post #32041 of 32045 Old Today, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazdoc View Post
Thank you for putting the different DT towers into some order. The Mythos ST got me interested in DT, but for HT I preferred the sound of 8060 over the Mythos and other similar speakers such as M&L and B&W and Klipsch (no 8080 on the floor when I purchased). Out of curiosity, is your hierarchy based on specs and reviews or personal evaluation/audition?

If I decide to upgrade my 8060, which set would work well with my CS-8060HD center and SR-8080 surrounds?

I would go with the newest 8080s, but also upgrade the CC. However, the biggest lesson I have learned after multiple upgrades is more quality bass is best. What's your sub situation like?

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32042 of 32045 Old Today, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can get a pair of SM55's for 400 bucks with free shipping. What do you think? Its from Ebay from a seller with 98.1 positive feedback. Is it crazy to buy from Ebay or its ok now? I always wanted to try it with Def Techs.
post #32043 of 32045 Old Today, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
Quote:
Thank you for putting the different DT towers into some order. The Mythos ST got me interested in DT, but for HT I preferred the sound of 8060 over the Mythos and other similar speakers such as M&L and B&W and Klipsch (no 8080 on the floor when I purchased). Out of curiosity, is your hierarchy based on specs and reviews or personal evaluation/audition?

If I decide to upgrade my 8060, which set would work well with my CS-8060HD center and SR-8080 surrounds?

I would go with the newest 8080s, but also upgrade the CC. However, the biggest lesson I have learned after multiple upgrades is more quality bass is best. What's your sub situation like?
I was thinking of looking for a pair of 2000 or 7001 (edited above), as 8080 seem pretty similar to my 8060. Would I notice much of a difference in going to 2000 or 7001?

I have an HSU VTF 15H for my sub. Maybe I am better off adding a second VTF 15H sub rather than upgrade the 8060.
post #32044 of 32045 Old Today, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

If I decide to upgrade my 8060 (to 2000 or 7001, for example), which set would work well with my CS-8060HD center and SR-8080 surrounds?
It was just "my" opinion from a combination of personal experience and research, I just prefer the monster towers for theater, just the way I am with my HT stuff, but don't forget, I'll be the first to admit it, I tend to lean toward the extreme, and it's not for everyone.

And I agree with Lowell, the 8080 would be the best matching upgraded for what you have without feeling like something else is then lacking.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #32045 of 32045 Old Today, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pftechnician View Post
I can get a pair of SM55's for 400 bucks with free shipping. What do you think? Its from Ebay from a seller with 98.1 positive feedback. Is it crazy to buy from Ebay or its ok now? I always wanted to try it with Def Techs.
I've bought plenty things from e-bay, both resellers and individuals, one thing you'll find about the DefTech's and other higher end speakers, most people who spent this kind of money on equipment tend to take care of it well.

Personally I'd opt for the deal Newegg has right now for the SM450'S @ $250 a pair, but that's just me I prefer the older stuff, I just don't think the 55's are worth $150 more than the 450's. But keep in mind, the SM450'S need more room to breath on the sides as opposed to the SM55's which need the openness on top, so they will fit into a smaller space.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page