Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1067 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31981 of 31993 Old 12-24-2014, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 28
One of my Supercube III's arrived today, looks so funny having this little 10" cube sitting where one of my 18" cube PF1500's used to be...works just fine though for what I'm doing with it, but the III's are definitely going to end up with the rears and going to at least II's for the side surrounds.
Didn't know how much I really missed using more than one Sub until I put this one back up front, whole nother animal again, walked outside and you could tell the walls were shaking...lol.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31982 of 31993 Old 12-24-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
Just bought 2 pairs of 64/A's from bajawaverunner. By the way-Chet is still at DT. I think maybe some people were confusing him with the Social Media guy that was frequenting this forum until just recently when he left for another company.
Cools beans, do you already have a Atmos AVR? It will be a while before I upgrade to one so I'm curious how it works out with your system.
post #31983 of 31993 Old 12-24-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering upgrading my current setup and was thinking of ceiling speakers and in wall speakers to get to ATMOS and possibly improve my current system. I would like recommendations based on my room configuration and limitations. Room is 209 square feet, 1672 cubic foot. Main viewing area is in the dual recliner and occasionally someone will sit on the couch. My wife can not tell the difference in upgraded speakers in an automobile so my upgrades are not Wife approved normally so i just install and ask forgiveness later. So far the only issue has been the larger sub.

I have a 7.2 setup currently but based on my room configuration i do not have the speakers at the ideal heights. I am considering going to an ATMOS setup in the near future. Current configuration:
I have a 65 inch flatscreen with the speakers on each side and underneath center using:
Promonitor 1000 Front left and Right
Procenter 2000 center speaker.

1 subwoofer is on floor below front left it is a BIC PL200
another sub (Prosub 600) is on floor behind dual recliner below rear surround right.

surround left and right are Promonitor 800's located on wall at junction of ceiling aimed at dual recliner
back surround left and right are just to left and right of dual recliner at junction of ceiling aimed at recliners.

I am thinking using DI 5.5S for surround back left and right just to the outside of the dual recliner
I was going to use the existing pro monitor 600 in current location for ATMOS height back
I was thinking of using DI 5.5R for ATMOS height Front

I have attached the drawing in pdf form of my room so if you have better recommendations i will be open to them. My wife is already unhappy with the sub size at the front left floor level. And i have slowly gone from Promonitor 600 system to what i have now slowly. She didn't notice the upgrade of the Procenter 600 to Procenter 2000. Got lucky.

I am open to other speakers that would match my fronts better but it would just be a step at a time so surround back in wall if recommended would be first to be purchased and installed. Based on my room limitations i am looking forward for your recommendations.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf family room speaker setup - Mod.pdf (12.4 KB, 6 views)

post #31984 of 31993 Old 12-24-2014, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been out of the audio game for a long time, but we are building a house with a media room. The media room is 17.5 feet long by 13.5 wide. I want to upgrade my speakers from an old JBL HTIB system. I noticed Newegg has the Def Tech SM350s on sale for $159.99 a pair and the Def Tech BP8B on sale for $179.99 each. I was thinking about either of the following set ups.

SM 350s all around... front left, front center, surrounds and rears
or
BP8B for front right and front left and then the SM350s for surrounds and rears.

I would obviously buy a sub and center as budget and sales permit. I will not be able to use any of them for about 4 months as the slab is about to be poured.

I have an Onkyo TX-SR606 that I have been using as my receiver.
Specs for Onkyo receiver - onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-SR606&class=Receiver

Which set up do you guys think would be best? Would the Onkyo 606 be powerful enough drive either of these set ups?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jbud55; 12-24-2014 at 04:01 PM.
post #31985 of 31993 Old 12-24-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbud55 View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been out of the audio game for a long time, but we are building a house with a media room. The media room is 17.5 feet long by 13.5 wide. I want to upgrade my speakers from an old JBL HTIB system. I noticed Newegg has the Def Tech SM350s on sale for $159.99 a pair and the Def Tech BP8B on sale for $179.99 each. I was thinking about either of the following set ups.

or
BP8B for front right and front left and then the SM350s for surrounds and rears.

I would obviously buy a sub and center as budget and sales permit. I will not be able to use any of them for about 4 months as the slab is about to be poured.

Specs for Onkyo receiver - onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-SR606&class=Receiver

Which set up do you guys think would be best? Would the Onkyo 606 be powerful enough drive either of these set ups?

Thanks in advance.
The 606 will be more than enough to power them. My advice, spend the extra to get 4 SM450's and then go find a used CLR1000b on eBay. They can be had for around $100. You have the time. The larger drivers will make a huge difference and the CLR1000b is an excellent center. The 450's are excellent speakers. You can add two nice subs later on and you will have a nice system. You could also stay on the lookout for a nice used Def Tech system on CL or eBay. Just my .02.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
post #31986 of 31993 Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbud55;30me4

or

Thanks in advance.
I'll second what Badger said, in that space I would choose the 450's over the 350's or BP8's , you could save a little however by just getting 2 450's for the fronts and 350's for the rears, but if the 450's aren't an option, then The difference between the 350's and the 8's are going to be mostly aesthetic, towers or bookshelves.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #31987 of 31993 Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjfjr View Post
I am considering upgrading my current setup and was thinking of ceiling speakers and in wall speakers to get to ATMOS and possibly improve my current system. I would like recommendations based on my room configuration and limitations. Room is 209 square feet, 1672 cubic foot. Main viewing area is in the dual recliner and occasionally someone will sit on the couch. My wife can not tell the difference in upgraded speakers in an automobile so my upgrades are not Wife approved normally so i just install and ask forgiveness later. So far the only issue has been the larger sub.

I have a 7.2 setup currently but based on my room configuration i do not have the speakers at the ideal heights. I am considering going to an ATMOS setup in the near future. Current configuration:
I have a 65 inch flatscreen with the speakers on each side and underneath center using:
Promonitor 1000 Front left and Right
Procenter 2000 center speaker.

1 subwoofer is on floor below front left it is a BIC PL200
another sub (Prosub 600) is on floor behind dual recliner below rear surround right.

surround left and right are Promonitor 800's located on wall at junction of ceiling aimed at dual recliner
back surround left and right are just to left and right of dual recliner at junction of ceiling aimed at recliners.

I am thinking using DI 5.5S for surround back left and right just to the outside of the dual recliner
I was going to use the existing pro monitor 600 in current location for ATMOS height back
I was thinking of using DI 5.5R for ATMOS height Front

I have attached the drawing in pdf form of my room so if you have better recommendations i will be open to them. My wife is already unhappy with the sub size at the front left floor level. And i have slowly gone from Promonitor 600 system to what i have now slowly. She didn't notice the upgrade of the Procenter 600 to Procenter 2000. Got lucky.

I am open to other speakers that would match my fronts better but it would just be a step at a time so surround back in wall if recommended would be first to be purchased and installed. Based on my room limitations i am looking forward for your recommendations.
It's hard to tell for sure without dimensions, but if that is drawn to scale you really need to separate your surround backs and surrounds. Also, you might want to consider going 5.3.4. Instead of the 7.3.4 config. Also, the DI 5.5s would be fine, but you could also hang PM 800s from the ceiling.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #31988 of 31993 Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
I'll second what Badger said, in that space I would choose the 450's over the 350's or BP8's , you could save a little however by just getting 2 450's for the fronts and 350's for the rears, but if the 450's aren't an option, then The difference between the 350's and the 8's are going to be mostly aesthetic, towers or bookshelves.
I third this. If you look at my setup I went with SM 65s for true full range towers. I owned the 350s when the came out and they are very detailed.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #31989 of 31993 Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post
Cools beans, do you already have a Atmos AVR? It will be a while before I upgrade to one so I'm curious how it works out with your system.
Not yet. Just getting ready for the upgrade in a couple/few years. I'm using an older Yamaha RX-Z11. It's the last flagship caliber receiver they made, and until something as substantial as that comes out I'm not ready to make the change. I just got my HT back together after the last upgrade, and I really need to keep it in operational mode for awhile as it's been down more than up during it's 18 year run.
post #31990 of 31993 Old Today, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
Not yet. Just getting ready for the upgrade in a couple/few years. I'm using an older Yamaha RX-Z11. It's the last flagship caliber receiver they made, and until something as substantial as that comes out I'm not ready to make the change. I just got my HT back together after the last upgrade, and I really need to keep it in operational mode for awhile as it's been down more than up during it's 18 year run.
Steve I'm the same way, I've only had my current setup for 7 years. I even just had pioneer elite 92txh fixed for $75, as I really don't want to buy a new receiver now with the atmos, 4k, and who knows when they will update hdmi 2.0. Also the receiver/speaker setup still sounds great!
post #31991 of 31993 Old Today, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumavguy View Post
Steve I'm the same way, I've only had my current setup for 7 years. I even just had pioneer elite 92txh fixed for $75, as I really don't want to buy a new receiver now with the atmos, 4k, and who knows when they will update hdmi 2.0. Also the receiver/speaker setup still sounds great!

Did you really mean "only 7 years". I think I have had at least 3 different setups in the past 7 years.

Lowell

post #31992 of 31993 Old Today, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
Did you really mean "only 7 years". I think I have had at least 3 different setups in the past 7 years.
Don't you mean 7 setups in the last three years Granted, I don't have a dedicated theater, but if I can hang onto my ST-L's for more than 14 months then that'll be a new record for me.
post #31993 of 31993 Old Today, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post
Don't you mean 7 setups in the last three years Granted, I don't have a dedicated theater, but if I can hang onto my ST-L's for more than 14 months then that'll be a new record for me.

I know, it can be crazy sometimes. I am debating on the whole Atmos thing right now which would make my 4th change. On top of that, I am thinking of switching from Def Tech to Klipsch THX sealed in walls.

Lowell

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page