Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1076 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #32251 of 32259 Unread 01-22-2015, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc50 View Post
Hey guys, I finally have my new system as follows and I need a sub to finish it off. I'm not getting the overall base that it need so it looking to add a second sub. Debating the supercube 8000. I use this for a home theatre but mainly listen to music that may range from classic rock, jazz to hiphop. I want a clean hit and some variance without simply a thump. What sub would you guys recommend? Would it even be a deftech sub?

Onkyo tr727
Front l/r: studio 65
Center: mythos 7
Side l/e: dir6.5 (ceiling)
Rear l/r: dir8 (ceiling)
Current sub jbl 10" 150watt.

Room 20x25 10ft ceiling.
Dump the JBL on craigslist and buy the most expensive one you can afford from Rythmic, PSA, SVS or HSU. Any of them will smoke the 8000.
AlexanderDelarg likes this.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32252 of 32259 Unread 01-22-2015, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer93 View Post
Hey guys, I need some advice from Def Tech owners. I was recently gifted an CS8040HD center channel and Marantz SR5006 receiver from my parents who upgraded. Now currently I have a old Yamaha receiver and a JBL HTIB set that has done an ok job over the years but I'm glad I'm finally getting to take a step up.

My questions are:

-What books shelf speakers would you recommend for my LR to go with this setup?
-For the rear LR, what in ceiling would I look at?

I have to go bookshelf front because of how are TV wall is setup so I can't even consider towers. I'd also need more compact of a speaker because of the location on the shelfs. In the rear, I could go either in-ceiling or bookshelf with a ceiling mount, because there is no where to put rears besides ceiling.

The room is fairly small 2500 ft2, 10ft ceiling, on about 6ft viewing distance and the rear ceiling mounts are only about 2 feet behind the viewing area. It does open into the kitchen which is another 2500ish ft2 so the total area is on the bigger side.

I think my down the road upgrade will be the subwoofer and I think I will go with a SVS PB1000 as it seems like the best bang for your buck sub.

Thoughts on speakers I might look at?

Thanks
Best bang for your buck sub IMO - Rythmik LV12R. There are reviews out there that give the head to head nod to the Rythmik as the best sub for under $600.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #32253 of 32259 Unread 01-23-2015, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey guys, over on Emotiva Lounge (and Audiogon) someone is selling a pair of modded BP7002s. In describing the mods, he says that he upgraded the caps and resistors on the crossovers to Mundorf polypropylene (he claims the stocks electronics are all computer grade rather than audio grade). He also says that each if the 4 woofers is placed within a metal "can" whose sole purposes is to provide EM shielding from other devices, and that he removed these cans and added damping material around each driver. And of course he says that taken together the mods offer a noticeable improvement in SQ.

I'm curious as to what you all think about these mods that I've described? The polypropylene electronics seem like they could plausibly offer an improvement. Removing these metal "cans", as he calls them, concerns me. Do they really not serve any function other than reducing EM interference from other devices in a home theater?

Finally, has anyone else out there modded their bipolar towers along the lines of the mods described here, and if so, what was the result?

Thanks!
dabsim likes this.
post #32254 of 32259 Unread 01-23-2015, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
55s would be way better than 800s, but the 45s are all you need and have the same size driver as the 65s.
Thanks.

Yeah. I considered the 45s, but unfortunately with my room layout at the moment, I'm worried about the rear port having enough room to breathe. The top bass radiator makes more sense for me. I also have a really small room and fairly flat response with my speakers now (a slight dip at the highest end), so I'm not sure if spending the money to upgrade is the best choice. I'm actually really considering getting a minidsp 2x4 for my sub.

You have any further advice on that?

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, Darbee Darblet, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, and 2 PM 800s for surrounds.
post #32255 of 32259 Unread 01-23-2015, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post
Best bang for your buck sub IMO - Rythmik LV12R. There are reviews out there that give the head to head nod to the Rythmik as the best sub for under $600.
I'll definitely take a look at that but my question really was on recommended bookshelf and rear LR speakers.

What are the differences between the SM45, ProMonitor 1000 and the Mythos Gem? Would one of those match up better with the cs8040hd? I think I'm going with the ProMonitor 800 for rear LR since I'm mounting them to the ceiling, so should I go with Pro Monitor 1000 for the front or would the SM45 work well also?

"If you have to ask big man, you can't afford it"

Last edited by drummer93; 01-23-2015 at 08:33 AM.
post #32256 of 32259 Unread 01-23-2015, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
I'll definitely take a look at that but my question really was on recommended bookshelf and rear LR speakers.

What are the differences between the SM45, ProMonitor 1000 and the Mythos Gem? Would one of those match up better with the cs8040hd? I think I'm going with the ProMonitor 800 for rear LR since I'm mounting them to the ceiling, so should I go with Pro Monitor 1000 for the front or would the SM45 work well also?
I have the PM 1000's as my front L/R. The SM45's would be a little bit better overall speaker for not much more $. You can't go wrong either way.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #32257 of 32259 Unread Yesterday, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Best match with 8040 center

Quote:

The 8040 center has DefTech's second generation drivers with a bass radiator. It is important that your front speakers match so you have fluid movement of sound artifacts across the stage. The best match would be from the studio monitor line which uses the same technology. The 45, or 55 would be a great choice. The other choices would not be as cohesive.... for you rear surrounds?,, not sure of your options but you might be better to place them a foot or two above ear level .

Richard
post #32258 of 32259 Unread Yesterday, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi guys,

Im looking for a sub to add my current q acoustics speakers 2050i floorstandings, 2000ci centre and 2020 bookshelf speakers as rears.

Definitive Technology SuperCube 3 is one of the speakers on my list. Would SC3 support my speakers sufficiently? I have some concerns as the size of the sub is small, even it has a 650w amp attached to it.

The room size is 35sqm2 and the system will be used for 60% movies and 40% music.

These are the other subs on my list:

Revel Concerta B120
Quadral QUBE 10"
Sunfire SDS10
Svs pb-1000

Im from Australia and prices for these subs are similar, therefore, the cost is not a decision factor. I just like to get the one the most suitable and the best from the list.
Thanks
post #32259 of 32259 Unread Today, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder240 View Post
Hey guys, over on Emotiva Lounge (and Audiogon) someone is selling a pair of modded BP7002s. In describing the mods, he says that he upgraded the caps and resistors on the crossovers to Mundorf polypropylene (he claims the stocks electronics are all computer grade rather than audio grade). He also says that each if the 4 woofers is placed within a metal "can" whose sole purposes is to provide EM shielding from other devices, and that he removed these cans and added damping material around each driver. And of course he says that taken together the mods offer a noticeable improvement in SQ.

I'm curious as to what you all think about these mods that I've described? The polypropylene electronics seem like they could plausibly offer an improvement. Removing these metal "cans", as he calls them, concerns me. Do they really not serve any function other than reducing EM interference from other devices in a home theater?

Finally, has anyone else out there modded their bipolar towers along the lines of the mods described here, and if so, what was the result?

Thanks!
Yeah Thunder, I rewired a pair of Def Tech BP-2000 With silver coated 14 awg 19 strand Teflon coated. It's made a great improvement in the puppet and lower Sonics!
Now I know this isn't exactly in ref to your question? But yes I do believe new propylene pieces could and would make a diff? I bet they sound really good? Especially if he changed out the 18 awg aluminum ,tin wire I found in my DEF TECH speakers? I even called Def Tech and inquired? I even emailed Sandy Gross on this issue? He did tell me where to find his new Line Goldenear? Nothing about the cheap wire? Send me a link to the Def Tech You are talking about here? I'm a member of Audition ,so?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page