Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #32971 of 32977 Old 08-28-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32972 of 32977 Old 08-28-2015, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Yes and No, unfortunately there's no cookie cutter answer, depends on many factors, placement, your room, adjustments, and your personal tastes, even the LFE/LFE+ setting on some receivers ( the LFE+ setting on some receivers add some of the LFE to all speakers set to large). Something else to remember, the cs8060 uses 4.5" drivers, which can be a little harsher on vocals and spoken word than a 5.25" or 6.5" driver, so balance between the built in Woofer and placement (in the open, in a cabinet) will play a much larger part.

Don't worry about the "rules" as such, pick what settings you like the sound of best.

Oh... One thing besides actual placement is first reflection, depending on how high your Center is and what kind of floor you have will also make a big difference in the lower portion of the frequencies covered buy the 4.5" drivers and the tweeter, a carpeted flour our throw rug in front of the Center at the first reflection point will make a difference in the depth/tone of the sound -vs- ceramic tile or hard wood. This is one of the reasons it's suggested to have your Center out in the open or as far forward as possible if it's in a cabinet, even a couple of inches of wood around it will cause the speaker to sound more harsh and tinny.
It's on top of an entertainment center, ab 10 ft from the Vp and 5.5 ft in the air, angled down. Carpeted living room. Shouldn't the woofer pick up anything the 4.25 drivers can't handle?
post #32973 of 32977 Old 08-28-2015, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurolicious View Post
Have you calibrated your system? What position do you have the knob set on the back of the speaker?

You will almost always have better results setting your speakers to Small an crossing them at 80hz or 60hz. The woofer in the center speaker is there to enhance mid range frequencies.

I would never recommend engaging the LFE+Mains setting. This often times will cause bass cancellation issues.
I have. Ran it again this am. Left the center at 12. Audyssey calibrated to small w a 60hz xo. No sub currently so no lfe+main to speak of . haven't had a chance to play w it yet but hoping that helps.
post #32974 of 32977 Old 08-28-2015, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Well, it looks like I am probably going to go with the Studio Monitor 55s for my fronts which would replace my Pro Monitor 1000s. Anyone else using the 55s for the fronts? Impressions? I looked at them at Best Buy/Magnolia tonight and really solid and heavy....impressive looking speaker just in those terms - didn't get to listen to them.

post #32975 of 32977 Old 08-28-2015, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Well, it looks like I am probably going to go with the Studio Monitor 55s for my fronts which would replace my Pro Monitor 1000s. Anyone else using the 55s for the fronts? Impressions? I looked at them at Best Buy/Magnolia tonight and really solid and heavy....impressive looking speaker just in those terms - didn't get to listen to them.
I listened to the 55s when I bought my 65s. They are really close to each other, just slightly more mid level clarity in the 65s, but most people would never know. They will be a great upgrade for you.
DavidHir likes this.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #32976 of 32977 Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjarrettgsu View Post
It's on top of an entertainment center, ab 10 ft from the Vp and 5.5 ft in the air, angled down. Carpeted living room. Shouldn't the woofer pick up anything the 4.25 drivers can't handle?
Yes it will to a certain point, this is one of the instances that placement will come into play, but more than that, adjustments. (See Below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjarrettgsu View Post
I have. Ran it again this am. Left the center at 12. Audyssey calibrated to small w a 60hz xo. No sub currently so no lfe+main to speak of . haven't had a chance to play w it yet but hoping that helps.
Don't just trust Audyssey to do everything, it's great, but adjusting to your taste is also important.
I'm taking for granted that your Sub setting on your receiver is set to No/Off and that you haven't just left it on and not hooked one up, so from there you should try some different manual adjustments.
Try setting the Center to Large, just to see what the difference is, if this seems better then go back to Small and experiment with dropping the crossover level until you find something that helps, you never know, even Large may work for you. (The audio police won't come and get you if it does....lol) also don't be static with the level adjustment on the Center itself, play with it too
Not having a Sub will definitely take you out of the world of what is considered to be "normal" settings.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #32977 of 32977 Old Today, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Should listen to them. I came from the PM 1000's as well . Love my SM65's. They are much more full sounding (after a couple weeks break in) with more fidelity. The PM1000's are pretty good but also a pretty bright sounding speaker. I demo'd the 45's and 55's before my purchase and matched them to a ProCenter 2000 since that is the only thing that would fit in my entertainment center.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread