Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post

I finally received my Mythos ST Supertowers this weekend and let me start off
by saying they are well worth the money.

These speakers sound incredible, and imho they sound just as good as the
7002's, if not better. Don't be fooled by their slim and sleek design because
at 70lbs each they can be a handful to move around. The build quality is
superb and the granite base adds a nice touch of class.

Def. Tech. claims a break in period of 40 to 60 hours of normal playing to
reach full performance capability but they sounded extraordinary right out
of the box.

Most of my listening is 5.1 home theater, so I had to hear how these
babies handled Dolby True HD from the The Matrix. The two ST's were
mated with an Infinity TSS4000 center and two matching Infinity surrounds
and an SVS 20-39pci sub.

The Infinity's had a hard time keeping up with ST's, so Mythos all around
would probably be a better match but it sounded terrific nonetheless.

I am patiently waiting for the Mythos Ten center speaker to be released which
is supposed to be a perfect match for the ST's. and at least match the front
soundstage.

I picked these Mythos ST's up from Adz523(Next Level Audio & Video) from this forum who is a
Def. Tech. dealer in the New York area and who saved me a pretty penny also.
I want to thank him for giving me a tour of his theater room and showing me
a demo which was very impressive. The Def. Tech. Trinity sub he was using
in his room was amazing it was one of the best subs I have ever heard, deep
and powerful.

Mike, you are quite welcome. Nice to finally meet you. The STs are a sonic marvel. To my ears it doesn't sound like a Mythos speaker. Its closer to the Bi-polar super towers, but it kinda has its own unique qualities about it while retaining that signature Def Tech sound we all love. The Trinity is the best $3,000 (list price) and under subwoofer I've ever had in my home theater showroom. In fact, in my room, it has, without a doubt, more percussive slam than my Velodyne DD18 which costs 66% more, and that's a huge statement.

Adz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 31472 Old 07-28-2007, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

No piano... but, my accoustic guitar sits on a stand about 10' away from my sub. If I'm "shaking the house" with SW output, during the quiet passages, I can hear the harmonic vibration from the guitar strings.

I'd think that placing a sub under the piano would be a bad idea.

I agree completely! There are may be many things in your room that resonate at their natural frequency. A good way to test is with one of the buzz and rattle tests available. Set your sub at normal listening levels and play the test. I had to go back and either move, isolate, or cover a lot of things in my theater to stop the vibrations. Some of the things I would never have thought of, like my popcorn machine doors! Any stringed instrument would definitely vibrate with a sub in the room.
post #3033 of 31472 Old 07-28-2007, 06:40 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon1080p View Post

Agreed. You said in an earlier post to take the manufacturers specs with a huge grain of salt. This 'guide' falls into the same category.

Gordon

of course it does, that's why i said it

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #3034 of 31472 Old 07-28-2007, 08:51 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz523 View Post

The Trinity is the best $3,000 (list price) and under subwoofer I've ever had in my home theater showroom. In fact, in my room, it has, without a doubt, more percussive slam than my Velodyne DD18 which costs 66% more, and that's a huge statement.

and i want 4 of them

i think my theater room need bracing just like the insides of a good subwoofer, LOL

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #3035 of 31472 Old 07-28-2007, 08:54 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakpakva View Post

I agree completely! There are may be many things in your room that resonate at their natural frequency. A good way to test is with one of the buzz and rattle tests available. Set your sub at normal listening levels and play the test. I had to go back and either move, isolate, or cover a lot of things in my theater to stop the vibrations. Some of the things I would never have thought of, like my popcorn machine doors! Any stringed instrument would definitely vibrate with a sub in the room.

can i have some popcorn?

how's that new 3000 working out? you got it all tweeked out yet?

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #3036 of 31472 Old 07-28-2007, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

can i have some popcorn?

how's that new 3000 working out? you got it all tweeked out yet?

I was in Kayseri, Turkey for a week, just got back last night. No tweaking this week. It is as good as it is going to get until I get my second sub back from DT. It probably wasn't worth fixing for $180, but they called me when I was boarding the plane and I just said go ahead with the repairs. Should have it back in a couple weeks and then I will go through everything again.

Waiting on the release of 300 so I can give it a good workout. I tried it with the phantom center and with the CLR3000. Definitely prefer the CLR 3000. Just seems to place the dialog better from different seating positions.

One thing I did notice, is that NiN's HD DVD rocks with this center!

Always plenty of popcorn if you ever get into the DC area!
post #3037 of 31472 Old 07-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
"I am patiently waiting for the Mythos Ten center speaker to be released which
is supposed to be a perfect match for the ST's. and at least match the front
soundstage."

Petmic10: Where did you hear that Def Tech was releasing a Mythos 10 Center channel and, if you know, when is the release date? I also recently purchased the ST Towers and complimented them with a Trinity sub. A matching center channel would be ideal.
post #3038 of 31472 Old 07-28-2007, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Originally posted by bslep:
Petmic10: Where did you hear that Def Tech was releasing a Mythos 10 Center channel and, if you know, when is the release date? I also recently purchased the ST Towers and complimented them with a Trinity sub. A matching center channel would be ideal.

Petmic10 can give you his response, but I talked to a Def Tech rep at my local store in San Antonio about 2-months ago. He said the Mythos 10 was going to be introduced at CEDIA.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #3039 of 31472 Old 07-28-2007, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow I haven't been around mostly enjoying what I have and here this thread is now over 3000 posts 102 pages and 136,600+ views

This is amazing support, and I am ecstatic at its growth and support.

Thank you all for making this humble owner feel less alone in his faith and choice in a great brand!!

~Bobby
post #3040 of 31472 Old 07-28-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldchld22 View Post

i do i only worry because i wouldn't know what to do with the extra 350 since they come in pairs. the next thing i do want to do is upgrade the center if that mythos center is in the works.

hey what do you guys think about me upgrading my procenter1000 with GASP not another 350 but a pro monitor 1000 bookshelf. if you guys saw my setup you saw i had the height. or sould i go with a gem xl standing tall in the middle? think any of those would do better center duties?

i can't get teh procenter 2000 around here and the other centers won't sit on my shelf underneath my tv. plus with a pair of 350's i have an extra speaker i don't know what to do with.
post #3041 of 31472 Old 07-29-2007, 12:48 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

your def tech dealer should be able to order you a single 350

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #3042 of 31472 Old 07-29-2007, 01:49 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

damn, your system looks so perfect for a 3rd 350 in the front

it would be such a shame if you couldn't get one

there has to be a way to get your hands on one without buying the pair

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #3043 of 31472 Old 07-29-2007, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

Petmic10 can give you his response, but I talked to a Def Tech rep at my local store in San Antonio about 2-months ago. He said the Mythos 10 was going to be introduced at CEDIA.

Thanks. That is good news.
post #3044 of 31472 Old 07-29-2007, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

and i want 4 of them

i think my theater room need bracing just like the insides of a good subwoofer, LOL

I'd love to lay down 4 of them positioned on their back against the back wall of a dedicated home theater (one from each corner and two centered), handling just the LFE track. Put in War of the Worlds (WOTW), and run.

Adz
post #3045 of 31472 Old 07-29-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Originally posted by wldchld22:
hey what do you guys think about me upgrading my procenter1000 with GASP not another 350 but a pro monitor 1000 bookshelf. if you guys saw my setup you saw i had the height. or sould i go with a gem xl standing tall in the middle? think any of those would do better center duties?

i can't get teh procenter 2000 around here and the other centers won't sit on my shelf underneath my tv. plus with a pair of 350's i have an extra speaker i don't know what to do with.

I think you have a couple of options. I have owned the 350s and ran them in phantom center mode. They image so well I really don't think you would notice missing the center speaker considering the distance between the 350s. I think you would agree the 3 way sound of the 350s are superior to the PC1000 and probably even a PC2000. I you must have a center, I would go with another 350.

Again I want to emphasize giving them a try in phantom center considering the L/R fronts distance from each other. I ran mine on the side of my 50" TV about 5' apart and they sounded great. I upgraded to a pair of used BP2006s and bought a CLR2300. I thought it was an upgrade, but the 2, 350s in phantom center were much better than the 2300. I now have the 2006s about 8'-9' apart so the 2300 ties them together better, but I do miss the clearer dialoge from the 350s. Just give it a try and toe them in very slightly towards the center of the listening position. I bet you won't miss the PC1000.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #3046 of 31472 Old 07-29-2007, 09:24 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

I think you have a couple of options. I have owned the 350s and ran them in phantom center mode. They image so well I really don't think you would notice missing the center speaker considering the distance between the 350s. I think you would agree the 3 way sound of the 350s are superior to the PC1000 and probably even a PC2000. I you must have a center, I would go with another 350.

Again I want to emphasize giving them a try in phantom center considering the L/R fronts distance from each other. I ran mine on the side of my 50" TV about 5' apart and they sounded great. I upgraded to a pair of used BP2006s and bought a CLR2300. I thought it was an upgrade, but the 2, 350s in phantom center were much better than the 2300. I now have the 2006s about 8'-9' apart so the 2300 ties them together better, but I do miss the clearer dialoge from the 350s. Just give it a try and toe them in very slightly towards the center of the listening position. I bet you won't miss the PC1000.

i highly recommend trying a phantom center

it's free and can't hurt

try it

move your 350's apart from each other just a few inches and toe them in

point the left tweeter toward your right ear and the right tweeter toward your left ear. play around with placement

i use the phantom center a lot and love it and the best part is it's FREE

if you must go with a center, i highly recommend going with a 3rd 350

like i said in an earlier post, you should be able to order a single 350 from your def tech dealer. if not, you could always sell the extra one on ebay or tuck it away, you never know, you might want to run 3 more across the rear someday

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #3047 of 31472 Old 07-29-2007, 09:29 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd love to lay down 4 of them positioned on their back against the back wall of a dedicated home theater (one from each corner and two centered), handling just the LFE track. Put in War of the Worlds (WOTW), and run.

i see you're bass crazy like me

the problem with laying them down would be you'd be laying them down on 2 of their passive radiators and i don't think you could lay them on their backs because of the wires and controls. the trinity's have 2 passive radiators on each side and 2 forward firing active drivers

the way i would like to do it is to have 2 on the front left and 2 on the front right and have them stacked on top of each other

when you stack 2 subwoofers, the 2 subwoofers couple together and give you about 6 db more output

when you put one sub on each side of the room in a "stereo" sub type set-up, you're not getting much extra output but you are getting a much smoother, even frequency response throughout the room and if placed right, can help to eliminate peaks and dips in the frequency curve

when you use 2 subs on each side, you're getting your increased output and frequency smoothness, you're getting your cake and eating it too

if you want even more output, put 4 subs on each side and so on

i currently have 6 powerfields on my LFE channel. i'm looking to pick up 2 more so that i can have 4 on each side of the room, 2 stacked on top of 2 forward firing from the front of the room, 4 on the left and 4 on the right

however, since my subs are now a decade old, i'm toying with the idea of getting all new ones. subwoofer technology has come a long way in the last 10 years and subs are now going louder and lower than they used to and movie soundtracks seem to keep going lower and lower on the LFE channel

so, i might keep what i got and add 2 more, i might get all new subs (right now i'm looking at the trinity, the JL fathoms, and a few others) or, i might go DIY and have something really sick built

if i have something sick built, it will be something along the lines of using 16 TC sounds LMS-5400's in sealed boxes or 8 of them with 16 passive radiators

i'm still up in the air about sealed vs. ported. everything i ever read about subwoofers (10 years ago) said that sealed enclosures give you the best possible sound quality but now i've been hearing that there's no difference and that going with a sealed box, you're wasting output and extension. i don't know, i'm still researching it all and there seem to be strong opinions from both camps

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #3048 of 31472 Old 07-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i see you're bass crazy like me

the problem with laying them down would be you'd be laying them down on 2 of their passive radiators and i don't think you could lay them on their backs because of the wires and controls. the trinity's have 2 passive radiators on each side and 2 forward firing active drivers

the way i would like to do it is to have 2 on the front left and 2 on the front right and have them stacked on top of each other

when you stack 2 subwoofers, the 2 subwoofers couple together and give you about 6 db more output

when you put one sub on each side of the room in a "stereo" sub type set-up, you're not getting much extra output but you are getting a much smoother, even frequency response throughout the room and if placed right, can help to eliminate peaks and dips in the frequency curve

when you use 2 subs on each side, you're getting your increased output and frequency smoothness, you're getting your cake and eating it too

if you want even more output, put 4 subs on each side and so on

i currently have 6 powerfields on my LFE channel. i'm looking to pick up 2 more so that i can have 4 on each side of the room, 2 stacked on top of 2 forward firing from the front of the room, 4 on the left and 4 on the right

however, since my subs are now a decade old, i'm toying with the idea of getting all new ones. subwoofer technology has come a long way in the last 10 years and subs are now going louder and lower than they used to and movie soundtracks seem to keep going lower and lower on the LFE channel

so, i might keep what i got and add 2 more, i might get all new subs (right now i'm looking at the trinity, the JL fathoms, and a few others) or, i might go DIY and have something really sick built

if i have something sick built, it will be something along the lines of using 16 TC sounds LMS-5400's in sealed boxes or 8 of them with 16 passive radiators

i'm still up in the air about sealed vs. ported. everything i ever read about subwoofers (10 years ago) said that sealed enclosures give you the best possible sound quality but now i've been hearing that there's no difference and that going with a sealed box, you're wasting output and extension. i don't know, i'm still researching it all and there seem to be strong opinions from both camps

Actually I'm fine with one Trinity handling LFE. I meant if you were going to go with four, I would love to hear them all laying on their side in the back of a room. You actually can lay the Trinity on its side, woofer facing out towards the room. It requires some custom work (i.e., girders) to slightly raise the passive radiator off the floor (it only needs a couple of inches of clearance), but its doable, and could sound fantastic.

In my Def Tech room, I run my 7000SC front soundstage as full range/no LFE, with the Trinity handling the LFE in the back corner. In my Triad Room, I run my InRoom Platinums as small/xover of 80Hz with stereo left and right Platinum 18" subwoofers to make the front soundstage full range (again with the Trinity handling the LFE).

Remember most technology advances in speakers/subwoofers are simply trying to get around Hoffman's Iron Law which states that one can choose only two of three variables in a speaker design: 1. efficiency, 2. box size, and 3. playing very low; Getting around it by using passive Radiators and other ported designs which still result in increased distortion and accuracy.

(Copied from web article). Hoffman's Iron Law states that the efficiency of a woofer system is directly proportional to its cabinet volume and the cube of its cutoff frequency (the lowest frequency it can usefully reproduce). The obvious implication is that to reduce the cutoff frequency by a factor of two, e.g. from 40 Hz to 20 Hz, while still retaining the same system efficiency, you need to increase the enclosure volume by 2 cubed, or 8 times! In other words, to reproduce ever lower frequencies at the same output level you need an extremely large box!

However, box size isn't the only variable. You can continue to use a small box by accepting a much lower efficiency. In order to retain the same sound pressure level (SPL, meaured in dB's), though, this requires both a very large amplifier and a driver that can handle a lot of power and move a lot of air (requiring high excursions). Furthermore, it must be able to do so with minimal distortion.

So, low-frequency capability, box size, and efficiency form the three key aspects of system design. To increase any of the three, you have to give up something from the other two, with box size being the most sensitive. The often unpopular bottom line is therefore to plan on using the largest box you can comfortably live with. This partially explains the popularity of subwoofers, which can be both large and hidden from view, and often include their own built-in high power amplifier.

Adz
post #3049 of 31472 Old 07-29-2007, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldchld22 View Post

This is an good example of where I would consider the phantom center, as others have suggested. The spacing of the left and right are close enough that adding a center may not improve things over a phantom center. It is only when the distance between speakers is large ( several feet) and the viewing distance is farther than the distance between L and R that I think you get the most bang for the buck in adding a center channel. (IMHO). A center also helps if you have the need for wider seating area, which is where the phantom center doesn't do as well in imagining.

Best way is always to try it, and see if you like it.
post #3050 of 31472 Old 07-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Along the front, I am going to go with 2 350's as my left and right, and a ProMon 2000 as my center. I have the room for a large center. Would another 350 be a better center than the ProCenter2000? I see that the MSRP is $100 less.
post #3051 of 31472 Old 07-29-2007, 01:35 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte747e View Post

Along the front, I am going to go with 2 350's as my left and right, and a ProMon 2000 as my center. I have the room for a large center. Would another 350 be a better center than the ProCenter2000? I see that the MSRP is $100 less.

from everything i've read, having 3 identical vertical speakers across the front is the best for the ultimate front sound stage

when you go out to the movies, there are 3 identical loudspeakers behind a perforated screen

it give you the ultimate experience in timbre matching

when sound moves from one speaker to the next, the blending is seamless

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #3052 of 31472 Old 07-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

And in this case, for less money, correct? The 350 is cheaper than the ProCenter 2000.
post #3053 of 31472 Old 07-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

from everything i've read, having 3 identical vertical speakers across the front is the best for the ultimate front sound stage

when you go out to the movies, there are 3 identical loudspeakers behind a perforated screen

it give you the ultimate experience in timbre matching

when sound moves from one speaker to the next, the blending is seamless

Without a doubt, three 350s across the front has a noticeably advantage!

If you go with a horizontal center (such as the 1000 or the 2000) at least make sure the tweeter in the center speaker is at the same height as the tweeters in the 350s, -- you'll come close to achieving a great soundstage, but identical speakers at identical height will sound better.

Adz
post #3054 of 31472 Old 07-29-2007, 03:04 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte747e View Post

And in this case, for less money, correct? The 350 is cheaper than the ProCenter 2000.

yeah, sometimes def tech pricing is a little hard to figure out when you start to compare certain def tech speakers with other def tech speakers.

it looks like with the pro center 2000, there are a total of 3 drivers plus 2 passive radiators so i guess that bumps the price up but on the other hand, you are losing some frequency response because the pc 2000 has 2 passive 5-1/4 radiators coupled to dual 5-1/4" drivers instead of one 8" driver. the 2 drivers in the pc 2000 have to handle the mids and the bass. in the sm-350, the mids have their own driver and the 8" driver handles the bass. i'm also assuming that the mid in the 350 is sealed which is even better for the mid-range. add all that in with the fact that you'll be getting flawless timbre matching and saving 100 bucks, it's pretty much a no brainer

pro 2000 center:

Dimensions: 17"W x 6-1/2 " H x 6-1/2" D.
Response: 42 Hz 30 kHz.
Nominal Imp.: Compatible with 4 8 ohm outputs.
Rec. Assoc. Amp.: 10 250 Watts.
Driver:

* Two 5-1/4" cast basket drivers coupled to two 5-1/4" pressure-driven planar low-frequency radiators
* one 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter.

Finish: Gloss Black.
Retail: $349 each.

sm 350:

Dimensions: 6-15/16" W x 9-11/16" D x 10-11/16" H
Frequency Response: 26 Hz 30 kHz
Driver Complement:

* 5-1/4" cast-basket polymer coned bass/midrange driver
* 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter with a 8" pressure-driven subwoofer

Nominal Impedance: Compatible with 4 8 ohms
Rec. Assoc. Amplification: 20 180 watts
Efficiency: 90 db
Finish: Gloss Black
Retail:$249ea.

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #3055 of 31472 Old 07-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Wow....saving 100 bucks is a big deal for me since I'll be buying everything at once. Maybe I'll try and find a store that could accomodate that setup so I could listen to it. The last BB Magnolia I went to, the guy didn't know how to select different speakers.
post #3056 of 31472 Old 07-30-2007, 12:01 AM

I had the same situation happen at my BB Magnolia. There were 2 African American men who talked (mostly above my head) about the bass sounds, and they played all kinds of R&B music and rap. I am more interested in movie audio and easy listening/pop/classical.

Anyways, they did not know how to change the speaker selections (changing from ProMon1000 to the 350), so I doubt they would be able to put a 350 as a Center for you. It was a horrible experience desipite the fact that I love BB itself. Circuit City is just as bad.

Gte747e, this is probably what happened to you. The people are friendly, it is just they aren't always knowledgeable. I blame BB/Magnolia for that.

Can someone recommend how he can either contact Def Tech direct and get their advice or know of a place in Atlanta that carries their products?

I had my previous signature removed for no reason. I didn't list any equipment or links, so I am a very unsure as to why it would be removed. I'll just put it back up each and every time.
post #3057 of 31472 Old 07-30-2007, 12:45 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually I'm fine with one Trinity handling LFE. I meant if you were going to go with four, I would love to hear them all laying on their side in the back of a room. You actually can lay the Trinity on its side, woofer facing out towards the room. It requires some custom work (i.e., girders) to slightly raise the passive radiator off the floor (it only needs a couple of inches of clearance), but its doable, and could sound fantastic.

In my Def Tech room, I run my 7000SC front soundstage as full range/no LFE, with the Trinity handling the LFE in the back corner. In my Triad Room, I run my InRoom Platinums as small/xover of 80Hz with stereo left and right Platinum 18" subwoofers to make the front soundstage full range (again with the Trinity handling the LFE).

Remember most technology advances in speakers/subwoofers are simply trying to get around Hoffman's Iron Law which states that one can choose only two of three variables in a speaker design: 1. efficiency, 2. box size, and 3. playing very low; Getting around it by using passive Radiators and other ported designs which still result in increased distortion and accuracy.

(Copied from web article). Hoffman's Iron Law states that the efficiency of a woofer system is directly proportional to its cabinet volume and the cube of its cutoff frequency (the lowest frequency it can usefully reproduce). The obvious implication is that to reduce the cutoff frequency by a factor of two, e.g. from 40 Hz to 20 Hz, while still retaining the same system efficiency, you need to increase the enclosure volume by 2 cubed, or 8 times! In other words, to reproduce ever lower frequencies at the same output level you need an extremely large box!

However, box size isn't the only variable. You can continue to use a small box by accepting a much lower efficiency. In order to retain the same sound pressure level (SPL, meaured in dB's), though, this requires both a very large amplifier and a driver that can handle a lot of power and move a lot of air (requiring high excursions). Furthermore, it must be able to do so with minimal distortion.

So, low-frequency capability, box size, and efficiency form the three key aspects of system design. To increase any of the three, you have to give up something from the other two, with box size being the most sensitive. The often unpopular bottom line is therefore to plan on using the largest box you can comfortably live with. This partially explains the popularity of subwoofers, which can be both large and hidden from view, and often include their own built-in high power amplifier.

the triads are nice, i used to sell them

i too keep my towers set to large (no LFE), LFE goes out to the powerfields

each tower and sub is sealed

thanks for the Hoffman info. i don't mind using giant sealed boxes if i have to. whatever it takes to get the job done

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #3058 of 31472 Old 07-30-2007, 02:01 PM

To answer the question about the sub near a piano, I was a GTG last month and the host had a Rosewood SVS Plus/2 sitting under his Rosewood baby Grand Piano, we were testing his sub along with the Hsu (with turbo attached) and we didn't hear the piano plaing any notes whatsoever.
post #3059 of 31472 Old 07-30-2007, 02:07 PM

Wow again, that is so strange. Oh well. Anyone know why when I first click this thread it tells me there are only 51 pages but when I post a response it says that there are over 100 pages on this thread.
post #3060 of 31472 Old 07-31-2007, 10:48 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewB. View Post

Wow again, that is so strange. Oh well. Anyone know why when I first click this thread it tells me there are only 51 pages but when I post a response it says that there are over 100 pages on this thread.

i'm showing 51 pages

i think you can go to the control panel and set how many threads per page you want to view

i also turned off that annoying yellow font with the black background and use "avs white" which is much easier on the eyes

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page