Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1083 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #32461 of 32465 Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I finally bought a pair of Studio Monitor 55's to replace my Mythos ones in the surround position. I kinda had to because my 2 year old son was pulling on the Mythos ones wires and almost killing himself. Now I will hang the SM55's on the back wall and have piece of mind. I have them on makeshift stands right now till I install them on the wall, and even though they are not in a perfect position at the right height above the ear, these things sound insane. They are incredibly accurate and insanely detailed. I mean they really did a great job designing these speakers, now I wonder how the 65's sound?
Anyway I have 7002's for main speakers, but do you think the Mythos ones would work better with the SM55's in the surround position? The 7002's are fabulous speakers though, but I though maybe size to size the Mythos might be better suited to work with the SM55's? Please feel free to give your opinions. Any question about the 55's I will try any answer. I've only had them 4 or 5 days but I'll try to answer any questions. Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32462 of 32465 Old Today, 07:15 AM

What stands do you recommend for the SM 55s and adhesive or whatnot to make sure it does not fall off the stand.
post #32463 of 32465 Unread Today, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I recently purchased a pair of StudioMonitor 65 speakers and a ProCenter 2000 Center Speaker to go with my already owned ProMonitor 800 rear speakers and an HSU Subwoofer. I had considered going with the ProCenter 1000, but J.D. from AV Science rightly convinced me to go with the 2000. I'm now Definitive Tech. Speakers from front to back (excluding Sub) on a 5.1 System. My last Speaker purchase up front was back in the 1990's. I don't change out quickly or randomly. All I can say is, I'm really enjoying this new set up. If I were to use one word to describe the overall presentation, it would be Accurate. I'm in a small 10x13' room and was really struggling whether to go with the 55's or the 65's. I was really wondering if the 65's would be too much sound for the size of room that I am in. I didn't want instruments to get lost in the confusion of trying to be present among other louder instruments in each track in such a small space. That certainly is not the case with this setup. I listen to a lot of music and each instrument is well represented. The horn solo for example in Lady Gaga's song "Bang Bang" was dynamic and crisp. If you've heard the performance of this song before, you know that the horn solo is meant to sound bold and gripping. And it did! I don't know if Definitive Technology is known as being great at laying out a precise sound stage or not, but, I can tell you this. I am really enjoying listening to my audio collection with my Definitive Technology speakers. Instruments sound like they should and sound as if on stage where they need to be, each in their own place. I've listened to Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga's on stage performance of Cheek to Cheek. I got lost in the performance. I wasn't even thinking about which speaker was kicking out what sound. In my mind the speakers were gone. I was there! I also listened to some ZZ Top, Johnny Cash, Diana Krall, Sophie Milma, Bob Dilan, & Lady Antebellum among others. And I really enjoyed it all, especially the Jazz. It was very nice. I'd like to say one last thing. I also don't know if this is the way it generally works or not, but.... the more I listen to this new setup, the better it sounds. Tight, accurate, and well represented musically is the way I would describe these speakers. They really represent themselves well by stepping out of the way and producing musical renditions in a way that I love to hear them. Well, it's time to go listen to some more music. And tonight, it's movie time. Enjoy!

Marantz SR5004
Definitive Technology
StudioMonitor 65
ProCenter 2000
ProMonitor 800
TiVo Roamio, Roamio Plus, & TiVo Mini

Last edited by HotAhr; Today at 02:00 PM.
post #32464 of 32465 Unread Today, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepinitsimple View Post
What stands do you recommend for the SM 55s and adhesive or whatnot to make sure it does not fall off the stand.
Well I am mounting them on the wall so I haven't really looked into that much, but Definitive makes a stand specifically for these speakers. Studio Monitor stands they are called. If you go on their website and go to the SM55 section, then click on accessories it will bring up these stands. They are 28 1/5 inches tall. They look really nice, and its definitely the way I'd go, but I'm mounting mine on the wall because of my son.
post #32465 of 32465 Unread Today, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just picked up a set of bp2000 towers non TL. Wow these speakers are great sounding I would even say sounded better than my 7001's I had.
I currently have bp7000 in my setup
Thinking maybe use these as surrounds. Anyone ever compare the bp2000 to 7001 and find bp2000 sounding better. I do know the changed mids and tweets after the bp2000 but I think they sound crisper and cleaner than 7001.
Anyone have any input
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page