Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1095 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #32821 of 32847 Old 06-16-2015, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurolicious View Post
I recently had an amp go bad in my right front speaker and got a free replacement amp from Def Tech. I installed the amp and it sounds great. However, I noticed something odd. If I put the volume knob at the 12 o'clock position on both the left speaker (the original I bought 5 years ago) and the right speaker with the new amp, the woofer in the right speaker is playing much louder than the left speakers woofer. Could the replacement amp be calibrated by Def Tech to be louder?
Possibly, but there are a lot of other variables involved so who knows, it could simply be different tolerances in some of the other electrical components involved, newer specs on parts or even different manufacturers of the parts that go into the amps, it has been 5 years.
I wouldn't worry about it unless you get to a point you can't match then properly. Then if that's the case e-mail Chet back and see what he says.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32822 of 32847 Old 06-16-2015, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
I know they're a little more expensive but I think I would go with the RCS-III & II over the RSS, just to give yourself some slightly larger drivers to better match with those 7" in your Fronts.
But pairing either together is not a problem.
My mistake. I didn't realize that there are RSS speakers so I just used RSS to indicate either RSS ii or RSS iii. As it is I purchased the iii version. I spoke with Def Tech yesterday. They said with my sofa so close to the back wall they wouldn't get RSS ii or iii for the rear surrounds. They'd use UIW - 63 speakers.
post #32823 of 32847 Old 06-19-2015, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

So, since I pulled one of my pairs of BP-10's from the theatre, I decided to sell them (no need having 1 extra pair of them around, let alone now 2 pairs) in order to play them for a perspective buyer I hooked them up downstairs in the exercise room, big mistake, now I want music down there...., since it looks like both pairs of my 10's are sold I ended up getting a killer e-bay deal on a pair of BP6's, barely over $100 Shipped, now to keep an eye out for a good deal on another couple of Supercube III's for them.

One day I WILL stop this insanity, but hopefully not too soon....

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 06-19-2015 at 06:12 AM.
post #32824 of 32847 Old 06-19-2015, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 31
WarmongerX, FWIW I'll bet those speakers would really outperform if you tried the Bedrock stands from Mapleshade:
http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Mapl...epartments/63/

Last edited by witchdoctor; 06-19-2015 at 05:53 AM.
post #32825 of 32847 Old 06-19-2015, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Just in case anyone is looking, my ST-L's are still for sale, just dropped the price to $3,000 for the pair including replacement parts!
FS: Def Tech Mythos ST-L Pair in black
post #32826 of 32847 Old 06-20-2015, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm trying to get some information about a pair of uiw-rss iii speakers I very recently purchased. I posted a question in the speaker forum but have not received any responses so I figured I'd ask about it here. If anyone still has the orginal packing material I'd appreciate it if you'd respond to the thread at this link.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
post #32827 of 32847 Old 06-20-2015, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a pair of BP 2002 TL's listed for sale, they have cherry caps and are in mint condition, I live in maryland 21220, if interested pm or call my cell, 410 698 2154, thanks Rick
post #32828 of 32847 Old 06-26-2015, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a set of the DR-7 towers from 20 years ago and I love them. I love that they produce great bass and clear highs. I'm ready to spend $1000.00 on an upgrade but I don't know if I will be able to find a similar sound. I also have no idea how to match the center channel if I stay with the DR-7's. Any DR-7 tower owners out there that can offer any advice?

Thanks,

Nathan
post #32829 of 32847 Old 06-27-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by verynate View Post
I have a set of the DR-7 towers from 20 years ago and I love them. I love that they produce great bass and clear highs. I'm ready to spend $1000.00 on an upgrade but I don't know if I will be able to find a similar sound. I also have no idea how to match the center channel if I stay with the DR-7's. Any DR-7 tower owners out there that can offer any advice?

Thanks,

Nathan
For starters, I don't know the DR-7 line, were they bi polar? Are you wanting to stay with that,what about staying with towers. $1000 leaves limited options, but doable. I would be looking for used equipment, but we need more info.

First, what is your objective and main use of your system? Second, do you have a sub? If you don't, you may think the 7s have good bass, but there is better bass.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #32830 of 32847 Old 06-28-2015, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the reply LowellG. The DR-7's are not Bi-Polar - Just a two-way tower with a giant front port (One 25mm moving coil dome tweeter and one 17 cm mineral-filled homopolymer-coned, cast-magnesium basket bass/midrange) I have an old 8-inch Klipsch KSW 100 (8-inch) sub - it hits quite nicely, but as you said, I may not know good bass. I have the receiver set to cross the bass over at 80hz.

I've got a buddy that is selling his BP2002's for 250.00. Could this be a good option? I don't know much about the line other than what is posted on various forums.

Breakdown is as follows:

70% Stereo music listening streamed via Airplay/Tidal HiFi.
20% XBox One games
10% Movies

I aspire to be a big movie watcher but with young kids it's tough to carve out time right now.

AVR - Yamaha RX 675
FR/L - Definitive DR-7 Towers
Sub - Klipsch KSW 100
Center - Pioneer SP c22
Surrounds - Pioneer SP-FS52

Bought the Pioneers to try a budget upgrade and I hate them, though the center channel is better than what I had before.
post #32831 of 32847 Old 06-28-2015, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Def tech ProCinema 2000 vs SVS Prime Center

Please suggest me the center speaker between Def tech ProCinema 2000 vs SVS Prime Center.
post #32832 of 32847 Old 06-28-2015, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Def tech ProCinema 2000 vs SVS Prime Center

Expert advice please!

I am looking to upgrade my center speaker in my current 5.1 setup (with SVS SB13 ultra woofer).

Here are my two options:
- Definitive Technology ProCinema center 2000
- SVS Prime Center

The center speaker will be kept open on the entertainment center shelf (below the wall mount TV).

Please advice. I think these options are equally good, but its still a tough decision to make.
post #32833 of 32847 Old 06-28-2015, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply LowellG. The DR-7's are not Bi-Polar - Just a two-way tower with a giant front port (One 25mm moving coil dome tweeter and one 17 cm mineral-filled homopolymer-coned, cast-magnesium basket bass/midrange) I have an old 8-inch Klipsch KSW 100 (8-inch) sub - it hits quite nicely, but as you said, I may not know good bass. I have the receiver set to cross the bass over at 80hz.

I've got a buddy that is selling his BP2002's for 250.00. Could this be a good option? I don't know much about the line other than what is posted on various forums.

Breakdown is as follows:

70% Stereo music listening streamed via Airplay/Tidal HiFi.
20% XBox One games
10% Movies

I aspire to be a big movie watcher but with young kids it's tough to carve out time right now.

AVR - Yamaha RX 675
FR/L - Definitive DR-7 Towers
Sub - Klipsch KSW 100
Center - Pioneer SP c22
Surrounds - Pioneer SP-FS52

Bought the Pioneers to try a budget upgrade and I hate them, though the center channel is better than what I had before.
That is a killer deal on the 2002's, usually they're $500+ per pair. You won't know if you like the Bi-Polar towers until you try them, the right space and positioned correctly they can image incredibly, and will go much lower than the DR7's you have, if it were me I'd use the 2002's as fronts, and the DR7's as surround, and if you do make sure you try the receiver set to phantom center and disconnect your Center, you may be pleasantly surprised.

My Build Thread:
post #32834 of 32847 Old 06-28-2015, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashantponde View Post
Expert advice please!

I am looking to upgrade my center speaker in my current 5.1 setup (with SVS SB13 ultra woofer).

Here are my two options:
- Definitive Technology ProCinema center 2000
- SVS Prime Center

The center speaker will be kept open on the entertainment center shelf (below the wall mount TV).

Please advice. I think these options are equally good, but its still a tough decision to make.
Check your thread.

My Build Thread:
post #32835 of 32847 Old 06-28-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
That is a killer deal on the 2002's, usually they're $500+ per pair. You won't know if you like the Bi-Polar towers until you try them, the right space and positioned correctly they can image incredibly, and will go much lower than the DR7's you have, if it were me I'd use the 2002's as fronts, and the DR7's as surround, and if you do make sure you try the receiver set to phantom center and disconnect your Center, you may be pleasantly surprised.
Wow, great news. I'm going to pull the trigger on the 2002's and report back. Thanks for the assistance.
post #32836 of 32847 Old 06-28-2015, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wow, great news. I'm going to pull the trigger on the 2002's and report back. Thanks for the assistance.

Yes, great price.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #32837 of 32847 Old 07-01-2015, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That is one of the best aspects of this hobby, is the community. Particularly the second hand business. I have gotten so many good deals over the years and everyone (mostly) is happy to help. That being said, I also have a pair of supertowers. Seeing as I've flooded out living room with a 9.3 system, cabinet rack, and a turntable shelf, I gave in to my wife and I'm selling my BP8060ST towers to replace with monitors. I had them here in the classifieds, but moved them to eBay. They're listed at 1100 for the pair with free shipping, however for my forum guys, offer at 1000 and it will be automatically accepted. Thanks a lot, and pay it forward. EBay user jrsova06

Integra DHC 80.2, Emotiva XPA-5, XPA-3, Definitive Technology BP8060ST(x2), CS8040HD, Mythos 5 (x2), Supercube4000, Mirage Omnisat MX (x4), Oppo 103D, ATT U-Verse HD DVR, XBOX ONE, MonsterPower HTS3600 & HTS3500

Last edited by jrsova; 07-01-2015 at 01:38 PM.
post #32838 of 32847 Old 07-02-2015, 11:25 AM

As you can tell, I'm not expert at this and I don't have high end equipment like lots of you. But here are my impressions and questions regarding the Def Tech 2002's.

So I bought the Def Tech 2002's and I've been tweaking their position and settings. I really like them. I find that the ideal setting for me is to set the crossover at 80hz and tell the reciever that the front speakers are small. The built in woofers sound great, but the stand alone sub goes a little lower and adds nice feeling to the bottom end. I have the built in woofers set to about 30%. I have the speakers about 8 feet apart, toed in substantially and about 2.5 feet away from the wall. Pushing them quite well with a Yamaha RX-675. They seem efficient.

I've never owned BP speakers before and for home theater I am completely sold. I could never listen to 5.1 again without them. For stereo listening, they are smooth and do a great job with Steely Dan AJa for instance. I think that my Def Tech DR-7s are just as good if not a little brighter for stereo listening, but not as smooth. Electronic music like Hot Chip's Hurache Lights is also a great track to showcase their strengths.

Now for the problem that I've noticed. On a whim, I checked the amp temperature on both speakers when I was pushing them at about -15db. One was slightly warming the other was almost too hot to touch, but functioning normally. The amp cools right down if I run them at a moderate level, but boy it gets hot when I turn up the volume. Anyone have this problem? Any ideas about what might cause this? Bad amp? Bad woofer? I paid 250 for the pair so I wouldn't be opposed putting a little cash into them to fix them, but I'll probably take them back to the seller if this is a bad or super costly problem....

Thoughts?
post #32839 of 32847 Old 07-02-2015, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As you can tell, I'm not expert at this and I don't have high end equipment like lots of you. But here are my impressions and questions regarding the Def Tech 2002's.

So I bought the Def Tech 2002's and I've been tweaking their position and settings. I really like them. I find that the ideal setting for me is to set the crossover at 80hz and tell the reciever that the front speakers are small. The built in woofers sound great, but the stand alone sub goes a little lower and adds nice feeling to the bottom end. I have the built in woofers set to about 30%. I have the speakers about 8 feet apart, toed in substantially and about 2.5 feet away from the wall. Pushing them quite well with a Yamaha RX-675. They seem efficient.

I've never owned BP speakers before and for home theater I am completely sold. I could never listen to 5.1 again without them. For stereo listening, they are smooth and do a great job with Steely Dan AJa for instance. I think that my Def Tech DR-7s are just as good if not a little brighter for stereo listening, but not as smooth. Electronic music like Hot Chip's Hurache Lights is also a great track to showcase their strengths.

Now for the problem that I've noticed. On a whim, I checked the amp temperature on both speakers when I was pushing them at about -15db. One was slightly warming the other was almost too hot to touch, but functioning normally. The amp cools right down if I run them at a moderate level, but boy it gets hot when I turn up the volume. Anyone have this problem? Any ideas about what might cause this? Bad amp? Bad woofer? I paid 250 for the pair so I wouldn't be opposed putting a little cash into them to fix them, but I'll probably take them back to the seller if this is a bad or super costly problem....

Thoughts?

If that KSW 100 is out doing the dual 2002s, I feel like you have something connected wrong. Either that or the subs are dead. No way should you be running 2002s crossed over at 80Hz. Try removing your KSW and put a y splitter on your sub out and run separate sub cables to each 2002. Either that or set your receiver to both for sub and main LFE output. Something just doesn't seem right.

Lowell

post #32840 of 32847 Old 07-02-2015, 04:16 PM

I think I figured it out. It appears that the speaker that is running hot has been modded.

First one is the normal speaker. Second two are the modded one. Missing the factory amp and replaced with another one at the bottom of the speaker?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1435878674916.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	809106   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1435878759796.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	809114   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1435878794425.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	809122  
post #32841 of 32847 Old 07-02-2015, 04:19 PM

Also, I have two sub outs so one to each LFE in? Currently all of the speaker ins are bridged together. To I just bridge mid and high if using sub preouts? Thanks for your help.
post #32842 of 32847 Old 07-02-2015, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi new to the forum just got my first Definitive speaker. I just bought a a Mythos Seven center channel speaker. Right away I could hear the difference what a great speaker.

Jack
post #32843 of 32847 Old 07-02-2015, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Also, I have two sub outs so one to each LFE in? Currently all of the speaker ins are bridged together. To I just bridge mid and high if using sub preouts? Thanks for your help.
I would run one sub out to a y splitter and make that side go to the 2002s. Still set the mains to large and LFE to both.

Lowell

post #32844 of 32847 Old 07-02-2015, 05:36 PM

Cool. You are right. I shut the sub off in the AVR configuration and it made a huge difference. I love these speakers. I hope they don't catch on fire. Thanks for your help.
post #32845 of 32847 Old 07-02-2015, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Cool. You are right. I shut the sub off in the AVR configuration and it made a huge difference. I love these speakers. I hope they don't catch on fire. Thanks for your help.
Yup, something you will learn with the Supertowers, many of your "normal" AVR settings will work, but won't ness. be your best option, for example when you add a separate Sub into the mix, those settings will most likely change again.
As far as the speaker goes, sounds like amp the used either isn't matched properly or grounded correctly, just try and keep your levels low enough until you figure what to do about it.

My Build Thread:
post #32846 of 32847 Old 07-03-2015, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just curious on opinions of my older definitive tech speakers in comparison to what they make currently. I have BP30s, CLR 2000 and and bpx. I watch only movies in the theater very little music. Also, let my SVS handle all bass. Has speakers advanced in the last 10-15 years? Also, I'm looking for another pair of BPx or BPVX. Where is the best place to look for used speakers? Thanks in advance.
post #32847 of 32847 Unread Today, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
i love these speakers. I hope they don't catch on fire.

lol

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page