Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1094 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #32791 of 32801 Old 05-26-2015, 10:41 AM
Senior Member
 
weekendtoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern MN
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Nice clean system with great cable management, I like it. I would prefer to have the subs less visible but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

weekendtoy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32792 of 32801 Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM
Member
 
pftechnician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok I get the urge to upgrade every now and then so I will ask this question. I have Mythos ones mains, CLR2000 center, SM55's surrounds and a SCII sub. What would you say would be the benefit of upgrading to Mythos STS for mains? Its not just I would add some bass with the added sub I hope? Is there a major advantage in overall speaker performance from the Mythos Ones to STS? The Mythos Ones are dam good speakers though so I guess it would have to be a pretty big difference. Thanks for any advice or help.
pftechnician is offline  
post #32793 of 32801 Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LowellG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Helotes, TX
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by pftechnician View Post
Ok I get the urge to upgrade every now and then so I will ask this question. I have Mythos ones mains, CLR2000 center, SM55's surrounds and a SCII sub. What would you say would be the benefit of upgrading to Mythos STS for mains? Its not just I would add some bass with the added sub I hope? Is there a major advantage in overall speaker performance from the Mythos Ones to STS? The Mythos Ones are dam good speakers though so I guess it would have to be a pretty big difference. Thanks for any advice or help.
I am now up to 4 subs and my number one lesson learned has been better bass is always better. Get a couple 15" subs and forget the STSs, the Mythos Ones are great mains.

Lowell


The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
LowellG is offline  
post #32794 of 32801 Old Yesterday, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by pftechnician View Post
Ok I get the urge to upgrade every now and then so I will ask this question. I have Mythos ones mains, CLR2000 center, SM55's surrounds and a SCII sub. What would you say would be the benefit of upgrading to Mythos STS for mains? Its not just I would add some bass with the added sub I hope? Is there a major advantage in overall speaker performance from the Mythos Ones to STS? The Mythos Ones are dam good speakers though so I guess it would have to be a pretty big difference. Thanks for any advice or help.
Yup, ditto what Lowell said, even with my borderline obsession (lol I couldn't even think borderline with a straight face.....) with matching aesthetics, and more to the point, as Full Range as possible on "every" channel, I'll also tell you to add another Sub, it will absolutely be the best bang-4-buck item for your system, a second and then third Sub was a great improvement, even with my BP-2000's.
Your Supercube II is actually a decent sub, esp. for its size, but you really do need more, depending on your room size I'd say either a 2000 series SVS or a 12 or 15 inch HSU. (piano black to match of course....)

This might sound a little insane (go figure) but if it were me I'd add the second Sub, then the next time the bug gets you, add a matching third....then, if you still want to experiment with Full Range up front, find another SC II, (there going for between $250 & $300 right now) take it, and the one that you have and put them both, up front with your One's, hook them up Full Range and blend them with the One's. If you then decide that you really like having Full Range up front and absolutely "have" to upgrade, do so then, you can pull the SC II's and return them to Sub/LFE duty or even experiment with them as Powered Woofers for your surrounds, like you did with your Fronts, wouldn't cost you anything more at that point to play around with them. Told you it may sound a little insane.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is online now  
post #32795 of 32801 Old Today, 01:04 AM
Member
 
pftechnician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Yup, ditto what Lowell said, even with my borderline obsession (lol I couldn't even think borderline with a straight face.....) with matching aesthetics, and more to the point, as Full Range as possible on "every" channel, I'll also tell you to add another Sub, it will absolutely be the best bang-4-buck item for your system, a second and then third Sub was a great improvement, even with my BP-2000's.
Your Supercube II is actually a decent sub, esp. for its size, but you really do need more, depending on your room size I'd say either a 2000 series SVS or a 12 or 15 inch HSU. (piano black to match of course....)

This might sound a little insane (go figure) but if it were me I'd add the second Sub, then the next time the bug gets you, add a matching third....then, if you still want to experiment with Full Range up front, find another SC II, (there going for between $250 & $300 right now) take it, and the one that you have and put them both, up front with your One's, hook them up Full Range and blend them with the One's. If you then decide that you really like having Full Range up front and absolutely "have" to upgrade, do so then, you can pull the SC II's and return them to Sub/LFE duty or even experiment with them as Powered Woofers for your surrounds, like you did with your Fronts, wouldn't cost you anything more at that point to play around with them. Told you it may sound a little insane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
I am now up to 4 subs and my number one lesson learned has been better bass is always better. Get a couple 15" subs and forget the STSs, the Mythos Ones are great mains.
Thanks a lot guys, that is why I come here. There are refurbished from a very reputable dealer on Ebay STS for 900 each. I almost pulled the trigger that's such a crazy deal. Anyway I am pretty obsessed with checking out SVS subs. When I do the little match thing based on my current speakers it says I should get the pb12. I think that's the model number. Thanks again.
I asked this one before but no answer so I'll try again. Does anyone know who supplied Definitive its tweeters and woofers? Is it like scanspeak? I'm just curious that's all.
pftechnician is offline  
post #32796 of 32801 Old Today, 02:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by pftechnician View Post
Thanks a lot guys, that is why I come here. There are refurbished from a very reputable dealer on Ebay STS for 900 each. I almost pulled the trigger that's such a crazy deal. Anyway I am pretty obsessed with checking out SVS subs. When I do the little match thing based on my current speakers it says I should get the pb12. I think that's the model number. Thanks again.
I asked this one before but no answer so I'll try again. Does anyone know who supplied Definitive its tweeters and woofers? Is it like scanspeak? I'm just curious that's all.
I don't know who supplies Definitive with their drivers, as far as the Sub in question goes the PB12 is an older model, it's equivalent to the current 2000 series, SB (Sealed Box), PB (Ported Box) or PC (Ported Cylinder).

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; Today at 07:02 AM.
ALtlOff is online now  
post #32797 of 32801 Old Today, 05:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I had a quick question has anyone tried using the a60 module on the bp8040sts. I just picked up a pioneer vsx90 and was debating about getting the a60 module or getting the pioneer elite atmos bookshelves. My system consists of 2 bp8040sts, CS8060HD and soon 2 SR 8080.

thanks

mike
bigmix007 is online now  
post #32798 of 32801 Old Today, 05:57 AM
Member
 
sinisanav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pftechnician View Post
Anyway I am pretty obsessed with checking out SVS subs. When I do the little match thing based on my current speakers it says I should get the pb12. I think that's the model number. Thanks again.
I asked this one before but no answer so I'll try again. Does anyone know who supplied Definitive its tweeters and woofers? Is it like scanspeak? I'm just curious that's all.
Well, that is what SVS people told me when I was researching for my setup(includes BP 7001's as mains) that PB-2000 would match in my small size room of 1500 cu ft, but reading more around forum and further discussion it turns out that, especially if you listen a bit music as well that sealed SB-2000 would do great. I pulled the trigger over their Memorial day sale and got dual SB 2000 for 1200$ total ( although before that I was entertaining PSA XS15se or S1500). Just got them installed yesterday late night, not yet run them, but will do tonight

So depends on what your room size and preference for movies.

Change is the only constant.

My HT: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post32691273
sinisanav is online now  
post #32799 of 32801 Old Today, 06:14 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 10,139
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1643 Post(s)
Liked: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by pftechnician View Post
Ok I get the urge to upgrade every now and then so I will ask this question. I have Mythos ones mains, CLR2000 center, SM55's surrounds and a SCII sub. What would you say would be the benefit of upgrading to Mythos STS for mains? Its not just I would add some bass with the added sub I hope? Is there a major advantage in overall speaker performance from the Mythos Ones to STS? The Mythos Ones are dam good speakers though so I guess it would have to be a pretty big difference. Thanks for any advice or help.
As others have said, add a second or third sub. We carry SVS subs, lot of bang for the buck.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #32800 of 32801 Old Today, 07:16 AM
Member
 
WarmongerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oregon City, Oregon
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
I don't know who supplies Definitive with their drivers, as far as the Sub in question goes the PB12 is an older model, it's equivalent to the current 2000 series, SB (Sealed Box), PB (Ported Box) or PC (Ported Cylinder).
He meant PB12 plus. I just ran through the tool with his speakers. That's the sub that I have (love it) and you just need to make sure that your aware of the size of that beast. You can see pics of mine on the page before this one.

Samsung 65" UN65ES8000FXZA
Pioneer Elite VSX23-TXH
Def Tech StudioMonitor 65 L/R - Def Tech ProCenter 2000 - Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 x 4 Surround
SVS PB12+ Subwoofer

18TB Plex Media Server
WarmongerX is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off