Forum Jump: 

post #31771 of 31776 Old 11-21-2014, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
IMO, there are a couple of things to take in consideration on this choice, (esp. since you have the 8020's)
1. Mostly Music or Mostly HT?
2. Are you running separate Sub's?

For HT, I've always preferred either a 6.5" or 5.25" driver (in that order) and with that in mind you would have more than a few other choices that I think would work better than the 8060's (of course depending on how much of a deal you could get), taking cost out of the equation I would place the Supertower's in this order:
1. 3000 / 7000
2. 2000
3. 7001
4. 2002 / 7002 / 8080
5. 2004 / 7004
6. 2006 / 7006 / 8060 / 8040
7. 8020

If it were me I'd wait it out and go for the bigger upgrade from the 8020's and look for anything from #4 on up.

Also, you didn't mention your plan for your 8020's but before you get rid of them, if you have the space at all, try then as surrounds, should be excellent.
Thanks for the details ALtlOff, much appreciated! I mainly will use for home theatre and I do have a good separate sub. But based on what you mentioned, I may have to wait it out on the speakers to find some locally, preferable 1-3 above. Hmmm, I hadn't checked out the other 2002, 2004, or 7004 and wasn't aware they were better than the 8060's, but I see the tweeter sizes were 5 1/4 vs. 4 1/2 like in the 8060 but the 8060 has 3 vs 2 like in the other speakers. So I assume that would come into play, but I could be hard to tell unless you can hear all of them together.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31772 of 31776 Old 11-22-2014, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post
Thanks for the details ALtlOff, much appreciated! I mainly will use for home theatre and I do have a good separate sub. But based on what you mentioned, I may have to wait it out on the speakers to find some locally, preferable 1-3 above. Hmmm, I hadn't checked out the other 2002, 2004, or 7004 and wasn't aware they were better than the 8060's, but I see the tweeter sizes were 5 1/4 vs. 4 1/2 like in the 8060 but the 8060 has 3 vs 2 like in the other speakers. So I assume that would come into play, but I could be hard to tell unless you can hear all of them together.
Keep in mind, I just gave you recommendations for what "I" like in tonal quality, when it comes to HT, for me the extra driver doesn't carry as much weight as what I prefer in tone.
Since its harder to find older equipment to listen to, see if you can find a retailer that has both the 8080's and 8060's and listen to them with content that isn't real bass heavy (since that's what retailers will try to push on you with the whole built in Sub concept) and just listen to the difference between the 5.25 drivers and the 4.5 drivers, that way you can decide for yourself which, or even if, you like one better than the other. It may help to narrow things down for you as far as direction, if you prefer the smaller driver, or don't hear much of a difference, it may either widen your parameters or save you some money in the long run.
(Here's an example of what I mean, many people who have compared the 8060 to the 8040 stay there's not enough of a difference to justify the extra cost, that should give you some insight as to how much Mid Driver Size comes into play over Sub size and other things)

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; 11-22-2014 at 01:08 AM.
post #31773 of 31776 Old 11-22-2014, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones410 View Post
I'd like to set the front bookshelf speakers, Def Tech ProMonitor 800s, on the TV console. The console is wide enough that it's a good 10" on either side longer than the TV, so they wouldn't be blocking it. From my research though, it sounds like setting them on a console is a no-no. Is that correct? I'm a complete newbie with audio setup and I'm really trying to learn. Seems like the more I learn though, the more lost I get.

THANKS!
I don't remember if the 800's are shielded or not, but that may be the only issue ( honestly you should have enough space anyway) just try it and see if you see any problems on your TV.
It's not "on" a cabinet that's the problem, is "in" a cabinet that's the issue, whey need room to breath, esp. from the top, to get the deepest and fullest sound possible out of them, esp. if they are your mains.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
post #31774 of 31776 Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, need your help, I'm putting speakers into a work trailer for extended conference call coverage, training videos, and other small usage. These will be ceiling mounted, and was thinking of using four DT AW 6500 for the conference room, it is about 45' long and 20' wide. Any help or other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
post #31775 of 31776 Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Def tech setup

The more I read, the more my eyes get crossed and confused. I have a pioneer elite vsx92txh connected to bp8040's (center, mains, surrounds) and 2 supercube II's. Can I get a straight up detailed rundown of what I should set everything to? The system sounds great as is but I want it to be perfect. Thanks
post #31776 of 31776 Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumavguy View Post
Hey guys, need your help, I'm putting speakers into a work trailer for extended conference call coverage, training videos, and other small usage. These will be ceiling mounted, and was thinking of using four DT AW 6500 for the conference room, it is about 45' long and 20' wide. Any help or other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
They would work fine, but for what your interested in using them for, the 5500's would work just as well and save you a little.
Just curious, do you absolutely think you need outdoor speakers for your application? If not you could get 6 of the ProMonitor 800's for less than 4 of the 6500's and that's at retail, if you bought referbs it could save you even more. (bajawaverunner on e-bay) or even older ProMonitor 100's would work if you cold find enough of them. With any of these, instead of ceiling mounting you could mount them horizontally where the ceiling meets the walls.
Just a thought.

My Build Thread:
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page