 to the wall at around listening height, with the same orientation as when placing the speaker on stands. or to suspend the speaker from the ceiling in the orientation I desire. I suppose I could attempt to fix the Macromount to the ceiling and suspend the Omni 150 from it, rather than placing the speaker on the wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 6757 Old 06-27-2007, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Someone here mentioned that Vanns has a sale going on with several of the Omni series. The prices look great, but I am a bit confused as to what the difference is between the OMD5s and the Omni150s. I have a pair of OMD5s that I am using as BL and BR. For the price, I wouldn't mind adding a pair of Omin150s as surround speakers, but it almost sounds (from Mirage's website) that they will sound different. Any ideas?

Tom

Oh - first time poster - thanks!
post #183 of 6757 Old 06-27-2007, 09:52 AM

Here's my observation of the differences:
OMD5:
Poly-Titanium Deposit Hybrid woofer, PTH tweeter.
Sealed cabinet.
175 Watts power handling.
6 Ohms nominal impedance.
Beautiful finish.

Omni 150:
Fiberglass composite woofer, Aluminum dome tweeter.
Ported cabinet.
100 Watts power handling.
8 Ohms nominal impedance.
"Budget" finish.

Also, the OMD5 is half the weight of the Omni 150.
So, apart from the basic Omnipolar design, they appear to be quite different.

Having said that, timbre matching your fronts and surrounds is less critical than timbre-matching your fronts and center, so it might be worth a shot to try them.
post #184 of 6757 Old 06-27-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadRider View Post

I just spent a good forty-five minutes listening to the Nanosats and Omnisats v2. Time was spent listening to a range of music CDs (Mozart, David Sanborn, Yanni, PussyCat Dolls, Kid Rock) both with an S8 in the mix and without. I was just about to pull the trigger on an S8 with 2 Omnisats (the Nanosats left too big of a hole in the lower mids) and then saw this. Since I can't find a shop to listen to the Omni's, can anyone describe the Omni 350 and/or 150 sound in relation to the Omnisats with an S8? Are they worth buying at the risk of dealing with returning them?

Hi folks! My first posting on this board.

I just ordered the 550s from Vanns $199 each. Super deal! They should arrive this Friday. btw Vanns has great service. Fast email response, fast shipping and 15 days to try them and I pay returning shipping if I'm not happy (come on!..$199 each). They shipped out the same day. Free 3 day service. I will post as soon as I give them a good listen, although they will not get their full sound for another 100 hours of play.

I can say this... I own the original full size Omnistats for 3 years now. They just started to get their full range. I picked these for $129 each at a close out sale at Circuit City. I am running them a McIntosh 6100 (70 watts @ 8ohms) and switch them back and forth to a Denon 5.1. They sound super (on the McIntosh amp) and dynamic but lack bass. I also run 8" sub. This only sounds good running the system in 5.1 mode. My intention is NOT to run the sub with the 550s. Keeping them as clean as possible to set the front stage. Owning these made my decision to buy the the 550s alot easier...not to mention all the great input from this board. 8)

I also have a huge room to fill. I live in a loft with 18' ceilings 20'x20' living room and the full size Omnistats fills that up with super clean audio with no problems.

Standby for more...
post #185 of 6757 Old 06-27-2007, 01:12 PM

Has anyone heard the 550 vs the 250?

The 250 has the Pure Titanium Hybrid dome tweeter and Polypropylene Titanium Deposit HyBrid woofers. Where as the 550 has the Fiberglass Composite woofer and Aluminum Dome tweeter.

There is certainly a trade off here. Better material/mids/highs vs better bass. Both made in China.
post #186 of 6757 Old 06-29-2007, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Do the speakers in the new Omni line (550/350/150) really not come with grilles for the top omnidirectional speaker, or is it just that there are no pictures anywhere that show them with it?

audiophiler, those are speakers from two different lines - the 250 is the older line which was a little more upscale. Hard to say, but you seem to have the right general idea of the differences.
post #187 of 6757 Old 06-29-2007, 08:47 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
They come with Grills ... funny, you're right, on their website there are no pics of the grills!

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #188 of 6757 Old 06-29-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks pbc. I don't think Vanns or Crutchfield or the other sellers have any pictures of the grilles either, and the manual (pdf at the Mirage site) didn't seem to mention it. Kind of odd, as I'm sure the approval factor is much higher with the grilles on.

PS, the bottom picture on this page shows some ...

post #189 of 6757 Old 06-29-2007, 08:12 PM

i'm moving into a new place and am planning a surround system for it, the living room is 12 x 16 with 13ft ceilings and i'm wondering if the OMNISAT v2 FS are way too much for this size room or what?
post #190 of 6757 Old 06-29-2007, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc9380 View Post

i'm moving into a new place and am planning a surround system for it, the living room is 12 x 16 with 13ft ceilings and i'm wondering if the OMNISAT v2 FS are way too much for this size room or what?

They should be a pretty good fit.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #191 of 6757 Old 07-05-2007, 10:13 AM

Anyone ordered and received this yet? Looking for any first impressions.

Thanks,
Eric
post #192 of 6757 Old 07-06-2007, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surg3 View Post

Anyone ordered and received this yet? Looking for any first impressions.

Thanks,
Eric

What are you talking about?
post #193 of 6757 Old 07-06-2007, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 8 View Post

What are you talking about?

He's talking about the Omni 150 and Omni 350s that had a deal on them.
I'm very interested in hearing people's impressions too.
post #194 of 6757 Old 07-06-2007, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The 250 has the Pure Titanium Hybrid dome tweeter

...and a fantastic tweeter it is, a benchmark in their line for years. I've owned a few of their speakers and their better stuff has always been quite nice, but I fear that the company is going downmarket now as that is what BB can sell, the little omnisats and nanos, et al.

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #195 of 6757 Old 07-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I was checking out Mirage's new line of Omni speakers. The center speaker for the series is a direct radiating MTM design instead of using the omnipolar "saucer" design.

In all of the other ranges--OM, Omnisat etc--the center speaker has the same omnipolar driver array as the other speakers.

While I think combining a direct radiating center with "omnipolar" mains and surrounds might be a good combination, it seems odd to me that Mirage only offers this in the Omni series.

If they believed there was a best center design, wouldn't they offer it across the board?

Little Loft Home Theater
post #196 of 6757 Old 07-07-2007, 09:06 PM

Funny you asked that. I was just doing a bit of research today and I ran into this:
can't post url yet, but goto bestpriceaudiovideo
and search for athena speakers LS series.
if you look closely at the Athena LS line speakers they appear to use the same driver, same cabinet material as the Mirage Omni. and now look at the center channel speaker. Don't they look similar?

I know Athena and Mirage is basically the same company, and from the sounds of some of the reviews on the Athena thread these LS series speakers seems to be decent sounding, perhaps we could expect the same from the Omni series (w/ a different soundstage).

Sorry my English is not too good.
post #197 of 6757 Old 07-07-2007, 11:04 PM

I bought a Denon AVR-3802 (7.1 system), a pair of Mirage OM-10's, and an OM-C3 back in 2002. I figured that I would get the rears a couple of months later. Five years later, I finally have gotten around to filling out the rear section of my home theater, since I have been using the system more for watching movies than listening to music. However, I've found out that the OM-R2's are no longer in production.

I did find some OMNI-FX's at Vanns for a great price. Would these work with my setup? Would there be any impedance issues, since the OM-10's are 6 ohm speakers (while the omni-fx's are 8 ohms)? Are there any other suggestions for how to fill out the rear of my home theater system? I would like to keep my budget at or below $300. I would be willing to spend a bit more, but the idea of paying $750 retail for the OMD-R's seems a bit ridiculous considering the fact that I only paid $700 for the OM-10 mains.

While we're at it, how important is timbre matching? Is it worth going crazy searching on ebay for those elusive OM-R2's?
post #198 of 6757 Old 07-08-2007, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surg3 View Post

Funny you asked that. I was just doing a bit of research today and I ran into this:
can't post url yet, but goto bestpriceaudiovideo
and search for athena speakers LS series.
if you look closely at the Athena LS line speakers they appear to use the same driver, same cabinet material as the Mirage Omni. and now look at the center channel speaker. Don't they look similar?

I know Athena and Mirage is basically the same company, and from the sounds of some of the reviews on the Athena thread these LS series speakers seems to be decent sounding, perhaps we could expect the same from the Omni series (w/ a different soundstage).

Sorry my English is not too good.

You're right, the Mirage Omni C150 is almost certainly the Athena LS C100 with a Mirage logo on it.

I'm still wondering why Mirage would put a direct radiating speaker into their budget line and not into the other lines. Sort of a mixed message of design philosophy.

And if they are going to use a direct radiating speaker as a center channel, I wish they wouldn't go for a toppled MTM.

Little Loft Home Theater
post #199 of 6757 Old 07-08-2007, 07:31 AM

Hello fellow Mirage lovers, I just posted this thread and was wondering if some of you could suggest other speakers I should consider after being accustomed to my lovely OM6's for so long. Something with a similar feeling but more accurate.
What have you guys gone to, like or feel is comparable???

Thanks so much
post #200 of 6757 Old 07-09-2007, 06:48 AM

What what you guys reccomend.

20x 23 room 60% tv 20% movies 20% music

Mirage Nanosat 5.1 System

or

Omni 550 (2)
Omni 150 Bookshelf (2)
Omni C150
Polk Audio PSW 8" 100watt Sub

The Omni's will take some sweet takling of the wife, but i think i can pull it off.

In everyone's opinion, which system will have a better sound? Please feel free to reccomend any other systems in the $800-1k range.
post #201 of 6757 Old 07-09-2007, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

ekonyk, I posted to your other thread but will respond here as well since you have posed a new question. Without a doubt, the Omni Series package will outperform the NanoSat system in every regard especially in that big of a room. As I indicated in my other post, in my opinion you really need to consider a larger sub with the Omni Series package to really round out what the 550's are already capable of and also to fill a space that big.

"What's better? A great 2D movie or the worst 3D movie?" - Stephen Colbert
post #202 of 6757 Old 07-09-2007, 07:16 AM

TDI, thanks for the reply.....give me 2 or 3 subs that you would reccomend?

How is the Polk Audio PSW404 10" 200-watt ?
post #203 of 6757 Old 07-09-2007, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekonyk View Post

TDI, thanks for the reply.....give me 2 or 3 subs that you would reccomend?

How is the Polk Audio PSW404 10" 200-watt ?

If you can stretch your budget, get a sub from HSU or SVS. They will significantly outperform any Polk Audio sub.

Little Loft Home Theater
post #204 of 6757 Old 07-09-2007, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

ekonyk, I have not heard the Polk PSW404 but from looking at the product page on their website, it appears to be a good product (based on looks and specs alone). A couple subs I have experience with, at a similar price point, that I like are the Klipsch Reference RW-10d and Phase Technology FL-10. The Mirage Omni-S10 is a nice sub as well but I personally prefer the other two. Other subs that get alot of good word around here are from SVS and HSU but I can't comment on them from personal experience (although I did sell a Denon receiver to someone who works at SVS's Ohio facility). Perhaps others will chime in with some suggestions.

Hope this helps.

post #205 of 6757 Old 07-10-2007, 06:43 AM

Hello all,

Boy am I glad I found this thread. There is a lot of information in here.

I have been interested in Mirage speakers for a few months but I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to these things.

Before I begin I just want to say that there is a sale on Mirage speakers at Crutchfield. I just got the e-mail last night from Crutchfiled.

Can someone please suggest what I should buy for my rooms size and shape?

This is my 1st post in here so please be gentle (smile).

I am just starting out on home theater and I need a lot of help.

I need speakers, a subwoofer and the CC. I am interested in a 5.1 surround sound system. My budget is flexible but I would like to keep it around $1,500

I also need a receiver and I am thinking about one of the Onkyo's. It would be great if I can include that in the $1,500 but I doubt it will be possible if I expect any speakers that sound good. So the money for the receiver can be separate.

If it is important I expect to buy one of the new Samsung DLP HDTV with HDMI 1.3

My room is "L" shaped with the largest part being 13" X 21" with 8" ceilings and one open side that measures 10" X 10". So the "L" shape. I am not worried about the sound in the smaller section but I know it needs to be taken into consideration. My interest is divided between music (just about everything except country), movies via cable and regular TV shows. I do like base in my movies.

I will appreciate any help you can offer.

Should I get the Nanosats or the Omnisats?

Should I buy different Mirage speakers and not get the Nanosats or the Omnisats?

8" or 10" subwoofer?

What would you guys recommend?

Jim
post #206 of 6757 Old 07-10-2007, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Welcome to the forum Jim!

I have a similarly sized and laid out room as yours and I would recommend something larger than the Nanos or Omnis. However, if you are set on something smaller and wall mountable, the Omnisats are the best choice out of the two. If you can go larger but still have to wall mount the speakers, the Omni-150s at those sale prices are a steal. They are wall mountable with Mirage's MacrMount bracket (MSRP $49.95 pair).

Honestly I would go with the Omni-350s (or 550's if budget allows), Omni-C150, and Omni-150s with a 10" sub. When you factor in that, with the sale price, the Omni-350 floorstanding speakers are 2-bills less than the Omnisats for the pair, this is a ridiculously good deal.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your purchase.

post #207 of 6757 Old 07-10-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Driver View Post

Welcome to the forum Jim!

I have a similarly sized and laid out room as yours and I would recommend something larger than the Nanos or Omnis. However, if you are set on something smaller and wall mountable, the Omnisats are the best choice out of the two. If you can go larger but still have to wall mount the speakers, the Omni-150s at those sale prices are a steal. They are wall mountable with Mirage's MacrMount bracket (MSRP $49.95 pair).

Honestly I would go with the Omni-350s (or 550's if budget allows), Omni-C150, and Omni-150s with a 10" sub. When you factor in that, with the sale price, the Omni-350 floorstanding speakers are 2-bills less than the Omnisats for the pair, this is a ridiculously good deal.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your purchase.

TDI thank you for the welcome to the forum.

I appreciate the information but I do have some questions about what you said.

I have two problems. One is that I do not even have the HDTV yet and the second problem is that I still need to look at the forum for ORB speakers because they also have good reviews.

I am 90% sure that I will buy Mirage speakers because I love the idea there is **NO** sweet spot and I am sure ORB will have a sweet spot. I don't want to worry over the angle of the speakers or calibrating them.

I need to make up my mind on the speakers within the next couple of days because this sale is only for this week.

I don't mind buying the speakers before getting the HDTV but that means I will not have a way to test them out except for the Toshiba TV that I own now. I don't even have the amp or the AVR yet.

I do though want to take advantage of this sale if these speakers are right for me. I listened to some Nanosats and I liked the sound of those so I imagine I will **LOVE** these larger speakers.

I was originally thinking of having the speakers mounted on the wall as close to the ceiling as possible. BUT, and this is a big but. I am lucky enough to live alone so there is no WAF to think about. ( insert large smile here ). So I can have the floor standing speakers and it will not be a problem.

I looked at the measurements and the 550's would work fine in my place. There will be a lamp shade in front of the L&R read speakers but it will be 18" in front of the speakers so that should not be any problem.

The cost is within my budget because I can hold off on getting the AVR for awhile. Remember I will not even buy the HDTV for a few more months.

So buy speakers now because of this great sale.

TDI, all that being said here are my questions to you.

1. I looked at the speakers and if I understand them correctly the 550's and the 350's do not need a subwoffer. All they need is a center channel. Is that right?

2. Are you suggesting that I buy 4 of the 550's with a center speaker? Or would you suggest a different combination of speakers?

3. What combination of speakers would you buy would you buy if you had around $1,500 to spend?

Would you buy four 550's and a CC or two 550's and two 350's and a CC or either of those with 150's as surround speakers?

4, If I get the 150's as surrounds do I need the 10" subwoffer?

There are a lot of action movies that demand a lot of base and I would hate to miss out on that effect.

5. Last question ( for now at least LOL ) is no matter what Mirage speakers I buy even if I buy four 550's should I also get the 10" sub?

TDI, you are extremely knowledgeable about this and I am completely stupid on this subject, but I am willing to learn.

We have the same size and shaped room to take into consideration so if the $1,500 were yours to spend on your place what set up would you buy?

Again, my interest is music 50%, regular TV 30% and movies 20%.

Sorry to have so many questions but if I add up the cost of the HDTV, speakers and the AVR that can take advantage of HDMI 1.3 the total cost comes to around $4,000 or more and I just want to make sure after I buy the speakers I do not say, "GEE" I wish I had bought something better.

Thank you for all of the help.

Jim

PS:

These questions are directed to TDI but I welcome input from everyone in this forum.
post #208 of 6757 Old 07-10-2007, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftkell View Post

I'm still wondering why Mirage would put a direct radiating speaker into their budget line and not into the other lines. Sort of a mixed message of design philosophy.

And if they are going to use a direct radiating speaker as a center channel, I wish they wouldn't go for a toppled MTM.

FWIW they have in the past had more conventional direct radiating designs meant to be used inside cabinets/shelves (OMC3) and omnipolar designs (OMC2). IMO some people need one, some the other, helps to offer both.
post #209 of 6757 Old 07-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Jim, I sent you a PM. TDI

post #210 of 6757 Old 07-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

I got to listen to the 550's today at best buy and they simply blew my wife and I away. We were looking at PSB M2's and Dali Mentor 2's before the Mirages and now we can't justify spending 5 times the money on them (Crutchfield and Vanns has them for $399/pair so we picked up a pair). Now we are considering going 550's all around L/R/Rears but we couldn't get to listen to the omni center. As far as amplification TDI would you suggest we got for separates to power them? If we would have bought the PSB speakers I was going to get a Crown 402D 2ch amp to power them along with either an Onkyo 805 or I was going to wait for the new 1.3 Denons to come out. The sales guy at the store said that if we used a separate amp they would really come alive.

Would you recommend using a Crown 402D amp or any other pro amp with the 550's TDI?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page