Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 31565 Old 04-19-2006, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz523 View Post

Where do you live? If you are in my territory (NY Metro), I can help you.
Adam

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie. Recently purchased a Panasonic 50" plasma and now I'm researching home theater sound systems. I purchased a pr of DefTech Pro Monitor 80's for the rear channel and now I am looking for a receiver, sub and a mythos solo. Has anyone heard the Solo? Opinions? I'm Open to suggestions...please advise. Thanks!

Marc

BTW...I'm in Westchester County, NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 31565 Old 04-19-2006, 10:33 PM

I recently went to Sound Connections in San Gabriel, Ca to hear a Def Tech Mythos system I was told was set up there. I got there and no Def Tech Mythos were up.
I spotted a Mythos Solo laying on a table under a TV and asked to hear it. After some grumbling about having to hook it up, he played some music for me. I was unempressed. Okay but not great. However, I must say it was a lousy demo and I wouldn't judge the speaker by it. Ordered some anyway. Not from them. I am weary of those kind of sales people, won't give them my business. JP
post #273 of 31565 Old 04-19-2006, 10:39 PM

You might want to look at the latest Perfect Vision. I just got an email copy. They did a receiver review that has some really nice things said about several models. I put a premium on Music and the Integra 6.6, Marantz (forgot the number) and Rotel 1067 all got raves on music quality. The Rotel judged best by a point.
The magazine indicates a future review of the Yamaha RX-V659 I just bought. I'm interested to see if they give it the rave the 657 got.
post #274 of 31565 Old 04-20-2006, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I agree the Solo is a little un-eventful due to its cconstrants, IE the separation between channels is so small its like one LONG center speaker.

If I were you consider waiting a bit, esp if you liked the Pro Cinema 80 cause the ProCinema 800 and 1000 are due out in a not too distant future.

They added the Passive radiator technology to the current ProCinema80 and 100.

Passive Radiator
Tweeter
Woofer

The subs are now ProSub 800 and 1000 and 300w RMS Digital Amp

PS800 = 8in with passive down firing which should put this sub into the 17Hz range

PS1000 = 10in with down firing passive and will be closer to 16Hz and lower.

This from what I am told by people that visted their booth a CES that it has much stronger mid/bass definition and blends alot smoother to the subwoofer.

EDIT: Can be seen HERE

~Bob
post #275 of 31565 Old 04-20-2006, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz523 View Post

Hi Guys,

Faithful Owner and Dealer/Installer for Definitive Technology in the NY Metro area. I have in my showroom:
BP7000SCs
CLR3000
BPVX/P - Side Surrounds
BPVX - Rear Surrounds

Simply amazing is all I can say especially the 4 BPVXs for the surrounds -- that's 16 6.5 inch drivers for full surround sound immerision!! Stop by for a demo if you are ever in the area!

Where are you located...I am interested in coming in for a listen. Thanks.

Marc
post #276 of 31565 Old 04-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

What is your 2 channel rig?

it was in the sig...vandersteen, bryston (transparent, CAL, linn). exceptional, not exorbitant!

dookie
post #277 of 31565 Old 04-24-2006, 07:49 PM

Soon to be new owner of a set of mythos. I placed the order and waiting for the arrival. I need some help on where to find stands for the GEMS. I saw the standard stand from Magnolia, but it was a too short.

Here's what I bought:
Mythos 3 for my center.
Pair of Mythos 1 for my fronts.
2 pairs of GEMS for my surrounds.
VA Subson for my Sub
AVR4306 for my Receiver

Waiting to see what happens when more TVs are released this summer before I buy.

This is my first real attempt at making a nice HT setup. My previous was a Sony Dreamsystem 9 with a 40"XBR from a few years back.
post #278 of 31565 Old 04-24-2006, 08:31 PM

Definitive Tech Stands didn't work for you?
post #279 of 31565 Old 04-25-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiggins View Post

Definitive Tech Stands didn't work for you?

It was too short and not adjustable.
post #280 of 31565 Old 04-25-2006, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm in the middle of my HT build and narrowing down my speaker selection. I listened to Def Tech BP7006 Front L&R, CLR2002 center, and BP2X side surrounds......sounded great and bass was good even without separate LFE on the BP7006.

If I go with the above will need rear in-ceiling speakers so probaly the UIW 64/A - has any one used these?

My room is approx 300 sq ft - and likly additional equipment is Denon AVR 3806, Oppo 971H an Infocus BIG76.

Will the Def Tech listed be sufficient for this room?

Where is best place to purchase - nearby dealers are Magnolia and MyerEmco.

Thanks.
Mark

=====================================

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
index on 1st post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #281 of 31565 Old 04-25-2006, 10:31 PM

Liked: 11
I have the ProCinema 60. It's a great system for its size, but I'm not so sure about the numbers DefTech gives it.

DefTech rates the Prosub 60 down to 23 Hz. I fed some test tones to it and I can't feel or hear anything below 40 Hz, even right in front of the sub. If I turn the level up, it's certainly moving lots of air: I can hear the turbluence at the port. Bass above 40 Hz at that level is deafening and literally shakes the room.

So, now that everything has had time to break in, I'm trying to get this system tuned. Is DefTech honest with their specs? Or, how many dB is that sub down at 23Hz?

For comparison, take the Micra 6 I was considering: Specs say bass extension to 30Hz, and it was tested and shown to be -6dB at 29Hz. -6dB is pretty far down. You think DefTech is being just as liberal with their numbers? I'm not expecting flat 20Hz out of an 8" sub, but I shouldn't I have some output at 30Hz? I've tried corner placement as well and got nothing.

Last question: Where should have I have the crossover set? Published specs for the sats are 70Hz-20kHz. DefTech recommends 80-100Hz, right now it's at 80Hz.

Thanks!

"Real Stupidiy beats Artificial Intelligence every time" - Douglas Adams

The canine couch warmers: Dakota "Derp Dog" Jones, Gadget (the gidget widget), Dixie Marie-Doodle, Ronnie James, and Carl
The feline overlords: My wife, a.k.a. "Kitten", Sweet Pea, The Poof, Fat Tony, and David "Babycat" Tennant.
post #282 of 31565 Old 04-26-2006, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Your sub is tuned to 25Hz and I imagine that it can play that low, but not with tremendous authority.

If you want more, Wait and few months from now the ProSub 800 and 1000 are due out. These will be 300w RMS Digital Amps and a downfiring passive radiator. IIRC the PS800 is capable of 17Hz like my towers, so it uses the same Vifa 8in and all. I have tested my Towers to 10Hz at 78dB with Radioshack Digital SPL A Weighted/Fast and have hit close to 95dB at 20Hz.

For the sats run a sweep of 20-200Hz if there is a significant Dip in volume you need to se the crossover higher.

~Bob
post #283 of 31565 Old 04-26-2006, 04:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
Just completed re-doing my home theater. Initially I was going to just replace my JBL speakers with newer models, but then thought, screw that, if I'm going to invest the money, I'm going to get a great system. Through much research (plus some experience in the past), I decided on Definitive Technology as my speakers. As all of you on this thread know, they're hard to beat for the money, although with the bipolars you either love them or hate them. Anyway, since I live in the middle of nowhere (Rushville, IL), the closest high-end AV dealer is >75 miles away, and I take care of my two daughters who are both under 2 1/2 years old, I took some risks and purchased my entire system on the internet. I got a used pair of BP10b's off eBay, a new (but through a liquidator) pair of BPX surrounds from audiophileliquidator, a used CLR 2300 off eBay, and a gently used SuperCube II off eBay. I'm happy to say that they all came as advertised, fully functional, and all I can say is WOW! I thought what I had before was enjoyable, now all I want to do is watch all my DVDs again. I literally had no idea what I was missing before. Of course, with speakers of this quality, I had to upgrade the receiver. While I would have loved to go with separates, I don't have the space, so I went with an Onkyo TX-SR703 from 6th Avenue (authorized Onkyo dealer) to replace my Yamaha RX-V630 (now relegated to the basement system). Night and day difference. Now if my wife will just stop telling me to turn it down during a movie!

Added to above: I also need to mention that my huge love of music has been greatly enhanced by this system. Because of my daughters, I've ripped my entire CD collection (approx. 1000 CDs) into MP3s. I play the files, encoded between 128 kbps and 320 kbps, from two sources; an iPod photo (analog, but easier to compile playlists), and a Lacie Screenplay Multimedia HDD (coax. optical, but slow and clunky). With my old yamaha/JBLs, the difference between sources was gigantic, but even the Lacie was vastly inferior in sound quality vs. CD. Anyway, even playing MP3s through the iPod now sounds fantastic. I'm currently re-ripping all the CDs into 320 kbps to the Lacie, because I seriously cannot tell the difference anymore between that and the CD original running through the Onkyo and the Def Techs. And yes, obviously this will be a long-term project since I only get about 3-4 hours/day of naptime/evenings to do this, and yes, I am definitely going to copy two separate backups on other external hard drives. I am NOT copying all these CDs again.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #284 of 31565 Old 04-26-2006, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Good to see a good family man enjoy his hobby. Glad you like your def techs. I see you shopped around! Just crank it up till you cant hear the wife

post #285 of 31565 Old 04-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCoyote View Post

I have the ProCinema 60. It's a great system for its size, but I'm not so sure about the numbers DefTech gives it.

Amen. Despite the good sound that DefTech speakers put out, the low frequency response numbers they announce in their ads (in exceptionally large type) for their subwoofers and powered towers has always been suspect. My PF1500 is supposedly good to 13Hz. My buddy's PF1800 good to 10Hz! Humbug. Maybe at down 30dB.

I find it sad that an otherwise respectable company feels that it has to resort to such hyperbole, exaggeration, and deceit in order to sell its speakers.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #286 of 31565 Old 04-26-2006, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Has anyone paired the Mythos speakers with the BP surrounds (e.g. BP2X)? Would these match well or would you recommend the Gems as surrounds instead? This will be a 5.1 configuration with the surrounds a little behind and to the sides of the seating position.
post #287 of 31565 Old 04-26-2006, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

GLBRight, what materials/medium have you used to prove that your speakers aren't otherwise capable of what Definitives specs say. BTW Need I remind all that FCC requires -10dB Specs to be posted and that according to Definitives reps over the phone is what they follow.

~Bob
post #288 of 31565 Old 04-26-2006, 09:16 PM

I just discovered this thread. I posted this in the wrong place

hi Gang, I have a 6.1 set up of Def Tech speakers (2000 series I believe). They our being run off of Outlaw equipment. I listen to alot of dvd-A and SACD from the top of the line Denon.

2 quick questions:

1) Are anyone out there still bi- tri wiring these? If so, what confirguations do you prefer. I currently have one speaker cable going to each of the front three speakers with jumbpers for med to high, and an RCA for the Subs. i don't think I am getting the full benefits of the speakers???

2) I want to re-wire the front speakers. What on line vendor(s) do you guys go to for moderate priced speaker cables. I don't want to go nutz, but I want to purchase quality

3)Has anyone have experience with Blue Jeans Cables
post #289 of 31565 Old 04-26-2006, 09:58 PM

mbotvinick,

I experimented with bi-wiring and found no difference in sound and I think most other people will agree if you see other posts in this area.

I have bought several times off of Blue Jean Cables and have no complaints in the quality of their cables except for the one time a cable was not all the way into the RCA connector (not their fault but the idiot doing the work of installing (me)). I got their 12 AWG wire in the white sheath and have all my speakers wired with it. Blends in with the white walls and the extremely light brown carpet. Previous speaker wire was 10 AWG and can not tell any difference in sound. Same with their other cables I bought, no degradation and in one case the sound improved. I think I had a bad cable that was there before. Their stuff is not pricey and I like that.
post #290 of 31565 Old 04-27-2006, 12:22 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by khellandros66 View Post

all that FCC requires -10dB Specs to be posted and that according to Definitives reps over the phone is what they follow.
~Bob

I'm not surprised FTC only requires +/-10dB (and let's not even get started with power ratings). From what I've read, when it comes to sub-bass -10dB is going to be barely audible, and -10dB at 70Hz means "set your crossover for 100Hz"

Let me just say that kind of fast and loose with the numbers makes me feel a little less sure about my choice here. Honestly, I probably would have ended up with Micras had BB/Magnolia not "permanently backordered" them. I would have never considered the PC60, because it was quite a bit more.

I can't find much on the PC60s at all. No graphs or independent tests anywhere. Everyone seems to like the Micras. I've listened to the Micras but I never did get a chance to properly A/B them with the PC60. I see most people who recommended the ProCinemas are talking about the PC80/100. Don't get me wrong, I love the PC60s... but as much as I've educated myself, I don't trust my own ears. This thread might be the wrong place to ask, but would the Micras have give me the same performance as the PC60s?

"Real Stupidiy beats Artificial Intelligence every time" - Douglas Adams

The canine couch warmers: Dakota "Derp Dog" Jones, Gadget (the gidget widget), Dixie Marie-Doodle, Ronnie James, and Carl
The feline overlords: My wife, a.k.a. "Kitten", Sweet Pea, The Poof, Fat Tony, and David "Babycat" Tennant.
post #291 of 31565 Old 04-27-2006, 08:18 AM

Thank You Casey10s! Are you running only one pair of speaker wires and using the jumpers for all three, or are you running a seperate RCA for the sub?
post #292 of 31565 Old 04-27-2006, 10:16 AM

mbotvnick,

I set my speakers to large on my pre-amp. I run a set of wires from my amp to the normal + and - on the speakers. For the front 2 speakers, my pre-amp has 2 LFE outputs which I run separately to each of the front speakers.

A piece of information, don't get too tricky by trying to outsmart the speakers and the pre-amp with fancy settings. Use the most basic set-up you can that gives you the best sound. Anything complicated seems to detoriate the sound to some extent.

My set-up is:
BP7001sc's up front
CLR3000
BP2004's as my surround
Anthem AVM20 with latest software
Parasound Halo A52 amp
post #293 of 31565 Old 04-27-2006, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Recommendation needed. My current setup is BP2006TL fronts, CL2300 Center and 4 BPX surrounds. I'm toying with upgrading my 2006's to 7002's or 7001's. Or, do you think if I went with a Super Cube Reference I'd be in pretty good shape with what I have?
post #294 of 31565 Old 04-27-2006, 11:21 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhjr34 View Post

Recommendation needed. My current setup is BP2006TL fronts, CL2300 Center and 4 BPX surrounds. I'm toying with upgrading my 2006's to 7002's or 7001's. Or, do you think if I went with a Super Cube Reference I'd be in pretty good shape with what I have?

I think you are already in much better than pretty good shape with what you have. That is one fine system.
post #295 of 31565 Old 04-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah I do love what I have. Just want deeper bass out of my system. Didn't know if I'd be better off just adding a Supercube to do that, or upgrading the fronts to the 7002 or 7001's? Adding the supercube would obviously be the cheapest route, but don't know. Just wondered if it would be almost as effective as changing out the fronts to larger ones?
post #296 of 31565 Old 04-27-2006, 06:31 PM

Casey, Thank you. I will use jumpers for the mid-high and the preamp sub outputs (from my Outlaw) to the LFE on my three front speakers. i already have them all set on Large.

rlhj34,
Have you considered putting the supercube in the rear of your HT? I have a rear sub with 2002 and CLR3000 in front. Plenty of bass all around. That would be allot more cost effective as well.
post #297 of 31565 Old 04-28-2006, 05:53 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhjr34 View Post

Yeah I do love what I have. Just want deeper bass out of my system. Didn't know if I'd be better off just adding a Supercube to do that, or upgrading the fronts to the 7002 or 7001's? Adding the supercube would obviously be the cheapest route, but don't know. Just wondered if it would be almost as effective as changing out the fronts to larger ones?

The supercube should do it. I would only upgrade the mains if you hear improvement in other areas than bass (clarity, imaging, etc.). I doubt this, because to me all Def Tech bipolar towers have the same (excellent) sound except for the bass.
post #298 of 31565 Old 04-28-2006, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbotvinick View Post

rlhj34,
Have you considered putting the supercube in the rear of your HT? I have a rear sub with 2002 and CLR3000 in front. Plenty of bass all around. That would be allot more cost effective as well.

Hadn't thought of that idea. My room is pretty small and my chairs are up against the back wall. It would have to be in the rear corner of my room. It would be an easier hookup for me, as my equipment rack would be above it. I didn't pre-wire my room for a sub like I should have. I assumed that with my room size and the 2006's my bass would be sufficient for me. Then again I forgot about the dreaded upgrade bug!
post #299 of 31565 Old 04-28-2006, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

While I like the supercube (I owned the Supercube I) you might want to see if you can pick up a used Sunfire True Sub. These are very small but pump out the low extremes with no effort. I own BP7004TLs with a 2500 CLR and this tiny sub fills my 4500 cu.ft. room with ground shaking bass like the Supercube never could. They measure about 11" square and can be picked up on ebay for approx. $600 to $700.

I should mention that this sub is small, very heavy, a little on the ugly side but truly does pack a whollop. I have my sub turned up only 20 % on the dial and it literally used to walk across the room when watching Master & Commander. I fixed this by placing the sub on an antivibration pad so that it now stays put.
post #300 of 31565 Old 04-28-2006, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Well, actually I'm considering the Supercube Reference. Have you had an experience with that one? I heard the SC1 at Magnolia and thought it rocked pretty well. I did a demo with the new 7006's to get a close comparison to what I have. I really liked the SC1 but am curious as to how much better the reference is over that.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page