Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1097 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #32881 of 32884 Old 07-24-2015, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankDiver View Post
Looking for some help here, guys. We are moving into our new construction home in a few weeks. The great room where the HT will be is roughly 21' x 16'. That being said, I've done a lot of research as to what speaker brand I want; I've decided on DT. At first, I was going to go with some BP8060s but was reading how the built in subs aren't all that impressive and that I should get a dedicated sub. Now, I'm leaning towards some bookshelf speakers, such as the PM1000s or SM55s, or maybe even the SM45s. Which speakers would you guys recommend for mains in a room this size? For what it's worth, the sub I'm going with will be the SVS PB-1000.
Answered you in the other thread, but to add to it, in that size room the 45's and 1000's are going to be very similar sounding, only real difference would be speaker placement because of the rear port on the 45's compared to the top radiator on the 1000's.
See the above picture for what 3 65's look like, that setup would be optimal without going to towers.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32882 of 32884 Old 07-25-2015, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Answered you in the other thread, but to add to it, in that size room the 45's and 1000's are going to be very similar sounding, only real difference would be speaker placement because of the rear port on the 45's compared to the top radiator on the 1000's.
See the above picture for what 3 65's look like, that setup would be optimal without going to towers.
Thanks! Maybe I should just get a pair of BP-8040STs and call it a day.
post #32883 of 32884 Old 07-25-2015, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankDiver View Post
Thanks! Maybe I should just get a pair of BP-8040STs and call it a day.
Lol...that's a loaded comment for me.... I still believe in the old school thought of "as full channel of a speaker as you can get" esp. for the front 2, but I'll be the first to tell you, it's an out dated and not too accepted concept now.

You can do just as well with "good" bookshelves and "good" Subs (yes plural, you want at least two to truly create the even bass sound that towers will give you for the non-LFE bass, IMO) but a lot of that is personal taste and most people who have never actually used good full range towers will never know the difference, esp. with what the Supertowers can do.

More over it will depend on how much your willing to spend, if you like the look of towers or not, and if you think it's worth it to you to spend the difference.

As far as the Supertowers go the 8040's are a good choice, IMO the 8020's just aren't strong enough to warrant the extra cost over the SM65's or 55's, and the 8040's and 8060's are so close in sound that you might as well save a few bucks and get the 8040's, that is if you don't want to spend the extra for the 8080's, they are actually that much better.

But, your room size isn't too large for the SM65's, and they will really surprise you in what they can do, plus with what you can save, you can get that second PB1000.

And don't forget, placement is also a consideration, the Supertowers need more room to breathe, you want at least 8-10" between them and the front wall and at least 10-12" to the side walls for your best sound quality.
The 65's or 55's don't require near that much space around them.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #32884 of 32884 Unread Today, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I picked up a pair of 8040ST and a ProCenter 1000 this weekend as a first stage of replacing my Polk small sat setup I've had for the past 10 years or so. The ProCenter was a bit of a compromise for space, I really couldn't fit anything else where my center goes. I intend to pick up a pair of 8040BP sometime in the next few months to replace my old rear channels.

Going back to automated setups for a bit. I have a Denon AVR-X2200W with Audyssey MultEQ XT and I did some experimenting with them. This is what I found.

I started with the sub set slightly past 12 o'clock. When I ran through the setup, Denon detected the speakers as Large and Audyssey applied -12 db correction to the sub level. -12 is the limit and is usually indicative of having the sub level set too high. So, I tried again with the sub turned down a bit. That time, Denon detected the speakers as "Small" with a crossover of 40hz. Audyssey was still reporting -12 db of correction so that indicated the sub had to be brought down even more.

Finally, on the 3rd attempt, I turned down the sub to just past 1/4. Now Denon said the crossover was at 100hz. Audyssey then reported only -8.5 db of correction for the sub so that meant I finally hit reference levels.

So, it seems that turning down the sub past halfway can affect how auto-calibration hears the range of the speakers. At that point you have a decision to make. You can keep the speakers small which then shunts anything below the crossover to the subs. That means you lose L/R channel separation on those frequencies and possibly tasking the sub with producing higher than capable sound. On the flip-side though, sound that low isn't very directional and by shunting those frequencies to the sub you employ a higher resolution correction filter from Audyssey.

I can easily go back in after the correction and tell the receiver that the fronts are large to restore full range to the speakers itself, but that may not be the best way to go either. I'll probably play around with it a bit more to see how I like it.

One thing I may try is only hooking up one sub for LFE. It may allow me to run the amps on them a bit higher without having them be corrected downward so much.

Last edited by bull3964; Today at 03:44 PM.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page