Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1053 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31561 of 31567 Old 09-15-2014, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 5.1 setup and want to move to 7.1. I'm considering getting four of the Def Tech RSS 2 or RSS 3 to replace my existing Snell bipole surrounds. All RSS will be installed in the ceiling (due to physical constraints) and need to be fully enclosed. I have a couple questions:

1) In the Def Tech RSS manual, I was shocked that they recommend that for side surrounds, one set of drivers should be shooting towards the listening position. Isn't it the OPPOSITE? I always thought that the point of bipole side surrounds is that they shoot front and back, creating a widely dispersed sound field. I have pasted the manual entry below. Is this a typo or mistake? Same for the rear, it seems like they have it in reverse.

2) How far back should the rear pair be for this to work? They will be at most 8 to 12 inches behind my head in the ceiling, is it worth moving to 7.1?

3) Would it be better to get the RCS as rear? Or all four RCS? (I plan to go Atmos at some point in the future, so debating whether bipole is the way to go or not)

From RSS 3 Manual:

http://www.definitivetech.com/downlo...12909_read.pdf

If ceiling-mounting these speakers directly on either side of the main
listening position, the speakers should be oriented so that one set of drivers
shoots at the listening position and the other set shoots away from the
listening position.

If ceiling-mounting the speakers directly behind the main listening position,
orient the speakers so that one set of drivers shoots towards the listening
position and the other set shoots back away from the listening position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31562 of 31567 Old 09-15-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem_702 View Post
I currently have the following setup

L\R - BP2004
C - CLR2300
Sur - UIW63/A (in ceiling)
R - BPX
Sub - DIY slot ported 18" DI HT Marty Cube x2

Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W

I'm not thrilled with my center channel .... I know some are going to suggest a Def-tech center channel upgrade, some are going to say get another BP2004 ... I've recently heard the SEOS compression drivers and it was a perceived improvement; I also listened to some ribbon tweeters and liked the clarity ...

How much of an issue is it to mix the type or manufacturer of the center? Anyone doing it? How's the Mythos 10 center? With modern EQ'ing isn't a lot of the issues of mixing speakers removed? I know its not a total non issue .. but was wondering if anyone had the same thoughts ...

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Jason

I have owned the 2300, twice, a Mythos 8 and now have an 8080. I haven't tried that, but it's recommended to have matching across the front soundstage. However, I did have Boston Acoustics VS line in my back with Def Tech upfront and the difference was very obvious. The Mythos 8 sounded very small compared to the 2300. I don't then a Mythos 10 would be much better. Somebody recommended the 2000, try that, a 2500, the 8080, or phantom center. I have just discovered my CS8080 increases a room null with REW. It's right at the 60-80Hz range. I have been running without my8080 for a couple days and seem to like it. I just don't like the thought of not having a 7.2. I may try something different to see if it works, otherwise I may just get rid of it. I like phantom CC mode, try it.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #31563 of 31567 Old 09-16-2014, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I agree with Lowell about trying phantom mode, the 2004's should give you a pretty decent phantom.

As far as the 2300 itself, I'm sort of surprised it's not doing the job well, the 2004's should be a really good match for it, I was wondering what your setup is like as far as location and acoustics, I never pulled my 2300 out, but always had a pretty airy spot for it, and as much as going to 3000 was an upgrade, bringing it completely out of a cabinet and out into the open improved it that much more. Also, try playing with your EQ a little, I know ideally everything should be good with a flat adjustment, but again, it will help you to adjust for acoustical differences.

Good luck.

Last edited by ALtlOff; 09-16-2014 at 12:53 AM.
post #31564 of 31567 Old 09-16-2014, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post
Just a thought, but are they at least 12 inches out from the wall?
Yeah. have actually used it in different setups in different rooms over the years.. no big thing. Now they are just used for when company comes over to play hockey on the playstation.. they are pretty good for that..
post #31565 of 31567 Old 09-16-2014, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the input. The Center is on top of the 2 sub cabinets. Not inside anywhere. It's definitely the larger room or something happened during the move, I was never wowed by it but it does seem flatter in the new room.

I have REW, glad that was mentioned. I will run a sweep and see what it looks like compared to the mains.

Anyone who owns some deftechs compared them to the Clearwave Dynamic Mains(4TSE)/Center(4CCSE)? Impressions?
post #31566 of 31567 Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A little off topic, but since it's been mentioned in this page a few times. To those that have used REW, is it worth the time, effort and investment to get the $95 mic and spend time learning the software? Or is using the receivers built in calibration tools (MCACC, Audyssey, etc) + SPL meter + some manual fine tuning a better route. I've been reading about it for the past day and it seems easy and complicated at the same time and I'm wondering if it's worth the effort and hours spent configuring everything.

Will you hear the difference between either way?

Samsung 65" ES8000 - Pioneer Elite VSX23-TXH - 7.1 Definitive speakers - PM 1000 L/R - PC 1000 - ProSub 800 - PM 800's Surround & Surround Back
post #31567 of 31567 Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a CRL 2002 for sale, no scrathes with original box and accessory's , if interested pm me, thanks
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page