Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1054 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31591 of 31616 Old 09-24-2014, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
well...just waiting on a new 10" woofer here for the one that's pretty much dead in one of the towers and I HOPE TO GOD i'm done buying additional parts/drivers/tweeters/crap for these speakers I bought in "working" condition. Considering the XO and tweeter were dead in the center and at LEAST one of the 10" woofers was well on it's way to death, not counting the fedex fiasco that took a 6.5&(probably) a tweeter, I'd bet the new system for the previous owner sounds much better haha....sigh...

ok then...

Right now I have the towers running small and just off of speaker wire. I am thinking about testing what RCA to the LFE inputs sounds like but I already have my LFE signal split between two subs. I'm sure two more won't make much of a difference given the room is small so the run of wire isn't absurd, but I'm basically done effing with these at this point and just want to watch a movie at very loud levels lol

DT BP7001SC (LR)
DT CLR3000 (C)
DT SM45 (Rears)
2x PSA XV15se (SW)
Denon AVR X1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31592 of 31616 Old 09-24-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Hey guys, the new AVS format is weird with classifieds and bumping your posting. Before we had a button that you could bump your post to the front of the line every 72 hrs and now they say strictly no bumping. One mod gave me a warning when I did and I informed him of the previous bumping every 72hrs prior and it was new news to him lol. Anyway I have a sub and center channel from a Pro Cinema 600 set I am trying to sell. Besides ebay are there any other places you guys sell gear at?

DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Setup Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #31593 of 31616 Old 09-24-2014, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any Trinity owners in the New England area interested in selling? Please PM me.
post #31594 of 31616 Old 09-26-2014, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I went to Magnolia to finalize the BP-8060ST, and found that there's a really sweet deal going on for the Mythos STS (making its price comparable to the BP-8060ST). Unfortunately, that Magnolia center did not have BP-8060ST, so could not compare the sound. I am going to another Magnolia tomorrow that carries both, but would appreciate your views/reasons on choosing one over the other. Also, which center/surrounds would be good to pair with the Mythos STS - center (Mythos 9 or 10), surrounds (Mythos Gem or Gem XL).

Will keep the PC12-NSD sub in mind, but want to buy my speakers before I go ahead with the sub.

Thanks!
post #31595 of 31616 Old 09-27-2014, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For HT, I'd stick with the 8060. As long as you have the room to stage them properly they should do a better job.
Since you'll be able to do a side-by-side listen for the differences in bass, depth and imaging/sound staging, if you can bring some of your own content with you, dvd's, cd's, it'll make the process a little easier and take out the "Listening Room Factor", where the employees are told to use "certain" demo content because that was what was used when the room was set up.

Also don't forget, compare the 8040's too, if you can, there been known to sound "very" similar to the 8060's for a little less coin.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
post #31596 of 31616 Old 09-27-2014, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
For HT, I'd stick with the 8060. As long as you have the room to stage them properly they should do a better job.
Since you'll be able to do a side-by-side listen for the differences in bass, depth and imaging/sound staging, if you can bring some of your own content with you, dvd's, cd's, it'll make the process a little easier and take out the "Listening Room Factor", where the employees are told to use "certain" demo content because that was what was used when the room was set up.

Also don't forget, compare the 8040's too, if you can, there been known to sound "very" similar to the 8060's for a little less coin.
Thanks ALtlOff. My music to movies ratio is 60:40. Would 8060 sound equally good (or better) for music too? Good advice on 8040, I will follow it & audition them tomorrow as well - I did listen to 8040 on an earlier visit to Magnolia, but was probably too enamored with 8060 at that time so had not auditioned the 8040 properly. Certainly will be carrying my own CDs.

Thanks!
post #31597 of 31616 Old 09-27-2014, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelabh View Post
Thanks ALtlOff. My music to movies ratio is 60:40. Would 8060 sound equally good (or better) for music too? Good advice on 8040, I will follow it & audition them tomorrow as well - I did listen to 8040 on an earlier visit to Magnolia, but was probably too enamored with 8060 at that time so had not auditioned the 8040 properly. Certainly will be carrying my own CDs.

Thanks!
They should be good for music also, comparing the Super Towers to the Mythos Towers, when your talking about music, besides bass, the biggest factor will still probably be your room, since the Super Towers do require more breathing room.
Have Fun, I always loved auditioning speakers.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
post #31598 of 31616 Old 09-27-2014, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do yall think a system consisting of the UIW RLS II as LCR and RSS II (4 of them to make a 7.2) could keep up with a pair of captivator 2400s in a 21x21x12 non dedicated HT?

I am building a house and have the RSS just about to go in the ceiling and will build a bookcase that the RLS would mount in but im starting to wonder if the subs I would like to have are going to overpower them. I dont know if I "need" that much sub but when I listen to music I like bass heavy stuff (dubstep and the likes).

thanks!
post #31599 of 31616 Old 09-27-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Also on the topic, any use UIW 64/a ceiling speakers? Is so how to the match to the mids of the rest of the def tech speakers in your setup?
post #31600 of 31616 Old 09-27-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi. Please can some one advise me on how to set up my home audio equipment.

I have recently acquired 2 x BP-2002Tls, 2 x BP-1s and 1 x CLR-2002 and need advice in connecting them to the amp that I got with them, a Yamaha DSP-A3090. I know this was top of the range stuff back in the day and have heard the system going in the past and am very keen to set it up. I have never owned stuff like this before and am a little confused with all the connections.

I've got 4 jumpers on the back of both of the BP2002s connecting the high, middle and low on the 'High level in' section. There are inputs for the sub, but I know the speakers are powered by a 250w amp so I was thinking not to connect those.

I've got 2 jumpers on the CLR-2002.

The Yamaha amp has 5-7 separate channels plus a subwoofer. It has centre, main, rear and front, these are red and black screw ends for connecting bare wire. Below those it has RCA/pin connections for Front & Rear Effects and one for a subwoofer. Logic says to me that my speakers go into the bare wire connectors as there are more of them to match up with the ones on the speakers.

I would be very grateful for some advise and guidance.

Thanks
post #31601 of 31616 Old 09-27-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjaye View Post
Hi. Please can some one advise me on how to set up my home audio equipment.

I have recently acquired 2 x BP-2002Tls, 2 x BP-1s and 1 x CLR-2002 and need advice in connecting them to the amp that I got with them, a Yamaha DSP-A3090. I know this was top of the range stuff back in the day and have heard the system going in the past and am very keen to set it up. I have never owned stuff like this before and am a little confused with all the connections.

I've got 4 jumpers on the back of both of the BP2002s connecting the high, middle and low on the 'High level in' section. There are inputs for the sub, but I know the speakers are powered by a 250w amp so I was thinking not to connect those.

I've got 2 jumpers on the CLR-2002.

The Yamaha amp has 5-7 separate channels plus a subwoofer. It has centre, main, rear and front, these are red and black screw ends for connecting bare wire. Below those it has RCA/pin connections for Front & Rear Effects and one for a subwoofer. Logic says to me that my speakers go into the bare wire connectors as there are more of them to match up with the ones on the speakers.

I would be very grateful for some advise and guidance.

Thanks
Since your new to this, start with the simplest and basic connection, leave all of the jumpers in place and just run speaker wire from the receiver to one of each post on the speakers, the jumpers will transfer the signal to all of the drivers, including the Subs.
Since it looks like you don't have a sub, set the speaker settings on the receiver this way.
Fronts - Large
Center - Small
Surrounds - Small
Sub - No/Off
Crossover around 50hz for the small speakers or overall.

Start there, adjust the controls on the speakers themselves to your liking, this will depend more on your room than your equipment.

Once you've got things adjusted to your liking, we can change things from there if you like.

post #31602 of 31616 Old 09-27-2014, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New to the Def Tech brand and looking for additional advice on placement. Do these built in sub speakers sound better placed in the open rather than contained or within an area where the side firing sub is close to a wall?

I've also read they should be driven with at least a separate amp.

Is there a suggested room size that correlates with a specific model?

Thanks for the guidance.
post #31603 of 31616 Old Yesterday, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Since your new to this, start with the simplest and basic connection, leave all of the jumpers in place and just run speaker wire from the receiver to one of each post on the speakers, the jumpers will transfer the signal to all of the drivers, including the Subs.
Since it looks like you don't have a sub, set the speaker settings on the receiver this way.
Fronts - Large
Center - Small
Surrounds - Small
Sub - No/Off

Start there, adjust the controls on the speakers themselves to your liking, this will depend more on your room than your equipment.

Once you've got things adjusted to your liking, we can change things from there if you like.
Thanks for this. I will give it a crack and let you know how I get on
post #31604 of 31616 Old Yesterday, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 190
What screws are recommended for BP-2X? I find the mounting brackets are a bit shallow on the screw slot, I nudged it upwards and speaker fell off, I sort of caught it and the speaker didn't quite hit the floor as the speaker cable comes down from the ceiling.

Not as good as the brackets on the NHT speakers

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #31605 of 31616 Old Yesterday, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Fronts - Large
Center - Small
Surrounds - Small
Sub - No/Off

Basically should I connect:

Front - BP2002
Main - BP2002
Centre - CLR2002
Rear - BP1

Thanks again
post #31606 of 31616 Old Yesterday, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Basically should I connect:

Front - BP2002
Main - BP2002
Centre - CLR2002
Rear - BP1

Thanks again
No, front is for additional height speakers, the BP2002's should be connected to Main R/L

post #31607 of 31616 Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post
Also on the topic, any use UIW 64/a ceiling speakers? Is so how to the match to the mids of the rest of the def tech speakers in your setup?
I went with the DIR8s in the ceiling and UIW 65s in the garage for the audio through my house but havent heard it all fired up yet.
post #31608 of 31616 Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM

Quote:
No, front is for additional height speakers, the BP2002's should be connected to Main R/L
I've now located the receiver manual, this, combined with your advice has helped a great deal. It explains how to set up a 5 channel system.

Can you recommend the best wire to buy, will standard 14 gauge copper wire do the job as well as nice looking expensive stuff??

Thanks again
post #31609 of 31616 Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I've now located the receiver manual, this, combined with your advice has helped a great deal. It explains how to set up a 5 channel system.

Can you recommend the best wire to buy, will standard 14 gauge copper wire do the job as well as nice looking expensive stuff??

Thanks again
Yes, no need to go crazy at this point, a decent copper 14ga is just fine, just look for an all copper wire, not copper coated aluminum.

post #31610 of 31616 Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM

Liked: 64
Quote:

Good old fashioned speaker wire will do just fine! Most speaker wire is hidden from view in wall, wire cover, ect. If it's cheaper to run lamp cord by the foot from Home Depot then that works just as well. The only time IMHO to run something fancy with a nice jacket cover would be if it was in the open and I did not use wire channels to hide it.

As for 14 awg doing the job it will for most runs and speakers be fine, but not knowing how long your runs are that's hard to answer. This chart in this link can help you determine what's best for your system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_wire#Wire_gauge
post #31611 of 31616 Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Stranded copper wire, with the jacket marked for polarity, yes. 14ga is more than adequate for any runs up to 50 feet. Even 16ga lamp cord will do the job with short runs.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #31612 of 31616 Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurly View Post
New to the Def Tech brand and looking for additional advice on placement. Do these built in sub speakers sound better placed in the open rather than contained or within an area where the side firing sub is close to a wall?

I've also read they should be driven with at least a separate amp.

Is there a suggested room size that correlates with a specific model?

Thanks for the guidance.
For the SuperTowers you should have at least 8-10" from three wall for the rear drivers, and at least 12" from a wall for the Powered Woofers.
Sounds like you haven't bought yet, so one thing to consider, some of the newer Supertowers have an uneven driver configuration, front to back, so they basically have a dedicated side they should be placed on, the older Towers have an even number of drivers on each side, so they can be set to fire the Subs either outward or inward depending on which works best for your space.

post #31613 of 31616 Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM

Thanks ALtIOff. I will probably only have 4" at this most from each side. Wall on one side, entertainment center on the other. However, there will be 10-12" from behind. New ST might work in that instance?

Are you aware of any rear firing built in tower speakers?

In this room, I will not be able to use a separate sub. I most certainly want nice bass but without a sub, I'm not I will be able achieve it. This is my conundrum.

Last edited by Scurly; Yesterday at 07:06 PM. Reason: Update
post #31614 of 31616 Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM

Update: found the Mythos.
post #31615 of 31616 Old Today, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1 View Post
Screw OCD take it from experience get the SVS. It is 10X better sub with far tighter and lower frequency handling. There is no reason whatsoever that a sub needs to be from the same company as your speakers. None!!!!! I can't stress that enough. Your gonna be all smiles and enjoy the SVS far more than the DT subs.
Alright, I think you might be right.. I've decided to order the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus since its on sale and seems to get good reviews. Now I'm thinking that instead of using sutdiomonitor 350s for mains, I should maybe step it up to the newer SM45s for a little more money. Spec wise, everything seems very similar to the SM350s, except for the new drivers. Do you guys think that the newer SM45s are worth the extra cash? Or would they sound about the same?
post #31616 of 31616 Old Today, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Anyone have any frequency response charts for SM450s? Don't care if they are your room else published from a magazine. Also curious how the timbre is between SM450's your other Def Tech speakers?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page