post #31351 of 31359 Old 07-27-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
I did a quick read of your manual, it says that as long as your set to LFE + , you should have complete control and shouldn't be an issue when a speaker is set to larger.

Manuals, who reads manuals?

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31352 of 31359 Old 07-28-2014, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
So, finally got around to wiring the bedroom, considering what I'm used to is not bad at all:
HK AVR-347
4x ProCinema 100's
C-2 Center
100TL sub
Still needs a little more tweaking but it fills the 16x14 space nicely.

Also, as I said in the "what do you have" thread, GF thought the BP-20's were too big for the living room, so put those in the surround position, moved those BP-10's up for wides, even though it's overkill it actually works out really well since the room is so big (just under 6000 cu/ft). Finally had some time to put everything through its paces also, "Getaway" with the wides, then "Gravity" with the heights, and yes the heights do really make a difference, more so than the wides, but i attribute allot of that to the sound staging of the 2000's, and considering the size of the room and the 9.6" ceilings, but I truly could see where in a smaller room they may not have as great of an effect. But no matter what, I think the effort and extra expense was well worth it, if nothing more than to have the option of using either of them.

Something else that I keep forgetting, a far as heights speakers go, I can see how the heights could be more of a benefit for my setup as opposed to others, since my surrounds and rears are floor standing instead of on wall.
I'm contemplating building some 12-15" pedestals for the surrounds and rears just to see if it makes much of a difference as far as "room fill" is concerned.

Last edited by ALtlOff; Today at 01:46 AM.
post #31353 of 31359 Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ordered Promonitor/Procenter 1000 for L/C/R, need in-ceiling for rears. Suggestions?

My room is roughly 15 x 17 and I have already purchased the following:

Samsung PN60F8500 Plasma TV.
Xenon AVR-2000 Receiver.
Sony BDP-S6200 Blu-Ray.
2 Promonitor 1000 White Speakers L/R.
1 Procenter 1000 White Speaker Center.
I have an older subwoofer already.

The only thing left that I need are 2 in-ceiling speakers for the surround sound system.
I am clueless on what to get and would appreciate your input.

Suggestions? What size & brand? Where to buy?

Thanks in advance

Anthony
post #31354 of 31359 Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM

Well, if you want to stay with DefTech, and are only doing 5.1, I would use the UIW BP/A, matching 5.25" drivers, and better sound dispersion than a single driver speaker.
At least that would be my first choice for an in-wall/ceiling speaker, without breaking the bank.

Last edited by ALtlOff; Yesterday at 07:45 AM.
post #31355 of 31359 Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwnsw View Post
My room is roughly 15 x 17 and I have already purchased the following:

Samsung PN60F8500 Plasma TV.
Xenon AVR-2000 Receiver.
Sony BDP-S6200 Blu-Ray.
2 Promonitor 1000 White Speakers L/R.
1 Procenter 1000 White Speaker Center.
I have an older subwoofer already.

The only thing left that I need are 2 in-ceiling speakers for the surround sound system.
I am clueless on what to get and would appreciate your input.

Suggestions? What size & brand? Where to buy?

Thanks in advance

Anthony
The PC2000 is a better match to the PM1000s. Can you swap the PC1000 for the PC2000? The naming convention DT used for the series is silly...

post #31356 of 31359 Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New Def Tech Owner

I recently bought a set of Def Tech speakers before I found this thread. I've really learned a lot after reading over 100 pages. I wish I had found it before I made my purchase but I think what I got will do nicely.

I'm moving soon so I haven't set it up yet but this is what I have:

4 BP10b's
1 CS-8040HD
2 SR-8040BP's
2 SuperCube 8000's

I'll be running it all through a Pioneer SC-1223-K.

I'm still searching for a place but my mainly I looking for a place with a nice room for my home theater set up, and an awesome shower that's in my price range.

I know I'm going about this backwards but I'm upgrading from a Logitech 5.1 system so I'm sure I won't be disappointed in the sound.

What would be the minimum room size for this setup.
post #31357 of 31359 Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM

With that setup I wouldn't worry about minimum, minimum is easy to control simply with volume and crossover tweaks, I ran my 2000's, 2300 & 10's in a 12x11 room for years.
As far as max, you're covered pretty well there also, having the 2 subs will be a real benefit in the "large room" scenario, subs are a huge factor in larger rooms, and you can always add more with simple Y connections.
With that setup, I would guess your probably good even up to 400-500 sq/ft, and with that receiver, in a large room, adding another pair of sr-8040's for heights would add just "that much more"in the "fill" department.

Last edited by ALtlOff; Today at 01:48 AM.
post #31358 of 31359 Old Today, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Are studiomonitor 350s overkill with a ProCenter 2000? They both have 5.25" drivers but not sure if same type and would timbre match. I don't want to replace my center and was going to upgrade to sm45s (which is probably a better match) but the price of the sm350s is tempting. I do value 2 channel music as well so maybe the added bass would come handy. But still 80% will be for movies. I also have the PSW505 sub.
post #31359 of 31359 Old Today, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post
Are studiomonitor 350s overkill with a ProCenter 2000? They both have 5.25" drivers but not sure if same type and would timbre match. I don't want to replace my center and was going to upgrade to sm45s (which is probably a better match) but the price of the sm350s is tempting. I do value 2 channel music as well so maybe the added bass would come handy. But still 80% will be for movies. I also have the PSW505 sub.
Personally I think you'd be fine either way, the side radiators on the PC-2000 give it a decent range as far as matching with fronts, it would probably even be "ok" with some 450's or 55's, but your choices should be good.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page