post #32041 of 32052 Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazdoc View Post
Thank you for putting the different DT towers into some order. The Mythos ST got me interested in DT, but for HT I preferred the sound of 8060 over the Mythos and other similar speakers such as M&L and B&W and Klipsch (no 8080 on the floor when I purchased). Out of curiosity, is your hierarchy based on specs and reviews or personal evaluation/audition?

If I decide to upgrade my 8060, which set would work well with my CS-8060HD center and SR-8080 surrounds?

I would go with the newest 8080s, but also upgrade the CC. However, the biggest lesson I have learned after multiple upgrades is more quality bass is best. What's your sub situation like?
Spazdoc likes this.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32042 of 32052 Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can get a pair of SM55's for 400 bucks with free shipping. What do you think? Its from Ebay from a seller with 98.1 positive feedback. Is it crazy to buy from Ebay or its ok now? I always wanted to try it with Def Techs.
post #32043 of 32052 Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
Quote:
Thank you for putting the different DT towers into some order. The Mythos ST got me interested in DT, but for HT I preferred the sound of 8060 over the Mythos and other similar speakers such as M&L and B&W and Klipsch (no 8080 on the floor when I purchased). Out of curiosity, is your hierarchy based on specs and reviews or personal evaluation/audition?

If I decide to upgrade my 8060, which set would work well with my CS-8060HD center and SR-8080 surrounds?

I would go with the newest 8080s, but also upgrade the CC. However, the biggest lesson I have learned after multiple upgrades is more quality bass is best. What's your sub situation like?
I was thinking of looking for a pair of 2000 or 7001 (edited above), as 8080 seem pretty similar to my 8060. Would I notice much of a difference in going to 2000 or 7001?

I have an HSU VTF 15H for my sub. Maybe I am better off adding a second VTF 15H sub rather than upgrade the 8060.
post #32044 of 32052 Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

If I decide to upgrade my 8060 (to 2000 or 7001, for example), which set would work well with my CS-8060HD center and SR-8080 surrounds?
It was just "my" opinion from a combination of personal experience and research, I just prefer the monster towers for theater, just the way I am with my HT stuff, but don't forget, I'll be the first to admit it, I tend to lean toward the extreme, and it's not for everyone.

And I agree with Lowell, the 8080 would be the best matching upgraded for what you have without feeling like something else is then lacking.

Quote:
I was thinking of looking for a pair of 2000 or 7001 (edited above), as 8080 seem pretty similar to my 8060. Would I notice much of a difference in going to 2000 or 7001?

I have an HSU VTF 15H for my sub. Maybe I am better off adding a second VTF 15H sub rather than upgrade the 8060.
Yes a second Sub would be the first addition I'd make considering what you already have, it amazing what a second Sub can do to the whole experience, I pulled two of mine for a while to use them as powered woofers for my surrounds (left me with only one), couldn't believe the difference and what I was missing when I put it back, even though I was still using them, the fact that it wasn't as subs was what really the difference.
Spazdoc likes this.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; Yesterday at 05:52 PM.
post #32045 of 32052 Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pftechnician View Post
I can get a pair of SM55's for 400 bucks with free shipping. What do you think? Its from Ebay from a seller with 98.1 positive feedback. Is it crazy to buy from Ebay or its ok now? I always wanted to try it with Def Techs.
I've bought plenty things from e-bay, both resellers and individuals, one thing you'll find about the DefTech's and other higher end speakers, most people who spent this kind of money on equipment tend to take care of it well.

Personally I'd opt for the deal Newegg has right now, e-bay, for the SM450'S @ $250 a pair, but that's just me I prefer the older stuff, I just don't think the 55's are worth $150 more than the 450's. But keep in mind, the SM450'S need more room to breath on the sides as opposed to the SM55's which need the openness on top, so they will fit into a smaller space.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
post #32046 of 32052 Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
I've bought plenty things from e-bay, both resellers and individuals, one thing you'll find about the DefTech's and other higher end speakers, most people who spent this kind of money on equipment tend to take care of it well.

Personally I'd opt for the deal Newegg has right now, e-bay, for the SM450'S @ $250 a pair, but that's just me I prefer the older stuff, I just don't think the 55's are worth $150 more than the 450's. But keep in mind, the SM450'S need more room to breath on the sides as opposed to the SM55's which need the openness on top, so they will fit into a smaller space.
The 55's are brand new in the box from a store of some kind. When you say "room to breath" what does that exactly mean? I have lots of space around my surrounds, not in a corner or anything. Nothing above them, not in a cabinet or anything. Thanks again.
post #32047 of 32052 Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pftechnician View Post
The 55's are brand new in the box from a store of some kind. When you say "room to breath" what does that exactly mean? I have lots of space around my surrounds, not in a corner or anything. Nothing above them, not in a cabinet or anything. Thanks again.
Yes, space around them is what I'm referring to, you'd be surprised at the number of people that get bookshelves thinking that they will work well being shoved into a cabinet.

My Build Thread:
post #32048 of 32052 Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, space around them is what I'm referring to, you'd be surprised at the number of people that get bookshelves thinking that they will work well being shoved into a cabinet.
I hate the idea of anything blocking my speakers. I don't care if its a piece of paper, it will effect the sound.
post #32049 of 32052 Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Personally I'm a little biased here, I love the BP2000's and feel they may be the best speaker DefTech ever made, that's just me, and the addition of 2000's wouldn't match well with your current center, the BP7002/2500 combo would be a "complete" front stage.

As for the "if you get lucky" I did use the BP2000/CLR2500 combo and really liked it, it would be only other choice other than a CLR3000.

but for music I'd choose a 5.25 over anything else.
But again the 7002/2500 combo would a really good and "complete" front section, you wouldn't have to add or change anything.
Thanks for the info! The 7002/CLR2500 package will go down to $1200 and the local BP2000 will not budge from his $1200 range. I don't really want to drive 4 hrs but I know the BP2000 are really hard to find locally, in good shape, and good deal. You mention that the 2000's and the current CS8040 would not match well, does that mean it would sound off or too weak? I am trying to see how they would sound together and maybe I may have to bring my center channel to hear them together. Maybe the $900 BP2000 and $300 for CLR2500 for $1200, or just the BP2000's for now and wait to upgrade the center later. I know the center is supposed to be the most important speaker.

Out of curiosity, why would a smaller driver sound better for music? I am only using mine for movies, but just thought I'd ask.

Quote:
Actually I think we are saying the same thing. Even though I don't listen to music a lot, I like movies with musical tracks and the 5.25 are a little better. I keep debating between my 5.25s and 6.5 because I mainly watch movies. If I could find the right combo of a 3 way CC, I might move to 6.5s. Either combo kikk will be great.
Thanks for the input! I am just worried that if I get the 7002 I will say, let me upgrade to the 2000s later on. If I get the 2000s then I know there is no better one to get unless the new ST-L are better and can be had for a good price, which won't happen anytime soon. But then the 7002 comes with a center. I may have to drive 4 hrs with the wife's approval first and get the 2000s and wait out for a center or get the CLR2500 as well. Darn, decisions decisions....life of a noob home theater hobbyist I guess

post #32050 of 32052 Old Today, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
The SM45s are great all the way around, just add the second sub. The one other option may be to get the 8060 or 8080 CC. Other than that, cross the 45s at 80 all the way around and enjoy. Make sure to try the subs in multiple locations if you can. That will help balance things.

Would you reccomend a 8060 or 8080 over just having a sm'45 as the center. I ask because when i upgraded my center from a pro center 1000 i went with a sm'45 because ppl said to match the front soundstage. I do run my center about 4db hot(not sure if that means its underpowerd or not)
post #32051 of 32052 Old Today, 01:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am looking for a pair of Definitive BP2X surround speakers in WHITE if anyone has a pair they would be willing to sell.

Thanks,

DC
post #32052 of 32052 Old Today, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscCollector View Post
I am looking for a pair of Definitive BP2X surround speakers in WHITE if anyone has a pair they would be willing to sell.

Thanks,

DC
Sorry I have them in black.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page