Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1153 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 269Likes

post #34561 of 34576 Old 07-16-2016, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Decision

I'm starting to build my own surround sound system home theater. Can you guys give me some insight between The mythos STS supertower and the new BP9060. The Mythos is obviously about $400 more expensive but that doesn't mean it's actually a better speaker as the bps are brand new and newer technology.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34562 of 34576 Old 07-16-2016, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon3_16 View Post
I'm starting to build my own surround sound system home theater. Can you guys give me some insight between The mythos STS supertower and the new BP9060. The Mythos is obviously about $400 more expensive but that doesn't mean it's actually a better speaker as the bps are brand new and newer technology.
Have you listened to bi polor Def Techs. Those 2 speakers are just different, their is no other way to put it. The mono vs BP will be noticeable. How far away from the wall front and sides can you put your fronts speakers? What will the reflections be like?

Lowell

The MarvelAtmos Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #34563 of 34576 Old 07-16-2016, 04:28 PM

Decision

post #34564 of 34576 Old 07-16-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
Have you listened to bi polor Def Techs. Those 2 speakers are just different, their is no other way to put it. The mono vs BP will be noticeable. How far away from the wall front and sides can you put your fronts speakers? What will the reflections be like?
I will be able to have the speakers about a foot off the wall. One speaker will have no wall next to it and the other will be about 2 feet away. Seating area aright in front of them about 10-12 feet away. Assuming your computer took mythos and changed it to mono, correct?

Yes I heard the bps, loved them but can't listen to the mythos anywhere within 100 miles of me...
post #34565 of 34576 Old 07-16-2016, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon3_16 View Post
I will be able to have the speakers about a foot off the wall. One speaker will have no wall next to it and the other will be about 2 feet away. Seating area aright in front of them about 10-12 feet away. Assuming your computer took mythos and changed it to mono, correct?

Yes I heard the bps, loved them but can't listen to the mythos anywhere within 100 miles of me...
No, I mean mono polar vs bi polar. If you are not going to have similar reflecting surfaces for both bi polars, I would go with the STSs or do what I did and put a good sub under an SM65 and have something way better than an STS.

Lowell

The MarvelAtmos Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #34566 of 34576 Old 07-17-2016, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What difference would I experience with four SR9040 surrounds vs. four SR9080 surrounds?

Thinking about getting full 9060 frontal. Just not sure about rears.

Thanks
post #34567 of 34576 Old 07-17-2016, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimform2k1 View Post
What difference would I experience with four SR9040 surrounds vs. four SR9080 surrounds?

Thinking about getting full 9060 frontal. Just not sure about rears.

Thanks
I owned the 8080s and I think you will be able to set those at 80 or 60 real easy. The 9040s I am not sure about. However, I sold my 8080s because I prefer monopole over bi pole.

Lowell

post #34568 of 34576 Old 07-20-2016, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbed27 View Post
I definitely sense the bass driver change compared to the 9060. The lows on the 9060's were amazing, but the low end on these seems a bit more balanced and "warmer".. If that makes sense. The mids and highs do seem to be competing less with the low end, and of course the imaging is wonderful.
Joe

Thank you for your review.

My one complaint is that at times the 8060's can be somewhat forward. Others may call it bright or perhaps they are merely revealing the mastering of the source. A somewhat warmer sound would work well with these speakers I would think.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #34569 of 34576 Old 07-20-2016, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Here's a weird one, maybe someone could shed some light on. My front l/r mains are pro monitor 1000's. Until yesterday they've resided on a bookshelf. Wanting better sound I got the Def tech stands, mounted them and re ran audyssey.
For some odd reason it set the crossover to 150hz on them, where previously it would set it between 60-80hz, with 80 my preferred.
So now why all of a sudden just bc they are on stands does audyssey think they need to be crossed over so high? Ugh..
Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!
post #34570 of 34576 Old 07-20-2016, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Here's a weird one, maybe someone could shed some light on. My front l/r mains are pro monitor 1000's. Until yesterday they've resided on a bookshelf. Wanting better sound I got the Def tech stands, mounted them and re ran audyssey.
For some odd reason it set the crossover to 150hz on them, where previously it would set it between 60-80hz, with 80 my preferred.
So now why all of a sudden just bc they are on stands does audyssey think they need to be crossed over so high? Ugh..
Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!
My guess is that you were getting bass reinforcement (for good or ill) when placing them near other objects (on a bookshelf, perhaps nearer a wall?). When you put them on a stand and move them into the room a bit, they lose some of that reinforcement and you'll see less bass (again, for good or ill). I would personally change the crossover back to closer to 80, but maybe keep it at something like 100 since you've lost some of that extra bass.
ALtlOff likes this.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 106" 0.8 Gain Monoprice Multi-format Screen, Darbee, PS4, w/ Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030, NAD C370 (for Front L/R), SVS PB-2000, SVS PC-2000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, 2 SM55 for sides, and 2 PM1000 for rears.
post #34571 of 34576 Old 07-20-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
My guess is that you were getting bass reinforcement (for good or ill) when placing them near other objects (on a bookshelf, perhaps nearer a wall?). When you put them on a stand and move them into the room a bit, they lose some of that reinforcement and you'll see less bass (again, for good or ill). I would personally change the crossover back to closer to 80, but maybe keep it at something like 100 since you've lost some of that extra bass.
That's what I was thinking too, still seems awfully high..
I'd change it back to 100hz but then it wouldn't have any audyssey filtering between 100- 150hz...
post #34572 of 34576 Old 07-20-2016, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
That's what I was thinking too, still seems awfully high..
I'd change it back to 100hz but then it wouldn't have any audyssey filtering between 100- 150hz...
Did you only run audyssey once? It could be a fluke or a few inches of mic movement will change something. I'd try running audyssey again and see if it changes anything in a second take. I don't have much experience with audyssey though, so I don't know how much it might vary in iterations.

I have my SM65s currently set to a 100Hz crossover as with REW and hours of measurements I've determined that seems to work the best for all my speakers (I have a global crossover to work with).

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 106" 0.8 Gain Monoprice Multi-format Screen, Darbee, PS4, w/ Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030, NAD C370 (for Front L/R), SVS PB-2000, SVS PC-2000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, 2 SM55 for sides, and 2 PM1000 for rears.
post #34573 of 34576 Old 07-20-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
Did you only run audyssey once? It could be a fluke or a few inches of mic movement will change something. I'd try running audyssey again and see if it changes anything in a second take. I don't have much experience with audyssey though, so I don't know how much it might vary in iterations.

I have my SM65s currently set to a 100Hz crossover as with REW and hours of measurements I've determined that seems to work the best for all my speakers (I have a global crossover to work with).
Yes, just once. I'll give it another whirl later and see where it sets them at. It got all my other speakers correct though which makes me believe it was something with the stands/ acoustics of the bookshelf etc..
post #34574 of 34576 Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dialing in BP8060 towers?

I have 2 brand new BP8060 towers, CS8080, and 2 new SR8080's in the rear - with 2 dedicated HSU true subs. My AVR has Audyssey multeq32. I ran Audyssey and it set ALL speakers to large and Xover to 60hz.

I set the rears and center to small, left the 8060 fronts on large & the Xover at 60 - it really sounds great! Should I also set the front 8060 towers to small? I'm torn on this, because they sound so good on Large compared to my old ProMon 1000's.

I read an old thread that Chris K from audyssey was posting to and he recommends small for the 8060's. See below:

"If your AVR has Audyssey MultEQ or MultEQ XT then it's imperative that you set the subs up as true subs (via the Sub Out). That's because the subwoofer filters have 8x higher resolution than the speaker filters. All speakers must be set to Small even if the AVR insists on setting them to Large."

I just wondered if others have personally experimented with this on these speakers or similar? I know Chris is the Audyssey GURU, but I always value a 2nd opinion especially from fellow DefTech owners.

I only use Audyssey for TV and movies - disable for Music. The 8060's should be running in large with my setup when Audyssey is disabled right?

After I hear enough material with all the different settings/combinations, I'll have a better idea and my ears will know the difference. Appreciate any input.
post #34575 of 34576 Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuyler Bain View Post
I have 2 brand new BP8060 towers, CS8080, and 2 new SR8080's in the rear - with 2 dedicated HSU true subs. My AVR has Audyssey multeq32. I ran Audyssey and it set ALL speakers to large and Xover to 60hz.

I set the rears and center to small, left the 8060 fronts on large & the Xover at 60 - it really sounds great! Should I also set the front 8060 towers to small? I'm torn on this, because they sound so good on Large compared to my old ProMon 1000's.

I read an old thread that Chris K from audyssey was posting to and he recommends small for the 8060's. See below:

"If your AVR has Audyssey MultEQ or MultEQ XT then it's imperative that you set the subs up as true subs (via the Sub Out). That's because the subwoofer filters have 8x higher resolution than the speaker filters. All speakers must be set to Small even if the AVR insists on setting them to Large."

I just wondered if others have personally experimented with this on these speakers or similar? I know Chris is the Audyssey GURU, but I always value a 2nd opinion especially from fellow DefTech owners.

I only use Audyssey for TV and movies - disable for Music. The 8060's should be running in large with my setup when Audyssey is disabled right?

After I hear enough material with all the different settings/combinations, I'll have a better idea and my ears will know the difference. Appreciate any input.
Personally, I love the sound much more when they are set as large. I used to have 8060 towers and now I'm running the 9060's for fronts. I've tried them both ways, and for music, I much prefer them full range. I have 9060 fronts, 8060 center and 8040's for the surrounds.

I have xt32 and I've found that if I set the gain to 9:00 and run Audyssey, then right about the 1:00 position gives me the best lows post calibration, but that will be different for everyone based on the space. I run mine in a 4600 cubic foot basement space and I'm still shocked at how great the lows are. I run an SVS pc2000 with home theater and think I need 1 more to balance it out but I keep my sub off for music.

I am still conflicted on whether or not I like music more with or without Audyssey... On some tracks it sounds better with, and on some without, I'm still trying to decide on that one...

Congrats on your new setup!

Joe
post #34576 of 34576 Old Today, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbed27 View Post
Personally, I love the sound much more when they are set as large. I used to have 8060 towers and now I'm running the 9060's for fronts. I've tried them both ways, and for music, I much prefer them full range. I have 9060 fronts, 8060 center and 8040's for the surrounds.

I have xt32 and I've found that if I set the gain to 9:00 and run Audyssey, then right about the 1:00 position gives me the best lows post calibration, but that will be different for everyone based on the space. I run mine in a 4600 cubic foot basement space and I'm still shocked at how great the lows are. I run an SVS pc2000 with home theater and think I need 1 more to balance it out but I keep my sub off for music.

I am still conflicted on whether or not I like music more with or without Audyssey... On some tracks it sounds better with, and on some without, I'm still trying to decide on that one...

Congrats on your new setup!

Joe
Interesting - thanks for the feedback. I'll try turning the gain to 9oclock next time I run Audyssey. I had it about 11 last time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page