Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1066 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31951 of 31963 Old 12-18-2014, 10:36 AM
Senior Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazdoc View Post
Thank you very much for the excellent advice. As one of my partners says,"There is no good advice," ("I cannot put myself fully into your shoes, and therefore my advice cannot be entirely within context.") I appreciate this and will be looking for a pair of 8080 without worry.

I saw your theater build, and I certainly will not be going for such an involved build. It looks quite impressive, but if I can fill in some of the gaps and build the bass up more (while reducing the boominess) I will be quite happy.
Lol...Yup, I tend to go to the extreme with my passions, that's why my WAF warning is there...
One of my favorite sayings is "What does NEED have to do with anything"...
That's the great thing about multiple Subs, it's easier to get more even, "good" bass, without the Boomy".
Let us know how things go.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; Today at 09:58 AM.
ALtlOff is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #31952 of 31963 Old Today, 08:36 AM
Member
 
dabsim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Guys ,can u tell me if I were to add two pairs of mythos for front high and rear in 7.1? I'm concerned that the New tweeter in mythos will overcome the highs in my BP series?
I had been thinking of getting 2 pairs of 450 ? AtLoff,I'm finally moving into new place next week!! It's been 3 months ,and the new room is going to b awesome for the HIFi-HT!
And what about if I were to just get 2 pairs of the deftech 1000,800 satellite speakers since its for front highs and rears? Plus I can mount them ?


Pioneer SC-37
Oppo-103 Darbee
Ps3
Onkyo-7030
Teac- CD,rec
Monster 2100 Conditioner
Bp-2000 -F
Bp-2004 TL-sides
Clr-2300 center
Polk rti-4 rear
MIT- cable's
MIT- rca
Emotiva- cable's
dabsim is offline  
post #31953 of 31963 Old Today, 09:42 AM
Newbie
 
newhkowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to get off topic but I need some help on a possible used def tech purchase and thought this would be a good place. I have an opportunity to buy a used pair of BP 2004's and a CLR 2500 for around 350-400. These are over ten years old and I have read that some of the older dt powered subs weren't that great. Also looking at some new BP8's with the passive subs as they are no longer being produced and selling very cheap. My room is 24x25 with 9' ceiling and these will be used for movies 90% of the time. Other dt speakers are more than I am budgeting for the front three speakers. Thanks
newhkowner is offline  
post #31954 of 31963 Old Today, 10:21 AM
Senior Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsim View Post
Guys ,can u tell me if I were to add two pairs of mythos for front high and rear in 7.1? I'm concerned that the New tweeter in mythos will overcome the highs in my BP series?
I had been thinking of getting 2 pairs of 450 ? AtLoff,I'm finally moving into new place next week!! It's been 3 months ,and the new room is going to b awesome for the HIFi-HT!
And what about if I were to just get 2 pairs of the deftech 1000,800 satellite speakers since its for front highs and rears? Plus I can mount them ?



Pioneer SC-37
Oppo-103 Darbee
Ps3
Onkyo-7030
Teac- CD,rec
Monster 2100 Conditioner
Bp-2000 -F
Bp-2004 TL-sides
Clr-2300 center
Polk rti-4 rear
MIT- cable's
MIT- rca
Emotiva- cable's
Dab, from our e-mails back and forth I have to say, I don't think you'll be happy with either the 1000's our 800's
For your setup I think I would use the SM450'S for the front heights and some SM350's for your rears, front drivers and surround drivers would be a perfect match and the depth that both of those speakers offer would fall right in line with the way I think you like your sound, I have them both and they're both so rich sounding, plus would also a perfect cosmetic match to your towers. I have both SM45's and SM350's here at the house and I have to say I prefer the 350's between those two (the 45's were my other option idea) , and the 450's are so much better as heights than my BP-2's were

Don't forget as long as you have a solid mounting surface you can mount both of them, they have keyhole plates that come with them or you can get them from DefTech. (Chet is sending me a couple as we speak, free of charge of course, those guys are the best!)
Here's mine: (excuse the wire, we're finally getting ready to paint after the holidays)


Oh, I don't remember how close your rears are going to be, but if you think my BP-2's with their bi-polar design would lend itself better than the direct fire driver, e-mail me.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; Today at 10:41 AM.
ALtlOff is offline  
post #31955 of 31963 Old Today, 10:32 AM
Senior Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhkowner View Post
Sorry to get off topic but I need some help on a possible used def tech purchase and thought this would be a good place. I have an opportunity to buy a used pair of BP 2004's and a CLR 2500 for around 350-400. These are over ten years old and I have read that some of the older dt powered subs weren't that great. Also looking at some new BP8's with the passive subs as they are no longer being produced and selling very cheap. My room is 24x25 with 9' ceiling and these will be used for movies 90% of the time. Other dt speakers are more than I am budgeting for the front three speakers. Thanks
This isn't of topic, it's exactly what the thread is for.
My room is almost the same exact size and I have to say the 2004/2500 combo would blow away the 8's in that size of a room. Don't get confused with what had been said about the older towers subs, they actually work really well as powered woofers, some of them just didn't work so well as "Subs", you'll still need to use a separate sub eventually (which you'd have to with the 8's anyway) the great thing about the powered towers is that if you don't have a Sub or won't be able to get one right away, you can use them that way temporarily, just won't sound "as good as it could" that's all, won't sound bad, just not as good. But as a full range tower the powered woofers really add to the range of the speakers and their overall sound quality, plus they give you plenty of adjustment options to fit your specific space that you don't get with speakers without the powered woofers.

Besides that price is a steal, that's like getting the 2500 for free and still getting a good deal on the 2004's.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; Today at 01:02 PM.
ALtlOff is offline  
post #31956 of 31963 Old Today, 10:43 AM
Member
 
dabsim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thank u for the input Altoff ? Thus having discussed this issue 2 months ago? I just wanted an out of box opinion. Im going to order those in two weeks. I'm glad u stated the 350?? I too had thought of this? I think would look better being above the fronts too?
The room is Awesome Altloff? I'm jealous u have all that room!! It's has room for the DefTech to breath perfectly? I'm telling u too switch out the wiring ? Please ,I'm telling u and anyone else that has the same yr 1997 BP-2000? Switch out the internal wiring ? At least the tin wire that's used for the subs! I have taken a pic with my previous on here? It's tin!!! I can't stress this fact enough!! It's night and day!! O had to adjust my bass level down by 3! I'm hearing and feeling bass extension that I never experienced out of these? They now have a low deep powerful thud that's so solid!! It's two wires you guys? Solder them together too??
Sorry ,AltLoff? I got carried away. But your system will thank u for the upgrade that cost $20! 15 ft ,14 awg ,19 strand mil spec silver coated wire. Navships on EBay is who u want to order this from?
I just put another pic of the wire that was used in the BP-2000? The silver is again is one that runs from sub . And the copper is from upper which 6 /?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141214_113211_1419183667160.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	433769  
dabsim is offline  
post #31957 of 31963 Old Today, 10:44 AM
Member
 
dabsim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
U better jump on that deal!!!!
dabsim is offline  
post #31958 of 31963 Old Today, 11:04 AM
Newbie
 
newhkowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsim View Post
U better jump on that deal!!!!
So being new to def tech is there a preferred method to wire for optimal performance? Finishing framing right now and working on my speaker wire configuration. Not sure if I need to run two pairs of wires to each of the mains and center.
newhkowner is offline  
post #31959 of 31963 Old Today, 11:06 AM
Member
 
Spazdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Winnetka, IL
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Also, let me throw this out there, your room is as long as mine, since your looking at receivers, also check into 9.x receivers, you may be surprised that the price point won't be that much different, (probably about the same as if you replaced you 8040's) I think your room would work really well with the later addition of some wides, BP8's or BP6's right on the other side of that radiator space.
Just a thought....
(Refer to my Sig. though....lol)
So i had a busy couple days. Baja had one SR 8080 at a steal, so I am getting that in a few days. I was at my local shop (Abt) to get some Sonos for the house, and they were running a good sale on the SR 8080, so I picked up a pair, figuring I would replace the rear SR8040 with SR 8080. Reviewing my Marantz AVR manual I found out that it will run 9.1, but I have to choose between Front Height and Front Wide. Argh! Not a decision I was expecting to make.

So, my current set up will be as follows:
BP-8060ST front (2)
CS-8060HD center (1)
SR-8080BP surround L/R (2)
SR-8040BP surround back (2)
HSU VTF-15H sub (1)
Marantz 6008 (110 W /channel)

So I will have one extra SR 8080. I do not want to add the finances yet for another pair of towers for Wide Front (have curtains and acoustic treatments I want to do first).

Can I use the SR 8080 as Front Height speakers, or should I get a Mythos Gem (or similar directional speaker) for front height?
Since my ceiling is 7.5 feet high, should I just bag the whole idea of height speakers and sell my extra SR 8080?
Spazdoc is online now  
post #31960 of 31963 Old Today, 11:30 AM
Senior Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazdoc View Post
So i had a busy couple days. Baja had one SR 8080 at a steal, so I am getting that in a few days. I was at my local shop (Abt) to get some Sonos for the house, and they were running a good sale on the SR 8080, so I picked up a pair, figuring I would replace the rear SR8040 with SR 8080. Reviewing my Marantz AVR manual I found out that it will run 9.1, but I have to choose between Front Height and Front Wide. Argh! Not a decision I was expecting to make.

So, my current set up will be as follows:
BP-8060ST front (2)
CS-8060HD center (1)
SR-8080BP surround L/R (2)
SR-8040BP surround back (2)
HSU VTF-15H sub (1)
Marantz 6008 (110 W /channel)

So I will have one extra SR 8080. I do not want to add the finances yet for another pair of towers for Wide Front (have curtains and acoustic treatments I want to do first).

Can I use the SR 8080 as Front Height speakers, or should I get a Mythos Gem (or similar directional speaker) for front height?
Since my ceiling is 7.5 feet high, should I just bag the whole idea of height speakers and sell my extra SR 8080?
I'd sell it and put the money toward something, with the shallow ceiling and what your using for a front stage, I think the wides will end up being more impressive in the long run.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #31961 of 31963 Old Today, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LowellG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Helotes, TX
Posts: 1,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazdoc View Post
So i had a busy couple days. Baja had one SR 8080 at a steal, so I am getting that in a few days. I was at my local shop (Abt) to get some Sonos for the house, and they were running a good sale on the SR 8080, so I picked up a pair, figuring I would replace the rear SR8040 with SR 8080. Reviewing my Marantz AVR manual I found out that it will run 9.1, but I have to choose between Front Height and Front Wide. Argh! Not a decision I was expecting to make.

So, my current set up will be as follows:
BP-8060ST front (2)
CS-8060HD center (1)
SR-8080BP surround L/R (2)
SR-8040BP surround back (2)
HSU VTF-15H sub (1)
Marantz 6008 (110 W /channel)

So I will have one extra SR 8080. I do not want to add the finances yet for another pair of towers for Wide Front (have curtains and acoustic treatments I want to do first).

Can I use the SR 8080 as Front Height speakers, or should I get a Mythos Gem (or similar directional speaker) for front height?
Since my ceiling is 7.5 feet high, should I just bag the whole idea of height speakers and sell my extra SR 8080?

You only have 13.5 across the front as well. I don't think you mentioned how big you screen was, but I have 12 feet across the front and 9 foot ceilings with a 120" screen and have ruled out both. I just don't think I would get a separation. I am glad you are getting 4, 8080s. Put those as your surrounds and sell the 8040s. That will give you the same drivers and tweeters in all seven speakers. Acoustic treatments are very important.

Lowell


The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
LowellG is online now  
post #31962 of 31963 Old Today, 01:12 PM
Senior Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhkowner View Post
So being new to def tech is there a preferred method to wire for optimal performance? Finishing framing right now and working on my speaker wire configuration. Not sure if I need to run two pairs of wires to each of the mains and center.
Most will say it's not needed, but honestly it will depend on what you like, if it were me in your situation, run two sets anyway, it won't hurt to just run the wire and terminate it at the wall, the plate will be the same size, just extra connectors. Figure it this way, you'll only have the opportunity to do this once inside the wall with such ease, better to cover the bases for the cost of a little extra wire while it's far easier, then you'll have the option of experimenting with different type of connections if "you"want to, I just couldn't see limiting yourself now and possibly regretting it later, for such a smaller extra investment.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #31963 of 31963 Old Today, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LowellG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Helotes, TX
Posts: 1,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Most will say it's not needed, but honestly it will depend on what you like, if it were me in your situation, run two sets anyway, it won't hurt to just run the wire and terminate it at the wall, the plate will be the same size, just extra connectors. Figure it this way, you'll only have the opportunity to do this once inside the wall with such ease, better to cover the bases for the cost of a little extra wire while it's far easier, then you'll have the option of experimenting with different type of connections if "you"want to, I just couldn't see limiting yourself now and possibly regretting it later, for such a smaller extra investment.
I would agree, it's only going to add a few hundred to a build. I am having lessons learned from my build about a year and a half ago. I would add the double fronts, plus look at what is going on with Atmos and also add at least 1 extra sub jack to the back wall if not one in each corner.

Lowell


The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
LowellG is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off