Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1095 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #32821 of 32836 Old 06-16-2015, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurolicious View Post
I recently had an amp go bad in my right front speaker and got a free replacement amp from Def Tech. I installed the amp and it sounds great. However, I noticed something odd. If I put the volume knob at the 12 o'clock position on both the left speaker (the original I bought 5 years ago) and the right speaker with the new amp, the woofer in the right speaker is playing much louder than the left speakers woofer. Could the replacement amp be calibrated by Def Tech to be louder?
Possibly, but there are a lot of other variables involved so who knows, it could simply be different tolerances in some of the other electrical components involved, newer specs on parts or even different manufacturers of the parts that go into the amps, it has been 5 years.
I wouldn't worry about it unless you get to a point you can't match then properly. Then if that's the case e-mail Chet back and see what he says.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32822 of 32836 Old 06-16-2015, 04:38 PM
Senior Member
 
orcrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
I know they're a little more expensive but I think I would go with the RCS-III & II over the RSS, just to give yourself some slightly larger drivers to better match with those 7" in your Fronts.
But pairing either together is not a problem.
My mistake. I didn't realize that there are RSS speakers so I just used RSS to indicate either RSS ii or RSS iii. As it is I purchased the iii version. I spoke with Def Tech yesterday. They said with my sofa so close to the back wall they wouldn't get RSS ii or iii for the rear surrounds. They'd use UIW - 63 speakers.
orcrone is offline  
post #32823 of 32836 Old 06-19-2015, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 79
So, since I pulled one of my pairs of BP-10's from the theatre, I decided to sell them (no need having 1 extra pair of them around, let alone now 2 pairs) in order to play them for a perspective buyer I hooked them up downstairs in the exercise room, big mistake, now I want music down there...., since it looks like both pairs of my 10's are sold I ended up getting a killer e-bay deal on a pair of BP6's, barely over $100 Shipped, now to keep an eye out for a good deal on another couple of Supercube III's for them.

One day I WILL stop this insanity, but hopefully not too soon....

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; 06-19-2015 at 06:12 AM.
ALtlOff is offline  
post #32824 of 32836 Old 06-19-2015, 05:46 AM
Senior Member
 
witchdoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 28
WarmongerX, FWIW I'll bet those speakers would really outperform if you tried the Bedrock stands from Mapleshade:
http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Mapl...epartments/63/

Last edited by witchdoctor; 06-19-2015 at 05:53 AM.
witchdoctor is offline  
post #32825 of 32836 Old 06-19-2015, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
simp1yamazn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Just in case anyone is looking, my ST-L's are still for sale, just dropped the price to $3,000 for the pair including replacement parts!
FS: Def Tech Mythos ST-L Pair in black
simp1yamazn is online now  
post #32826 of 32836 Old 06-20-2015, 09:56 AM
Senior Member
 
orcrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm trying to get some information about a pair of uiw-rss iii speakers I very recently purchased. I posted a question in the speaker forum but have not received any responses so I figured I'd ask about it here. If anyone still has the orginal packing material I'd appreciate it if you'd respond to the thread at this link.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
orcrone is offline  
post #32827 of 32836 Old 06-20-2015, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
panzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a pair of BP 2002 TL's listed for sale, they have cherry caps and are in mint condition, I live in maryland 21220, if interested pm or call my cell, 410 698 2154, thanks Rick
panzer is offline  
post #32828 of 32836 Old 06-26-2015, 04:28 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a set of the DR-7 towers from 20 years ago and I love them. I love that they produce great bass and clear highs. I'm ready to spend $1000.00 on an upgrade but I don't know if I will be able to find a similar sound. I also have no idea how to match the center channel if I stay with the DR-7's. Any DR-7 tower owners out there that can offer any advice?

Thanks,

Nathan
verynate is offline  
post #32829 of 32836 Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LowellG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Helotes, TX
Posts: 1,780
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by verynate View Post
I have a set of the DR-7 towers from 20 years ago and I love them. I love that they produce great bass and clear highs. I'm ready to spend $1000.00 on an upgrade but I don't know if I will be able to find a similar sound. I also have no idea how to match the center channel if I stay with the DR-7's. Any DR-7 tower owners out there that can offer any advice?

Thanks,

Nathan
For starters, I don't know the DR-7 line, were they bi polar? Are you wanting to stay with that,what about staying with towers. $1000 leaves limited options, but doable. I would be looking for used equipment, but we need more info.

First, what is your objective and main use of your system? Second, do you have a sub? If you don't, you may think the 7s have good bass, but there is better bass.

Lowell


The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
LowellG is online now  
post #32830 of 32836 Old Today, 11:59 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the reply LowellG. The DR-7's are not Bi-Polar - Just a two-way tower with a giant front port (One 25mm moving coil dome tweeter and one 17 cm mineral-filled homopolymer-coned, cast-magnesium basket bass/midrange) I have an old 8-inch Klipsch KSW 100 (8-inch) sub - it hits quite nicely, but as you said, I may not know good bass. I have the receiver set to cross the bass over at 80hz.

I've got a buddy that is selling his BP2002's for 250.00. Could this be a good option? I don't know much about the line other than what is posted on various forums.

Breakdown is as follows:

70% Stereo music listening streamed via Airplay/Tidal HiFi.
20% XBox One games
10% Movies

I aspire to be a big movie watcher but with young kids it's tough to carve out time right now.

AVR - Yamaha RX 675
FR/L - Definitive DR-7 Towers
Sub - Klipsch KSW 100
Center - Pioneer SP c22
Surrounds - Pioneer SP-FS52

Bought the Pioneers to try a budget upgrade and I hate them, though the center channel is better than what I had before.
verynate is offline  
post #32831 of 32836 Old Today, 12:01 PM
Newbie
 
prashantponde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Def tech ProCinema 2000 vs SVS Prime Center

Please suggest me the center speaker between Def tech ProCinema 2000 vs SVS Prime Center.
prashantponde is online now  
post #32832 of 32836 Old Today, 12:03 PM
Newbie
 
prashantponde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Def tech ProCinema 2000 vs SVS Prime Center

Expert advice please!

I am looking to upgrade my center speaker in my current 5.1 setup (with SVS SB13 ultra woofer).

Here are my two options:
- Definitive Technology ProCinema center 2000
- SVS Prime Center

The center speaker will be kept open on the entertainment center shelf (below the wall mount TV).

Please advice. I think these options are equally good, but its still a tough decision to make.
prashantponde is online now  
post #32833 of 32836 Old Today, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by verynate View Post
Thanks for the reply LowellG. The DR-7's are not Bi-Polar - Just a two-way tower with a giant front port (One 25mm moving coil dome tweeter and one 17 cm mineral-filled homopolymer-coned, cast-magnesium basket bass/midrange) I have an old 8-inch Klipsch KSW 100 (8-inch) sub - it hits quite nicely, but as you said, I may not know good bass. I have the receiver set to cross the bass over at 80hz.

I've got a buddy that is selling his BP2002's for 250.00. Could this be a good option? I don't know much about the line other than what is posted on various forums.

Breakdown is as follows:

70% Stereo music listening streamed via Airplay/Tidal HiFi.
20% XBox One games
10% Movies

I aspire to be a big movie watcher but with young kids it's tough to carve out time right now.

AVR - Yamaha RX 675
FR/L - Definitive DR-7 Towers
Sub - Klipsch KSW 100
Center - Pioneer SP c22
Surrounds - Pioneer SP-FS52

Bought the Pioneers to try a budget upgrade and I hate them, though the center channel is better than what I had before.
That is a killer deal on the 2002's, usually they're $500+ per pair. You won't know if you like the Bi-Polar towers until you try them, the right space and positioned correctly they can image incredibly, and will go much lower than the DR7's you have, if it were me I'd use the 2002's as fronts, and the DR7's as surround, and if you do make sure you try the receiver set to phantom center and disconnect your Center, you may be pleasantly surprised.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #32834 of 32836 Old Today, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashantponde View Post
Expert advice please!

I am looking to upgrade my center speaker in my current 5.1 setup (with SVS SB13 ultra woofer).

Here are my two options:
- Definitive Technology ProCinema center 2000
- SVS Prime Center

The center speaker will be kept open on the entertainment center shelf (below the wall mount TV).

Please advice. I think these options are equally good, but its still a tough decision to make.
Check your thread.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #32835 of 32836 Old Today, 02:13 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
That is a killer deal on the 2002's, usually they're $500+ per pair. You won't know if you like the Bi-Polar towers until you try them, the right space and positioned correctly they can image incredibly, and will go much lower than the DR7's you have, if it were me I'd use the 2002's as fronts, and the DR7's as surround, and if you do make sure you try the receiver set to phantom center and disconnect your Center, you may be pleasantly surprised.
Wow, great news. I'm going to pull the trigger on the 2002's and report back. Thanks for the assistance.
verynate is offline  
post #32836 of 32836 Unread Today, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LowellG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Helotes, TX
Posts: 1,780
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by verynate View Post
Wow, great news. I'm going to pull the trigger on the 2002's and report back. Thanks for the assistance.

Yes, great price.

Lowell


The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
LowellG is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off