Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1099 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #32941 of 32960 Old Today, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyStillPlays View Post
Appreciate the quick (and patient) responses to help me walk through it all, thanks everyone. Sorry for the confusion -- right now 7.1 configuration is: LF: 8060ST C: 8080 RF: 8060ST LS: Polk M60 RS: Polk M60 LSB: A60 RSB: A60. Painted into a corner of a living room where I can't fan surrounds out to left and right, so Polks are surrounds and repurposing A60s as the rears. Can diagram out shortly if it would help.

8060s are currently wired with speaker wire AND dedicated sub inputs, 8080 is currently speaker wire only. I'm running a Y-splitter out of one of the two sub pre-outs on the Marantz to both 8060s, then running the second pre-out to the Onkyo (an SKW-520). Trying to be respectful of being on the second floor of an apartment complex and keeping the 8060 sub levels aimed at about 12 o'clock. 8060s are 13" from the front wall, 8080 center is on the middle shelf of a TV stand with a small foot aiming it about 1" upward.

Dynamic EQ is on, MultEQ XT set to Reference.
The setup of your speakers and the configuration of the AVR seem to be what is "normally" recommended, but since you say your lacking the depth you heard in the showroom you'll want to experiment a little, one thing to remember, a major factor in setup of the Supertowers is tuning for your room, along with the sound qualities your looking for, so let's try something out of the norm, that you can only really do with powered woofer speakers.

Leave your Sub as is, it may be lacking but your trying to be respectful of your neighbors anyway.

Since your looking for an overall fuller sound and not ness. more LFE bass, try these things:
*** Do yourself a Favor, write down the different settings and adjustment positions before making a change, this way if the change is something you don't like, it's easier to go right back to where you were.***

Plus, between the steps below, play a little with the angle/toe in of your Fronts (aiming them toward and slightly away from your MLP, the angle of the rear reflection and Sub reflection will change their sound and imaging.

1. This is simple, disconnect your cables from the Y splitter and connect those individual cables to their associated R/L Front Pre-Outs. This way instead of sending the LFE signal to the Powered Woofers (Subs) you'll be sending the full Front Channel signal above 40hz to them, then adjust the level on the speaker to what sounds best to you.

2. After listening to this for a little, then go into your AVR and change your LFE/Sub setting, you want to experiment with both the LFE and LFE + settings, you may again need to adjust the speaker Sub Level. Pick what you like.

3. Again after listening and writing down your favorite settings, then try this, change your Front Speaker setting to Large, re-adjust your Sub Level accordingly. Then repeat step 2 to find your favorite sound.

4. Then repeat step 3 with your Center, don't bother with step 2 again.

Once you've tried all of these things, the only other thing would be to completely disconnect the Low Level input to the fronts and run speaker wire only to them, and repeat 1 thru 3 again, the Subs will still play and need to be adjusted but by doing this you'll be letting the speakers internal crossover handle the balance between the Mids/Highs and the Powered Woofers. Some people have noticed a difference, some haven't, but if your still not happy, it's worth a try.

Not only will all of this hopefully change things for the better, it will help to familiarize you with how the different controls and settings effect things.

Good Luck.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; Today at 01:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32942 of 32960 Old Today, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
The XPA-5 made a big difference for my surrounds (granted I'm cutting my power by .25 because of my 4 speaker series/parallel per channel wiring), but after replacing my XPA-2 for my Fronts with the XPR-2, I'm seriously considering on going to an XPR-5 for Center/Surrounds/Rears. The XPR blows me away.
This is weird, quoting myself, but oh well...
I took the plunge and am picking up an XPR-5 this weekend, the same guy I got the XPR-2 from, both used, 3 years of warranty left on both and priced so that I saved enough buying these it's equal to the price of a new XPR-2, so it was like getting the 2 for free.
I really don't "need" it, esp. now, but between the fact I was still going to add 10 channels of amplification, the savings, and a completely Over-The-Top idea I have for my Final speaker lineup (yes more over-the-top than now) I just couldn't pass it up. The XPR-2 does such an incredible job with my fronts a can't wait to see if there's as much improvement with my surrounds, and honestly if there's not, I'm actually ok with that, I already know it will have an effect on the end result because of the effect on my 2000's, and I just couldn't see letting it go at just a few hundred more than a new XPA-5.
One more XPA-5 to go and the only thing left to do is wait for the receiver I want to come out. Plus these things really are beautiful to look at.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
post #32943 of 32960 Old Today, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 682
I've got a question for you guys.

For over the last year, I've been using the Pro Monitor 1000s for my three front speakers; Pro Monitor 800s for my four surrounds speakers; Hsu 15" VTF for my sub. My room is a little bigger than 10 x 12 feet, 8 foot ceiling.

The fronts are mounted beneath my projection screen and aimed upward toward the seating position. The set-up has been pro-Audyssey (Denon X3000 receiver) and REW cal'd. I really like the sound, overall. However, there is a little of the upgrade-itis in me and wondering about the Studio Monitor 55s or 65s for my fronts - especially 65. But these are "bookshelf" speakers and not meant for wall mounting really. I cannot see any options of how to wall mount them and aim them upwards to my seating position. I've seen some wall mounts out there, but I don't see anything that would allow enough tilt upward since they would have to be mounted fairly low. Also, would they really offer much of an upgrade over the 1000s for the front stage? Part of me thinks I should just leave it as is, but wondering if it could be worth the "upgrade"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	room.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	910266  

Last edited by DavidHir; Today at 07:08 AM.
post #32944 of 32960 Old Today, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I've got a question for you guys.

For over the last year, I've been using the Pro Monitor 1000s for my three front speakers; Pro Monitor 800s for my four surrounds speakers; Hsu 15" VTF for my sub. My room is a little bigger than 10 x 12 feet, 8 foot ceiling.

The fronts are mounted beneath my projection screen and aimed upward toward the seating position. The set-up has been pro-Audyssey (Denon X3000 receiver) and REW cal'd. I really like the sound, overall. However, there is a little of the upgrade-itis in me and wondering about the Studio Monitor 55s or 65s for my fronts - especially 65. But these are "bookshelf" speakers and not meant for wall mounting really. I cannot see any options of how to wall mount them and aim them upwards to my seating position. I've seen some wall mounts out there, but I don't see anything that would allow enough tilt upward since they would have to be mounted fairly low. Also, would they really offer much of an upgrade over the 1000s for the front stage? Part of me thinks I should just leave it as is, but wondering if it could be worth the "upgrade"?
Either would be an upgrade, I'd also go with the 65's (esp. since Bajawaverunner is some more in, $260 each, shipped ) 3 of them in front is pretty amazing. But there's really no good way to wall mount them and you really shouldn't, even with the radiators on the tops you really should leave a little space around them for best sound quality. You will probably just have to figure out some ibid of stand situation (I like the Sanus wood stands since with a little carpentry skill you can shorten them for an exact height and angle) or just custom make something.

Then you can move a pair of your 1000's to do surround duty.
DavidHir likes this.

My Build Thread:
post #32945 of 32960 Old Today, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I upgraded from the 1000s as a front stage to the SM65 and it was a huge improvement. They are phenomenal speakers, but they need space around them to work at their best. So wall mounting them would be a bad idea.

Check out this audioholics review of the SM65

I also second buying them from bajawaverunner. I got both of my SM65s from them and they came in perfect condition, there was not even a single scratch on them. I have them sitting on the Def Tech studio monitor speaker stands and love the way they look. You'll notice in the review that he talks about the surprising amount of bass that they can crank out, and I can tell you that that's 100% true.
DavidHir and fredxr2d2 like this.
post #32946 of 32960 Old Today, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Either would be an upgrade, I'd also go with the 65's (esp. since Bajawaverunner is some more in, $260 each, shipped ) 3 of them in front is pretty amazing. But there's really no good way to wall mount them and you really shouldn't, even with the radiators on the tops you really should leave a little space around them for best sound quality. You will probably just have to figure out some ibid of stand situation (I like the Sanus wood stands since with a little carpentry skill you can shorten them for an exact height and angle) or just custom make something.

Then you can move a pair of your 1000's to do surround duty.
Yep, that is what I was thinking with the pair of 1000s and then sell off a pair of the 800s. $260 shipped each is a great price on the 65s.

I will look into the Sanus wood stands; although I have no carpentry skills.

I have to measure as I think the 65s are close to 19" tall? I'm not sure I have much more room than that below my screen. One option is maybe to not use any stand and just tilt them against the wall upwards towards my seating position?

post #32947 of 32960 Old Today, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #32948 of 32960 Old Today, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yep, that is what I was thinking with the pair of 1000s and then sell off a pair of the 800s. $260 shipped each is a great price on the 65s.

I will look into the Sanus wood stands; although I have no carpentry skills.

I have to measure as I think the 65s are close to 19" tall? I'm not sure I have much more room than that below my screen. One option is maybe to not use any stand and just tilt them against the wall upwards towards my seating position?
Personally, if it were me, while you are ordering the 3 SM65's, I'd also order a single PM 1000's to even out the number, replace All the 800's and sell or re-use all 4 of them. Wouldn't hurt at all to have all 5.25" drivers I'm all the surround positions.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; Today at 08:23 AM.
post #32949 of 32960 Old Today, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is anyone using the SR8080s for both their rear speakers and another pair for their surrounds?

Sony 55x850b
Pioneer VSX 90
Def Tech BP8040ST / Def Tech CS8060HD / Def Tech BP8080SR
PS4 / Harmony Ultimate One / Proscan Laser Disc Player
post #32950 of 32960 Old Today, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
At 5 x 6, the 65's or 55's would dwarf those and I'd be afraid they'd topple over.
Here's a link to the Sanus I'm referring to:

http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/...r-stands/bf16/

Do your measurements first, a correctly angled and cut 6 x 6 piece of pine ( 6 x 6 x 12) wrapped in velvet may be enough.

My Build Thread:
post #32951 of 32960 Old Today, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Personally, if it were me, while you are ordering the 3 SM65's, I'd also order a single PM 1000's to even out the number, replace All the 800's and sell or re-use all 4 of them.
Yeah, that is an option too. I was thinking for the surround backs if it really mattered though?

post #32952 of 32960 Old Today, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
At 5 x 6, the 65's or 55's would dwarf those and I'd be afraid they'd topple over.
Here's a link to the Sanus I'm referring to:

http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/...r-stands/bf16/

Do your measurements first, a correctly angled and cut 6 x 6 piece of pine
Maybe with the wall right behind them, they could tilt back just a bit - the wall offering maybe some stability if you know what I mean. Maybe the wall and this stand could keep the speaker stable enough?

post #32953 of 32960 Old Today, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I will measure tonight, but I am thinking there is only about 20-22" of room from the floor to the bottom of the screen frame.

post #32954 of 32960 Old Today, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I will measure tonight, but I am thinking there is only about 20-22" of room from the floor to the bottom of the screen frame.
There you go, a simple block of wood or two joined together and cut into a wedge, covered in velvet, probably cost you less than $20.
DavidHir likes this.

My Build Thread:
post #32955 of 32960 Old Today, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpongle DMT View Post
I upgraded from the 1000s as a front stage to the SM65 and it was a huge improvement. They are phenomenal speakers, but they need space around them to work at their best. So wall mounting them would be a bad idea.

Check out this audioholics review of the SM65 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOuirxeSRWY

I also second buying them from bajawaverunner. I got both of my SM65s from them and they came in perfect condition, there was not even a single scratch on them. I have them sitting on the Def Tech studio monitor speaker stands and love the way they look. You'll notice in the review that he talks about the surprising amount of bass that they can crank out, and I can tell you that that's 100% true.
If you take a look at my pic, you're see my left and right are going to be close to the wall although I do have an acoustic panel there.

I need to measure tonight as I am thinking I have less than 2 feet of total height from floor to bottom of the screen. This is where it gets tricky for me.

post #32956 of 32960 Old Today, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
There you go, a simple block of wood or two joined together and cut into a wedge, covered in velvet, probably cost you less than $20.
Yes. I have black out fabric and would just have to make a trip to Lowes or Home Depot.

post #32957 of 32960 Old Today, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, that is an option too. I was thinking for the surround backs if it really mattered though?
Maybe, maybe not, it depends on positioning and how hot you have the rears set volume wise, I'm just a big fan of matching, esp. if you're taking about only one extra speaker to make the pair, that single may just sit around anyway.

My Build Thread:
post #32958 of 32960 Old Today, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not, it depends on positioning and how hot you have the rears set volume wise, I'm just a big fan of matching, esp. if you're taking about only one extra speaker to make the pair, that single may just sit around anyway.
True no speakers go to waste and that way I could just sell off all four 800s which selling the extra pair should cover the cost of a new 1000 anyway.

post #32959 of 32960 Old Today, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the process of getting my HT overhauled. I have the bp8060st fronts, the 8060 center, and My wiring on the 8080 surrounds. I'm running everything off of a marantz sr6009. I'm wondering how u guys have your center set up. I had it on large, full range, but it sounded like the center was working too hard. Kinda harsh. I changed the center to small w a 40hzxo and that seemed to help but the center should be able to run full range w no problems,right? Just speaker wire connection for everything.
post #32960 of 32960 Old Today, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Looks like I only have about 16.5" beneath the screen....would have to go with the 55s if I swapped.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread