Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1131 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 196Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #33901 of 33921 Old 02-06-2016, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
ceh383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Acton, CA
Posts: 872
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandopr View Post
Hello all.
I own a CS8080. My question is regarding the rca plug on the back. I know the use of this cable is optional. I am just curious. Is it better if I use it along with the speaker cable? What is the purpose of this connection?

Currently I have them both connected but I noticed no change if the cable is connected or not.

Thank you in advance.
The manual on the CS8060 says not to use it, as it is not a true subwoofer. But they do show it hooked up to a speaker pre-out...I see no reason to use it, as you have found out it makes no difference.

Yamaha RX-A2020 | Outlaw M-5000 | Oppo BDP-103 | Sony CDP-CE500
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST :
CS-8040HD : SR-8040BP | SVS PC12 Plus | PSA S1500
Sharp LC-70C6400U | miniDSP 2x4 : DDRC-88A | Belkin PureAV x2

http://www.rpm-psi.com
ceh383 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #33902 of 33921 Old 02-06-2016, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 1,619
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shniks View Post
Where are you seeing these prices? I clicked on the individual links, but don't see anything like these prices? Could you please provide a link for say, the CS8080HD?


Thanks,
Sorry guys, don't know what happened, all those prices are now gone and back to the baja norm.

Don't know what happened, I'm going to edit my post.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; 02-06-2016 at 12:17 PM.
ALtlOff is offline  
post #33903 of 33921 Old 02-06-2016, 11:51 AM
Member
 
Shniks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Sorry guys, don't know what happened, ask those prices are now gone and back to the baja norm.

Don't know what happened, I'm going to edit my post.

No worries - you just got me very excited for a few seconds.


Cheers,

Nikhil
http://www.lihkin.net

Definitive Technology ST-Ls (Fronts), Definitive Technology CS8080HD (Center), Definitive Technology Gem XLs (Surrounds), Definitive Technology DI 6.5R (5.1.4 Atmos), JTR Captivator 1400, Denon X4200W, Onkyo M-5010 Amp, Onkyo C-7030
Shniks is online now  
post #33904 of 33921 Old 02-06-2016, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 1,619
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shniks View Post
No worries - you just got me very excited for a few seconds.


Cheers,
Me too, I was going to grab something once I got home today.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #33905 of 33921 Old 02-06-2016, 03:49 PM
Member
 
nandopr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
The manual on the CS8060 says not to use it, as it is not a true subwoofer. But they do show it hooked up to a speaker pre-out...I see no reason to use it, as you have found out it makes no difference.

Thank you for the information.
nandopr is offline  
post #33906 of 33921 Old 02-07-2016, 05:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Norske's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Farmington, UT
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks in advance for input/info.

So, I've done a search, but haven't quite found what I'm looking for. New house will be finished soon and I got the go-ahead to buy all new speakers to replace 15 yr old Infinity RS-5's and a PC350 center. I'm forced to go with in ceiling speakers for the sides and surrounds. I also have an SVS PC12-nsd as my sub.

Anyway, I'm looking very hard at the Def Tech 8060st towers and either a cs8060 or cs8080 for the center. I currently have a Denon AVR890 with 105wpc. Will that be ok to power those towers? I've also looked at the Focal 726/727 towers with the CC700 center.

What are your thoughts on the BP8060st towers?? Def Tech has some serious price slashing right now so I figured I should jump on it.

Thank you in advance
Norske is offline  
post #33907 of 33921 Old 02-07-2016, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
ceh383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Acton, CA
Posts: 872
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norske View Post
Thanks in advance for input/info.

So, I've done a search, but haven't quite found what I'm looking for. New house will be finished soon and I got the go-ahead to buy all new speakers to replace 15 yr old Infinity RS-5's and a PC350 center. I'm forced to go with in ceiling speakers for the sides and surrounds. I also have an SVS PC12-nsd as my sub.

Anyway, I'm looking very hard at the Def Tech 8060st towers and either a cs8060 or cs8080 for the center. I currently have a Denon AVR890 with 105wpc. Will that be ok to power those towers? I've also looked at the Focal 726/727 towers with the CC700 center.

What are your thoughts on the BP8060st towers?? Def Tech has some serious price slashing right now so I figured I should jump on it.

Thank you in advance
I have the 8060 towers and I can say they are very easy to drive, your AVR should work just fine. I ran them from a Yamaha RX-A2020 for a long time and they sounded very good. I paid full price for them and feel they were worth it, at a reduced price they will be a great value.

Yamaha RX-A2020 | Outlaw M-5000 | Oppo BDP-103 | Sony CDP-CE500
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST :
CS-8040HD : SR-8040BP | SVS PC12 Plus | PSA S1500
Sharp LC-70C6400U | miniDSP 2x4 : DDRC-88A | Belkin PureAV x2

http://www.rpm-psi.com
ceh383 is offline  
post #33908 of 33921 Old 02-07-2016, 09:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Norske's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Farmington, UT
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just what I was hoping to hear!! Thanks.
Norske is offline  
post #33909 of 33921 Old 02-08-2016, 04:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I was trying to buy a Def Tech CS8060HD center speaker at Best Buy but they are no longer orderable in their system, and they've been told that both the CS8060 and the CS8080 centers will be replaced soon this spring. I'm trying to decide whether to wait or get another.

Does anyone know what they'll be replacing those center speakers with? I have the 8060ST towers and need a center to match them with.

Thanks!
Tae408 is offline  
post #33910 of 33921 Old 02-08-2016, 04:18 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New Def Tech Centers coming this spring???

Hi,

I was trying to buy a Def Tech CS8060HD center speaker at Best Buy but they are no longer orderable in their system, and they've been told that both the CS8060 and the CS8080 centers will be replaced soon this spring. I'm trying to decide whether to wait or get another.

Does anyone know what they'll be replacing those center speakers with? I have the 8060ST towers and need a center to match them with.

Thanks!
Tae408 is offline  
post #33911 of 33921 Old 02-08-2016, 04:46 PM
Member
 
imakeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
I use two sets of BPX in my setup and really like them. Always wanted to get my hands on a pair of BPVX but haven't been successful yet. They would match up better with the bp30s and CLR2000 that I use. Though they are old I haven't felt the need to upgrade. Really like the 6.5 drivers.
Yes, the BPVX is the "high water mark" for surrounds from Def Tech. The BPX get the "silver medal" IMO. If my "BPX3" project works out the way I'm hoping, I will be selling my BPVX.
imakeller is offline  
post #33912 of 33921 Old 02-08-2016, 05:01 PM
Member
 
imakeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandopr View Post
Hello all.
I own a CS8080. My question is regarding the rca plug on the back. I know the use of this cable is optional. I am just curious. Is it better if I use it along with the speaker cable? What is the purpose of this connection?

Currently I have them both connected but I noticed no change if the cable is connected or not.

Thank you in advance.
Definitely don't feed it an LFE sub out. I do connect it to the center channel pre-out. I can't say it makes any difference at all, but it sure doesn't hurt either. I look at it like a fail safe to make sure the woofer is getting all the signal content possible.

Last edited by imakeller; 02-08-2016 at 05:27 PM.
imakeller is offline  
post #33913 of 33921 Old 02-08-2016, 05:10 PM
Member
 
imakeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tae408 View Post
Hi,

I was trying to buy a Def Tech CS8060HD center speaker at Best Buy but they are no longer orderable in their system, and they've been told that both the CS8060 and the CS8080 centers will be replaced soon this spring. I'm trying to decide whether to wait or get another.

Does anyone know what they'll be replacing those center speakers with? I have the 8060ST towers and need a center to match them with.

Thanks!
There has been some speculation here that the recent sales are signaling a new series from DT. I'd say if you can get a good deal on an 8060 or 8080, you'll be well served.

As far as what might be coming ... I hope it is awesome!! Give me a reason to upgrade, DT! Maybe something like the Golden Ear XXL with a return of 6.5" drivers!
LowellG likes this.
imakeller is offline  
post #33914 of 33921 Old 02-08-2016, 09:38 PM
Member
 
nandopr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by imakeller View Post
Definitely don't feed it an LFE sub out. I do connect it to the center channel pre-out. I can't say it makes any difference at all, but it sure doesn't hurt either. I look at it like a fail safe to make sure the woofer is getting all the signal content possible.

Thank you!
nandopr is offline  
post #33915 of 33921 Old 02-08-2016, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
ceh383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Acton, CA
Posts: 872
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
So, I've been wanting to upgrade my center speaker, CS8040HD, for a while now. It never has sounded as good as I thought it should, so I did a near field measurement of it. Looking at the response graph from REW, I now see why, the response of this speaker is horrible...



So, I ordered a CS8060HD from Bajawaverunner as many here suggest them as a source.
I got the 8060 only to find the amp will not turn on I'm now in the process of trying to get it replaced

Ok, I'm done venting now...I get to do the waiting game now

Yamaha RX-A2020 | Outlaw M-5000 | Oppo BDP-103 | Sony CDP-CE500
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST :
CS-8040HD : SR-8040BP | SVS PC12 Plus | PSA S1500
Sharp LC-70C6400U | miniDSP 2x4 : DDRC-88A | Belkin PureAV x2

http://www.rpm-psi.com
ceh383 is offline  
post #33916 of 33921 Old 02-08-2016, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Snowmanick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
So, I've been wanting to upgrade my center speaker, CS8040HD, for a while now. It never has sounded as good as I thought it should, so I did a near field measurement of it. Looking at the response graph from REW, I now see why, the response of this speaker is horrible...



So, I ordered a CS8060HD from Bajawaverunner as many here suggest them as a source.
I got the 8060 only to find the amp will not turn on I'm now in the process of trying to get it replaced

Ok, I'm done venting now...I get to do the waiting game now

That sucks about the amp.

IRT measuring, your graph say 6". I'm guessing that is to reduce/eliminate room interactions. With these center channel speaker systems it is going to be tricky though as you need to incorporate the front drivers, the top radiator/driver and the rear port to get a clear picture on what you are actually hearing though. Josh Ricci over at Data-bass.com was some interesting articles on how he measures systems like these.

Just something to keep in mind.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

"If it works the first time, it's not high end." ~ Harry Pierson
Snowmanick is offline  
post #33917 of 33921 Old 02-08-2016, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
ceh383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Acton, CA
Posts: 872
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post
That sucks about the amp.

IRT measuring, your graph say 6". I'm guessing that is to reduce/eliminate room interactions. With these center channel speaker systems it is going to be tricky though as you need to incorporate the front drivers, the top radiator/driver and the rear port to get a clear picture on what you are actually hearing though. Josh Ricci over at Data-bass.com was some interesting articles on how he measures systems like these.

Just something to keep in mind.
I hear what you are saying, and yes, 6" is to measure just the speaker.
What I see as the biggest issue is the 5~10db hole between 500hz and 6khz. A center channel should be somewhat flat in this range. I can see the drop off at 165hz being due to mic position, but I don't think that would account for all of it...

FYI, the 8040 doesn't have a rear port, just a passive radiator and DefTech says it's good down to 40hz

Yamaha RX-A2020 | Outlaw M-5000 | Oppo BDP-103 | Sony CDP-CE500
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST :
CS-8040HD : SR-8040BP | SVS PC12 Plus | PSA S1500
Sharp LC-70C6400U | miniDSP 2x4 : DDRC-88A | Belkin PureAV x2

http://www.rpm-psi.com
ceh383 is offline  
post #33918 of 33921 Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
ceh383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Acton, CA
Posts: 872
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
So, I ordered a CS8060HD from Bajawaverunner as many here suggest them as a source.
I got the 8060 only to find the amp will not turn on.
I got my replacement today and this one works
I took a few near field measurements to get the bass close to where it should be and decided to watch a movie instead of doing a new Dirac calibration...That can wait until next week.
My initial impression, greatly improved performance. Voices, both male and female are much eaiser to hear, so far I'm pleased with it. With a little tweaking it will only get better, and then proper calibration, I'll be golden.
The CS8060 is a huge improvement over the CS8040, although I think my 8040 had problems from the get-go...

Yamaha RX-A2020 | Outlaw M-5000 | Oppo BDP-103 | Sony CDP-CE500
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST :
CS-8040HD : SR-8040BP | SVS PC12 Plus | PSA S1500
Sharp LC-70C6400U | miniDSP 2x4 : DDRC-88A | Belkin PureAV x2

http://www.rpm-psi.com
ceh383 is offline  
post #33919 of 33921 Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM
Senior Member
 
dkyork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
I got my replacement today and this one works
I took a few near field measurements to get the bass close to where it should be and decided to watch a movie instead of doing a new Dirac calibration...That can wait until next week.
My initial impression, greatly improved performance. Voices, both male and female are much eaiser to hear, so far I'm pleased with it. With a little tweaking it will only get better, and then proper calibration, I'll be golden.
The CS8060 is a huge improvement over the CS8040, although I think my 8040 had problems from the get-go...
Awesome! For my 8080hd, I ran the Audyssey with the sub volume slightly above 12. After, I increased it to near 3 o'clock and it sounds great. Much richer sound up front now. I just need to upgrade my front l and r to 8080STs. However, I think 8060STs will be good enough and they're cheap from baja.
dkyork is online now  
post #33920 of 33921 Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
ceh383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Acton, CA
Posts: 872
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkyork View Post
Awesome! For my 8080hd, I ran the Audyssey with the sub volume slightly above 12. After, I increased it to near 3 o'clock and it sounds great. Much richer sound up front now. I just need to upgrade my front l and r to 8080STs. However, I think 8060STs will be good enough and they're cheap from baja.
I did some near field measurements and found 10~11 o'clock gave me the flattest response. It does blend well with my 8060ST's.
dkyork likes this.

Yamaha RX-A2020 | Outlaw M-5000 | Oppo BDP-103 | Sony CDP-CE500
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST :
CS-8040HD : SR-8040BP | SVS PC12 Plus | PSA S1500
Sharp LC-70C6400U | miniDSP 2x4 : DDRC-88A | Belkin PureAV x2

http://www.rpm-psi.com
ceh383 is offline  
post #33921 of 33921 Old Today, 07:52 AM
Member
 
jcalifornia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am limited to In-Walls for my L/R Fronts. I currently have DI 6.5S. The only other in-wall that fits that cutout or bigger is the DI 6.5LCR. How much of an upgrade is this? It effectively is adding another 6 1/2 mid woofer to each speaker. How much difference does this make? I currently have the CS-8080HD center and Denon AVR-X1000 receiver.
jcalifornia is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off