Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES MCHUGHES View Post
Dual psa xv30f
Dual psa xs30

Is that the same house with 4 subs. Holy crap, that's a lot of bass if it is.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32012 of 32038 Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
[QUOTE=LowellG;30249658]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES MCHUGHES View Post
Dual psa xv30f
Dual psa xs30

Is that the same house with 4 subs. Holy crap, that's a lot of bass if it is. [/QUOTE
Yes the same house lol
post #32013 of 32038 Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
No, I was talking about connecting the Front Full Range Pre-outs to the RCA inputs on the St's, sometimes this will give you a different sounding bass profile. Also, what are are your receiver settings for your Fronts, Large, Small, and if small, where are the crossovers set at? Technically your still using your woofers in the ST's, just not as Subs, in most cases, the powered woofers really add to the soundstage when set properly. I'm curious about your settings more than running the Full Range signal out too the speakers.
I just changed a few things around, let me know what you think.

On the Yamaha I have 2 subwoofer RCA outs. (front and rear)

I have a splitter goings into the fronts and then splits to the Left Mythos ST. The other Cable goes to the Left SVS sub. From there the Left Mythos is connected to a splitter to connect the LFE on the Left and Right Mythos. Then the RCA to the Left SVS sub is split to connect to the LFE on the Left and Right SVS. I have the Mythos set to large and sub enabled.

I'm not sure if there would be a benefit to removing the splitting going into the yamaha and having the Mythos ST connect into the rear sub input. It sounds pretty good now but i'm sure there are still settings I should adjust.

The mythos ST only has a LFE input and then speaker inputs. The SVS does have additional inputs but I don't think my Yamaha has an output for them.
post #32014 of 32038 Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4llz View Post
I just changed a few things around, let me know what you think.

On the Yamaha I have 2 subwoofer RCA outs. (front and rear)

I have a splitter goings into the fronts and then splits to the Left Mythos ST. The other Cable goes to the Left SVS sub. From there the Left Mythos is connected to a splitter to connect the LFE on the Left and Right Mythos. Then the RCA to the Left SVS sub is split to connect to the LFE on the Left and Right SVS. I have the Mythos set to large and sub enabled.

I'm not sure if there would be a benefit to removing the splitting going into the yamaha and having the Mythos ST connect into the rear sub input. It sounds pretty good now but i'm sure there are still settings I should adjust.

The mythos ST only has a LFE input and then speaker inputs. The SVS does have additional inputs but I don't think my Yamaha has an output for them.
Sorry I'm having trouble picturing your connection, sounds like your basically just splitting the the LFE signal into the ST's which of course will work.
Even though the inputs on the speakers say LFE it's actually a low level input to the amp for the woofer, while yes it was designed to be used a Sub/LFE input, it can also be a simple low level connection too, remember LFE isn't simply low frequency sounds, it is it's own discrete Low Frequency Channel, there are still other Low Frequency sounds that are coming from the the front channels.

It will still make a difference with your Large/Small & Crossover settings.

If you run just speaker wire to the ST's the Sub's/Powered Woofers will still work, again just not for LFE content.
Check your settings, I'd start with just running speaker wire to the ST's set your Fronts to Small with a 40hz crossover setting, this will send everything from 40hz and up to your Fronts, and everything below to the Subs.
Set your Subs to whatever best matches their actual location, this setting may effect Sub Phase when using two Subs.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #32015 of 32038 Old Today, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok for the Def Tech owners out there. I have an all DT home theater. I have 7002's for mains, Mythos ones for surrounds, I forget the center[maybe CLR2000]? And I have a Super cube II for a sub. I want to replace the 7002's for a forward firing speaker. I was thinking about the STS, or do you think I could get away with another pair of Mythos ones? My room is kinda small, but not tiny or anything. I just want to move away from the bipolar thing, just doesn't work for my current room. Thanks for any suggestions or help.
post #32016 of 32038 Old Today, 08:01 AM

Never mind, I was not even up on Def Tech products. They don't make the Mythos ones anymore. I could still got the STS route but what about buying the Studio Monitor 65's for surrounds and moving the Mythos ones to mains? Then i just let the Super cube II to the low end heavy lifting? Thanks again for the help.
post #32017 of 32038 Old Today, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pftechnician View Post
Never mind, I was not even up on Def Tech products. They don't make the Mythos ones anymore. I could still got the STS route but what about buying the Studio Monitor 65's for surrounds and moving the Mythos ones to mains? Then i just let the Super cube II to the low end heavy lifting? Thanks again for the help.
I was going to say, go with the One's anyway (even of you find a used pair) the 5.25 drivers would be similar to what your used to and also be a good match for your center. (I've always preferred a larger mid driver for HT)
You could actually save a little and just go with the SM45's instead of the 65's for surrounds.
Between the savings of the surrounds and the fronts a second sub would be a great idea to add to that lifting, either a used SC-II or a SC-4000 or 6000 would be a good match for your existing SC-II.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; Today at 09:04 AM.
post #32018 of 32038 Old Today, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I was going to say, go with the One's anyway (even of you find a used pair) the 5.25 drivers would be similar to what your used to and also be a good match for your center. (I've always preferred a larger mid driver for HT)
You could actually save a little and just go with the SM45's instead of the 65's for surrounds.
Between the savings of the surrounds and the fronts a second sub would be a great idea to add to that lifting, either a used SC-II or a SC-4000 or 6000 would be a good match for your existing SC-II.
Thanks for the help. I don't know which way to go. Great suggestions though. I saw a GREAT review from Audioholics on the 65's and they were gushing about them. Hmm....what to do?
post #32019 of 32038 Old Today, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I don't know which way to go. Great suggestions though. I saw a GREAT review from Audioholics on the 65's and they were gushing about them. Hmm....what to do?

I would say the same thing as Alt. Get a used pair of Mythos Ones if you have room for the others as surrounds. However, I have the SM65s as mains sitting on top of subs and they are awesome, very clear and detailed. Here is another thought. If I were you, I would move the Ones to your mains and get 45s for surrounds or even PM1000s and invest in a better aftermarket sub. That's if you are in your own home where it won't impact your neighbors.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #32020 of 32038 Old Today, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question for def tech users.
I have bp 8020 l/r mains
And an 8060 center have them all set to large. What are your thoughts.
My surrounds are small energy satalites x4 for a 7.1 set up. and I have a crossover set at 100 hz. I was also thinking of getting some def tech surrounds to go with my currents any suggestions. Will it change the sound much? The satellite spekers are rated to 115 hz I find I can localize the bass. I as thinking of moving the sub to the back of the room seeing as the fronts all,have subs already. I'm only running the LFE to the sub. Should I run it to the towers?
Oh and I have a sper cube sub.
post #32021 of 32038 Old Today, 09:23 AM

I also find they sound better with no eq on my avr otherwise there to bright.
post #32022 of 32038 Old Today, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coriehc View Post
Question for def tech users.
I have bp 8020 l/r mains
And an 8060 center have them all set to large. What are your thoughts.
My surrounds are small energy satalites x4 for a 7.1 set up. and I have a crossover set at 100 hz. I was also thinking of getting some def tech surrounds to go with my currents any suggestions. Will it change the sound much? The satellite spekers are rated to 115 hz I find I can localize the bass. I as thinking of moving the sub to the back of the room seeing as the fronts all,have subs already. I'm only running the LFE to the sub. Should I run it to the towers?
Oh and I have a sper cube sub.
OK, you have a nice little setup, but don't let Def Tech's marketing fool you. You have powered woofers up front, not subs. I would have your entire front crossed at 40 or 60 with a good sub, but those won't replace your sub. You are missing a lot of bass, but maybe your living conditions won't allow for more. As for surrounds, I always prefer things with the same tonal match. I doubt your Energy's match your Def Techs. I would look at getting PM800s or 1000s for surrounds. I know when I didn't have matching speakers, I could here the difference in transitions from front to back.

Lowell

post #32023 of 32038 Old Today, 09:31 AM

Liked: 12
Just wondering if i should upgrade my setup. Currently have 7 def tech sm45's with a svs-pb-2000. The sound is awesome however im thinking of adding a 2nd svs-pb 2000 and fear this may over power my sm 45's. What would be the best def techs to pair with this or should i be ok with the sm 45's.
post #32024 of 32038 Old Today, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
For HT, I've always preferred either a 6.5" or 5.25" driver (in that order) and with that in mind you would have more than a few other choices that I think would work better than the 8060's (of course depending on how much of a deal you could get), taking cost out of the equation I would place the Supertower's in this order:
1. 3000 / 7000
2. 2000
3. 7001
4. 2002 / 7002 / 8080
5. 2004 / 7004
6. 2006 / 7006 / 8060 / 8040
7. 8020
There is someone locally selling BP2000's for $1200. Also another person selling BP7002 with CLR2500 for $1300. And another person selling BP2000's for $800 but the drive is about 4hr drive. For the first 2, I will try to get them to go down, hopefully to sub $1000. If that is the case, how much more different or better is the BP2000 vs. the BP7002?

I currently have the BP8020ST and CS8040 as my center so I know I will have to upgrade them if I get the BP2000 or BP7002 later so...I may also try to get the BP2000 with the CLR2500 if possible but might be out of my range at this time. If I cannot, the CS8040 should be ok with with BP2000 for now even though the mids are different sizes? Does that make that much of a difference?

Thanks in advance.

post #32025 of 32038 Old Today, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bruce View Post
Just wondering if i should upgrade my setup. Currently have 7 def tech sm45's with a svs-pb-2000. The sound is awesome however im thinking of adding a 2nd svs-pb 2000 and fear this may over power my sm 45's. What would be the best def techs to pair with this or should i be ok with the sm 45's.

The SM45s are great all the way around, just add the second sub. The one other option may be to get the 8060 or 8080 CC. Other than that, cross the 45s at 80 all the way around and enjoy. Make sure to try the subs in multiple locations if you can. That will help balance things.

Lowell

post #32026 of 32038 Old Today, 09:36 AM

So should the be set to small with the crossover or left at large. My avr only allows I vrossover
post #32027 of 32038 Old Today, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post
There is someone locally selling BP2000's for $1200. Also another person selling BP7002 with CLR2500 for $1300. And another person selling BP2000's for $800 but the drive is about 4hr drive. For the first 2, I will try to get them to go down, hopefully to sub $1000. If that is the case, how much more different or better is the BP2000 vs. the BP7002?

I currently have the BP8020ST and CS8040 as my center so I know I will have to upgrade them if I get the BP2000 or BP7002 later so...I may also try to get the BP2000 with the CLR2500 if possible but might be out of my range at this time. If I cannot, the CS8040 should be ok with with BP2000 for now even though the mids are different sizes? Does that make that much of a difference?

Thanks in advance.
The 2000s will dwarf the 8040 CC. The 7002s/2500 would be a significant upgrade from your current front end. I even talked to a Def Tech rep about 8 years ago who said he thought their 5.25 driver was the best they ever created. It will give you better mids than the 6.5s and you have plenty of bass. If you have room, move the 8020s to surrounds.

Lowell

post #32028 of 32038 Old Today, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So should the be set to small with the crossover or left at large. My avr only allows I vrossover

So your small crossover is still crossing at 100Hz? Most cross around 80Hz. If you set it to large, where does it cross. You are really missing the capabilities of your front soundstage that way.

Lowell

post #32029 of 32038 Old Today, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
So your small crossover is still crossing at 100Hz? Most cross around 80Hz. If you set it to large, where does it cross. You are really missing the capabilities of your front soundstage that way.
It's a universal crossover I've set at 100 HZ due to my satalites frequency low of 115 HZ. The fronts and center are set to large (full range) so no crossover. And the LFE set to plus I was under the impression due to the limited lower frequency of my satalites that I needse to bump my crossover higher or I would have a gap,in the sound from the surrounds.
post #32030 of 32038 Old Today, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's a universal crossover I've set at 100 HZ due to my satalites frequency low of 115 HZ. The fronts and center are set to large (full range) so no crossover. And the LFE set to plus I was under the impression due to the limited lower frequency of my satalites that I needse to bump my crossover higher or I would have a gap,in the sound from the surrounds.

OK, then you should be fine. I thought you meant all were crossed at 100Hz. You mentioned you had a 7.1, what's your sub?

Lowell

post #32031 of 32038 Old Today, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
OK, then you should be fine. I thought you meant all were crossed at 100Hz. You mentioned you had a 7.1, what's your sub?
Super cube 2000
post #32032 of 32038 Old Today, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Super cube 2000
Any thoughts on the yes versus plus setting on the LFE
post #32033 of 32038 Old Today, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would leave it at the LFE + Mains. That's how mine is set up. I tried it both ways and it seams best.

Lowell

post #32034 of 32038 Old Today, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I would say the same thing as Alt. Get a used pair of Mythos Ones if you have room for the others as surrounds. However, I have the SM65s as mains sitting on top of subs and they are awesome, very clear and detailed. Here is another thought. If I were you, I would move the Ones to your mains and get 45s for surrounds or even PM1000s and invest in a better aftermarket sub. That's if you are in your own home where it won't impact your neighbors.
Are the 45's good enough for surrounds? are the 65's maybe overkill? Unfortunately I don't feel comfortable buying used Mythos ones. Hey if I were to sell which is what I would like to, the 7002's. How much you think I could get? That could pay for my 65's or 45's plus like a really good SVS sub? I live in a condo, but have never had complaints about the sound of the HT and I have pushed it pretty good at times. Thanks again for the help.
post #32035 of 32038 Old Today, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I agree with Lowell, leave it on plus since your only using a SC2000 for your sub.

My Build Thread:
post #32036 of 32038 Old Today, 11:05 AM

Quote:
No doubt the 65's are great and for Fronts the would be better, but since your them for surrounds I was thinking savings would be better spent on a second Sub.

My Build Thread:
post #32037 of 32038 Old Today, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
The 2000s will dwarf the 8040 CC. The 7002s/2500 would be a significant upgrade from your current front end. I even talked to a Def Tech rep about 8 years ago who said he thought their 5.25 driver was the best they ever created. It will give you better mids than the 6.5s and you have plenty of bass. If you have room, move the 8020s to surrounds.
Yeah I assumed the 2000's would be much more of an upgrade that my BP8020ST at this time. I was trying to see how the 2000's would differ than the 7002's and if it was that much of a difference. I know the 7002 or the 2000's would be a significant upgrade for what I currently have. Just trying to see if I should get the 7002 with the CLR2500 for the fronts and center vs. just getting the 2000's at this time and getting a separate channel later on.

I wasn't sure if getting the 2000's now with the current CS8040 would sound off b/c of the driver difference. I just know the size is different but I am not sure if it will be that off to sound off or not correct, would it?

Best bang right now is the 7002s/2500 combo b/c of the center it comes with. Also the 7002 came out after the 2000 so is newer, but if the 2000s is much better, than I may just go with that, but I am thinking the 7002 is still good enough since it appears that that speaker is similar to the current BP8080ST, and if so, that should be a really nice upgrade.

Good to know that the 5.25 mids were the best they made, that would make me feel better if I went with the 7002...

Anybody else have any thoughts, which would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

post #32038 of 32038 Unread Today, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post

Thanks in advance.
Personally I'm a little biased here, I the BP2000's and feel they may be the best speaker DefTech ever made, that's just me, and the addition of 2000's wouldn't match well with your current center, the BP7002/2500 combo would be a "complete" front stage.
As for the "of you get lucky" I did use the BP2000/CLR2500 combo and really liked it, it would be only other choice other than a CLR3000.

Quote:
This is one off the places Lowell and I differ, personally I prefer the 6.5" drivers over the 5.25's for HT, think larger drivers help with the effects portion of what your fronts in HT deliver, but for music I'd choose a 5.25 anything else.
But again the 7002/2500 combo would a really good and "complete" front section, you wouldn't have to add or change anything.

My Build Thread:
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread