Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1083 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #32461 of 32477 Old 02-28-2015, 05:45 PM
Member
 
pftechnician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I finally bought a pair of Studio Monitor 55's to replace my Mythos ones in the surround position. I kinda had to because my 2 year old son was pulling on the Mythos ones wires and almost killing himself. Now I will hang the SM55's on the back wall and have piece of mind. I have them on makeshift stands right now till I install them on the wall, and even though they are not in a perfect position at the right height above the ear, these things sound insane. They are incredibly accurate and insanely detailed. I mean they really did a great job designing these speakers, now I wonder how the 65's sound?
Anyway I have 7002's for main speakers, but do you think the Mythos ones would work better with the SM55's in the surround position? The 7002's are fabulous speakers though, but I though maybe size to size the Mythos might be better suited to work with the SM55's? Please feel free to give your opinions. Any question about the 55's I will try any answer. I've only had them 4 or 5 days but I'll try to answer any questions. Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.
pftechnician is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32462 of 32477 Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM
Member
 
keepinitsimple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What stands do you recommend for the SM 55s and adhesive or whatnot to make sure it does not fall off the stand.
keepinitsimple is online now  
post #32463 of 32477 Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM
Senior Member
 
HotAhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I recently purchased a pair of StudioMonitor 65 speakers and a ProCenter 2000 Center Speaker to go with my already owned ProMonitor 800 rear speakers and an HSU Subwoofer. I had considered going with the ProCenter 1000, but J.D. from AV Science rightly convinced me to go with the 2000. I'm now Definitive Tech. Speakers from front to back (excluding Sub) on a 5.1 System. My last Speaker purchase up front was back in the 1990's. I don't change out quickly or randomly. All I can say is, I'm really enjoying this new set up. If I were to use one word to describe the overall presentation, it would be Accurate. I'm in a small 10x13' room and was really struggling whether to go with the 55's or the 65's. I was really wondering if the 65's would be too much sound for the size of room that I am in. I didn't want instruments to get lost in the confusion of trying to be present among other louder instruments in each track in such a small space. That certainly is not the case with this setup. I listen to a lot of music and each instrument is well represented. The horn solo for example in Lady Gaga's song "Bang Bang" was dynamic and crisp. If you've heard the performance of this song before, you know that the horn solo is meant to sound bold and gripping. And it did! I don't know if Definitive Technology is known as being great at laying out a precise sound stage or not, but, I can tell you this. I am really enjoying listening to my audio collection with my Definitive Technology speakers. Instruments sound like they should and sound as if on stage where they need to be, each in their own place. I've listened to Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga's on stage performance of Cheek to Cheek. I got lost in the performance. I wasn't even thinking about which speaker was kicking out what sound. In my mind the speakers were gone. I was there! I also listened to some ZZ Top, Johnny Cash, Diana Krall, Sophie Milma, Bob Dilan, & Lady Antebellum among others. And I really enjoyed it all, especially the Jazz. It was very nice. I'd like to say one last thing. I also don't know if this is the way it generally works or not, but.... the more I listen to this new setup, the better it sounds. Tight, accurate, and well represented musically is the way I would describe these speakers. They really represent themselves well by stepping out of the way and producing musical renditions in a way that I love to hear them. Well, it's time to go listen to some more music. And tonight, it's movie time. Enjoy!

Marantz SR5004
An HSU VTF Subwoofer & Definitive Technology Speakers
StudioMonitor 65
ProCenter 2000
ProMonitor 800
TiVo Roamio, Roamio Plus, & TiVo Mini

Last edited by HotAhr; Yesterday at 02:00 PM.
HotAhr is online now  
post #32464 of 32477 Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM
Member
 
pftechnician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepinitsimple View Post
What stands do you recommend for the SM 55s and adhesive or whatnot to make sure it does not fall off the stand.
Well I am mounting them on the wall so I haven't really looked into that much, but Definitive makes a stand specifically for these speakers. Studio Monitor stands they are called. If you go on their website and go to the SM55 section, then click on accessories it will bring up these stands. They are 28 1/5 inches tall. They look really nice, and its definitely the way I'd go, but I'm mounting mine on the wall because of my son.
pftechnician is offline  
post #32465 of 32477 Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
JAMES MCHUGHES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just picked up a set of bp2000 towers non TL. Wow these speakers are great sounding I would even say sounded better than my 7001's I had.
I currently have bp7000 in my setup
Thinking maybe use these as surrounds. Anyone ever compare the bp2000 to 7001 and find bp2000 sounding better. I do know the changed mids and tweets after the bp2000 but I think they sound crisper and cleaner than 7001.
Anyone have any input
JAMES MCHUGHES is offline  
post #32466 of 32477 Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Doctor Morbius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indianoplace
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepinitsimple View Post
What stands do you recommend for the SM 55s and adhesive or whatnot to make sure it does not fall off the stand.
There is always Blu Tack, but it will discolor wood. Also, one could use Sorbothane discs. They have a nice tacky feel and have also been proven to reduce vibrations. They will discolor wood also.

I use Sorbothane discs under the feet of my CD transport. They make no audible difference, but they can help keep a CD from skipping during those 105+ dB listening sessions.


Doctor Morbius is offline  
post #32467 of 32477 Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotAhr View Post
I recently purchased a pair of StudioMonitor 65 speakers and a ProCenter 2000 Center Speaker to go with my already owned ProMonitor 800 rear speakers and an HSU Subwoofer. I had considered going with the ProCenter 1000, but J.D. from AV Science rightly convinced me to go with the 2000. I'm now Definitive Tech. Speakers from front to back (excluding Sub) on a 5.1 System. My last Speaker purchase up front was back in the 1990's. I don't change out quickly or randomly. All I can say is, I'm really enjoying this new set up. If I were to use one word to describe the overall presentation, it would be Accurate. I'm in a small 10x13' room and was really struggling whether to go with the 55's or the 65's. I was really wondering if the 65's would be too much sound for the size of room that I am in. I didn't want instruments to get lost in the confusion of trying to be present among other louder instruments in each track in such a small space. That certainly is not the case with this setup. I listen to a lot of music and each instrument is well represented. The horn solo for example in Lady Gaga's song "Bang Bang" was dynamic and crisp. If you've heard the performance of this song before, you know that the horn solo is meant to sound bold and gripping. And it did! I don't know if Definitive Technology is known as being great at laying out a precise sound stage or not, but, I can tell you this. I am really enjoying listening to my audio collection with my Definitive Technology speakers. Instruments sound like they should and sound as if on stage where they need to be, each in their own place. I've listened to Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga's on stage performance of Cheek to Cheek. I got lost in the performance. I wasn't even thinking about which speaker was kicking out what sound. In my mind the speakers were gone. I was there! I also listened to some ZZ Top, Johnny Cash, Diana Krall, Sophie Milma, Bob Dilan, & Lady Antebellum among others. And I really enjoyed it all, especially the Jazz. It was very nice. I'd like to say one last thing. I also don't know if this is the way it generally works or not, but.... the more I listen to this new setup, the better it sounds. Tight, accurate, and well represented musically is the way I would describe these speakers. They really represent themselves well by stepping out of the way and producing musical renditions in a way that I love to hear them. Well, it's time to go listen to some more music. And tonight, it's movie time. Enjoy!
The SM65s sound absolutely fantastic. I haven't listen to a CD on these yet but I did notice the soundtrack on Blood Diamond and Swordfish (Paul oakenfold) are stunning. I really was worried these speakers might be limited due to only being bookshelfs but I couldn't be more wrong.
boosted330 is offline  
post #32468 of 32477 Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM
Senior Member
 
HotAhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted330 View Post
The SM65s sound absolutely fantastic. I haven't listen to a CD on these yet but I did notice the soundtrack on Blood Diamond and Swordfish (Paul oakenfold) are stunning. I really was worried these speakers might be limited due to only being bookshelfs but I couldn't be more wrong.
Hahahah! You know, it is funny that you mentioned that about them being bookshelf speakers. When I received them via UPS, and unboxed them and had them set in my room, I said to my son, "You tell me, are those bookshelf speakers or are they small towers?"

Now, I ask you.. Are they bookshelf speakers or small towers? *GRIN* I know one thing, I didn't use the bookshelf speaker stands that I purchased to set them on. That wouldn't have been safe. Timber!!!!!!!!

Regardless of what they are, bookshelf or tower speakers, I'm keeping them!

Marantz SR5004
An HSU VTF Subwoofer & Definitive Technology Speakers
StudioMonitor 65
ProCenter 2000
ProMonitor 800
TiVo Roamio, Roamio Plus, & TiVo Mini

Last edited by HotAhr; Yesterday at 11:10 PM.
HotAhr is online now  
post #32469 of 32477 Old Today, 08:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotAhr View Post
Hahahah! You know, it is funny that you mentioned that about them being bookshelf speakers. When I received them via UPS, and unboxed them and had them set in my room, I said to my son, "You tell me, are those bookshelf speakers or are they small towers?"

Now, I ask you.. Are they bookshelf speakers or small towers? *GRIN* I know one thing, I didn't use the bookshelf speaker stands that I purchased to set them on. That wouldn't have been safe. Timber!!!!!!!!

Regardless of what they are, bookshelf or tower speakers, I'm keeping them!
They are pretty big for bookshelf speakers, however I have seen some ie Klipsch RB-81 II, that are even larger and are definitely mini towers. They probably would qualify for mini towers. I was a little concerned they'd look huge next to my TV but now that I have my VTF3 which is hugenormous they look proportional to the tv.

Denon X4000 | Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R) | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
boosted330 is offline  
post #32470 of 32477 Old Today, 09:15 AM
Member
 
WarmongerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotAhr View Post
Hahahah! You know, it is funny that you mentioned that about them being bookshelf speakers. When I received them via UPS, and unboxed them and had them set in my room, I said to my son, "You tell me, are those bookshelf speakers or are they small towers?"

Now, I ask you.. Are they bookshelf speakers or small towers? *GRIN* I know one thing, I didn't use the bookshelf speaker stands that I purchased to set them on. That wouldn't have been safe. Timber!!!!!!!!

Regardless of what they are, bookshelf or tower speakers, I'm keeping them!
Funny the timing of your posts recently. This is almost identical to the setup I'll be going to in a week and a half, barring the sub and receiver (Ordering the SVS PB2000 sub this week). I've already ordered the 65's (Had my eye on them for months based on listening to the 55's and posts from here). The PC2000 is also ready to be picked up the same time the 65's come in. I also have PM800's across the rear and I to was worried about the 65's being too much in my room. In fact just before I went ahead and had the local place order them, I was wondering if I should just stick with what I have. So I'm glad to see your post and review of them. Makes me feel I made the right choice.

I'm considering moving the PM1000's to rear duty and picking up another pair of them for Surround Back to change out the all the 800's, having 5.25 drivers all the way around.

I'm also looking at stands as I don't want them sitting on the floor. I was considering the Def Tech Studio Monitor stands since they have about the biggest top plate I can find (8 1/8 x 9 x1/8) at the right height (28"). I'd like to hear what others are using though.

Samsung 65" UN65ES8000FXZA - Pioneer Elite VSX23-TXH - 7.1 Definitive speakers - PM 1000 L/R - PC 1000 - ProSub 800 - PM 800's Surround & Surround Back
WarmongerX is online now  
post #32471 of 32477 Old Today, 09:54 AM
Senior Member
 
fredxr2d2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I use Sanus Steel Series stands and love them. Solid construction and aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Shop around and sometimes you get a deal (Wayfair has good prices on the Sanus usually).

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, Darbee Darblet HD 43%, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-2000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, and 2 SM 55s for surrounds.
fredxr2d2 is online now  
post #32472 of 32477 Old Today, 10:32 AM
Member
 
WarmongerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
I use Sanus Steel Series stands and love them. Solid construction and aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Shop around and sometimes you get a deal (Wayfair has good prices on the Sanus usually).
Looking at those, I like the top plate on the 22's (8.5" x 8.5"), but I want the 26in height (it only has a top plate of 6.5 x 6). I'd even love to get the top plate from the SFC22 (8 x 14") and mount it to the 26's. I know that I'd have to mod the plate a little, but at least I'd only have 1" over hanging on each side instead of 5.

Samsung 65" UN65ES8000FXZA - Pioneer Elite VSX23-TXH - 7.1 Definitive speakers - PM 1000 L/R - PC 1000 - ProSub 800 - PM 800's Surround & Surround Back
WarmongerX is online now  
post #32473 of 32477 Unread Today, 01:18 PM
Member
 
adam320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am moving later on in the week and will be finally able to hook up my new speakers.. I was reading through the manual and it says do not run the receiver's auto set up functions.. Does this mean I should not use Audyssey?

Speakers in question are the 8060 towers, 8080 center and 8080 surrounds with Dennon 4300.. Thanks.
adam320 is online now  
post #32474 of 32477 Unread Today, 01:18 PM
Member
 
keepinitsimple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pftechnician View Post
Well I finally bought a pair of Studio Monitor 55's to replace my Mythos ones in the surround position. I kinda had to because my 2 year old son was pulling on the Mythos ones wires and almost killing himself. Now I will hang the SM55's on the back wall and have piece of mind. I have them on makeshift stands right now till I install them on the wall, and even though they are not in a perfect position at the right height above the ear, these things sound insane. They are incredibly accurate and insanely detailed. I mean they really did a great job designing these speakers, now I wonder how the 65's sound?
Anyway I have 7002's for main speakers, but do you think the Mythos ones would work better with the SM55's in the surround position? The 7002's are fabulous speakers though, but I though maybe size to size the Mythos might be better suited to work with the SM55's? Please feel free to give your opinions. Any question about the 55's I will try any answer. I've only had them 4 or 5 days but I'll try to answer any questions. Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.
What mount are you going to use to put them on the wall?
keepinitsimple is online now  
post #32475 of 32477 Unread Today, 02:27 PM
Senior Member
 
HotAhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmongerX View Post

I'm also looking at stands as I don't want them sitting on the floor. I was considering the Def Tech Studio Monitor stands since they have about the biggest top plate I can find (8 1/8 x 9 x1/8) at the right height (28"). I'd like to hear what others are using though.

I think that is very wise to get speaker stands with large plates. You may want to phone Definitive Tech. and talk to them about those stands in relation to the 65's. The 65's are like 22" deep, so the amount of surface area of the stands' top plate might be important. I think you are really going to enjoy your set up!


Marantz SR5004
An HSU VTF Subwoofer & Definitive Technology Speakers
StudioMonitor 65
ProCenter 2000
ProMonitor 800
TiVo Roamio, Roamio Plus, & TiVo Mini
HotAhr is online now  
post #32476 of 32477 Unread Today, 02:34 PM
Senior Member
 
HotAhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmongerX View Post
Funny the timing of your posts recently. This is almost identical to the setup I'll be going to in a week and a half, barring the sub and receiver (Ordering the SVS PB2000 sub this week). I've already ordered the 65's (Had my eye on them for months based on listening to the 55's and posts from here). The PC2000 is also ready to be picked up the same time the 65's come in. I also have PM800's across the rear and I to was worried about the 65's being too much in my room. In fact just before I went ahead and had the local place order them, I was wondering if I should just stick with what I have. So I'm glad to see your post and review of them. Makes me feel I made the right choice.

I'm considering moving the PM1000's to rear duty and picking up another pair of them for Surround Back to change out the all the 800's, having 5.25 drivers all the way around.

I'm also looking at stands as I don't want them sitting on the floor. I was considering the Def Tech Studio Monitor stands since they have about the biggest top plate I can find (8 1/8 x 9 x1/8) at the right height (28"). I'd like to hear what others are using though.
Up until the 65's came I was using the 800's for the front L/R in a stereo setup. LOL I think they make great rear speakers. IMO every speaker company's products have a unique sound of their own. And the 800's have that Definitive Tech sound to them, which I like a lot better in the back than in the front.... *GRIN* ROFLOLOLOLOL the 65's carry a lot more wallop!




Marantz SR5004
An HSU VTF Subwoofer & Definitive Technology Speakers
StudioMonitor 65
ProCenter 2000
ProMonitor 800
TiVo Roamio, Roamio Plus, & TiVo Mini
HotAhr is online now  
post #32477 of 32477 Unread Today, 02:57 PM
Senior Member
 
HotAhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius View Post
There is always Blu Tack, but it will discolor wood. Also, one could use Sorbothane discs. They have a nice tacky feel and have also been proven to reduce vibrations. They will discolor wood also.

I use Sorbothane discs under the feet of my CD transport. They make no audible difference, but they can help keep a CD from skipping during those 105+ dB listening sessions.

I saw this on product. I don't know what to think of them for keeping speakers on their stands, but.. well.. here is what they are called, Ready America 33111 Museum Gel, Clear Model: 33111 Tools & Home Improvement.

This is what it said about the product:

Clear adhesive gel
Ensures collectibles won't fall from shelves during an earthquake
Removable, reusable, and non-toxic
Won't stain or otherwise mark furniture
Four-ounce container

Looked like an interesting prospect.

Marantz SR5004
An HSU VTF Subwoofer & Definitive Technology Speakers
StudioMonitor 65
ProCenter 2000
ProMonitor 800
TiVo Roamio, Roamio Plus, & TiVo Mini
HotAhr is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off