Forum Jump: 

post #31711 of 31719 Old Today, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer1362 View Post
Is there any real benefits of replacing a pair of BPVX's that I am using for mains with a pair of BP 20's or 30's which I am having a hard time finding!!! I am using this with a Marantz sr4002 receiver and clr2000 center and svs pb-1000 sub in a small 12'x12' room. I was thinking of the 30's up front and using the bpvx's for rear surround is this over kill?

Thanks
Personally, yes, the 20's or 30's should give you a noticeably different, and in my opinion better, front soundstage, you may loose a little of a "virtual wide" effect that you probably have now, but the front soundstage should be more accurate.
The combination of 20's or 30's and BPVX's would be really good.

With that note, the 20's are usually a lot easier to find than the 30's, but there aren't many of either usually floating around, honestly you may want to consider a used pair of BP2002's, BP2004's or 7002's, 7004's, they're usually easier to find and in most cases won't be too much more, especially than the 30's, they are rare enough that they usually bring a premium.
But there again, I ended up lucky (right place, right time) and practically stole my 20's that I got a month ago.
(There has been a pair of 20's on e-bay for a long time, they're on a local pick up in Florida, think that's why there still there, the price is right.)

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; Today at 02:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31712 of 31719 Old Today, 12:11 AM

Picked up a total of 5 SM450's to start my height layer, one will need some repair, but I can use the 4 for the time being. Needed an odd one for my Front Center Height, anyway.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
post #31713 of 31719 Old Today, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the reply.

I have spoken to the guy in Florida and could after them if needed the only thing I did not care for is the cherry covered caps to change them would be about another $150.00/200.00 there is also a set in Atlanta that I could pick up for $250.00 but with the same issue? What do you think would be a fair price for 20's/30's

Thanks
post #31714 of 31719 Old Today, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I have spoken to the guy in Florida and could after them if needed the only thing I did not care for is the cherry covered caps to change them would be about another $150.00/200.00 there is also a set in Atlanta that I could pick up for $250.00 but with the same issue? What do you think would be a fair price for 20's/30's

Thanks
Been shopping for the last few months, right now BP10'S are going for $125-$150 ea + shipping, so even the $300 for the BP20's is actually on the low end, and yes, caps are hard to find, May want to check into refinishing, that way you could actually do any color you like. As far as BP30's be ready for in the neighborhood of $500, unless you find someone who doesn't understand what they have.

I got REALLY lucky and picked up my 20's for $225, but trust me, that was nothing but dumb luck, and I love them, I've owned 10's for a long time and would pick the 20's over them any day.
(Truthfully, I'd drive 4-5 hrs each way for another pair of 20's for $250, I like them that much.)

For me, any of the DefTech's with the 6.5" driver have always been my preference.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; Today at 03:36 AM.
post #31715 of 31719 Old Today, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Longshot question: Does anyone have any idea/experience doing disassembly on the new ST-L? I just bought a pair of refurbs from bajawaverunner and I think I have a connection issue in one of the speakers. I got them last weekend and as soon as I set them up I realized the right speaker was having issues. The mid-range drivers go in and out, making a crackling sound. At low volumes, no sound at all, moderate to loud they come in and out. Thought I had a bad driver but both mid-range drivers in the MTM assembly do exactly the same thing. Also noticed that light pressure on the top radiator will cause the mid-range drivers to kick in a low volumes. Last night I tried switching the MTM from the right speaker to the left speaker and they played perfectly. This all leads me to believe there is an internal connection problem.

After taking the MTM out of the enclosure, I'm not sure how to get at the rest of the cabinet. There are screws near the bass driver and radiators but when they get unscrewed the drivers start to fall away as they are apparently mounted directly to the baffle. Going to the bottom of the speaker I took the bass off and was able to get into the bass part of the cabinet but there is so much adhesive everywhere I don't know what is meant to come apart and what may cause a problem with being fully sealed upon reassembly. The seller is working with me to troubleshoot and has a 90 day warranty but since the seller is based out of California and I'm in DC, I'd rather not deal with shipping it back to him and then waiting for a new one to arrive.
post #31716 of 31719 Old Today, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
That's what I think I am going to do, was looking at the 10's on ebay for 499.00 but think throwing good money after bad.

Thanks,
post #31717 of 31719 Old Today, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Thanks
I have bought several Def Techs with the cherry. It is very simple to take the caps or bottoms off and paint them black. Or you can watch for caps on eBay. Bajawaverunner has them sometimes or you can email him and see if he has any. Either way, it's simple to change the cherry.

To your original question, yes it is very worth putting 30's up front or the 700x series. I have the 7001's CLR2000 and BPVX's in the rear with two Rythmik DIY subs. Outstanding! The key is patience in finding what you want in the used market and be ready to buy.

Last edited by badgerpilot; Today at 07:27 AM.
post #31718 of 31719 Old Today, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Absolutely play with placement, the 65's definitely need more room to breathe than the 800's, and that translates mostly into bass response and imaging.
Thanks. Played around a little last night and got a much better stereo imaging from simply moving the speakers back. My room is fairly small and moving the SM65s back from the listening positions and toeing them in a little definitely improved all seats' response (I don't have a mic, but that is according to my ear).

We'll see if I play around more this weekend...or just watch stuff and enjoy. I do really like the SM65s and love the great deal that was bajawaverunner on eBay.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, and 2 PM 800s for surrounds.
post #31719 of 31719 Old Today, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
Thanks. Played around a little last night and got a much better stereo imaging from simply moving the speakers back. My room is fairly small and moving the SM65s back from the listening positions and toeing them in a little definitely improved all seats' response (I don't have a mic, but that is according to my ear).

We'll see if I play around more this weekend...or just watch stuff and enjoy. I do really like the SM65s and love the great deal that was bajawaverunner on eBay.
Mine are about a foot from the back wall and side wall. They image so will it's really hard for me to decide whether or not to use a CC or not. When in phantom CC mode the sound is dead center on the screen.
fredxr2d2 likes this.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page