Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1084 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #32491 of 32506 Old 03-03-2015, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Anyone in here run towers as wides. Trying to get an idea what's a good starting point. What's the less they should be away from mains.
Anyone chime in like to hear some input :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32492 of 32506 Old 03-03-2015, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Galvatron Type R- i've also got the ST8060 towers & CS8060 center- i asked DT folks when i 1st got mine the same question about red turning to green light on the 8060 towers but only red on the center 8060- DT said that's normal & way they're designed- the CS8060 doesn't turn green- the red stays on to indicate power- while the towers turn green when sub amp turns on.

Sometimes it took some loud music for light on 8060 towers to turn green- wasn't right away- they said turn the sub level on receiver up to 3db or so- to make them turn on quickly when playing. hope this helps
post #32493 of 32506 Old 03-03-2015, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam320 View Post
When you say distances is that the cross-over frequencies, and does speaker levels refer to large and small?
No, Distance and Levels are settings in most receivers when doing a manual speaker setup.
Distance:
In you manual speaker setup, they should be a section for setting the distance that each individual speaker is from the main listening position.
Level:
Either by just listening or preferably using an SPL meter, again in the manual speaker setup, there will be a section that plays test tones to each individual channel and a way to adjust that channels volume level, you want to sit in the main listening position and adjust each level so that all the channels are as close to the same volume in that seat as possible.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #32494 of 32506 Old 03-03-2015, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a pair of 2002 TL's with cherry caps and a CS 8080 HD center all in as new condition for sale, if interested pm me, thanks 21220, cell 410 698 2154, Rick
post #32495 of 32506 Old 03-03-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES MCHUGHES View Post
Anyone in here run towers as wides. Trying to get an idea what's a good starting point. What's the less they should be away from mains.
Prior to changing over to multiple surrounds I ran one of my pairs of BP-10's as Wides, set them up at about 45°-50° from center. They worked very well, tried them both forward and side firing, forward firing would work well if that channel was discrete, but since it's matrixed, the wider dispersion of side firing seemed to give a better sense of "fill".

Since my current receiver only supports 9.2 channels, I was left with manually switching back and forth between highs or wides depending on what I was watching, because of the size of my room I found myself really wanting both, but even with external amplification my receiver just won't run both at the same time, but it does have a setting for virtual Wides, this is what gave me the idea for multiple surrounds, basically I wired my BP-10's in with my BP-20's to my surround channels, moved the 10's to about 65°-70° from center and the 20's to about 100°, and ran the receiver with Heights and Virtual Wides, sounds almost exactly like wides themselves but now I get them and heights at the same time.

Oh, I'm still looking for a single SM-450 if anybody has one, or if anyone wants to buy a single for a center, I'll part with mine and just buy a pair.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 03-03-2015 at 11:25 PM.
post #32496 of 32506 Old 03-03-2015, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
No, Distance and Levels are settings in most receivers when doing a manual speaker setup.
Distance:
In you manual speaker setup, they should be a section for setting the distance that each individual speaker is from the main listening position.
Level:
Either by just listening or preferably using an SPL meter, again in the manual speaker setup, there will be a section that plays test tones to each individual channel and a way to adjust that channels volume level, you want to sit in the main listening position and adjust each level so that all the channels are as close to the same volume in that seat as possible.
Thank for your patience, I assume from my question you know I dont know what I'm doing.. I am setting everything up from scratch.. I have Jeff Meir coming in April to calibrate everything so i just need some basic settings to get me started.
post #32497 of 32506 Old 03-03-2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam320 View Post
Thank for your patience, I assume from my question you know I dont know what I'm doing.. I am setting everything up from scratch.. I have Jeff Meir coming in April to calibrate everything so i just need some basic settings to get me started.
No problem, we all started somewhere, the manual setup I described will at least give you a decent experience until you get your calibration done, plus help you familiarize yourself a little bit with your receiver.
What sometimes happens with auto setups and bi-polar speakers is that the reflection from the rear firing driver confuses the program as to the exact location of the speaker, which is how it determines the distance and subsequent delays and speaker levels to balance things out.

My Build Thread:
post #32498 of 32506 Old 03-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
I may have a problem with my day old CS-8060HD center speaker. The LED on the back (which indicates power to the amp) is constantly red and does not turn green (my 8060 towers show green on their LEDs). I have it hooked up via speaker cable only and run at Full Range through my receiver.

I have no issues getting dialog audio out of the center channel. What's strange is that I plugged the LFE out from the receiver to the LFE in on the center channel and the bass is strong via the top mounted powered sub but the LED on the back is still showing red. I even plugged the power cable into another outlet and still nothing.

Do I need to make an exchange or is this a simple fix?
So does anyone have an answer to my center channel issue? Put simply, does your CS8060's rear LED light up green when in use or does it show as red even with audio played through it?

Onkyo TX-NR3008; Samsung UN55D7000; Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Panoview 92" matte white 1.0 gain screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology CS-8060HD; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Buttkicker Wireless; Belkin PF60; Pioneer Elite BDP62FD; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 120 GB slim; Xbox 360 S with HD DVD drive; Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Xbox One; PS4; Logitech Harmony One
post #32499 of 32506 Old 03-04-2015, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
So does anyone have an answer to my center channel issue? Put simply, does your CS8060's rear LED light up green when in use or does it show as red even with audio played through it?
Mine never turns green. When it gets a signal the led comes on and glows red. When it goes to sleep the led turns off. Same as my Mythos STS' leds.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

"If it works the first time, it's not high end." ~ Harry Pierson
post #32500 of 32506 Old 03-04-2015, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Prior to changing over to multiple surrounds I ran one of my pairs of BP-10's as Wides, set them up at about 45?-50? from center. They worked very well, tried them both forward and side firing, forward firing would work well if that channel was discrete, but since it's matrixed, the wider dispersion of side firing seemed to give a better sense of "fill".

Since my current receiver only supports 9.2 channels, I was left with manually switching back and forth between highs or wides depending on what I was watching, because of the size of my room I found myself really wanting both, but even with external amplification my receiver just won't run both at the same time, but it does have a setting for virtual Wides, this is what gave me the idea for multiple surrounds, basically I wired my BP-10's in with my BP-20's to my surround channels, moved the 10's to about 65?-70? from center and the 20's to about 100?, and ran the receiver with Heights and Virtual Wides, sounds almost exactly like wides themselves but now I get them and heights at the same time.

Oh, I'm still looking for a single SM-450 if anybody has one, or if anyone wants to buy a single for a center, I'll part with mine and just buy a pair.
Still have some adjusting a bit but here's what it will look like. Thx for your help
Altloff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1425528961942.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	584529   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1425528990135.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	584537   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1425529019624.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	584545   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1425529042833.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	584553  
post #32501 of 32506 Old Yesterday, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrpph View Post
Galvatron Type R- i've also got the ST8060 towers & CS8060 center- i asked DT folks when i 1st got mine the same question about red turning to green light on the 8060 towers but only red on the center 8060- DT said that's normal & way they're designed- the CS8060 doesn't turn green- the red stays on to indicate power- while the towers turn green when sub amp turns on.

Sometimes it took some loud music for light on 8060 towers to turn green- wasn't right away- they said turn the sub level on receiver up to 3db or so- to make them turn on quickly when playing. hope this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post
Mine never turns green. When it gets a signal the led comes on and glows red. When it goes to sleep the led turns off. Same as my Mythos STS' leds.
Thanks for the replies. It looks like you guys saved me a call to Definitive.

On a side note, I upgraded from B&Ws to Definitive Tech and while the sound quality is better (especially with greater bass response from the 8060 towers), the overall improvement is only marginal and not phenomenal.

I guess the B&Ws are already great speakers to begin with so I shouldn't have expected an earth shattering difference but I was expecting a more noticeable improvement.

Oh well, they're still excellent speakers that I will keep for years.

Onkyo TX-NR3008; Samsung UN55D7000; Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Panoview 92" matte white 1.0 gain screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology CS-8060HD; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Buttkicker Wireless; Belkin PF60; Pioneer Elite BDP62FD; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 120 GB slim; Xbox 360 S with HD DVD drive; Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Xbox One; PS4; Logitech Harmony One
post #32502 of 32506 Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm currently running with a Marantz 5009 receiver and a 5.1 deftech package including a pair of 8060ST's. However there seems to be a problem with the towers. The speakers worked fine for around a month until I started noticing problems. The speakers are connected to the receiver with audio quest X2 wire. A few weeks ago i noticed that the lights on the back of the towers were solid red and no sound was coming out of the subs. It seems if i unplug the speakers for 5 minutes (speaker wire and power), that the green light comes on and boom subs are working. This doesn't seem right to me. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate some help!
post #32503 of 32506 Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Prior to changing over to multiple surrounds I ran one of my pairs of BP-10's as Wides, set them up at about 45?-50? from center. They worked very well, tried them both forward and side firing, forward firing would work well if that channel was discrete, but since it's matrixed, the wider dispersion of side firing seemed to give a better sense of "fill".

Since my current receiver only supports 9.2 channels, I was left with manually switching back and forth between highs or wides depending on what I was watching, because of the size of my room I found myself really wanting both, but even with external amplification my receiver just won't run both at the same time, but it does have a setting for virtual Wides, this is what gave me the idea for multiple surrounds, basically I wired my BP-10's in with my BP-20's to my surround channels, moved the 10's to about 65?-70? from center and the 20's to about 100?, and ran the receiver with Heights and Virtual Wides, sounds almost exactly like wides themselves but now I get them and heights at the same time.

Altl off why don't u use the preouts on receiver to go 11 channel that's what I'm going to this weekend and yes my receiver is only 9.2 also
Pioneer sc79
Bp7000
Bp2000
Clr3000 all preouts in my Rotel 1095

Bpvx surrounds
Sm450 rear surrounds
Sm450 heights all In pioneer
post #32504 of 32506 Unread Yesterday, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,
I own a pair of BP7000SC and keep getting an out of phase error when setting up my Denon receiver. Does anyone know the polarity of the orange,white, gray, brown wires that connect on the inside of the amp plate?

Thanks
post #32505 of 32506 Unread Today, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Altl off why don't u use the preouts on receiver to go 11 channel that's what I'm going to this weekend and yes my receiver is only 9.2 also
Pioneer sc79
Bp7000
Bp2000
Clr3000 all preouts in my Rotel 1095

Bpvx surrounds
Sm450 rear surrounds
Sm450 heights all In pioneer
It wouldn't matter, my receiver (Pioneer sc1522k) still won't play both channels at the same time, without doing it the way I am I'd still have to decide between the two.

As a side note, I finally got all of my height layer wired in, even though is still only 9.2, having both upper and lower surround sounds great, can't wait to get the next receiver and go to true immersive audio.

My Build Thread:
post #32506 of 32506 Unread Today, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GK2K5 View Post
Hello,
I own a pair of BP7000SC and keep getting an out of phase error when setting up my Denon receiver. Does anyone know the polarity of the orange,white, gray, brown wires that connect on the inside of the amp plate?

Thanks
My old pioneer also gave me this error with my 7001's. It is because of the bi polar speakers. Just ignore it and keep going.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page